Roku Highly Recommended By Cnet

THAIPHUKET

The good: The Roku LT is an extremely small Wi-Fi streaming-media box that costs only $50. It offers dozens of streaming video and audio services, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, HBO Go, Pandora, MOG, Rdio, and MLB.TV. It also supports older TVs using an included breakout cable.

The bad: The Roku LT isn't a good choice for playing your personal digital media collection. There's also no Ethernet port, so you'll need a solid Wi-Fi signal in your home theater.

The bottom line: The Roku LT is a killer streaming-media box, offering tons of streaming video content, including favorites like Netflix, Amazon Instant, Hulu Plus, and Pandora, for just $50.

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-media-receivers/roku-lt/4505-6739_7-35056746.html#ixzz1cqRkWJmm

Everything will work in Thailand EXCEPT some/most of the online services like Netflix, Pandora, etc. These services are licensed to certain countries and enforced via IP. It was the reason I left my WD HD Live behind in Thailand and bought a new WD TV Live Hub here.

Btw - I love my hub, it's a daily use item made possible but a larger nicer remote that works well, the ability to dump my torrents on it's internal drive, and personally I wouldn't run one of these via WIFI. More pricey? Sure. But imo well worth it.

I've tried the best and fastest USB WIFI-N dongles in several of these units and at best they're limiting. At worst you they don't have enough bandwidth to stream a 1080p source unless perfectly compressed. Often you'll want to do 2-3 things at the same time, for instance Utorrent will dump a completed file to the internal drive, my son will be using the Itunes server upstairs, and I might want to watch a movie downstairs. With a LAN port and cable between the Hub device and my router this becomes possible. My wife or son can use WIFI for Itunes, movies, photos or whatever on their laptops, and the main HDTV is served directly from the Hub via an HDMI cable. So.. you need to look at how you'll use it. If you'll plug it into your tv via an HDMI and feed it media/movies/music via an USB storage device it (the Roku) will work fine. But if you want to multi-task the unit (and if it's a good useful one you will), or you want trouble free service with 1080p source material.. then you'll need a LAN.

Everything will work in Thailand EXCEPT some/most of the online services like Netflix, Pandora, etc. These services are licensed to certain countries and enforced via IP. It was the reason I left my WD HD Live behind in Thailand and bought a new WD TV Live Hub here.

Btw - I love my hub, it's a daily use item made possible but a larger nicer remote that works well, the ability to dump my torrents on it's internal drive, and personally I wouldn't run one of these via WIFI. More pricey? Sure. But imo well worth it.

I've tried the best and fastest USB WIFI-N dongles in several of these units and at best they're limiting. At worst you they don't have enough bandwidth to stream a 1080p source unless perfectly compressed. Often you'll want to do 2-3 things at the same time, for instance Utorrent will dump a completed file to the internal drive, my son will be using the Itunes server upstairs, and I might want to watch a movie downstairs. With a LAN port and cable between the Hub device and my router this becomes possible. My wife or son can use WIFI for Itunes, movies, photos or whatever on their laptops, and the main HDTV is served directly from the Hub via an HDMI cable. So.. you need to look at how you'll use it. If you'll plug it into your tv via an HDMI and feed it media/movies/music via an USB storage device it (the Roku) will work fine. But if you want to multi-task the unit (and if it's a good useful one you will), or you want trouble free service with 1080p source material.. then you'll need a LAN.

Just use a VPN service and all is covered. You can access anything as if you are in your home country. I use Astrill and it is great. There are many more available and work just as good.

Just use a VPN service and all is covered. You can access anything as if you are in your home country. I use Astrill and it is great. There are many more available and work just as good.

Sure, VPN services do allow access to the services. But when you start adding up the cost of the VPN access, and then the cost of premium services on the device itself (these services like Netflix, Hulu, etc are only supported on these devices in their premium (paid) modes) then it starts to become a bit pricey where other options might be a better value.

Like I said, I use my device daily and I think it's worth it just to manage playback of my downloaded torrents or as a Itunes server. The no cost services like weather are a bonus. But to start paying for VPN and premium service access to get radio channels or televisions series or movies.. most of which you can access via torrents are no charge.. and the value isn't as great as many think at first glance.

