Why The Hate

Banzai99

<deleted> to all this namby-pamby political (so-called)correctness!

i live here and i have done for many, many years and i will continue to do so, but let's get real - as well as it's charms, and the charms of it's people(particularly on an individual basis), i think there is a lot to dislike about thailand and the thais(particularly en masse - as a herd).

there, i've said it.

so, apologists, counter-haters, starry-eyed newbies, rose-tinted anti-cynics, and all the other fantasy merchants out there - go ahead, rip me a a new one! do your worst!

But you need to learn that its nothing to do with life here, its because you have some un-defined general problem.

Clearly life here is perfect and anybody that dare make any criticism does not know what they are talking about.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah unfortunately "mia farang" is not a compliment at all! :D

Agree. Farang is often more of a compliment than a slur. Look at "mia farang" - more often than not it's a backhanded compliment.

Have to agree with ARISTIDE, cant wait for the comments on such phrases as, farang kee nok or farang khao san.

Why doesn't the OP know the difference between "hate" and "complain"?

Agree. Farang is often more of a compliment than a slur. Look at "mia farang" - more often than not it's a backhanded compliment.

My gf uses "mia farang" as a euphemism for prostitute. It's certainly not a compliment.

"Mia" itself is a common lo-so word for unmarried female partner. Pan-ra-ya or pal-la-ya is the correct word for wife.

Edited by ludditeman

Not all Thais are the same, some can think for themselves many are uneducated and plain stupid. I dont live in a country for "its people" I live in a country for the countryside, people are the biggest pain in the backside anywhere Id rather be well away from any of them.

i live here and i have done for many, many years and i will continue to do so, but let's get real - as well as it's charms, and the charms of it's people(particularly on an individual basis), i think there is a lot to dislike about thailand and the thais(particularly en masse - as a herd).

there, i've said it.

so, apologists, counter-haters, starry-eyed newbies, rose-tinted anti-cynics, and all the other fantasy merchants out there - go ahead, rip me a a new one! do your worst!

Well now, let's be real! I like. So in the spirit of political incorrectness, I think it's only fair to give you a counter-point. I think whiney dipsh*ts such as yourself really give farangs a bad name. I mean, who the <deleted> invited you anyways? You barge in here like you own the place, treat the locals with nothing but contempt, expect them to kowtow to every one of your sick whims, and when your ass is not being kissed to the proper specifications, you whine like a spoiled little girl. Well boo f*ckin hoo! If you don't like it here, take yourself and the little peasant winch back to where you slithered from. We don't want your kind!

There, I've said it.

So, whiners, miserable derelicts, the disenfranchised, cynical old-timers, die-hard racist, and all the other Thai-hating whackjobs out there - go ahead, rip me a new one! do your worst!

Disclaimer: Just being satirical and avoiding the dreaded PC language, at the suggestion of one GooEng

there, i've said it.

So what do you expect? It`s the same the world over.

There are many things that irritate me in this life, I could moan all day long about my likes and dislikes. But who wants to hear the continuous rants of moaning old gits.

It seems the older people get, the more they find to complain about. But we just have to plod on with it, because at the end of the day, no one`s interested.

As the wise man says; go and tell it on a mountain.

I saw many people complaining on this forum about corruption, police and different type of scams. When I came to Thailand first time, taxi driver told me to pay 2500 for the trip from Suvarnabhumi to Bangkok hotel. I knew that taxi meter was working wrong but I was tired after almost 34 hours without sleep and did not want to argue. In Russia trip from airport to center of the Moscow will be almost the same, so I paid him. Few minutes later I found some very friendly Thai people who helped me to find hotel. Motorbike driver took only ten THB (I offered him 100). Later I mention that taxi drivers used to do circles to make more money. There were a lot of different events in Thailand with me, but I see that there are much more good and friendly people here rather then bad people. Anyway anything that happened in Thailand is very far from events in Russia.

My level of English is far from perfect but I think this is a good idiom for this: who has never tasted bitter, knows not what is sweet.

