A New Capital City For Thailand ?

argentum

Seeing as most flooded factories are ruined anyway, and Bangkok is just a sprawling mess resulting from no-one ever having fore-planned anything, ever, at some point the Thais might just decide enough in enough. They don't have any money and I haven't really though this through but Thailand's government, in an attempt to stimulate economic growth, might take it's cue from China which has an astonishing 65 million unoccupied homes - really - entire 'ghost' cities. This has lead to speculation that China is the next bubble, but in the mean time it has revealed fantastic possibilities. Tianjin Eco-city was built from scratch with input from British designers and even GM; it's like a prototype for sustainable communities with renewable energy and mass transit. That's really what the future needs; entire eco-cities built from scratch, not old adapted new ones.

Somewhere, I don't know where exactly, on the Eastern seaboard in Chon Buri would make a perfect new capital.

Somewhere, I don't know where exactly, on the Eastern seaboard in Chon Buri would make a perfect new capital.

Si Racha is one of the fastest growing towns in Thailand which is just down the coast from Chonburi - lots of industrial estates nearby, and two new estates being built, housing estates being built everywhere. This expansion was going on before all the flooding in Bangkok / Ayutthaya.

Good lord, this thread is full of drama queens spouting nonsense (no offense ladies:-)

This is a once in a lifetime flooding event. sure there are smaller localized floods every year- but no worse in terms of urban problems than 90% of other cities around the world.

Good lord, this thread is full of drama queens spouting nonsense (no offense ladies:-)

This is a once in a lifetime flooding event. sure there are smaller localized floods every year- but no worse in terms of urban problems than 90% of other cities around the world.

I think you're wrong, but time will tell. Do some research on lots of credible predictions for the sinking of Bangkok within 20 years. It can be prevented with expensive engineering, but to expect the Thai government to get that together would be wildly optimistic. Edited by Jingthing

How many countries that have moved their capitals have seen the new capital become much more than administritive centre?

I fail to see how declaring Chiang Mai, for example, the new capital would see business relocate their operations there. Bangkok is the commercial hub, and it'll take more than moving government a few hundred miles away to change that.

Until it floods every year and becomes impossible nothing will change, London is also at risk of flooding all they do is increase the barriers, so its flood 3-4- times in the last 50 odd years................. what do you think??

How many countries that have moved their capitals have seen the new capital become much more than administritive centre?

I fail to see how declaring Chiang Mai, for example, the new capital would see business relocate their operations there. Bangkok is the commercial hub, and it'll take more than moving government a few hundred miles away to change that.

Which is why they chose Chachaensao, it's still close to the commercial hub of the country.

Which is why they chose Chachaensao, it's still close to the commercial hub of the country.

What this city looks like ?

How many people live there ?

Edited by argentum