And keep in mind none of these services are "live." They just provide access to a repository of recorded series shows, movies, and music. For live services something like a Slingbox Pro, or even a Slingbox service becomes a nice option.

• 3 weeks later...

Sure, VPN services do allow access to the services. But when you start adding up the cost of the VPN access, and then the cost of premium services on the device itself (these services like Netflix, Hulu, etc are only supported on these devices in their premium (paid) modes) then it starts to become a bit pricey where other options might be a better value.

We must be operating on some different kind of pricey-ness scale... And to be clear, I'm talking about general streaming to/thru a regular PC or laptop, not the more limited content choices associated with a particular media box like Roku.

Figure $40 a year for a good VPN or proxy... Actually, there's no need for VPN per se in Thailand for the most part, a private proxy offered by some of the VPN providers that also gives you a U.S. IP address is going to produce faster streams with less overhead than actual VPN SSL or PPTP.

Netscape streaming is $8 a month. Regular Hulu is free. I went to buy a small item from Amazon the other day, and they were again giving away free one month trials (reg. $79 for the year, less than $8 per month) of Amazon Instant Video, which I took them up on, to catch up on some movies and TV series that are hard to find streaming on Netflix or elsewhere.

A VPN/proxy for $3-$4 per month on a yearly subscription plus free regular Hulu would give one more TV than they'd likely have time to watch. Also Sony's Crackle streaming service has movies and TV series for free (with commercials). Then add in one paid service of your choice (Netflix still is probably the best value in terms of content vs price) and you're spending about the price of two Thai movie tickets per month for an enormous amount of entertainment content.

BTW, let me pose a question for the "box" guys here in keeping with the question posed in the OP....

As best as I can gather, the versions of the various media boxes that are sold in Thailand are not necessarily the same as those sold in the U.S.

It seems to me I've read here that the Thai market versions sometimes have more limited content choices built in, such as excluding providers that are U.S. only. But on the other hand, I'm guessing some/many of the U.S. version boxes don't necessarily work natively with 220v electricity.

So, the question is, if one's sitting in Thailand and wanted to buy a box here, what's the best choice for a model that's going to provide the fullest spectrum of U.S. content choices (assuming you're using your own proxy or VPN setup) while also running on 220v power without the need for an add-on adapter/transformer? And where to get it at what general price?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

can you watch Sony's Crackle in Thailand without VPN ?

BK

I believe Crackle does require a U.S. IP, just the same at Neflix, Hulu, Amazon and the others.

You can get the IP via a proxy... or through a VPN... But there's really no need to have the data encrypted en route, which is one a VPN does. All you really need is just the correct country IP address.

I haven't seen a Roku on sale in a shop in Thailand. Is there anything a Roku can do that cannot be done on a PC? I've got a few spare laptops kicking around with wifi and internet access, do I need a Roku?

Banana, your approach above is exactly what I've done at home... run everything through laptop PCs connected to my televisions via HDMI or SuperVideo ports.

In my view, the problem with the boxes is the content sources they have built-in vary from box to box maker, and of course the content providers are always changing, new ones come along, etc etc... I haven't heard or found any stand-alone box that does it all compared to what an Internet connected computer and browser can do.

What the boxes offer are convenience via remotes and such... And many people who use them seem to be more focused on using them to play downloaded content such as BitTorrents as opposed to using them for live or on-demand streaming.

However, just in the past few days, I have been reading and hearing reviews of the latest update to Google TV as implemented through the Logitech Review set-top box and some Sony TV models... And the reviews I've been reading make it sound like those boxes do give a pretty much full Internet access overlay to the connected TV.... And I think I was reading about them due to be getting a new Android OS upgrade that will give those boxes access to the full Android Market and all its apps...

That begins to sound interesting. Except I'm still reading review comments like "Major content providers like Hulu, CBS, and ABC are currently blocking Google TV."

http://www.wired.com...android-market/

The Logitech Review models go for $99. And there's also current Sony TV versions. And the Wired piece includes the following:

Google will soon announce new chipset partners for brand new Google TV hardware in 2012 (Samsung and Vizio are already on board).