Probability that someone will call you '<deleted>' (whatever nationality you are) in Thailand is very small. In Russia it happen sometimes. Maybe it is soviet heritage, when everybody thought that enemies are everywhere, I don't know. I spoke with my English teacher (from UK) who came to live in Russia, he told me that he like to stay here in Russia despite some conditions and events.

How much of the people who complain about Thais know Thai language at least at Intermediate level? Why do people think that any Thai person should talk with them perfect English/Russian/whatever other language?

There are two different options: to complain or to do some action. Some people prefer to complain rather then to learn language/go back to their county/commit suicide. rolleyes.gif

Edited by sb1983

there, i've said it.

So what do you expect? It`s the same the world over.

There are many things that irritate me in this life, I could moan all day long about my likes and dislikes. But who wants to hear the continuous rants of moaning old gits.

It seems the older people get, the more they find to complain about. But we just have to plod on with it, because at the end of the day, no one`s interested.

As the wise man says; go and tell it on a mountain.

No - it is NOT "the same the world over".

The Thais are unique in several ways and many of the issues that consistently crop up are not common to other countries.

"No - it is NOT "the same the world over".

The Thais are unique in several ways and many of the issues that consistently crop up are not common to other countries.

------standing ovation------

The essence of political correctness is to rigidly adhere to the notion that everyone is alike. But in some truly great places where races mix harmoniously, differences are acknowledged and celebrated. I have lived in a culture where everything moved at the speed of light, and coming to Thailand was excruciating at first. Now I can see and appreciate the Thai way of life.

We are NOT all the same.

- @ berk(sic) and beetle - points well made fellas - couldn't agree more.

- @ monkeyface - quite so, we aren't all the same (but we ARE equal) and some of the differences are to be celebrated, others are perfect fodder for idle bitching on expat forums....

- i like to be even handed in my misanthropic and jaded views of the places i live and work in - but i confess can't! i'm only mildly exasperated and generally bemused by the muddle that life in thailand is at all levels, no real venom or spite for the place. but ask me what i don't like about the united kingdom of greedy bastards that i left behind to come here all those years ago, or saudi arabia where i work offshore to earn a crust.... well, just don't get me started!!

I saw many people complaining on this forum about corruption, police and different type of scams. When I came to Thailand first time, taxi driver told me to pay 2500 for the trip from Suvarnabhumi to Bangkok hotel. I knew that taxi meter was working wrong but I was tired after almost 34 hours without sleep and did not want to argue. In Russia trip from airport to center of the Moscow will be almost the same, so I paid him. Few minutes later I found some very friendly Thai people who helped me to find hotel. Motorbike driver took only ten THB (I offered him 100). Later I mention that taxi drivers used to do circles to make more money. There were a lot of different events in Thailand with me, but I see that there are much more good and friendly people here rather then bad people. Anyway anything that happened in Thailand is very far from events in Russia.

My level of English is far from perfect but I think this is a good idiom for this: who has never tasted bitter, knows not what is sweet.

Probability that someone will call you '<deleted>' (whatever nationality you are) in Thailand is very small. In Russia it happen sometimes. Maybe it is soviet heritage, when everybody thought that enemies are everywhere, I don't know. I spoke with my English teacher (from UK) who came to live in Russia, he told me that he like to stay here in Russia despite some conditions and events.

How much of the people who complain about Thais know Thai language at least at Intermediate level? Why do people think that any Thai person should talk with them perfect English/Russian/whatever other language?

There are two different options: to complain or to do some action. Some people prefer to complain rather then to learn language/go back to their county/commit suicide. rolleyes.gif

sb - unfortunately you will find in general in thailand that the expats who do not speak or understand any thai or understand very little, are the ones most likely to have a very positive view of the place. if you can understand thai and understand what is being said by the thais around you it tends to change ideas about the thai attitude somewhat.

i don't think you will find one westerner in the forum here who understands and speaks thai to a decent level who will disagree with that.

Edited by GooEng

I guess I can see why Thais in general wouldn't be very happy about seeing so many beautiful and young (relatively anyway) Thai women being married to old, overweight "falongs".

