Police Shakedown On Loi Kroh Rd

millwall_fan

In all seriousness though, it's NOT just the Farang bar scene. It wouldn't be much of an issue if it was. (hey; free barfines at midnight! ;) ) The issue is that it's nit just the tourist bars, but everything. Otherwise you'd just move elsewhere; cheaper beer and prettier girls too.

It's everywhere, and affecting locals, expats and tourists alike.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At midnight tonight heavy police presence on Loi Kroh - was inside a bar with about 5 other foriegn customers and the owner (Thai) had the shutters quickly closed fully as soon as a semi plain clothed Policeman started taking

photos through the half closed shutters of those inside at 12:10

Had to stay locked inside for an hour with lights off until the all clear

Not my idea of a good night out.. This is not the usual annual shakedown

Someone wants the 'Falang' bar beer scene finished..

But as most of the Chiang Mai traditional architecture has been torn down by the same 'ethnic' business owners that are complaining about the nightlife bar scene for the tourists, together with the shut down

or the early closing of the pub/bar scene, the word will get around "Don't bother going to Chiang Mai ".. Overdeveloped traffic choked polluted .. bars close at midnight..

Absolutely agree with you.

And yet so many are blind to these facts.

As I said previous, I cannot see much future for the tourist industry in Chiang Mai and what you have described has happened last night, it appears the writings already on the wall.

Also take my word for it, the message "Don't bother going to Chiang Mai ".. has already got round. I was around the area last night and the amount of farangs I saw, I could count on one hand, this of course apparently being the high season.

It is now just a matter of time before it`s all gone.

Just happened to be at the Red Lion Bar last night having dinner and a few drinks. At 8.15 pm there was not one seat available for dining.People were waiting to be seated. No it was not some special event just full of mainly tourists having a night out.The writing is not on the wall, as you put it, in fact just the opposite. While the euro etc may be struggling Thailand is still a very cheap and loved destination.Your emotional "just a matter of time before its all gone" is totally misleading and without any foundation apart from your one man survey.

At midnight tonight heavy police presence on Loi Kroh - was inside a bar with about 5 other foriegn customers and the owner (Thai) had the shutters quickly closed fully as soon as a semi plain clothed Policeman started taking

But as most of the Chiang Mai traditional architecture has been torn down by the same 'ethnic' business owners that are complaining about the nightlife bar scene for the tourists, together with the shut down

or the early closing of the pub/bar scene, the word will get around "Don't bother going to Chiang Mai ".. Overdeveloped traffic choked polluted .. bars close at midnight..

As I said previous, I cannot see much future for the tourist industry in Chiang Mai and what you have described has happened last night, it appears the writings already on the wall.

Also take my word for it, the message "Don't bother going to Chiang Mai ".. has already got round. I was around the area last night and the amount of farangs I saw, I could count on one hand, this of course apparently being the high season.

Just happened to be at the Red Lion Bar last night having dinner and a few drinks. At 8.15 pm there was not one seat available for dining.People were waiting to be seated. No it was not some special event just full of mainly tourists having a night out.The writing is not on the wall, as you put it, in fact just the opposite. While the euro etc may be struggling Thailand is still a very cheap and loved destination.Your emotional "just a matter of time before its all gone" is totally misleading and without any foundation apart from your one man survey.

Agreed (and in line with my observation of not only the Night Bazaar area but other parts of the city when I was out last night). It was packed everywhere. He must have been in another city last night. Not Chiang Mai. I had a very difficult time finding anywhere to park last night it was so busy in town.

In all seriousness though, it's NOT just the Farang bar scene. It wouldn't be much of an issue if it was. (hey; free barfines at midnight! ;) ) The issue is that it's nit just the tourist bars, but everything. Otherwise you'd just move elsewhere; cheaper beer and prettier girls too.

It's everywhere, and affecting locals, expats and tourists alike.

Witnessed myself last night - it's an unusual sight, for sure, everything closing at midnight. I wonder what the point of that exercise is?

The good thing about Thailand is that things like this usually last only a few weeks, and then it's everything back to normal.

It's already at a few week though, isn't it ? Seems like they're really into this 'crackdown'. How long can they keep it up is the question. And how much do they impact business owners ?

