Operating A Private Plane From Chiang Mai

solent01

I know there are expats that operate private aircraft in the area, just want to know if any are members here or if someone can put me in touch with someone. I need info as I am thinking about the options of operating a plane from Chiang Mai, Thanks.

Edited by solent01

You can check this site -

http://www.nokaviation.com/

What type of flying? Do you currently fly somewhere else in LOS? If not be prepared to deal with a bureaucracy very discouraging toward GA.

Thanks for the links people.

cloudhopper, I assume you are asking me if I intend to operate as a commercial entity? No, I would just like to operate a fixed wing single or multi engine for my own private use. No, I don't currently fly in LOS, but I am a JAA-FI holder, and dealing with Thai bureacracy can't be any worse than dealing with the CAA (Campaign Against Aviation) in the UK, which is why I also hold a stand-alone FAA PPL-IR :jap:

OK glad you don't want to fly helicopters! Well my previous experience was all with the US FAA and I always found them to be very helpful, and the US allows lots of discretion in airspace use. Well all the best there certainly is a small group of locals and expats doing what you are interested in around here, at least on rare occasions. Here's one more link to the lighter side of sport aviation in the area and I also saw someone flying a paraglider from the hills not far from this field the other day - http://www.thongkwaoflying.com/

looked into rotary 7 odd years ago ;) I take it things are just the same with that :rolleyes:

Agree 100% about the Feds, thats why I have the FAA PPL-IR. I would be looking at importing an AG-5B, these being my favourite basic (fixed gear & prop for maintenance simplicity) 4 seater, with IFR capability. The reason I started this thread is that I want to know about maintenance issues etc. in Thailand, basically how good are the maintenance organisations, or is this something one would take care of outside LOS. I intend to operate mostly between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son, and at times will be under IFR. So need to find other Expat operators who maintain aircraft to this standard, to get the full sp.

Cloudhopper, are you paivortex on youtube? I'm green with envy ;)

Edited by solent01

looked into rotary 7 odd years ago ;) I take it things are just the same with that :rolleyes:

I went that route briefly coming from a fixed wing PPL. Remember walking back to debrief after a training flight and overheard a couple of pilots commenting 'those things aren't meant to fly'. :D Have to admit to thinking the same and decided not to continue. It flies just like a plane except for those darn takeoffs and landings. ;)

Perhaps a more sophisticated one than like the one I flew below would made a difference.

Bell47Helicopter_1.jpg

Bell 47, lovely little chopper. A know a guy who learnt in an old Hiller that had wooden blades :blink::lol:

Thanks T_Dog, found that after doing a forum search :jap:

Is it still the case that Farang can't fly rotary in LOS? That was the case 7 years ago.

Edited by solent01

Bell 47, lovely little chopper. A know a guy who learnt in an old Hiller that had wooden blades :blink::lol:

Thanks T_Dog, found that after doing a forum search :jap:

Yeah that's a real classic and probably a lot safer than the R22 I did my training in. Well good luck on the twin search that's a nice dream and IMO MHS is a very beautiful little provincial capital filled with good vibes every time i visit...

I went that route briefly coming from a fixed wing PPL. Remember walking back to debrief after a training flight and overheard a couple of pilots commenting 'those things aren't meant to fly'. :D Have to admit to thinking the same and decided not to continue. It flies just like a plane except for those darn takeoffs and landings. ;)

Perhaps a more sophisticated one than like the one I flew below would made a difference.

Bell47Helicopter_1.jpg

Great Pic.. Looks like an old G4 as we called it in the seventies. Great flying machine, great visibility all round, but lacked lift in hot weather....somewhat more than the skeeter...but then we moved onto the scout aircraft which preceded the gazelle from aerospatiale from france. And then of course came the Lynx twin turbo engined multi purpose chopper. Happy days rolleyes.gif

Edited by Raindancer

The Chiang Mai Flying club does not exist any more.

They moved to Nok and they went bankrupt a couple months later.

Ask Yves or Tony at Nok.

Cloudhopper getting your PPL in the USA for foreigners is not that easy anymore ( after 9/11).

I want to learn to fly a Cessna 120- 140

The Chiang Mai Flying club does not exist any more.

They moved to Nok and they went bankrupt a couple months later.

Ask Yves or Tony at Nok.

Cloudhopper getting your PPL in the USA for foreigners is not that easy anymore ( after 9/11).

I want to learn to fly a Cessna 120- 140

Hi SomchaiCNX, I've been reading a little about this on the net, Nok was started up after the partners at Chiang Mai Flying Club had a disagreement or something? So Nok opened thier field practicly next door to CMFC?

Your saying that CMFC then moved to Nok, but soon went under?

Not that any of the politics matter, I just need to join a club first so I can endorse/convert/get a stand alone/what ever my FAA PPL

Who is this character Ed with the Meridian HS-TOM, is he an instructor and does he do type ratings in the PA-46?

How does one acquire an aircraft here? I would assume the red tape and duties would be murderous. I guess you have some idea of the cost. What would that be?

If you import one it's 7% VAT and indeed several hoops to jump through getting the many documents required. Foreign nationals cannot own a Thai registered aircraft (edit - including ultralights) so you will need to make arrangements similar to buying land. The flying clubs can help you do it.