I doubt most foreigners would be too happy about their sisters, daughters, and ex-wives being caught up in the same situation in their own home countries.

It's bound to create some resentment.

Also, in any country there is always some resentment between the "haves" and the "have nots". In Thailand, most "falongs" are financially better off than the average Thai.

Still, I find many Thais very gracious and polite, provided you are aware of their traditions and customs and respect them.

And lastly, I think the attitude of the "falongs" toward Thais and Thailand is very dependent upon why they are living in Thailand.

If they are just sex-patriates, or on-the-run from justice in their own country, then perhaps they deserve to be treated badly by most Thais.

If they have close connections with Thais (both family and friends), respect the traditions, and religions of the Thai people, and are generally law-abiding citizens, then I would think their overall attitude might be better.

Believe it or not, the average Thai citizen does not necessarily like the corruption of Thai officials, but they accept it and pay their bribes just like the "falongs"

Maybe someday this will change. Let's hope so.

RickThai

I guess I can see why Thais in general wouldn't be very happy about seeing so many beautiful and young (relatively anyway) Thai women being married to old, overweight "falongs".

I doubt most foreigners would be too happy about their sisters, daughters, and ex-wives being caught up in the same situation in their own home countries.

Sorry Rick, but the Thai girls that "falangs" marry/date are not desired by Thai guys at all.

Thai guys don't want girls with dark skin, Thai guys don't want girls with children, Thai guys don't want girls older than 25, Thai guys don't marry prostitutes.

There is no resentment in the equation. We get the dregs that no Thai guy would dream of touching.

Edited by ludditeman

Sorry Rick, but the Thai girls that "falangs" marry/date are not desired by Thai guys at all.

Thai guys don't want girls with dark skin, Thai guys don't want girls with children, Thai guys don't want girls older than 25, Thai guys don't marry prostitutes.

There is no resentment in the equation. We get the dregs that no Thai guy would dream of touching.

Probably closer to the truth than may on here would care to admit to themselves.

Those married to Chinese Hi So white skinned , Thammasat or Chulalongkorn educated wifes need not bother to reply.

Probably closer to the truth than may on here would care to admit to themselves.

Those married to Chinese Hi So white skinned , Thammasat or Chulalongkorn educated wifes need not bother to reply.

it also has to be said that why anyone should concern themselves about resentment felt by amongst thais about the women they are willingly selling being bought is questionable.....

Edited by GooEng

Why the hate?

That was one of the first things I noticed when moving to Thailand. All farangs always looking down on Thais and Thai Society.

A large number of these farangs gather here at thaivisa and post sarcastic comments about thai society and thai people.

I have also, like you, asked the same question.

Another thing I often wondered about is:

If thais only knew how most (probably 98%) farangs were looking down on them, would they still be happy and smile all the time?

What if more and more thai people were starting to read thaivisa forum, and finding out, almost all threads containing negative comments about thai people and their society, what would happen?

Why the hate?

That was one of the first things I noticed when moving to Thailand. All farangs always looking down on Thais and Thai Society.

A large number of these farangs gather here at thaivisa and post sarcastic comments about thai society and thai people.

I have also, like you, asked the same question.

Another thing I often wondered about is:

If thais only knew how most (probably 98%) farangs were looking down on them, would they still be happy and smile all the time?

What if more and more thai people were starting to read thaivisa forum, and finding out, almost all threads containing negative comments about thai people and their society, what would happen?

nothing would happen, you will find that the average thai is just as scathing about themselves and thailand as many of the posters in here, in the same way that the average poster in here is just as scathing about their own country and countrymen.

furthermore thais see what we call racism as acceptable. they are racist about ethnicities within thailand - dark skinned, isaan features are widely detested, mocked and discriminated against. they are also racist to people from outside thailand - they fear negros, dislike arabs and other middle eastern peoples and on the whole view westerners with some sort of grudging respect - although that is changing..... they may be indignant about it (to save face), but few thais would be surprised to find foreigners having unflattering ideas about them, or indeed downright prejudiced views.

So let me get this straight.

You actually think most Thais are mostly happy?