And another news report on the subject:

http://www.slashgear...-next-31192088/

And further from a different source:

We’ve seen Sony discount its Google TV sets considerably, and Logitech announce that it had no further plans to release devices using Google’s platform. Existing Logitech Revue owners will get Google TV 2.0, the recently unveiled latest version, but no new hardware is in the pipeline from the company.

Yoon Boo-keun described Samsung’s work with Google on the project as “last-stage talks.” Last week, rumors surfaced regarding LG’s intentions to push out a Google TV range, with the company expected to reveal its first models at CES 2012 in January.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

We must be operating on some different kind of pricey-ness scale... And to be clear, I'm talking about general streaming to/thru a regular PC or laptop, not the more limited content choices associated with a particular media box like Roku.

The OP was asking about a media box and that's what I responded to. Personally I'm not interested in sitting in front of a computer to watch tv, but sure it can be done on the cheap. Though, even when you output your computer to a tv screen you'll find the media boxes provide better color and a more natural picture.

The providers running these services are very clever with what content is free, and what is premium. I'm not at all satisfied with most of the free content, unless it's just adds to something else I'm using. I ran a Slingbox for years while in Thailand and I like this for local news, sports, and shows like car and home repair shows. I didn't like it for watching movies or series despite having it hooked up to a HD DVR because even my 16mbps line didn't provide enough bandwidth on a consistent basis for streaming state side shows. For series and movies torrents provide the most reliable content, and the highest quality. You can download the shows you want and watch them with no issues when they're done downloading. And in 16:9 SD or 16:9 HD..

But those choices are very different from what the OP stated. First, he was referring to a stateside media box which IS different than what you can buy in Thailand. Regardless if you have a VPN or proxy, you'd still need to buy it from the states to get the media box that has the premium services he mentioned (including favorites like Netflix, Amazon Instant, Hulu Plus, and Pandora,) And once you get the box from the states, set up your VPN, bandwidth will continue to be an issue.

Set top media boxes are great. They'll play your downloaded torrents much better than a computer can, and they free your computer from the tasking. But for stateside premium services they're problematic at best.

Btw.. what proxy's are you using that circumvent stateside licensing? Last year for the Tour de France I tried 14 different proxy/VPN services, many of those were recommended on these forums, and 11 of them wouldn't work with the licensing providers I paid for in the states. They could tell you weren't in the states regardless. 3 worked, but at such a limited bandwidth they made watching painful. I know there are many out there promising the moon, but for the last 3 years when I've tried to find one that worked for the Tour.. I couldn't.

BTW, let me pose a question for the "box" guys here in keeping with the question posed in the OP....

As best as I can gather, the versions of the various media boxes that are sold in Thailand are not necessarily the same as those sold in the U.S.

It seems to me I've read here that the Thai market versions sometimes have more limited content choices built in, such as excluding providers that are U.S. only. But on the other hand, I'm guessing some/many of the U.S. version boxes don't necessarily work natively with 220v electricity.

So, the question is, if one's sitting in Thailand and wanted to buy a box here, what's the best choice for a model that's going to provide the fullest spectrum of U.S. content choices (assuming you're using your own proxy or VPN setup) while also running on 220v power without the need for an add-on adapter/transformer? And where to get it at what general price?

1. Correct. I've owned several and they are different. You can go to the manufacturers website and if you look carefully, you'll find which services are offered in which countries.. but basically any of the ones you really want won't be available in Thailand.

2. Correct. Much more limited.

3. Yes and no. It depends on the box. These media boxes run off small AC/DC adapters, some will be 100-240vac's and others will be 120vac only if purchased in the states. But even if you get a 120vac adapter, a quick trip to China Town, Pantip or Powerbuy will turn up a suitable adapter. It's an added expense, but not much.

4. I wouldn't use a media box for these services. For series shows and movies I'd use torrents and then I'd use the media box to run the torrents. I like the WD Live Hub because it has a 1tb drive built in, and you can have your torrent client dump the completed video files to that drive.. then watch them on the tv. This is very convenient and the best possible quality. If you do this, then a media box sold in Thailand becomes just as useful and easier to source. If you really want to subscribe to one of the premium services and access it via an VPN or proxy.. I'd test out the proxy first. Any of the ones that provide enough bandwidth to stream video are pricey, and you'll still need an internet connection that provides enough bandwidth to work with your content provider and your VPN/proxy provider. It's far easier to just download the torrents as fast as your bandwidth allows, to watch when completed. Here in the states the premium services in the media boxes work really well, but here I have a 100mbps service. I had the 16mbps service in Thailand and struggled with any sort of streaming. I'd get 20-21mbps inside Thailand, and on average under 1mbps when connected to US servers. There was sometimes a brief window during the small hours of the night I could get 4-5mbps from US servers.. but it wasn't consistent enough to use as a main option.

