Poll For Those With A Thai Spouse

azmatt73

351 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

62% no sinsot

73% never sex worker

Geez guys, are you lying to yourselves or lying to everyone else?

Either that or they are in self denial.

I've lived in this Amphur in excess of 10 years and personally know 34 Farang who live here more than 6 months a year and only 3 out of them can genuinely say their partners were not bar girls. Sinsot varied from zero upwards to 100,000. I paid zero in cash BUT went to the local land bank and bought back the household chanoot for 62K Baht and placed that on the plate at the traditional wedding.

Your estimate of 10% not sex worker seems far more realistic.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does a guy marry a hooker? Why are some not sure if she was a hooker knowing there is probably a fair chance if she is a bar girl?

Frequent sex, skilled in the bedroom, no headaches, no silly excuses like they have to be in the mood or they don't feel like it ..

I could go on.

It makes me wonder why any man would be daft enough to get married to someone who hadn't been a hooker.

Edited by ludditeman
  • Like 2

I'm surprised by a few things.

Why does a guy marry a hooker? Why are some not sure if she was a hooker knowing there is probably a fair chance if she is a bar girl?

How much gold is a baht? Obviously more than a baht as in currency denomination?

I don't get it either. None of my friends here married prostitutes and I sure as hell wouldn't either.

A baht is about 1/2 an ounce.

wife hairdresser,no sinsod,we have young baby,wifes mum is poorish,but has happy life,told us to keep money for our child,we are going down south to visit her next month i am going to build her a better kitchen...she is lovely,right from the start she asked for no money,she always says "i work and can take care of myself"

Frequent sex, skilled in the bedroom, no headaches, no silly excuses like they have to be in the mood or they don't feel like it ..

I could go on.

It makes me wonder why any man would be daft enough to get married to someone who hadn't been a hooker.

Makes sense...

When she steels from you, you don't need to waste time investigating - you know who it is already.

When she doesn't answer her phone, you don't need to worry about her safety - you know she is with another guy.

You already know what she likes in bed because you can ask the other guys and compare notes at the beer bar.

You don't have to think too hard about what investments to make or what to do with your savings, she's consuming them all - Life is a breeze.

You don't have to worry about where to go out for a nice dinner - All she likes is som-tam.

You have no need to consider whether or not she is ok if you have to go away for work - Her 'brother' will come round and look after her.

Yes... anyone would be foolish not to shack up with an ex-hooker...

• Like 2

Seems I was the only one to pay over 500,000 sin sot. . And only one of 2 people whose wife had a post graduate degree. The marriage only lasted 4 months so goes to show education of the wife means nothing and you donot always get what you pay for.

Blimey, that's 125000 baht a month. For that money you could have bought a brand new car. That no one has ever been inside before, could accommodate 4 people, could cover more distance on less amount of juice and overall a lot cheaper for a far better ride.

No one has ever been in the one I'm present driving. The only problem is, it's difficult to teach the car to the necessary tricks.

Edited by Derifo

Seems I was the only one to pay over 500,000 sin sot. . And only one of 2 people whose wife had a post graduate degree. The marriage only lasted 4 months so goes to show education of the wife means nothing and you donot always get what you pay for.

Blimey, that's 125000 baht a month. For that money you could have bought a brand new car. That no one has ever been inside before, could accommodate 4 people, could cover more distance on less amount of juice and overall a lot cheaper for a far better ride.

Secondhand bike, more healthy than new car.

The only difference is experience, but with time and patience the new one will become better.

8K sin sot. 2 Baht gold. Gold was about 8K Baht I believe in those days. And they had to squeeze that out of me, I was even taken to the ATM to get money and said that was my allowance for the day :rolleyes:.

Marriage lasted 2 months. Never again though. In disgust I took back all I had bought her. Mobile phone, clothes and anything else before I threw her out of my rented house. No problem she had the gold and the cash. Interesting experience to have once.

I also gave the house to my wife . Now I rent.

Gave my car last week to my ex because it's in her name and I got tired of fighting to keep it, while at the same time paying for it monthly.

I could go on.

Makes sense...

When she steels from you, you don't need to waste time investigating - you know who it is already.

When she doesn't answer her phone, you don't need to worry about her safety - you know she is with another guy.

You already know what she likes in bed because you can ask the other guys and compare notes at the beer bar.

You don't have to think too hard about what investments to make or what to do with your savings, she's consuming them all - Life is a breeze.