You actually think a smile from a Thai stranger usually actually means they like you?

OMG. Are you a tourist?

My personal opinion, even before the flood, Bangkok Thais (the masses) for the most part some of the most miserable people on earth.

Edited by Jingthing

My personal opinion, even before the flood, Bangkok Thais (the masses) for the most part some of the most miserable people on earth.

LOL, and still, you live here? biggrin.gif Gotta love Thaivisa

Edited by metisdead
Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes.

LOL, and still, you live here? biggrin.gif Gotta love Thaivisa

I am pretty sure he means they find life in the big mango miserable, not that they are miserable to be around. Also Jing doesn't live in BKK he lives with the happy people in Pattaya

It's a weird world. Let me compare ex-pats in Japan and Thailand.

In Japan, ex-pats tend to defend Japan to the hilt. They'll say things like "yeah I know I work 12 hours a day, and commute 2 hours to work, 2 hours back, yeah I know my wife is uncommunicative because we all live these rigid roles, yeah I know there's no real green spaces in Tokyo, nor do I have the time to even visit those little pockets of greenery anyway, yeah I know Japan is a protocol-driven straight-jacket society, but I'm err...getting used to it...give me another 10 years and I'll be fully assimilated". There's this kind of no-matter-what-I'm-going-to-like-it-even-if-I-hate-it attitude. I think they go over-board trying to defend a country that puts people under a lot of real pressure.

In Thailand, it's almost the opposite with ex-pats. Despite living in a huge and varied country to explore and live in - ex-pats tend to congregate in "trouble spots" like Sukhumvit Rd, Pattaya, Patong where they get ripped off, and complain about it. Even if they don't get ripped off, they absorb the palpable nasty attitudes a fair number of people display in these areas, and consider that such areas must be a microcosm of Thailand itself. Their cynicism can only be explained by the company they keep, and where they live. How many ex-pats in Thailand live outside of these areas? Those that do then often complain about feeling isolated. This is a country where a LOT is possible for the average ex-pat. It's one of the few countries on this planet that has a relatively high standard of living while allowing an ex-pat with some savings to retire here (those that complain about costs, get out of Pattaya, Patong etc). It seems a lot of ex-pats in Thailand are like those ex-pats in Spain that read English newspapers, hang around fellow-countrymen most of the time, watch English telly etc. They're not REALLY living in their host country.

Edited by TingTawng

I It seems a lot of ex-pats in Thailand are like those ex-pats in Spain that read English newspapers, hang around fellow-countrymen most of the time, watch English telly etc. They're not REALLY living in their host country.

This is normal. Since the begginig of mankind , people like to be around people like themselves

eg black with blacks , whites with whites, its the reason why people join clubs etc.

Its when the contraterian attempts to cut these ties that they get in trouble. They decide they will become Thai and disappear to the outskirts of bangkok and proclaim there happiness on TV where they yearn for expat companionship, a bit ironic eh?

THere's a difference between "hate" and criticism.

Many posters - especially the "Why-don't-you-go-home-then?" brigade fault to appreciate this.

However it has to be said that Thailand is a haven for those sort of Western men of limited education who have spent most of their lives working in all (white) male environments (oil, shipping etc.) and have developed (if that's the right word) grossly distorted behavioural patterns and views of the world.

Incapable of forming normal relationships they flood to Thailand where their "wealth" enables them to buy the things that were denied them by their own society which shuns their "type".

Here they can live out a fantasy that is essentially misogynistic and racist in nature and panders to their over simplistic untutored view of the world.

Incapable of forming normal relationships they flood to Thailand where their "wealth" enables them to buy the things that were denied them by their own society which shuns their "type".

Here they can live out a fantasy that is essentially misogynistic and racist in nature and panders to their over simplistic untutored view of the world.

Is a normal relationship one where the woman gets to asset strip the man after producing a kid or two?

If so, most of us older males have had normal relationships.

And the younger men are merely waiting for their relationships to become 'normal'

I admit to no longer considering white skinned people as sexual partners, if that makes me a racist, so be it.

Edited by ludditeman