The Passport Rule...Being Enforced?

OldGringo

Nobody has yet to quote from Thai law to state the actual legal position. I think it will be hard to find. Given the average intelligence of police here I doubt most of them would know the actual law either. Doesn't mean they aren't going to chart you off, but the reality is you would follow a cop commanding you to do so! Problem is it's not always to a police station. An old staff membe go hitup in Sukhumvit 22 last year. His wife is a cop also but these guys took his phone and threatened to place drugs on him. 20,000 baht to clear the problem!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new Thai driving licenses have your passport number imprinted near the bottom front, if that's any help to you.

.......and your address on the back.

I do also have a copy of my front page and retirement visa on the reverse, in colour, laminated down to wallet size.

They can tickle my tits til Christmas, but I'm not going to carry such an important item as a passport everywhere I go.

Tried that, too, have you ?! :blink:

I have been living in Thailand for 1.5 years now. In that time I've been stopped by the police exactly two times - both because I wasn't wear a helmet while riding a motorbike. The second time I did not have my license on me and was fined 300 THB because of it (this was an actual fine that I had to go to the police station to pay, not just bribe money). I don't carry ID with me almost ever anymore and I don't think it is a big deal here.

Two times I have been witness to foreigners asked for their passports, recently I passed through Thoen between Lampang and Tak and at the roadblock there they were pulling cars at random searching and doing ID checks. They saw my Thai licence but wanted me to proceed to the desk with passport where they were running ID's through a computer. The police handed back my passport without even opening it but did check the Thai I was travelling with through the computer. The other time was about 17 years ago down south but that was a joint immigration/police check that was more for show. Most people had forewarning to be carrying their passports on them a couple of days in advance. I leave mine in the car just in case but don't carry it on me as the licence seems to cover most situations.

Two incidences so far apart and so trivial means I don't lose any sleep if I do forget it.

But when travelling out of CM I would suggest as other posters have said to carry it as who knows if that whim that MR BIB has at the moment to make some coin won't be be yours.

2 places I have been where they are very serious about seeing original passports are 1. on the buses in the area of the Golden Triangle and Mae Sai. (I saw them detain a nicely dressed Thai woman who did not have her ID with her); and 2. in Pattani where there are military checkpoints everywhere. In both places they took my passport and ran a check on it in the computer.

This topic comes up frequently on ThaiVisa it seems. At a CM Expats meeting last year I asked the CM Immigration officers presenting whether foreigners are required to carry a passport at all times and the answer was that the law states we do indeed need to carry our original passport at all times and that a copy is insufficient.

My reason for asking was that I (and a few others) was detained for about 30 minutes at the CM airport when picking up a visitor when an officer asked me to produce my passport. I had only a copy and he declined to even look at it. He took my Thai driver's license however and my wife's ID with him as we waited. When he returned the IDs, I was given a rather stern warning and a threat of jail if he caught me again without a passport. I think he must have been having a pretty bad day. I think whether you carry one or not depends on what your experiences have been.

It is a legal requirement that every foreigner must carry a passport if out and about and a valid driving license if driving a vehicle.

It`s all really down to the luck of the draw, at the discretion of the police

officer that pulls you up at the time. If you are unlucky enough to get pulled

by an officer on the day he didn't get that promotion he was so hoping for, or his

girlfriend was suffering from an acute headache on that particular morning and he's

in a stinking mood, you could be his first victim.

He does have the powers to make things very uncomfortable and inconvenient for

you if he so wishes. If you believe that a photocopy will suffice, fine,

then that must be left up to your own discretion.

As the wise man says; <deleted> or bust.

Edited by Beetlejuice

"An old staff membe go hitup in Sukhumvit 22 last year. His wife is a cop also but these guys took his phone and threatened to place drugs on him. 20,000 baht to clear the problem! "

Has any one, on the Board, actually been The Person to who this type of coercion happened ?

I have heard this type of tale hundreds of time , but it always happens to some one else or a bloke told me in the bar last night.

I have friends and acquaintances who have lived in Thailand for over 40 years and we did discus this very matter a few weeks ago.

