Floodwater Spreading Into Inner Bangkok

webfact

... this is as watching a train wreck, in slow motion ... and billions of m3 of water still to pass ... we evacuated, then returned in the middle of last week.

... now believing only what we see and but half of what we hear, we are preparing to re-evacuate.

... our lives and businesses are suspended in a vacuum of freakish incompetence ... what could possibly sabotage the resources available in this modern age of technology and communication?

... this is all so ... absurd.

I am in the same situation: re-evacuate. The kind of information is freacky, unreliable and made by incompetents! When will we finally know the real situation? Is there anyone at FROC competent enough to tell the truth to the people? It is reaaly absurd...

The government has proven for pretty much a month now that they have no clue - so why even pay any attention to what they say?

I'd go with the expert who previously predicted the Tsunami. What he said weeks ago made a lot of sense: 16 bn cubic meters of water are coming, 500 million can be drained a day, makes 32 days of flooding for Bangkok. He said that at the time Ayutthaya was under water and BKK was still dry.

What the government is doing trying to protect various parts of the city can in the grand scheme of things only slow this process down. In the best case, there is no slowdown. In any other case, there is a slowdown of drainage.

Those are the facts. So get out of there for at least a month, 45 days to be on the safe side. You can always return early should conditions warrant it.

If the government says this or that won't flood - well they'll try, but I wouldn't bet 10 Baht on it. Even in the best of cases, with all the top staff super competent flood relief experts, the amount of water coming would be very difficult, perhaps impossible to control. And as everyone knows... they're not experts. Far from it. The BMA is fighting the FROC is fighting the locals - it's a huge mess.

Edited by nikster

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I took the NCA bus from Pattaya to Chiang Mai, which now takes 14 rather than 12 hours due to new route avoiding the floods. As we crossed roads leading out of Bangkok to the east, these roads were totally jammed with overcrowded pickups, cars with belongings on the roof and other assorted traffic. An amazing and sad sight!

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum size.

Bangkok has been recognised as a very potential problem area liable to a combination of both subsidence and at risk of rising sea levels.

Apparently things have been getting put in place for many years to avert some of these risks????????

http://www.climate.org/topics/international-action/thailand.htm

So what is happening if what is said in the above link is being carried out?

This is not a short term exodus. Almost everyone I know who is leaving Bkk is not expecting or wanting to go back.

So sad for a few that had bought their apartments or condos, but even they are saying no thanks -- they will clean up and try to sell.

The general concensus is that bkk will never be the same again. A lot of production companies will be very wary of going back into the units that have been destroyed. There is talk of many looking for alternative sites.

Edited cos I hit "send" by accident :unsure:

Edited by jpinx

This is not a short term exodus. Almost everyone I know who is leaving Bkk is not expecting or wanting to go back.

So sad for a few that had bought their apartments or condos, but even they are saying no thanks -- they will clean up and try to sell.

Understandable since they are in a stressful situation, however I doubt they are leaving Bangkok for good. After a few months upcountry, they will be wanting to come back.

People are emotional now and are not thinking clearly.

EDIT: I assume you are talking about Thai people.

Edited by IsaanUSA

Give it to the Dutch , they know what to do , their country has big surfaces UNDER sea level , great water managing experts.

You only need to have a monkey with its finger on the button at the right time to avert what's happened here. Last time I looked, Holland was still in Western Europe. Dutch 'experts' will probably be good at keeping seawater out of Bangkok in the future, perhaps not so hot at controlling massive monsoonal run-off in a tropical country.

Give it to the Dutch , they know what to do , their country has big surfaces UNDER sea level , great water managing experts.

I believe the Dutch offered to send water management experts to assist. In fact, they have made numerous offers long before this flood. I think they got the same response as the Americans got with their offer of a carrier task force.

That is that Thais will take care of their own problems and will not make a request for help or facilitate any outside that does not go through the government.

This post is very wrong, A Dutch embassy person was interviewed on Channel 99,, I think it is AsianTV,, Sunday night 06/11/2011, He said the Dutch Engineers had been consuting with Thai Engineers about the flood problem in Thailand for some years now, and are now with this flood, instead of just thinking find out the real situation before making silly posts, don't take my word for it, contact the Dutch embassy or the TV channel.

You only need to have a monkey with its finger on the button at the right time to avert what's happened here. Last time I looked, Holland was still in Western Europe. Dutch 'experts' will probably be good at keeping seawater out of Bangkok in the future, perhaps not so hot at controlling massive monsoonal run-off in a tropical country.

Gross underestimating of my countries experts. They are renowned world wide and for a good reason. They study not only about the Dutch situation but all situations. They go the world around giving advice.

Problem is in countries like this corruption fouls up even the best made plans.

We also have problems with rivers that come from other countries and overflow. Its not just the sea. But we have a system to manage it. Fools that don't know what they are talking about should educate themselves first.

Bangkok with one third the people sounds pretty good. Maybe a chance to tear down some areas and build some parks ... and lakes.

..........and bigger capacity canals B)

...and dig up the filled in canals that were made into parking lots and apartment buildings.

Fools that don't know what they are talking about should educate themselves first.

Wow, you guys get really touchy/nationalistic, eh. Must be all that mayonnaise. :whistling:

So I take it being a Dutch expert, you've prevented your house from flooding?

Fools that don't know what they are talking about should educate themselves first.

Wow, you guys get really touchy/nationalistic, eh. Must be all that mayonnaise. :whistling:

So I take it being a Dutch expert, you've prevented your house from flooding?

No i did not, im not a water expert. I also did not know what was coming because of the misinformation of the government. Had i known i could have prevented a bit more damage. But the house would still be flooded.