Totally agree that bars are only one segment of the tourist and local nighttime scene, however it's a big one. I know other places are doing ok and that tourist demographics are changing. However, it has a negative impact for us all. Already there are 2 less bars that I can think of in operation hosting live music, and other bars are already minimizing western music playing presence. CM can be a place for fun and music and culture - word about that spreads positively for the community. But right now the positive words are few.

Have lived in Chiang Mai for almost 30 years, have many contacts here, both in business and those working for Government departments.

I never just assume anything. I can tell you that much of what goes on in Chiang Mai is political and that’s all I’m prepared to say. If you consider what I am saying as BS, so what, take it or leave it.

There is going to be even more drastic changes to the Western scene in Chiang Mai. Quite a few of the bargirls are now moving their services to the massage parlors, but it won’t be long before the police twig on to this and these establishments will also become victims of the clamp downs.

Whether or not the clamp downs or closures of the bar scene in Chiang Mai will have any impacts on tourism in the area I don’t know for sure, but it’s going to happen, the process has already begun.

Unless there is some sort of dramatic change of opinions within the stratagem of those that make the decisions here, then the situation is not going to improve for the farang business owners in Chiang Mai.

It is really up to the present business owners to protect their own interests, perhaps form some kind of federation rather than being in competition with each other. Or else it’s as the wise man says; They’re going to do it on you.

However, let’s wait and see what happens within the next couple years, as only time will tell.

The Red Lion is about as OK as several other pub restaurants around town...............but waiting to be seated???

Even tourists know there are plenty of options in downtown Chiang Mai.....unless they were scared to venture far from The Royal Lanna.

It hasn't suddenly appeared in the Michelin Guide has it? unsure.gif

Have lived in Chiang Mai for almost 30 years, have many contacts here, both in business and those working for Government departments.

I never just assume anything. I can tell you that much of what goes on in Chiang Mai is political and that's all I'm prepared to say. If you consider what I am saying as BS, so what, take it or leave it.

There is going to be even more drastic changes to the Western scene in Chiang Mai. Quite a few of the bargirls are now moving their services to the massage parlors, but it won't be long before the police twig on to this and these establishments will also become victims of the clamp downs.

Whether or not the clamp downs or closures of the bar scene in Chiang Mai will have any impacts on tourism in the area I don't know for sure, but it's going to happen, the process has already begun.

Unless there is some sort of dramatic change of opinions within the stratagem of those that make the decisions here, then the situation is not going to improve for the farang business owners in Chiang Mai.

It is really up to the present business owners to protect their own interests, perhaps form some kind of federation rather than being in competition with each other. Or else it's as the wise man says; They're going to do it on you.

However, let's wait and see what happens within the next couple years, as only time will tell.

but 'why'? what's the threat of a few bars? what's the driving force?

I think this topic has run it's course.

I mean really we have one poster claiming to know all about the city plans for expats and also claiming the tourists are gone because all the tourists he saw last night he could count on one hand.

On the other hand maybe he is rite but he forgot to mention the fact that he can't count.

Tourism is alive and well in ?Chiang Mai.<br>The demographics are changing and maybe the powers that be feel that the bar scenes have run there course. OK for residents but not OK for a tourist attraction.

Heck I am seeing groups of women traveling around now. Have yet to see one walking down the street with a Thai she picked up in bar.As far as that goes not a lot of Farongs with a Thai lady they picked up in a bar.":P"

Edited by hellodolly

Five years ago it was the semi-uniformed police doing the rounds looking for miscreant farang owners, one Singaporean bar owner near the now extinct Peak climbing wall was visited by such a fellow who was mightily wasted and demanded more fuel. Subsequently refused service he pulled his gun and threatened the owners wife, a well intentioned but foolish young farang from Manchester hit him once and he collapsed in a heap. Not much later that same evening the joint was raided by some twenty BIB, the shutters pulled down and the owner arrested for working without a work permit - paid THB10,000 as a "fine" - his bar was visited again at least weekly for the next few months and all present generally intimidated.

Suspect the OP's Loi Kroh experience was something similar since nothing much changes in these matters.

BTW: have been out and about around my old stomping grounds around Loi Kroh for the past few nights whilst waiting for Mrs CM. Not much if anything seems to have changed in the past five years but most places seem to be doing a similar level of trade as back then, Friday/Saturday night was quite busy I thought - nice that it's all confined to one fairly small area that objectors can easily avoid, civilized yest colorful.