No one had had this type of Police scam worked on them but all my self included had heard such tales.

john

It is a legal requirement that every foreigner must carry a passport if out and about and a valid driving license if driving a vehicle.

It`s all really down to the luck of the draw, at the discretion of the police

officer that pulls you up at the time. If you are unlucky enough to get pulled

by an officer on the day he didn't get that promotion he was so hoping for, or his

girlfriend was suffering from an acute headache on that particular morning and he's

in a stinking mood, you could be his first victim.

He does have the powers to make things very uncomfortable and inconvenient for

you if he so wishes. If you believe that a photocopy will suffice, fine,

then that must be left up to your own discretion.

As the wise man says; <deleted> or bust.

Why do you say it is a legal requirement? I am trying to find out the law and who would enforce this. As I have said, I am not worried of anything happening to me because I do not go out much... I am just curious.

MSPain

I have been living in Thailand for 1.5 years now. In that time I've been stopped by the police exactly two times - both because I wasn't wear a helmet while riding a motorbike. The second time I did not have my license on me and was fined 300 THB because of it (this was an actual fine that I had to go to the police station to pay, not just bribe money). I don't carry ID with me almost ever anymore and I don't think it is a big deal here.

Do you act like this in your home country ? If not, why ?

Do you act like this in your home country ? If not, why ?

I would if I were earning western salary and getting stopped cost me 4 quid or 6 dollars.

I don't think anyone has ever asked for my passport. apart from a stupid hotel clerk who took it and saw the "admitted until" stamp on the departure card for a date 3 months prior. grabbed my passport and called the police on me before I could shove the extension stamp into her stupid face. I go with an "expired" stamp for 9 months every year so I don't show my passport even if I have it on me. strictly for out of province travel only. if I lose it, it's an expensive and inconvenient trip back to Europe, can't get a new one here. I won't risk that no matter what. driving licence well enough for most purposes. even for the bank.

Edited by Firelily

Regarding the law, any foreigner's interpretation of the law, if it exists, would not mean anything. The deciding factor would be the policeman's interpretation at a particular moment, just like all other legal issues here.

I have to agree with the above. I have lived full time in Thailand for 7 years.I had never been asked to produce my passport by other than immigration, hotels and occasionally a credit card purchase. Consequently, most of the time I did not have it with me. About 2 1/2 years ago I started carrying my passport on the advice of another expat. His feeling was, why not carry it all the time if you happen to need it. He also was under the impression it is a requirement. This past September, driving from Rayong to Chumphon we were stopped just outside the Chumphon province. This time there were border patrol police also regular Royal Thai police. The border policeman on my wife's side of the car asked for her National ID and my drivers license. The Royal Thai policeman on my side asked for my passport. He then wanted to look at my Thai drivers license as well. when those requirements/requests were met ,both police proceeded to search our luggage, under seats, glove compartment, under floor mats, went through may shaving kit and medicine. A relatively thorough search. They then thanked us and sent us on our way.I should point out that I was the only farang stopped, the other 4 or 5 cars were Thais getting the same treatment. My assumption is that it was my Rayong license plates on my car. My wife feels that it is the new governments get tough on drugs show of force. Random, who knows?

I was happy to produce my passport, not a copy, not a hi resolution image on my iphone, not an argument about Thai law and whether or not I really need to carry it all the time. I have no way of knowing what would have happened if I had not had my passport. I will leave that experience for someone else.

The general consensus seems to be that you won't be asked to show your passport or be otherwise harassed unless you are travelling in areas notorious for drug trafficing, illegal immigration, etc. Or in towns, engaged in obnoxious activities such as singing in bars or otherwise disturbing the peace.

The question of whether or not there is a law saying you need to carry your passport at all times has not been answered.

Since the late 90's, announcements coming from Immigration imply that there is. It would be nice to know one way or the other. Although in reality it's a moot point because you are at the mercy of whoever has stopped you, and you will be dealt with according to the way they choose to interpret whatever law or laws may or may not exist.

This gauleiter mentality never seems to die. It just changes uniforms from time to time.

• 1 month later...

gauleiter mentality

A rare treat to learn an unfamiliar term these days. Nicely used too...jap.gif

Yes, and so much nicer than to banter a bit about a Farang Santa Claus being stopped by police and asked for identification.