You don't have to worry about where to go out for a nice dinner - All she likes is som-tam.

You have no need to consider whether or not she is ok if you have to go away for work - Her 'brother' will come round and look after her.

Yes... anyone would be foolish not to shack up with an ex-hooker...

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy:

Sound like you have some insider knowledge.

richard_smith, exactly!! cheesy.gif

I would have difficulty with the whole concept of living with/being married to a former hooker. It's just not me, nor something I could ever contemplate.

Derifo, there's a lesson there for every man who takes up with a Thai woman. Don't put anything in her name if you don't want to be poor. I'm sure they aren't all the same, but why run the risk??

Edited by F4UCorsair

• 2 weeks later...

62% no sinsot

73% never sex worker

Or, more likely, telling the truth.

I once read, in a Lonely Planet guide book I think, that it is important to remember that whilst it is true 5% of Thai women between 20 and 35 work in some way in the sex industry, this means that 95% do not!

A fact some members here would do well to remember.

I trust that those who say they could never marry a former prostitute have never in their lives partaken of the services of same. Otherwise they are surely being somewhat hypocritical; "it's ok for me to buy sex but not for her to sell it." Without men willing to buy sex, the oldest profession would not exist!

My view is that if both parties are aware of and accept each others past, that is up to them; it is no business of anyone else.

62% no sinsot

73% never sex worker

Or, more likely, telling the truth.

I once read, in a Lonely Planet guide book I think, that it is important to remember that whilst it is true 5% of Thai women between 20 and 35 work in some way in the sex industry, this means that 95% do not!

A fact some members here would do well to remember.

An interesting response. Beside the fact Lonely Planet guides are completely daft and full of BS IMHO. Either

1) I am meeting the wrong sort of ex-pats

or

2) Others are too darf to recognize a hooker (or ex-hooker) when they see one.

My gf usually confirms my opinions or spots them first, usually they tell her and boast about how much 'allowance' their present customer pays them, she always blabs to me (if I don't overhear the conversation).

But on the other hand, you might be right and me and my gf might be wrong.

That's the fun thing about life, everyone views it from their own reality.

Edited by ludditeman

If you believe that all ex pats, except you of course, are married to or in a relationship with an ex hooker, then you are definitely meeting the "wrong sort" of ex pat!

How a couple met and their activities before that, or even after, are their concern, not anyone else's.

I'm not a Christian, but was raised as one and I do agree with:

Judge not, lest ye be judged

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

If you believe that all ex pats, except you of course, are married to or in a relationship with an ex hooker, then you are definitely meeting the "wrong sort" of ex pat!

How a couple met and their activities before that, or even after, are their concern, not anyone else's.

I'm not a Christian, but was raised as one and I do agree with:

Judge not, lest ye be judged

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Why would I care about what my gfs did before i met them?

It's not as if I haven't had a few previous lovers, unfortunately none that would pay ME for sex.

I don't believe I ever said ALL, by the way. ALL would be 100%

PS

One of my 3 friends, does appear to be dating a completely legit girl, proper job and all.

His first ever legit girl in Thailand, as far as I know. She doesn't get on with our wives and gfs.

Edited by ludditeman

• 1 month later...

I'm surprised by a few things.

How much gold is a baht? Obviously more than a baht as in currency denomination?

Think of the movie Pretty Women with Julie Roberts. If all hookers in the West were like that, a lot more men would marry them. Richard Gere in the movie did propose to her.

Many bargirls in Thailand are very sweet,loyal and sexy. I can understand it well. Some are hardened conniving women that will steel you blind, but you will get that with normal girls all over the world as well.

• Like 1

PS

One of my 3 friends, does appear to be dating a completely legit girl, proper job and all.

His first ever legit girl in Thailand, as far as I know. She doesn't get on with our wives and gfs.

Small update on the legit girl.

She appears to be married and cheating on her Thai husband with my friend.

You couldn't make it up, could you!

• 2 weeks later...

I bet you complain about you Government Electric Bill like the rest that are married to HI SO Thais

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at the poll results, about one quarter married ex hookers. (Including the 'probably' votes). ONE QUARTER of all Thai-Foreign couples you see.. That's an incredible percentage. No, it's not 'all', but a number like that has got to be pretty remarkable anywhere in the world. (Also considering that only around 5% of the population are in this line of work. )

It seems not that hard to meet the 'wrong' (your words) sort of expat, one in every four. And those are the ones who admit to it. Plus the wording of the poll was pretty restrictive in 'bargirls'.. So many guys would just click 'Nope' even though she was a massage girl or some other entertainment related profession.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

It seems not that hard to meet the 'wrong' (your words) sort of expat

Not my words, as the quote marks I used show, but those used by Ludditeman in the preceding post.

