Bangkok Bank Visa Debit Card Being Refused In Pattaya

Recently, I went down to Pattaya for some rest and relaxation and to get away from the approaching floods in Bangkok, like most expats.

Now, when I checked out of a major hotel in Pattaya along the beach. The Front desk clerk gave me my bill and I gave her my Bangkok Bank visa debit card. She said, Bangkok Bank visa cards are not accepted by their hotel staff, and if I had another visa card from another bank outside of Thailand (which I do) they would prefer that instead of Bangkok Bank.

I than asked to speak to her manager, and he said the same thing. “Bangkok Bank Visa cards are not accepted in Pattaya.”

What’s up with this? Bangkok Bank is not acceptable down there.

Send a PM to Daveroc who is a BKK Bank representative on this forum & tell him the name of the hotel - sure that they can look into it. Actually, VISA's policy is "accept all cards" which means a merchant cannot selectively choose one card over another - most likely this is a staff training / communication error.

Send a PM to Daveroc who is a BKK Bank representative on this forum & tell him the name of the hotel - sure that they can look into it. Actually, VISA's policy is "accept all cards" which means a merchant cannot selectively choose one card over another - most likely this is a staff training / communication error.

I don't think it's the fact that it is Bangkok bank in question, but the fact that you are a farang. I have several Thai issued cards both credit and debit, and are often told ..."sorry we don't accept those, Do you have an overseas card?" Presonally I think it's a case of complete mistrust, but we will never know.

Extremely hard to believe. I have Bangkok Bank since 15 years and NEVER had any issues. Not with my Credit nor with my Debit Card. Some of the Bangkok Bank Debit Cards (like the BTS one) don't even show your name on it, so this could be the only problem I can think off. I am interested to know what BBL's Rep has to say to this incident.

Actually Bangkok Bank BTS I have has my name on it but it is electronic use only (not embossed) so if small hotel only using stamp impression they would not be able to use. But if they have on-line should not be any problem using if withdrawal limit not exceeded.

I wouldnt mind betting they were trying it on, if you use a foreign card they can use a different debit system and get a preferential rate.

Paying with a local card means they get the bare minimum, only a possibility.

IF YOU CHECK YOUR BKK VISA CARD IT DOES not HAVE YOUR NAME ON IT. oops sorry caps.

because no name; is not a credit debit card - only an ATM CARD

i tried for ages to get a genuine VISA debit card from BKK; I got one from Siam bank- mastercard with name.

BKK bank has or seems to have a policy restricting farang from using credit debit cards.

BKK bank has or seems to have a policy restricting farang from using credit debit cards.

I didn't have any problems getting one but there probably are some restrictions but they may not be specific to farangs though. I was at Bangkok Bank for business and casually mentioned a Visa card. I was immediately shuffled over to a desk and 15 minutes later walked out with one.

//edit - regarding restriction in 'using'. There was a list of features you could select when getting the card such as online ordering, local shopping use, etc that you have to decide on. So it's possible you can use the card for direct shopping but not online or visa versa depending on your selected options when applying.

Actually Bangkok Bank BTS I have has my name on it but it is electronic use only (not embossed) so if small hotel only using stamp impression they would not be able to use. But if they have on-line should not be any problem using if withdrawal limit not exceeded.

Can you use this type of card for online purchases?

Note my edited reply above. :rolleyes:

Yes, you can.  I have the Be1st debit card and have used it for buying airline tickets (Bangkok Air, Thai Air, Singapore Air and Delta) and booking hotels.I do not use it for general shopping, mainly because mechants will tack on 3% or so (even though it is a debit NOT a credit card).  Going to the ATM to get the money is much less than 3%.

Edited by WhizBang

IF YOU CHECK YOUR BKK VISA CARD IT DOES not HAVE YOUR NAME ON IT. oops sorry caps.

i tried for ages to get a genuine VISA debit card from BKK; I got one from Siam bank- mastercard with name.

NONSENSE !

My card has NO NAME and can be used online or anywhere I wish. It is a debit card and not just an ATM.

This is a situation unique to you (and possibly others) but it is not a BK Bank policy. I have two Visa debit cards from BK Bank and they both have my name clearly printed on them. I have used them to pay for hotels and etc all over the world with no issues.

Edited by KHR1010

My bkk bank be1st card works everywhere. Online purchases, linked to paypal and any shop with one of those online swipe terminals...