Edited by chiang mai

You are absolutely wrong! Just because a restaurant was full does not mean the tourist scene is dying. Did you even bother to take a walk down the street to the Night Bazaar? It's a Ghost Town in there now and everyone is dying. I have had a business there selling art handcrafts for over 5 years and this year is the absolute worst! Most nights I do ZERO in sales! 4 years ago I grossed around 200-300,000 minimum this time of year. Do some research before making such bold and uneducated statements. You make yourself look like a rube...

You are absolutely wrong! Just because a restaurant was full does not mean the tourist scene is dying. Did you even bother to take a walk down the street to the Night Bazaar? It's a Ghost Town in there now and everyone is dying. I have had a business there selling art handcrafts for over 5 years and this year is the absolute worst! Most nights I do ZERO in sales! 4 years ago I grossed around 200-300,000 minimum this time of year. Do some research before making such bold and uneducated statements. You make yourself look like a rube...

The Night Bazaar is not a ghost town. Come on... I was at the Night Bazaar on the same night and same time as Sparkles. It was absolutely packed with tourists from all over the globe.

The Night Bazaar is not a ghost town. Come on... I was at the Night Bazaar on the same night and same time as Sparkles. It was absolutely packed with tourists from all over the globe.

I was there last night and it seemed to have a pretty good crowd of tourists.

I don't know if it's up or down, as I don't go there often, but I certainly wouldn't call it a ghost town.

Not so many people spending money, shopping.

But still people in restaurants eating and drinking. Basically a different type of tourist mostly with less spending power.

I think it really depends what they are selling.

Not many people buying here wholesale also from what I see. A number of my friends used to visit regularly and buy a lot but rarely see them these days.

Its neither a bold or uneducated statement as others are confirming.Yes we did walk around for over an hour at least. There were plenty of people in all the restaurants/bars/tourist shops.People ,judging by the plastic bags they were carrying, were keeping a lot of traders active.Have you considered that the handcrafts you are selling may be the problem or your location? Do some research ! I would suggest its you who need to do some research and find products that are deemed desirable by visitors and look at your location and attitude. All this doom and gloom ,ghost town nonsense is not reflected in the number of people currently enjoying a holiday in Chiang Mai.

Rube? you should read 'Sparkles' comment again, this time a bit slower. You two said the exact same thing.

Purely anecdotally, we at The Olde Bell are currently running about the same as last year - so accounting for inflation, a tad down, but nothing to worry about at the moment. The Red Lion is busy at certain hours as my

friend Kevin confirmed on Sunday over a bottle of his excellent London Pride Porter, but at other times is quiet, as is the case with us. O'Malley's are much the same, as I was told the other day when I popped in for a pint

of their fine Kilkenny.

What we could all do with is a bit of 'joined up government' The tourist department is promoting Chiang Mai, whilst the Police are dragging things down. Tonight Loi Kroh Rd, businesses had a visit form the Tessabaan,

pointing out to most of us that we are behind with our restaurant licence payments. Nothing wrong with coming round per se , but what kind of local government organisation comes round at 10pm? Several of my customers paid up and disappeared after asking us in concerned voices if everything was OK. And we saw people doing the same at Chez Marco, El Toro and other neighbours. What's wrong with the hours of daylight?

The more businesses close down, the more that suffer like Yeeowww's handicaraft shop, the more they come after the surviving businesses in order to pay the overtime for guys like the one's who came round at 10pm!!

Pedr is generous with his comments and always overly so with his advertising.

He's a good sort, but If you don't really like being in Thailand, you will be quite comfortable at his friendly pub, or Kevin's, or some others. If you are interested in Thailand, why would you go to these places? Think about it! :rolleyes:

He's a good sort, but If you don't really like being in Thailand, you will be quite comfortable at his friendly pub, or Kevin's, or some others. If you are interested in Thailand, why would you go to these places? Think about it! :rolleyes:

Must we be entirely inclined this way or that? No, say I. Even those of us who willingly accept full power spices in our food, are married (let us imagine, to an entire Thai family), and have children might favor a brew and the company of English speaking folks, not to mention Western foods and/or a brew or two.

Moreover, I could make these pubs almost like a second home (in moderation) and still be about the business of wading, happily, deeper and deeper into Thailand's native waters.