I hope this helps.

I haven't seen a Roku on sale in a shop in Thailand. Is there anything a Roku can do that cannot be done on a PC? I've got a few spare laptops kicking around with wifi and internet access, do I need a Roku?

a. No. A PC will work with any premium service as long as licensing isn't an issue.

b. Computers for tv watching have some issues. If you run your tv from your computer it will work, but the media boxes will provide a much better picture. Color is much better and they scale perfectly to the screen. And the media box frees your computer for other things.

Re the question above about getting a proxy to work with the various U.S. streaming services... we've covered this before in some other threads, but let me try to recap it here...

I'm not talking about questionable public proxies or anonymous proxies like are listed on a lot of internet sites. I'm talking about a paid, private service that's professionally managed by a VPN provider and only accessible to those with their paid user ID and password.

The one I've been using the past year or so for proxy has been from Witopia.net. In their case, they have a California-based proxy location, as well as several others, that are freely, fully available to their customers. Meaning, those who pay to subscribe to one of their VPN packages that start at about $40 per year.

I've tested using -- and in fact do use -- the Witopia proxy on pretty much all of the prominent U.S. streaming providers and have NEVER once had any connection problem, meaning never had any U.S. site fail to accept my proxy-based log-in and use.

Sometime back, I did some pretty rigorous testing of a variety of U.S. video streaming sites using three different methods: Witopia's SSL VPN client, Witopia's PPTP VPN client, and Witopia's proxy client. Same sources, same times, same content. And every time, the proxy approach came out the fastest of the three, markedly faster, followed by PPTP, and then SSL VPN as the slowest.

The reason for that is, the proxy client is just giving you a U.S. IP address, but it's not encrypting any of your data. So there's less overhead loss on the stream. The PPTP connection does some kind of securing of your data, while the SSL VPN does the most, meaning you'd want to use it in places like China where the government is actively trying to block and/or censor certain sites and content. But that's generally not the case in Thailand, especially as regards U.S. major streaming services.

Negreanu's provider is another approach to obtaining the necessary U.S. location clearance. But as we've debated before, the proxy and/or PPTP give you access to anything anywhere based on their available IP locations, whereas Negreanu's service provides access to a set list of content providers... but only those on its provider list and not any others. So it just depends on how well one's viewing habits match up with that other provider.

Ever since I tried, tested and started using the Witopia proxy, I almost never need to use their PPTP or SSL VPN clients, even though they're included in my subscription plan. I can use any of the three approaches and pick and change server locations as I wish at any time without limitation. But just choosing the California-based proxy works best for 99.9% of what I want to view.

And, I'll freely admit, I don't have high def or really big screens at home. I just watch my content on regular 32 in LCD TVs connected via laptops... And the picture quality across the various providers is fine...subject to the periodic vagaries of Thai ISPs and their ups and down. So I can't speak to how well my approach works in the HD world.

BTW, Witopia I think is generally considered one of the better, more reliable VPN providers. Another that many folks use is Strong VPN. I didn't choose them, but I have a friend who does use them, and my friend asked them about whether they too offer proxy server access to their customers. And the answer from StrongVPN according to my friend was no they don't.

Re the question above about getting a proxy to work with the various U.S. streaming services... we've covered this before in some other threads, but let me try to recap it here...

Thank you! I'll need this next year during the tour.. :) So.. I can buy my Versus subscription for the tour and using Witopia I'll be able to watch it providing my Thailand ISP gives me the appropriate bandwidth? Cool.

About the quality: I run color managed computers, high end color managed monitors, top dual GPU video cards, and I even bought and use a HDTV colorimeter to profile my television in much the same way as I do my imaging monitors. Running my HDTV from my computer via HDMI ports (I've also tried component and DVI-component) works, and for a long time I thought working well. Keep in mind I work with color managed aps every day, and I always knew what I was watching on the tv (as sourced from the PC) wasn't perfect.. but it was good.