Edited by cloudhopper

Silent 01, yes, your last post is correct.<div><br><div>Cloudhopper, looks like the airplane in your name is not the problem but the radio license.</div><div><br></div><div>My guess is that a shipping container from the West coast (USA) is cheaper than the east coast?</div><div><br></div><div>Want to build a CH 701 but found out there are plenty of airplanes for sale right now in the US that are cheaper than a Kit.</div><div><br></div><div><a href="http://www.barnstormers.com/cat.php">http://www.barnstormers.com/cat.php</a></div><div><br></div><div>insertmember</div></div><div><a href="http://www.sunshine-aviation.co.cc/">http://www.sunshine-aviation.co.cc/</a></div>

Can the aircraft be owned and Permitted under a company Name? I understand aircraft here operate on a 5 year permit, but what is required for interim inspections, is there an annual or something? What is the sp with the radio license, lenght and inspection of avionics, compass swing etc for IFR?

Thanks for the input so far, you've all been very helpful :jap: I'm going to drive down to Nok and talk with them when I can get away from Fang.

I know I'm jumping the gun some what, but do Nok have land for sale as in an airpark? Lanna do but the runway is a little tight for what I have in mind, no room for safety to operate a twin/turbine, let alone at MAUW, although the hard runway is a +

Cloudhopper, thank you for your personal information. <div><br><div>I got different, conflicting information from different people.</div><div><br></div><div>I never asked how the owner of the CH 701 in Cha Am did it.</div><div>Looks like a standard thing when doing your research about things in Thailand.</div><div>They also change their regulations very fast.</div><div><br></div><div>I think my son would love to get an airplane from his father :)</div><div><br></div><div>I became a member of the international Cessna 120/140 Association already last year.</div><div>Nice people, with a lot of information available for their members.</div><div>Plenty of information about Mechanics and CFI, but most are not part of a school registered by the  FAA  Part 141</div><div><div><br></div><div><br></div></div></div>

Solent01

I wouldstrongly suggest that you meet with the Thai DCA as well as the AOT in BKK

Theimmediate issues that would need to be resolved prior to flying your fixed wing into Thailand would be:

Aircraft Importationissues

Aircraft Maintenanceas well as the required Maintenance Control Manuals for type

ForeignValidation for the applicable licence you hold

Landing/Navigationalas well as Passenger handling fees

Currency

Insurance

SinglePilot IFR............I believe that it is not approved in Thailand

Hangarspace availability

Also, please note that the Importationof parts into Thailand can be costly and time consuming.

Solent01

I wouldstrongly suggest that you meet with the Thai DCA as well as the AOT in BKK

Theimmediate issues that would need to be resolved prior to flying your fixed wing into Thailand would be:

Aircraft Importationissues

Aircraft Maintenanceas well as the required Maintenance Control Manuals for type

ForeignValidation for the applicable licence you hold

Landing/Navigationalas well as Passenger handling fees

Currency

Insurance

SinglePilot IFR............I believe that it is not approved in Thailand

Hangarspace availability

Also, please note that the Importationof parts into Thailand can be costly and time consuming.

Interesting points; I hadn't heard about the single pilot IFR rule. Well good luck finding anyone in authority there to talk to, the person they sent to give the seminar in CM did not appear to have any flying experience beyond business class. Try getting a current WAC or sectional chart while you're there too, if you can....

Thanks Wingman, first thing I'm going to do is go and visit Nok Airfield and talk to the guys and gals that run it. I will join their club and apply to Validate my FAA-PPL, which will require me to attend a DCA test day / days so as to sit Thai Air Law also Human Performance and Limitations, I teach the JAA syllabus in the UK (I'm sure Thai Air Law is based some what on FAA Air Law) so not worried about jumping through these hoops at all. Then I can rent aircraft from the club after a check out flight / flights from whom ever, this is standard procedure at any club around the world. I will look into operating my own aircraft further once I have done the above.

In spite of the fact that we don't have a ballpark figure for the costs, I personally would think that trying to own and fly and house and fuel a plane here would be more trouble than it could possibly be worth. What is wrong with flying domestic to and from Mae Hong Son? No fuss, no muss, just get on the plane and be there. And I think you could probably fly that way your whole life and still save huge amounts of money (and headaches) over doing it with your own transportation.

Kan Air flies round trip from Chiang Mai for 2,980 baht.

Seems like the obvious solution to me.

Seems like the obvious solution to me.

I would say you are missing the point of this topic. Flying an aircraft personally is not about getting from point A to point B as much as it is the pleasure/enjoyment of it. For many of us it's a hobby and a way to relax. Not too many karaokes up there to stress out over. ;)

@ Insert, so why having a Thai wife or partner? It is cheaper to rent one if you need one.

Smaller airplanes are cheaper to buy than a BMW or average SUV if you don't mind all the paper work involved.

@ Solent01 the landings strips are not to short, your choice of plane is to big :)

With a smaller plane or a STOL aircraft you would be able to fly to all landing strips in the area or even build your own if you get permission from the DCA.

It is like buying a road bike or a mountain bike. While a road bike in the west would be a good choice the mountain bike will serve you better in Thailand.