Attending a friendly pub does not require turning a blind eye to another world, including the strange behavior of the authorities in this case.

Edited by CMX

If you are interested in Thailand, why would you go to these places? Think about it!

When I lived in San Francisco, I ate at Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Italian restaurants constantly. Thank the Big Guy that there is no rule that says that you can only eat the cuisine of the country that you live in as it would get pretty boring.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I think the night bazaar has had its day. People are more interested in the night market, possibly because they don't get hassled so much by the seller of fake this and fake that. Perhaps for other reasons too. Chiang Mai does need a kick up the botty, though. If I were the Governor (God help me!) I'd really clean up and light up the pathways around the moat. I would select certain areas for a night bazaar, widening the pathway as necessary. I would repave and install new lights. I would ensure that the sellers were dealing in Lanna crafts, not copy handbags and watches etc. There would be nice little cafe areas and it would revive the whole area. I'd close the night bazaar with its horrible little cages, pavements that you can't walk on and nightly rip-offs. That's the way forward, methinks.

Must we be entirely inclined this way or that? No, say I. Even those of us who willingly accept full power spices in our food, are married (let us imagine, to an entire Thai family), and have children might favor a brew and the company of English speaking folks, not to mention Western foods and/or a brew or two.

Moreover, I could make these pubs almost like a second home (in moderation) and still be about the business of wading, happily, deeper and deeper into Thailand's native waters.

Attending a friendly pub does not require turning a blind eye to another world, including the strange behavior of the authorities in this case.

But

Attending a friendly pub situated in a street full of prostitutes is slightly different though, don't you think?

I think the night bazaar has had its day. People are more interested in the night market, possibly because they don't get hassled so much by the seller of fake this and fake that. Perhaps for other reasons too. Chiang Mai does need a kick up the botty, though. If I were the Governor (God help me!) I'd really clean up and light up the pathways around the moat. I would select certain areas for a night bazaar, widening the pathway as necessary. I would repave and install new lights. I would ensure that the sellers were dealing in Lanna crafts, not copy handbags and watches etc. There would be nice little cafe areas and it would revive the whole area. I'd close the night bazaar with its horrible little cages, pavements that you can't walk on and nightly rip-offs. That's the way forward, methinks.

This post makes a lot of sense and there's much truth to it, the Sunday night walking street market is a much much better experience than anything the Night Bazaar has to offer and is far better attended.

This post makes a lot of sense and there's much truth to it, the Sunday night walking street market is a much much better experience than anything the Night Bazaar has to offer and is far better attended.

I went to the CM Sunday market once, it was my my idea of hell.

I went to the CM Sunday market once, it was my my idea of hell.

And that was because it's a crappy market, has nothing to offer, is poorly attended, is a rip off, is in bad taste, or, you don't like markets and crowds?

I don't disagree with you, a lot of re-invention is required for Chiang Mai since everyone got greedy and killed the golden egg laying goose some years back. But, with the various political wills and hidden interests pulling in different directions, I suspect the kind of direction change needed will be a long time coming.

I applaud your proposals as hypothetical governor and I look forward to you reporting back to this forum on how your negotiations with the sidewalk mafia play out :whistling:

The inner part of the city, Taepae road, Loi Kroh road, night bazaar and all the surrounding areas, have become run down, dingy and squalid.

I can describe it as a complete dump and on the verges of transforming into a slum area. Many of the establishments in the area haven’t had any restoration or received a lick of paint for years.

Have it on good authority that no new licenses are being issued for any further bar, massage and large restaurant projects within the city. This means that in the foreseeable future the existing scene will fall into further decay.

And on top of all this, there is the problems of dual pricing, rip offs, scams and the deteriorating quality of the environments in the outer provinces, such as pollution, no proper trash deposal systems and so on,.

For the optimists and those who believe it`s business as usual, don’t kid yourselves, the word has already got round and in all respects, Chiang Mai is rapidly losing it`s appeal as a tourist destination, more so by each year.

For those who believe that the centre of town is flourishing just because at certain times restaurants such as the Red Lion are full to capacity, are not seeing the whole picture.

Unless there are some drastic change of policies, new projects, investments and clean up environmental campaigns enforceable and imposed in Chiang Mai, then I don’t hold much hope for it`s worldwide status as a great thriving city for the future.