And then a friend from SG was staying with me in Bangkok for a few days and he brought home a WD TV Live and wanted to test it before taking it from the country home to SG. He ran a short HDMI from the WD TV Live to my tv (a 50" 850 series Samsung Plasma) and I tossed him a USB thumb drive with a few torrents on it to test. Even without color profiling the port he was using (on my tv each input can hold it's own profile) I immediately saw the WD TV Live box was providing a far superior picture. It scaled perfectly and the color was "right", all without any profiling. For fun we tried a few torrent files that always gave us trouble because of file type, unusual codecs, etc.. and they worked fine. I was sold.

Since I've tested and reviewed 8-9 different media boxes. Without question they ALL provided a much better picture.. and the WD models were great with compatibility of hard to run video file types. With the appropriate torrent files the WD boxes are also great at outputting the DTS and Pro-logic 7.1 soundtracks via the optical TOSLINK port to an AV receiver.

When you consider I've tested video cards praised for being ideal for constructing an HTPC, high end audio cards, and the best a PC can offer.. it's amazing the amount of value you get from one of these small boxes. And it frees up your computer to do other things.

Here in the states I'm currently using a WD TV Live Hub with the internal 1tb of storage.. I have Utorrent dump torrents straight to it and run the torrents to the same HDTV I had in Thailand. In case you're wondering, I'm running torrents despite having a great cable service with the same programming and the cable box has a DVR.. because you can't beat the convenience of torrents. They quality is the same as my cables HDTV channels, the sound is the same, but there are no commercials. And I find it far easier to check the magnet links on the EZTV torrent site than setting up the DVR to copy the shows I enjoy. When I want to watch a show I just flip it over to the WD Hub and watch the show. I use the cable for news, sports, and the same sort of programming I use my Sling for in Thailand. You just can't get better quality or a more convenient service. If there was a place to send a check for my torrent usage I would. Torrents put cable and sat tv to shame.

.. I have Utorrent dump torrents straight to it and run the torrents to the same HDTV I had in Thailand. ..

Question: I only use Torrents these days...the one pain though, is copying them from pc to tv via thumbdrive. If I had a WDTV box, I would still need to get the files to it as I obviously want the WDTV box next to my TV, and my office and PC is upstairs with no lan connecting it do downstairs.

So my question is.does WDTV have a wireless capability that would allow me connect it to my home network and download torrents directly to it through my pc?

Question: I only use Torrents these days...the one pain though, is copying them from pc to tv via thumbdrive. If I had a WDTV box, I would still need to get the files to it as I obviously want the WDTV box next to my TV, and my office and PC is upstairs with no lan connecting it do downstairs.

So my question is.does WDTV have a wireless capability that would allow me connect it to my home network and download torrents directly to it through my pc?

With the WDTV Hub Live.. you can move files to it's internal drive via a LAN cable connected to your home network, or via WIFI (you must add an approved USB wifi USB dongle, WD has a list of tested/certified dongles for this device but most of them work) connected to your home network. By adding a USB WIFI dongle to the rear USB port of the WD TV Live Hub.. it will now connect to your home wifi router. Any PC/laptop which can connect to your home network can now access the WD TV Live hub.

If you do not have a wifi router and have no plans on getting one, you can still add a USB WIFI dongle and connect "ad-hoc" directly from your PC/laptop..

Once this is all set up and configured, you just go to options/preferences in Utorrent under "directories" and put in the location of the WD TV Live Hub folder you wish to save your torrents to.. under "move completed downloads to:" and you'll never have to think about it again.

With the WDTV Hub Live.. you can move files to it's internal drive via a LAN cable connected to your home network, or via WIFI (you must add an approved USB wifi USB dongle, WD has a list of tested/certified dongles for this device but most of them work) connected to your home network. By adding a USB WIFI dongle to the rear USB port of the WD TV Live Hub.. it will now connect to your home wifi router. Any PC/laptop which can connect to your home network can now access the WD TV Live hub.

If you do not have a wifi router and have no plans on getting one, you can still add a USB WIFI dongle and connect "ad-hoc" directly from your PC/laptop..

