Why The Hate

Banzai99

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's it basically, why do so many posters here slag Thailand and Thai people off, whilst living in Thailand and having a Thai partner by choice ?

It could be lots of things, anger, frustration, etc, whatever. I would ask you, why do you care and will the answer set you free?

I do not think 'hate' is a proper description of most of us, toward Thailand and its people. As we watched our children grow and mature, we saw antics and mindsets that we knew would be self defeating, thus we tried to change and explain based on our success and failures. We have done the same with adults in the work force, family, friends, etc.

The way we word our suggestions may seem to some as 'hate' but forums do not lend themselves to proper interpretation due to lack of observing facial expressions, body language and the individuals sense of humor/cynicism.

There's nothing like a good whine... and that's all it is much of the time. The rest of the time... racism pure and simple; you notice how this kind of poster always generalises, "Thais this" and "Thais that". What this implies is that they don't actually know many Thais on any kind of personal level.

Maybe some do it out of frustration as opposed to hate. Hate is a very powerful word.

We Farang are stupid. We know nothing. We invented nothing. We do not understand about the world (the world is Thailand, of course, not anything outside of it). We get ripped off often. Most cannot understand what is said to them in Thai. We are second class citizens in many cases.

The list goes on and on if you read enough here or listen to many Farang who live here and to so many who do not live here. There are many tales of woe.

Hate? No. Frustration and venting some of that frustration? Yes. But we would do that anywhere, wouldn't we?

Partly just adaptation to a foreign culture, the struggle to understand, and the like. It's mostly not intended to be mean-spirited I think. Most of us understand that if Thais were to come and live in the West they would have tons to gripe about too- and would need to vent.

I complain about Thailand but choose to live here because it is better than any alternatives I've seen. It's not a black/white thing- no culture is hell and no place is heaven. Thailand is, in the end, just a great place with a lot of problems. But it's got fewer problems that affect me directly than my home country and is a great alternative.

I guess the people who "hate on" the Thais the most live in places like Pattaya or Phuket or similar touristy areas. I live in Si Racha, and the people here are friendly and polite. You can walk around without getting hassled as being a "tourist" (not many here). I've also lived in Japan for a number of years - now THAT is a difficult place to live. I'm glad I lived in Japan first, Thailand second. I appreciate things a lot more.

Edited by TingTawng

People get frustrated, it's natural.

Also some people would rather be in their home country but they choose to sacrifice that to be with the person they love.

That's why I'm here. Although I do have Thai friends and see where the Thai point of view is coming from sometimes I still get frustrated because I don't like being looked at as if my opinion doesn't matter because I'm not Thai.

My opinion of being here goes back and forth.

Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. This seemed to be the case in other places I've lived too. I loved NYC but I hated working all the time for long hours.

I don't know why this is so hard for some people to understand and they need to start threads constantly stating "If you don't like it here, THEN LEAVE!" etc...

It is like others have said frustration.

I live in a condo with my wife, attend all the meetings, and vote for new rules, I start living by these new rules but others don't, I have spoken to the Juristic person many times about this, but no answer, so I get frustrated.

The other thing that most "Farangs" hate is the word "Farang" it is not very polite, In Germany they use the word "Auslaender" for someone who does not come from that country, again it is racist, but people will never change unless you educate them, and we all know how good the education system in Thailand is!!!!!!!!!

There's nothing like a good whine... and that's all it is much of the time. The rest of the time... racism pure and simple; you notice how this kind of poster always generalises, "Thais this" and "Thais that". What this implies is that they don't actually know many Thais on any kind of personal level.

I agree. There's nothing wrong with a little "whine" now and again. But as you say, the rest really is vile racism. These posters know who they are. And it's always amazing how a thread starts out like "Why do Thai women...." And the guy in question bases his opinion on one woman--his freakin wife or GF. It's classic racist sentiment and goes on all the time.

Depression.

Take somebody from London for example. They meet a wonderful girl in an amazing country where everybody smiles non stop. There is a long honey moon period where the tourist travels back and forth, up country Thailand and down town London, its a perfect life.

He then decides to quit job sell the apt and move to some obscure town/village and builds a house. Now he is stuck without the network of mates and family. People stop using his name and refer to him as 'farang". His young wife wont work and is glued to the Thai television, so he takes refuge in the top floor of the house on the interenet were he looks to connect with other farang on Thai Visa and realizes he is not alone :D

end of story

The other thing that most "Farangs" hate is the word "Farang" it is not very polite, In Germany they use the word "Auslaender" for someone who does not come from that country, again it is racist, but people will never change unless you educate them, and we all know how good the education system in Thailand is!