As another member mentioned, they might have terminals wich work out cheaper for them with foreign cards...

Lopburi, eventough merchants are not allowed to tack on a % when you pay with a card, I do understand that shops working with low profit margin items do this. If you have 5% profit margin, giving the bank 3% doesn't leave you much! Obviously hotels do not fall under "low margin" business :)

My cards have been refused at Tesco Lotus and Big C some years ago, and recently at Power Buy. On each occasion, I was asked to get cash from an ATM, but I just simply walked away. The last time it happened, I told the staff I was going to Big C, which is just opposite the Power Buy Shop, and the others begged the cashier to accept the card. She insisted I withdrew, so I left.

One of the cards ( Kasikorn's ) even had my photo on it.

Lopburi, eventough merchants are not allowed to tack on a % when you pay with a card, I do understand that shops working with low profit margin items do this. If you have 5% profit margin, giving the bank 3% doesn't leave you much! Obviously hotels do not fall under "low margin" business

Ten years ago it could be understood as this was a cash society but no longer. The day I find a Thai shop with a 5% margin I will be really shocked. Most merchants want to sell at 100% or let you leave. Low margin is not a term I would use for merchants here. They do not want the card because it leaves a paper trail so makes it harder to avoid tax payments.

I don't have a credit card from a Thai bank, but in August I tried to book online a hotel near Suvarnabhumi using my Siam Commercial debit card.

I was not successful.

When I enquired at my branch of Siam Commercial I was told I couldn't use my debit card for online purchases, I would need a credit card.

This is a situation unique to you (and possibly others) but it is not a BK Bank policy. I have two Visa debit cards from BK Bank and they both have my name clearly printed on them. I have used them to pay for hotels and etc all over the world with no issues.

Well this topic ( originally about BKB Debit cards not being accepted in Pattaya) is clear as mud.

We appear to have some TV members with their names on their debit cards and others not.

I fall into the second camp, it just says "BE1ST VALUED MEMBER" on my debit card.

Earlier this year I changed to one of the new smart card debit cards and then changed back to a BE 1ST as the smart cards could not be used in other banks ATM's. Has Bangkok Bank resolved this??.

Not true, my wife has used our ATM card in the supermarkets for the last 5 years.

They should be accepted anywhee there is a swipe machine at the cashier.

my wife had the same problem with her bkb debit card when she tried to use it the first time,she went to the bank and asked for an explanation only to be told you have not set a limit,unlike the uk you can only spend what you have in your acc.as she was mighty embarrassed at the store she asked the bkb.staff why they had not told her same reply as i got when their staff fcked up [sorry]

A number of issues on this thread over the past 48 hours. As has been stated, there are rules relating to Merchants who sign on to accept Visa Cards in that they cannot be selective as to which cards they accept. If the original poster, Abduljabbar01, would like to PM me with the hotel name, our Card division will follow up.

As to why this happens can be put down to communication, lack of training or some other reason that is not immediately clear. Whatever, it is not acceptable when we become used to the concept of relying on acceptance of cards to pay accounts.

There can be not issue around Foreigner versus local as once the terminal accepts the card; the merchant gets immediate credit for the sale

As regards Debit Cards, BBl does not have a selection policy on the issuing of them. Any one who opens an account has the option of taking up a card. One thing to remember as regards the limits on spending. The limit on the card is made up of two components. A spending limit and a cash withdrawal limit. Generally these are set at 50,000 baht each for a combined daily limit of 100,000 baht. Should you consider you need to increase these, this can be done by ringing the Call centre at 1333. Provided there is money in the account the transactions should proceed. However, most ATM machines are configured to issue somewhere between 20,000 and 25,000 baht per time so you would require two withdrawals to be at the limit.

BBL has two Debit Cards in the market. The Be1st Smart Card has the highest level of security with the imbedded Chip technology. However not all machines have been upgraded to accept this level of security. If you are travelling overseas or not intending to use BBL machines in Thailand you are better to have the Standard Be1st Card which is more acceptable to most machines.

Credit Cards, on most occasions, will require the lodgment of a collateral deposit equal to the amount of the limit approved on the card. The rights and wrongs of this have been debated at length on this forum in the past. However Thai Banks will implement some form of this policy. The reasons relate to the difficulty in Credit Checking customers and the transient nature of many Expatriates. There will be exceptions as already noted on the thread.

I trust this clarifies some issues.

Dave