International Calling

eek

As an alternative to net calling (skype etc), is there a possible way of calling via my mobile to a mobile in other countries?

Just wondered if there is some kind of calling card available. Not sure what the options are, if any.

I use AIS 1-2-call.

Thanks so much. :)

There use to be ( i haven't bought one for a while) international calling cards you could get at 7/11 and you dial the number on them and put in the pin code under the scratch off section on the card and you get cheaper than normal rates.

I used to buy them at Buddy Internet shop on Huay Kaew Rd. The cheapest ones were one baht per minute to the US and then it was either a CAT or ToT phone card that was 2 baht/ minute but much better voice quality.

-Mestizo

I think the Zay Hi card is very good. I use it just about every week to call the USA and Europe. I think the quality of the calls are better than the ones they sell at Buddy's. I used those when I first came here. Zay Hi dropped the rate from 0.85 satang a minute to 0.35/0.45 per minute on many locations. USA is 0.45 satang per minute, U.K. 0.88 satang, Switzerland 0.95, Spain 0.85, etc. Some countries are much more like Russia is 2.9 Baht/minute.

I call a number in BKK, hang up and they call me back automatically so there is no local charges. You only pay the cost of 1 minute to BKK and then the per minute charge on the Zay Hi card. They come in 300 and 500 Baht cards. They are sold all over including the Post Office.

Edit: I just noticed you said you want to call a mobile. Those calls are more. I never call a mobile, only a land line so I've never paid attention to the costs for calling mobiles.

Edited by elektrified

I thought you can use your existing phone to call anywhere in the world without using a calling card. It's just the rates which may be different. You may dial 001, 009, or 007. Personally, I have a special number from TRUE that costs me B1 per minute calling the US, Canada and among any other countries. For the OP using AIS, you may just go to a 7-11 and ask for a calling card to darm pratep (outside of Thailand). Go to a 7-11, hold up your phone and say: gard tor darm pratep.

"Go to a 7-11, hold up your phone and say: gard tor darm pratep."

With luck they will see the phone and figure out what pratep is supposed to be.

Otherwise, just say: Gard tor darm it! I want a calling card.

They definitely will not understand "pratep"!

Actually, I thought "pratep" had a better chance than gard, tor, or darm.

To be fair to mucho, it seems a lot of transliteration methods go crazy with "r" sounds for no reason I can discern.

I usually use skype but If I cant get through for some reason. I use Hatari cards from 7-11, you can buy 300, 500 or 1000thb of international credit.

I find Hatari the easiest to use. You only have to put your pin number in on the first occasions and after that you just dial, let it ring once, hang-up and they call you back. Then follow the prompts

Hatari from the 7-11's, ZayHi from the post office, 005,006,007,008,009 from the local phone companies. If you are calling one country most of the time, its worth getting a skype membership to that country. get a skype/usb converter so you can plug a regular phone into it and dial normally. Unless you are calling the US or Cananda, MagicJack is cheaper.

I use a couple of different cards depending where I am.

For onshore use in Thailand using my mobile I use CAT Thailand calling card as the 1544 access number is toll free from mobiles in Thailand. These are available all over the place 7/11 etc and reasonale rates.. However as I also use it when offshore to ring international I actually buy off the internet. The site is thaitelephone dot com and is a bit of a pain to set up an account, but once set up you can buy most of the cards mentioned here. Also I buy 1000 Baht at a time as opposed to the 100 Baht from 7/11 etc. Cannot be used for ringing within Thailand. TOT cards are expensive and seem to be poor quality lines. CAT I rarely have problems with.

I also use an I Talk card for ringing within Thailand from work. This is also useful for ringing back to Thailand from Australia. This can also be bought at the same website.

Cheers

Edited by Litlos

Thanks guys, appreciate that. Will look into those different options. :wai:

"Go to a 7-11, hold up your phone and say: gard tor darm pratep."

With luck they will see the phone and figure out what pratep is supposed to be.

Otherwise, just say: Gard tor darm it! I want a calling card.

They definitely will not understand "pratep"!

Actually, I thought "pratep" had a better chance than gard, tor, or darm.

To be fair to mucho, it seems a lot of transliteration methods go crazy with "r" sounds for no reason I can discern.

..Im thinking it must be ประเทศ / bpratet, as in "country". (การ์ดโทรประเทศ / gad toh bpratet / literal translation: card telephone country )

true inter simcard 50 bt at central ksk free at the airport on arrival

most calls 1 - 1.50 bt /min refill at 7/11

I tried that on a friend's mobile a couple of times and the quality of the call was terrible. They even tell you at the True shop that the quality is not very good.