Bt5,000 Compensation For Each Flood-Affected Household

webfact

Bt10 bn earmarked for flood-hit households

The Nation

The government will allocate more than Bt10 billion to compensate some 2 million households nationwide affected by the flooding, Federation of Thai Industries president Payungsak Chartsutthipol said yesterday.

The affected households would get about Bt5,000 each, Payungsak said after a meeting with the government's rehabilitation committee chaired by Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong.

The Interior Ministry would register flood-affected people and begin distributing the compensation within two weeks, he said.

Major flooding began to hit the Central region of the country a few months ago, before reaching Bangkok and its suburbs in early October. Millions of households as well as many industrial estates and business centres have been heavily damaged.

The committee also agreed to allocate some Bt100 million to rehabilitate industrial estates in Ayutthaya and Pathum Thani provinces.

Of that amount, Bt50 million would be spent on construction of temporary housing for swamped businesses, Bt22 million to contain industrial waste, Bt15 million on treatment of contaminated water and Bt5 million on water quality control, Payungsak said.

Kittiratt is scheduled to propose the package to the Cabinet for approval today(Nov 8). Meanwhile, the Senate expected to receive donations of more than Bt36 million from the public to contribute to flood-affected people, according to Senate speaker Theeradej Meepian.

The Senate secretary's office has already received nearly Bt30 million in donations, he said.

The Senate's committee for flood relief would distribute cash and necessary items to inundated areas in 32 provinces through their senators, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-08

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just the way the politicians look at the people, an absolute insult to the people. 5000baht will buy sweet nothing, P.T.P. democracy and the empowering of the people is indeed a wonderful myth

I have some questions and a comment...

Comment is... 5,000 certainly isn't very much. It isn't enough. As one poster said, it will buy a hollow front door; another said, a couple pairs of boots.

My questions are...

If this is the number, 5,000/ household and that's it, all that anyone gets, 10 billion total. Let's also assume that every household does actually get the 5,000 and some politician doesn't get any of it (I know, a big assumption but I'm just cynical).

What will people actually do with that money?

Will they throw it in the flood water in their house because it just isn't enough?

Will they use it for toilet paper?

Will they save it in their soggy mattress until someone comes and gives them more?

Will they burn it in protest?

I'm just wondering, what will they do with it? Any ideas out there?

What happened to be patient and you will be compensated? Her rubber boots cost more than that! For the people, yeah, right.annoyed.gif

This is hilarious, 55555555555 Ha Ha. 5,000 bht+ 300 bht a day+ tablet+ uni money+ you will all be rich in 6 months, (this 5thou is part payment for you'll be rich promise) We love the people==we take care the poor people= now where are the posters in denial--come on defend this complete insult to Thai people, I want to see the percentage of the (Gov-family) supporters on this thread--EMBARRASSING ..........

Not meaning to be glib, but does this include the PM for example. She has a "flood effected" household.

What is the point in distributing this to billionaires and paupers alike.

So far, we are still so far from the end of this mess, that she hasn't even started to talk about the days after the flood. Where are the "we will rebuild the country and your towns and villages" speeches.

I honestly believe this lack of vision is contributing to the despair of the people north of the flood barriers. They don't even believe that their living environment will be returned to what it was before, let alone put back in better working order. It isn't enough to say, we will get the industrial estates back up and running. Hospitals, schools and roads will have been effectively destroyed, but what is the plan? Dry them out and keep going?

Now that would fill me with a lot of hope and joy.

5,000 baht obviously isn't enough to compensate for the damage, but it is the standard pay out for flood victims for previous governments.

I know it's harsh, but, why should they get anything?

It's a taxpayer hand out that just means there is less money to spend on other things that the government should be spending money on ... ie proper cleaning after the floods, repairing roads, better flood protection, better public transport.

Do these people do anything for themselves to give them protection from floods? Insurance? Plans to protect their belongings?

Edited by whybother

5,000 baht obviously isn't enough to compensate for the damage, but it is the standard pay out for flood victims for previous governments.

It's a taxpayer hand out that just means there is less money to spend on other things that the government should be spending money on ... ie proper cleaning after the floods, repairing roads, better flood protection, better public transport.

Do these people do anything for themselves to give them protection from floods? Insurance? Plans to protect their belongings?

I am for giving the people who are flooded by closes sluice gates more. At the expense of BKK budget of course. That does not mean me but for people being told to be patient and sacrifice more i would expect extra money. Just like when a government buys up land to make a road. Compensate the ones you intentionally flooded.

whybother # 16

When the average Thai is plodding along on 10-12,000 baht a month , insurance is a luxury they can't afford. Plus the fact is that the insurance companies are in the main not interested in the '' little people.''

One is led to wonder just how often you actually mix with the average Thai or even have any comprehension of life in general from the ordinary peoples. perspectives ?.

Just the way the politicians look at the people, an absolute insult to the people. 5000baht will buy sweet nothing, P.T.P. democracy and the empowering of the people is indeed a wonderful myth

they only have 100B to divide, as one of these politician would say 5000 for Oow 5000 for me, 5000 to lee 5000 for me etc. etc.