Really excellent.

Thanks, I love you guys.

But Homeboy oughta be drawn and quartered for bringing up a dangerous subject like that.

Thanks, I love you guys.

But Homeboy oughta be drawn and quartered for bringing up a dangerous subject like that.

Sorry Gringo, I didn't mean to kick the hornet's nest.

But maybe there's a lesson to be learned from all this. Don't put on your Santa Claus suit until Christmas Eve, and even then, try to avoid the Gauleiters.

• 1 month later...

The general consensus seems to be that you won't be asked to show your passport or be otherwise harassed unless you are travelling in areas notorious for drug trafficing, illegal immigration, etc. Or in towns, engaged in obnoxious activities such as singing in bars or otherwise disturbing the peace.

The question of whether or not there is a law saying you need to carry your passport at all times has not been answered.

Since the late 90's, announcements coming from Immigration imply that there is. It would be nice to know one way or the other. Although in reality it's a moot point because you are at the mercy of whoever has stopped you, and you will be dealt with according to the way they choose to interpret whatever law or laws may or may not exist.

This gauleiter mentality never seems to die. It just changes uniforms from time to time.

There is a letter in Monday's Bangkok Post from a foreigner about what happened to him when he was unable to show his passport when he was out and about.

Are times changing? Again?

Anything similar to this in Chiang Mai recently?

No change in rules. But, as has been pointed out earlier in this topic:

* You are required to produce ID upon request at any time from a police officer.

* Often, copies of a passport or a driver's license is accepted. But it's at the discretion of the police officer, so you'd do well to not be too far away from your original passport.

* The person posting in that newspaper was of African American origin, and lives in downtown Bangkok, where police are trying (and mostly failing) to get a grip on African gangs involved in drugs and scams. If I was of African decent and living in Bangkok then I'd carry my passport at all times too.

(The guy was carrying a bag with books; why not carry a passport in there. Even right now today I carry my passport in my laptop bag which usally isn't too far away from me.)

Anyway, in summary: This Is Thailand, and your mileage with police varies. No change from last year, 5 years ago, or 20 years ago.

I have PR for Thailand. Last year I moved to CM and therefore had to 'transfer' the police registration file from the old province to CM.

After a frustrating search we eventually found the CM police station which keeps such records. The CM policeman who accepted the file spoke perfect English and was a very pleasant man.

I had asked this question (need to carry passport / PR book etc., at all times) several times before in the old location and got several quite different answers.

So I asked the CM man the same question, His reply was that the law is unclear but he quickly added, your Thai drivers license is sufficient for a quick check if needed, but if there is a more complicated matter then the police will ask to see your passport and your PR book and your police registration book, you cannot refuse, and you should bring it quickly.

He then turned to my adult Thai son and said politely "do you know exactly whese these books are at home?" The answer was yes.

I asked him about carrying a photocopy of passport, he hesitated a little then said "sure, why not."

There is no such law or requirement.

The law says everyone must carry ID. If you are not Thai, almost anything with your photo is generally acceptable.Even a photocopy of your passport.

What law are you referring to?

A quote from a UK government web site: By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport upon request.

MSPain

and what happens when you apply for a new passport? whilst living here?

The law says everyone must carry ID. If you are not Thai, almost anything with your photo is generally acceptable.Even a photocopy of your passport.

A quote from a UK government web site: By law, you must carry your passport with you at all times in Thailand. Tourists have been arrested because they were unable to produce their passport upon request.

MSPain

Then they issue one. Read the information on their Interweb.

MSPain

Then they issue one. Read the information on their Interweb.

well i was left without my passport 2 years ago whilst it got sent to Hong Kong and was told by the British embassy 'not to worry' ! explain that one !!!!

If the reason you sent the passport to Hong Kong was renewal, then it was unnecessary, The British Embassy makes an exception for Thailand (due to carrying id regs) and states a copy should be sent.

Whilst a Thai Driving License is id for who you are it does not show if you have a current visa/permission to stay which is why the passport should be available in a reasonable time-span to verify if asked. On a personal note I do not carry real passport, only copy and Thai driving license.