Thai Army Chief Cautious On Emergency Law

webfact

Army chief cautious on emergency law

The Nation

30168868-01.jpg

An emergency decree would not alter the flood situation because the real issue was about effective law enforcement, Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said yesterday.

"To enforce a draconian law would certainly impact on the people and the question is whether flood-hit Thais would agree to abide by such a law," he said.

Prayuth said the government would have to decide whether emergency rule, if imposed, was a worthwhile option. In past cases of emergency rule, people were arrested for violating the ban on restricted areas, resulting in a large amount of litigation, much of which remained inconclusive, he said.

In several flood-hit areas, people broke down dykes, he said. Under existing provisions, trespassing on or destroying public property was an offence.

He said he did not expect the situation to improve even if the authorities arrested everyone living near the dykes. He urged police to talk to local residents instead of invoking the law. He also suggested the Flood Relief Operations Centre designate agencies and officials responsible for each flood zone in order to avoid confusion on relief and rescue efforts.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-31

i don't think he means "the lesbians" ;)

"He said he did not expect the situation to improve even if the authorities arrested everyone living near the dykes."

What a weird statement....................jap.gif

Dykes.......Careful, your age is showingbiggrin.gif

Notice his comment about needing the police to enforce the law? It's not just that side of things, the police have been noticably absent in all photos I've seen from the front lines of flood defence ... maybe don't want to get their skin-tight uniforms wet in case they shrink further and strangulate the parts that don't bear thinking about.

Seriously, I've seen photos and films of all Thai uniformed services (Army, Air Force, Navy, Firemen, civil servants, etc and even monks) working to build / repair flood walls ... but not one picture of police pitching in and fulfilling the "protect and serve" bit of their motto. If the police were seen to be more willing to pitch in and help with emergencies like this, the public might be more willing to obey them at other times.

Thai Police not on the scene as there is no way to make money from flooded out people. Immense loss of face to demand money from these (now) very poor people. Farangs all Pai Leo, Leo from BKK to Pattaya or Issan. Must have brother police officer to stopping Farangs in Issan for 200 ThB contribution to Policeman Benefit Fund. My farang friend was going 90 KPH on Hwy 2 in Khon Khen. Hwy Police stop ask for 200 ThB fine for speed. Farang golfers asking where is radar. Policeman saying before on Hwy 2. We are saying no, we not see. OK him saying other way. Him speaking good Angkarit. Very funny. Usually these police can not speaking Angkarit?

:burp:

Notice his comment about needing the police to enforce the law? It's not just that side of things, the police have been noticably absent in all photos I've seen from the front lines of flood defence ... maybe don't want to get their skin-tight uniforms wet in case they shrink further and strangulate the parts that don't bear thinking about.

Seriously, I've seen photos and films of all Thai uniformed services (Army, Air Force, Navy, Firemen, civil servants, etc and even monks) working to build / repair flood walls ... but not one picture of police pitching in and fulfilling the "protect and serve" bit of their motto. If the police were seen to be more willing to pitch in and help with emergencies like this, the public might be more willing to obey them at other times.

I've seen a few of them out there.

But generally they follow their leader, the newly appointed and highly incompetent Brother in Law ... and also isn't Charlerm Minister of Interior? <deleted> is he? Why isn't he getting his photo ops ordering the cops around telling them to help people?

An emergency decree would not alter the flood situation because the real issue was about effective law enforcement, Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said yesterday.

Translation:

He is saying that he does not trust Thaksin to support rather than undermine the work of the army if a SOE was declared.

Translation:

He is saying that he does not trust Thaksin to support rather than undermine the work of the army if a SOE was declared.

Actually, I think he's saying that the police should do their job. I wonder if the police actually know what their job is.

Translation:

No he's not saying that.In fact no possible interpretation could permit such a meaning.Read his statement again and think more carefully before you post please.

This guy does talk straight most times. But this kind of statement is not exactly going to make him popular at the Army Club. :rolleyes:

So, if I counted correctly, this is the second time, the Chief of the armed forces is making a statement like this, saying it is not neccesary to call for SOE.

Please read again: the CHIEF of the armed forces!

Except for yoshiwara (who obviously lost grip somehow) where are all you SOE- supporters?

Tell the man he is wrong and you know better!

BTW: I believe exactly, he just wants to be kept out of this mess and remembered as the guy, who made some young men work incredibly hard, to prevent the worst.

He is doing a good job at that, so much is sure!

So, if I counted correctly, this is the second time, the Chief of the armed forces is making a statement like this, saying it is not neccesary to call for SOE.

Except for yoshiwara (who obviously lost grip somehow) where are all you SOE- supporters?

BTW: I believe exactly, he just wants to be kept out of this mess and remembered as the guy, who made some young men work incredibly hard, to prevent the worst.

What's up Doc - what do you expect the guy to do?

He is saying if the coppers do their job, it won't be needed.

I am all for what he says (strange enough)! I am just waiting! I wanna hear all the SOE- fans to tell him that he is wrong!

I am all for what he says (strange enough)! I am just waiting! I wanna hear all the SOE- fans to tell him that he is wrong!