I have some questions and a comment...

Comment is... 5,000 certainly isn't very much. It isn't enough. As one poster said, it will buy a hollow front door; another said, a couple pairs of boots.

My questions are...

If this is the number, 5,000/ household and that's it, all that anyone gets, 10 billion total. Let's also assume that every household does actually get the 5,000 and some politician doesn't get any of it (I know, a big assumption but I'm just cynical).

What will people actually do with that money?

Will they throw it in the flood water in their house because it just isn't enough?

Will they use it for toilet paper?

Will they save it in their soggy mattress until someone comes and gives them more?

Will they burn it in protest?

I'm just wondering, what will they do with it? Any ideas out there?

Can buy 100 sandbags to protect their houses for next year - cos NOTHING will be done about it..!

Not meaning to be glib, but does this include the PM for example. She has a "flood effected" household.

She would, however, as someone "less needy" only be eligible for the 300 baht bag of emergency food supplies and not the 800 baht bag of emergency food supplies.

The Bt800 relief bag was for those facing severe flooding and it includes more expensive ready-to-eat supplies such as canned rice and food, while there were other bags priced at Bt500, as well as Bt300 for less-needy people.

10 billion baht for the people. 100 billion baht for businesses.

You are forgetting this is a party for the elite. Commoners need not apply.

Good old nation.

100 billion not 100 million.

It may be a joke what they are doing compared to what they re doing for businesses but why did it take them so long to recognize that real live breathing people were being hurt?

They would do better to target money to people who could not afford insurance for their houses. Those who have insurance or who could afford it but didnt bother could be excepted. It is those that really lack the ability to get back who need the money and more than 5000 baht. The wealthy need nothing and the middle classes should be insured although there is a horrible tendency to think why should I waste money on insurance among that class

She would, however, as someone "less needy" only be eligible for the 300 baht bag of emergency food supplies and not the 800 baht bag of emergency food supplies.

The Bt800 relief bag was for those facing severe flooding and it includes more expensive ready-to-eat supplies such as canned rice and food, while there were other bags priced at Bt500, as well as Bt300 for less-needy people.

Wouldn't valued at read so much better than priced at and valuable sound better than expensive. I notice that so many of these bags themselves are thick cloth so no one can see what is inside when filmed on TV. It just looks so full of subterfuge.

But as I said, I wonder if she is eligible for the 5,000 baht?

They would do better to target money to people who could not afford insurance for their houses. Those who have insurance or who could afford it but didnt bother could be excepted. It is those that really lack the ability to get back who need the money and more than 5000 baht. The wealthy need nothing and the middle classes should be insured although there is a horrible tendency to think why should I waste money on insurance among that class

Insurance against flooding is almost impossible to get most natural disasters are always excluded. I have been flooded for a few weeks. I think i have damages in the area of 40k. I can handle it, could have been much more if i had left the house, now i was able to respond to changing situations.

whybother # 16

When the average Thai is plodding along on 10-12,000 baht a month , insurance is a luxury they can't afford. Plus the fact is that the insurance companies are in the main not interested in the '' little people.''

One is led to wonder just how often you actually mix with the average Thai or even have any comprehension of life in general from the ordinary peoples. perspectives ?.

I mix with them enough, and realise that many can't afford insurance, but I also mix with some that can afford it and still don't get it.

But there is more to it than just insurance. Many people just don't plan.

Wouldn't valued at read so much better than priced at and valuable sound better than expensive. I notice that so many of these bags themselves are thick cloth so no one can see what is inside when filmed on TV. It just looks so full of subterfuge.

But as I said, I wonder if she is eligible for the 5,000 baht?

Similar to the 800 Billion Baht slotted by the government for the New Thailand Project, but which has yet to be actually studied by the government, I would imagine the 10 Billion Baht cash handout project hasn't actually determined what the eligibility criteria are, if any.

It will only go to 2,000,000 homes I believe there is a lot more than that affected by the floods.

As for why give it to them.

I would suggest it is a partial payment for the work that should have been done to stop the flood and was not done.

Proper water management and maintenance would have considerably lessened the damage.

Using the same argument why should they give business ny thing they could use it for "proper cleaning after the floods, repairing roads, better flood protection, better public transport"

You are using western thinking on the people and allowing for big business to rely on the government. "Do these people businesses do anything for themselves to give them protection from floods? Insurance? Plans to protect their belongings?"

Insurance against flooding is almost impossible to get most natural disasters are always excluded.

Yes, but this is NOT a natural disaster. It is a man-made one, caused by stupidity and incompetency of those in charge.

PS: only my nice wooden stairs from 1st to 2nd floor cost me around 100K THB. Now it needs to be completely changed. Will someone change that for 5K THB? Please send your offers via PM. :bah:

Edited by alexakap

<snip>

You are using western thinking on the people and allowing for big business to rely on the government. "Do these people businesses do anything for themselves to give them protection from floods? Insurance? Plans to protect their belongings?"

Although I haven't said businesses should get anything, one reason to assist them is because they provide jobs. The sooner they are going, the sooner people are getting paid.

Ofcourse, there are plenty of reasons why businesses should look after themselves too.