Perhaps you should read the whole conversation before passing comment.

Plus the wording of the poll was pretty restrictive in 'bargirls'......

Have a look at the question again; it's not asking just about ex bargirls.

PS

Small update on the legit girl.

She appears to be married and cheating on her Thai husband with my friend.

You couldn't make it up, could you!

Another update Miss Mrs. Legit has a Thai husband, another Thai lover, and she just asked my pal for money to to help her build a house.

Looks like everyone I know is with a hooker!

Edited by ludditeman

• 4 weeks later...

Secondhand bike, more healthy than new car.

I thought thats what most end up with "a secondhand bike "..........clap2.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Sin sot for mine was around 400,000. Most of it was returned, except maybe 100,000 or so, which is fair enough as I have been living with them for a small informal rent [which they didnt want to take] from about 2009 so was happy to help them get a new car as the old one her dad drives is a black-and-rust two-tone model now. Most of the cash was inherited money anyway, so is not an issue, though I have to admit that the whole system seems a bit odd to me in the 21st century

Bachelors degree, Chulankongorn. Strict middle class responsible upbringing so she hates bars.

• 2 weeks later...

why so many man here try to know by other's how great and confortable a pair of shoes could be without taking the time to try them....

if everybody had the same size and form of foot i would understand ....but as we know that this is not the case

nobody can assume that all thai ladies with similar background will automaticaly behave the same for the rest of their life...

some shoes wear out pretty quickly when the walker that's wear them is already unbalanced.....

and if at the first try...you feel unconfortable with your new shoes.....it is up to you to leave them there and try another pair....

taking care of a horse back home cost me more then 10,000tbh per month.....and he never had a soft skin like my thai girlfriend ......so sometimes it's maybe good to rewind the tape instead of only focusing on the littles negatives aspect of a thing.....nothing is perfect in this world

My wife was BG, paid 80,000 sin sod (just face money because she was married once and has three kids), and she has been living with me in the States for over 8 years. She is a really wonderful person and I couldn't have asked for better. She works and never tries to extort money from me (i.e., no dead buffalo stories). She cares for my every need and loves me unconditionally. I hear all the formulaic advice being given, but I believe that everyone is an individual. I am a very lucky guy.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

There are a few good reasons that marrying the right bar girl could work for you - and two dozen why it most likely won't. For me, it's not about all the sex she has had with loads of guys per-se. There is a a certain limits that have been broken, when one works in this environment. You can't put the genie back in the bottle.

Sex as a work / chore - yeah she might still be a bit of nasty fun, but its just in a days work.

Pathological lying, cons and games

Stealing. Large or small, from you or Thai's. Some really lose their heads and become serious, serious thieves. Con artists and room sifters.

Serious drug usage. Meth-heads, Tweakers, Ice and Yaba.

STDs/STIs lifelong, including potential cervical cancer

Obsession with money - yours, taking it from you

Obsession with money - boasting what she has been able to peel off you

Self absorbed - In the end, it is always about her and never about us or you.

Distinct manner in which a bar girl acts that labels her as both "lo-so" and a prostitute. It is not easy to wash this out of her, especially if you remain in Thailand.

A magnetic draw back to the bar and action - married life as life back in the moo bahn is a bore and a chore. Hence the you can take the girl out of the bar maxim. Life is exciting in the bar scene, guys flirting and always some drama going on.

Honestly, I hope it does. There is no reason that she could not make a GREAT wife if her head were on straight. I also think there is a big difference in the generations.

Woman out of a bar in the 70/80s not the same as a woman out of the bar in the last decade.

Seems like 30% have owned up to marrying BGs. From what I see around where I live and travel in BKK - nearly every guy I see appears to have a girl from out of the bar. Of course, its only a hunch based on 20 years experience in Asia.

You don't have to ask if a woman is on the game, most of the women I see with men I can tell immediately if this is a present or former part of their life. Even the working women servicing Thai's around the area I can usually pick out quickly. Not just the clothes, but there is a sullen, quiet demeanor.

Edited by bangkokburning