I think he is smart politically to not call for it. That's the PM's job to decide. Like a chess match really - or a game of hot (wet) potato.

The Chief is wrong and I know better!

Can you back that up with some facts? It would make the conversation so much more enjoyable!

Can you back that up with some facts? It would make the conversation so much more enjoyable!

I was only following your orders.

As a Thai, we are not taught to think, but merely following orders.

Cabinet Forms Flood Emergency Panel

The Cabinet has appointed Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung to oversee traffic and security during the current flooding situation and the national police force has been mobilized to assist the flood victims.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung announced after the Cabinet meeting today that he has been appointed to head the committee that will oversee traffic and security during current flooding disaster.

They are forming this NOW, after HOW MANY weeks? :ermm:

Translation:

No he's not saying that.In fact no possible interpretation could permit such a meaning.Read his statement again and think more carefully before you post please.

I agree. With Dept. PM Chalerm just setting up a team for law enforcement, with the PM and other cabinet ministers and FROCs frequently telling us 'the worst is over' and of course "we don't want to upset tourists nor investors" there is no need at all for a SoE :rolleyes:

Oh yes a chalenge is laid down, in Thai speak

this is throwing down the gauntlet after slapping Thaksin's Bro In Law across the gob. Hey you are dropping the ball, and we are NOT picking it up for you.

You wanted it, you take the consequences.

Edited by animatic

The Cabinet has appointed Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung to oversee traffic and security during the current flooding situation and the national police force has been mobilized to assist the flood victims.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung announced after the Cabinet meeting today that he has been appointed to head the committee that will oversee traffic and security during current flooding disaster.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__4813879

Interesting that :

a ) Chalerm finally resurfaces ( pun intended)

Possibly connected to his house being flooded?

Or due to many comments about his going to ground lately?

Or was he on some super quiet roadshow mending fences or begging / groveling for aid from certain corners? Maybe a face to facade with the boss?

b ) The dread word EMERGENCY is used.

Is this the first hint that they want to pass the buck to the army?

c ) It 'seems' the Police are only NOW being

"mobilized to assist the flood victims " ...

What i Hades have they BEEN doing all this time?

d ) Traffic is suddenly such a huge security priority?

Is there even more water coming and they need to pull

'D-Day in reverse', 'Exodus' etc???

Satellite pic from 30th shows 4-5 times the size of Greater Bangkok in water waiting up hill / stream. Will serious traffic control be needed when this goes really, really bad sooner than imagined and worse beyond most peoples nightmares?

Edited by animatic

Interesting that :

Or was he on some super quiet roadshow mending fences or begging / groveling for aid from certain corners? Maybe a face to facade with the boss?

c ) It 'seems' the Police are only NOW being "mobilized to assist the flood victims " ... What i Hades have they BEEN doing all this time?

Is there even more water coming and they need to pull 'D-Day in reverse', 'Exodus' etc???

Satellite pic from 30th shows 4-5 times the size of Greater Bangkok in water waiting up hill / stream. Will serious traffic control be needed when this goes really, really bad sooner than imagine and worse beyond most peoples nightmares?

The horse has bolted hours ago,.. The stable door is securely closed and Chalerm has gone shopping for a rope. Great. :lol:

Edited by ratcatcher

I suppose the army does not want to be put against Thai people when there will be need to protect the barriers.. fighting with criminals etc.

Where is the police now. They should be doing this work. That's why they get salaries.

/s

Why won't anyone give these guys a break?

C'mon, they have not been the ruling party since way back in 2008.

You can't possibly expect them to remember how the ship of state is to be steered after all that time!

Learning curve, people!

Sheesh.

/s

Interesting that :

a ) Chalerm finally resurfaces ( pun intended) <SNIP>

I really hate to bring this up, but he was rumoured to have been in Chiang Rai dealing with the (shhh) Chinese problem.

He is also rumoured to be the Drug Czar (complete coincidence).

Something he may actually be qualified for.

Edit: typo

Edited by joe beets

Interesting that :

c ) It 'seems' the Police are only NOW being "mobilized to assist the flood victims " ... What i Hades have they BEEN doing all this time?

Is there even more water coming and they need to pull 'D-Day in reverse', 'Exodus' etc???

Satellite pic from 30th shows 4-5 times the size of Greater Bangkok in water waiting up hill / stream. Will serious traffic control be needed when this goes really, really bad sooner than imagine and worse beyond most peoples nightmares?

The horse has bolted hours ago,.. The stable door is securely closed and Chalerm has gone shopping for a rope. Great. :lol:

Interesting that :

You all know who the 'leader' of this country is:

-makes you wonder if all of this was due to incmpetence, negligence....or other

-matter of fact, to what should we attribute all these weeks of inaction???

-the military's hands were tied at the crucial time

-even American and U.N. aid was declined

NOW THEY WANT TO THROW THE MESS INTO THE MILITARY'S HANDS TO SHIFT THE BLAME AND THE ANGER OF THE THAI POPULATION

The lame script of this real-life soap opera continues....a shameful sham