All that misinformation about the Dutch only having to battle the sea while we got water coming into our country from a river. We made good flood plains for it. We calculated it. Still it can go wrong at times. (especially when people don't do what they are told like building in flood plains)

But if you fail to know about my country but do make stupid remarks about it without any knowledge then yes i will respond. The Thais could learn a lot from us, but even with our advice it wont be safe here. Mainly because of corruption, you can make super plans but if they are all made with cheaper materials or changed to profit someone then they still wont work.

Lol, my German buddy was right... bit like the Aussies, can't take it up you.

Anyway, before this gets deleted, all what misinformation? Holland isn't in Western Europe? Holland does suffer from monsoonal run-off? Think you're perhaps confused with another thread. However, no need to be so tetchy and start waveing your flag... that carry-on just makes one come across as a little boy.

What irks many is the constant remarks about how useless the Thais are and what is needed is the superior Dutch to come along and show them how it's done. Not necessary and a completely different kettle of fish.

Anyway, before this gets deleted, all what misinformation? Holland isn't in Western Europe? Holland does suffer from monsoonal run-off? Think you're perhaps confused with another thread. However, no need to be so tetchy and start waveing your flag... that carry-on just makes one come across as a little boy.

What irks many is the constant remarks about how useless the Thais are and what is needed is the superior Dutch to come along and show them how it's done. Not necessary and a completely different kettle of fish.

Yes keep on spreading misinformation to cover up your own lack of knowledge. The Dutch are the water experts. Do you really think we only focus on what is happening in our country in the education ?. We are a small country we are really internationally focused.

I don't mind you slagging off the Dutch.. by all means but do it with knowledge. Not with some foolish remarks.

I could go on and on with examples of Dutch water engineers working all over the world and helping in situations quite similar to the Thai situation and you still would not retract your words. I wonder who is the small child.

I don't feel proud to be Dutch, someone other is the water engineer not me. I don't need to derive pride from others accomplishments. I just combat wrong information.

With help of Dutch engineers (not now now its too later all they can do is damage control) They could have had a much better setup.

Yes keep on spreading misinformation to cover up your own lack of knowledge. The Dutch are the water experts. Do you really think we only focus on what is happening in our country in the education ?. We are a small country we are really internationally focused.

I don't mind you slagging off the Dutch.. by all means but do it with knowledge. Not with some foolish remarks.

I could go on and on with examples of Dutch water engineers working all over the world and helping in situations quite similar to the Thai situation and you still would not retract your words. I wonder who is the small child.

I don't feel proud to be Dutch, someone other is the water engineer not me. I don't need to derive pride from others accomplishments. I just combat wrong information.

With help of Dutch engineers (not now now its too later all they can do is damage control) They could have had a much better setup.

... girls, girls, stop arguing, please! ... you are both pretty.

... now, the practical matter is that these are Thais ... anyone who has lived here for 2+ years accepts that Thais will invite no foreigners to correct their failings, including this one ... Thais are culturally prohibited from doing this, and it is simply not going to happen ... so, get past the "they should do this, or that" mental masturbation ... yes ... they should ... but, they won't.

Edited by swillowbee

... now, the practical matter is that these are Thais ... anyone who has lived here for 2+ years accepts that Thais will invite no foreigners to correct their failings, including this one ... Thais are culturally prohibited from doing this, and it is simply not going to happen ... so, get past the "they should do this, or that" mental masturbation ... yes ... they should ... but, they won't.

I think you should have read few of my posts above this one where i said that even if the Dutch were called in it would fail because of the corruption. Not to mention the fact the Thais would loose face like you are pointing out so good.

So i totally agree with you.

This is the third time I have corrected this type of post, The Dutch Engineers have been helping the Thai Water Management Engineers for some years Already, and by invitation from the Thais, this was stated by a Dutch Embassy offical in a interview on Asians TV channel, 99, Sunday the 06/11/2011, and are helping the Thai with flood even now. Ask the TV channel or the Dutch Embassy I am sure they will tell you it is correct.

If the rich elite: the army, the judiciary, the academics, business leaders etc had supported the government at this time of national crisis a few weeks ago, maybe this situation would now be under control. Now their beloved Siam Paragon, Central World and the fancy restaurants of Bangkok may end up under water. Som Num Na!

If the rich elite: the army, the judiciary, the academics, business leaders etc had supported the government at this time of national crisis a few weeks ago, maybe this situation would now be under control. Now their beloved Siam Paragon, Central World and the fancy restaurants of Bangkok may end up under water. Som Num Na!

I agree 100%, excellent post! If the rich elite Yingluck with her experience as a business leader in her brothers company as a figure head, and her academic credentials from the prestigious University of Corntucky had listened to experts in the field of water flow months ago she could still be able to buy her precious Burberry boots from those fancy markets for more than she has offered the families that have lost everything. Burberry boots 7,000 baht, people that lost their homes to her incompetence 5000 baht. As for those dam_n military that have shown leadership and willingness to help the civilian population despite having their hands tied because a certain individual would rather play with lives than call this emergency what it is, a state of emergency i have to agree as well. Eat Som Turd!jap.gif

I agree 100%, excellent post! If the rich elite Yingluck with her experience as a business leader in her brothers company as a figure head, and her academic credentials from the prestigious University of Corntucky had listened to experts in the field of water flow months ago she could still be able to buy her precious Burberry boots from those fancy markets for more than she has offered the families that have lost everything. Burberry boots 7,000 baht, people that lost their homes to her incompetence 5000 baht. As for those dam_n military that have shown leadership and willingness to help the civilian population despite having their hands tied because a certain individual would rather play with lives than call this emergency what it is, a state of emergency i have to agree as well. Eat Som Turd!jap.gif

+1