I can't compare "farang" to "auslander" - there are different connotations to these words. "farang" is so ubiquitously used, I just see it as "westerner". It's about intent isn't it? I think if there's evil intent when someone uses the word "farang", then fair enough - that's not good. But if they're just describing a bunch of people walking down Khao San Road, it's just a neutral description.

Buying on impulse. You thought that the Hyundai Scoupe was the end all of automobiles so you signed the papers and built a fancy new garage to house it. And then the next day, you noticed that the dealerships with real cars was a few streets over. Oh, and you start to pick up that most of the locals are also now perpetually laughing at you (at least you think so).

:)

That's it basically, why do so many posters here slag Thailand and Thai people off, whilst living in Thailand and having a Thai partner by choice ?

It could be lots of things, anger, frustration, etc, whatever. I would ask you, why do you care and will the answer set you free?

No I don't think the OP need answer he just annoyed. I personally think many Thai live in the US or the UK have a lot of complaints about their host country as well.

The vast majority of humans find complaining to be normal conversation. The usual targets are stupidity, disrespect, inconvenience, wastefulness, and opposing political/religious worldviews.

All of this is easy to find here. it shouldn't surprise anyone to hear people complain, especially on the internet.

Every country is full of flaws and people enjoy pointing them out. In a country like Thailand, it is so easy to spot error that the long timers gave up commenting ages ago.

Edited by canuckamuck

Because some people are seeking their Utopia and become greatly disappointed when they discover it doesn’t exist.

And many have never heard of the song; Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag and Smile, Smile, Smile. Whatever gripes and miseries these people had at home, they intend to import over with them, and then continue on their long and sufferings over here.

They are not happy unless they are miserable. This does not apply to the Brits, because it`s our right to whinge, moan and complain.

post-110219-0-47239600-1320725975_thumb.

Look, the word Farang is not an insult, there is a Thai saying, if you say to someone that he/she look like farang, it is a compliment. It means you have nice skin and tall and good looking. Is that an insult to you? The word farang dosn't mean you are an alien. It's like being called Asian in your homeland! (You are right about Thai never follow any rules though)

It is like others have said frustration.

I live in a condo with my wife, attend all the meetings, and vote for new rules, I start living by these new rules but others don't, I have spoken to the Juristic person many times about this, but no answer, so I get frustrated.

The other thing that most "Farangs" hate is the word "Farang" it is not very polite, In Germany they use the word "Auslaender" for someone who does not come from that country, again it is racist, but people will never change unless you educate them, and we all know how good the education system in Thailand is!!!!!!!!!

Because some people are seeking their Utopia and become greatly disappointed when they discover it doesn’t exist.

And many have never heard of the song; Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag and Smile, Smile, Smile. Whatever gripes and miseries these people had at home, they intend to import over with them, and then continue on their long and sufferings over here.

They are not happy unless they are miserable.

People come with too high of expectations, yes, and many people bring their own baggage with them - we all do - both the good and bad baggage. Sadly, some people carry a lot of negative baggage with them.

Look, the word Farang is not an insult, there is a Thai saying, if you say to someone that he/she look like farang, it is a compliment. It means you have nice skin and tall and good looking. Is that an insult to you? The word farang dosn't mean you are an alien. It's like being called Asian in your homeland! (You are right about Thai never follow any rules though)

Agree. Farang is often more of a compliment than a slur. Look at "mia farang" - more often than not it's a backhanded compliment.

Yeah unfortunately "mia farang" is not a compliment at all! :D

Agree. Farang is often more of a compliment than a slur. Look at "mia farang" - more often than not it's a backhanded compliment.

<deleted> to all this namby-pamby political (so-called)correctness!

i live here and i have done for many, many years and i will continue to do so, but let's get real - as well as it's charms, and the charms of it's people(particularly on an individual basis), i think there is a lot to dislike about thailand and the thais(particularly en masse - as a herd).

there, i've said it.

so, apologists, counter-haters, starry-eyed newbies, rose-tinted anti-cynics, and all the other fantasy merchants out there - go ahead, rip me a a new one! do your worst!

Edited by GooEng