Once this is all set up and configured, you just go to options/preferences in Utorrent under "directories" and put in the location of the WD TV Live Hub folder you wish to save your torrents to.. under "move completed downloads to:" and you'll never have to think about it again.

Brilliant, I have a wifi router so that is perfect, looks like I will be paying a visit to Fortune today to pick a WDTC Live Hub up...

Thanks for your advice...

Brilliant, I have a wifi router so that is perfect, looks like I will be paying a visit to Fortune today to pick a WDTC Live Hub up...

Thanks for your advice...

You'll like it. Once you have the WD TV Live Hub up and running.. be sure to configure it on your PC/laptop's Windows Explorer. Right click on "Computer" (inside Windows Explorer) and then click on "map a network drive" and follow the prompts It's easy enough and you'll end up with what looks and acts like another drive in Windows Explorer which you can name whatever you want. You can then drag and drop files however you like.

The WD TV Live Hub also has FTP functions do you can access it from anywhere in the world. Be sure to set up your passwords.

It doesn't seem to be possible to use DNS when you have True.

I could not get it to work and I found this info on unblock-us

http://portal.unbloc...Yes-I-have.html

I am using ublock-us and Roku XS with True Ultra HighSpeed internet to watch Netflix using the DNS method. It worked flawlessly.

My other PC/Mac also no problem accessing site like Hulu, Pandora, MOG, Slacker, BBC and etc.

It doesn't seem to be possible to use DNS when you have True.

I could not get it to work and I found this info on unblock-us

http://portal.unbloc...Yes-I-have.html

I am using ublock-us and Roku XS with True Ultra HighSpeed internet to watch Netflix using the DNS method. It worked flawlessly.

My other PC/Mac also no problem accessing site like Hulu, Pandora, MOG, Slacker, BBC and etc.

I couldn't get it to work with True either. Works ok with 3BB.

I previously tried setting up unblock-us with True Internet by changing the DNS settings on that PC to the ones used by unblock-us...and it didn't work well..

Later, TV member Negreanu who seems to be our local expert on that service advised it was better to change the DNS settings in your router, instead of the individual PC, to work with unblock-us.

By then, my trial had expired, and I never got around to trying to change the DNS settings at the router level. As I recall the service's instructions, they say you can do it either at the PC or router levels.

I have a Roku 2 HD it's nice but my 3bb 6mb just isn't enough bandwidth...

I am up to sell it to anyone in Chiang Mai ;-) Box and everything - 2K baht

PM me if interested

Yup. Roku streaming on 3BB 6mb sux. I used that before. Now I am very happy with True Ultra-highspeed interent. I can stream at max resolution.

Maybe U should have a look at True. 699baht + Tax for 10mbps.

I previously tried setting up unblock-us with True Internet by changing the DNS settings on that PC to the ones used by unblock-us...and it didn't work well..

Later, TV member Negreanu who seems to be our local expert on that service advised it was better to change the DNS settings in your router, instead of the individual PC, to work with unblock-us.

By then, my trial had expired, and I never got around to trying to change the DNS settings at the router level. As I recall the service's instructions, they say you can do it either at the PC or router levels.

I did change the dns in the router. It won't work :( I will have to stick with torrents I guess.

Strange it doesn't work for you. works perfectly for me and others.

Perhaps you set the router DNS then did not change the individual PC DNS so it was using those instead of what your set in the router.

Actually using VPN with a Roku or apple tv etc. is pretty much a nightmare as you will need to get a VPN capable router or flash it with a VPN firmware - just not that easy.

Reference 3bb 6mb a colleague use's that with unblock-us works fine however when using VPN he had many rebutters and pauses and stream quality drops on the roku.

Edited by negreanu

I have a Roku 2 HD it's nice but my 3bb 6mb just isn't enough bandwidth...

I am up to sell it to anyone in Chiang Mai ;-) Box and everything - 2K baht

PM me if interested

Yup. Roku streaming on 3BB 6mb sux. I used that before. Now I am very happy with True Ultra-highspeed interent. I can stream at max resolution.

Maybe U should have a look at True. 699baht + Tax for 10mbps.

Does True Ultra-highspeed internet come into your house via the phone wiring or does it require special cable wiring?