Public Unsatisfied With PM's Performance: Bangkok Poll

webfact

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In other words: both are pretty much alike, when it comes to public acceptance!

Who would have guessed?!

I would have guessed that the person who "won in a landslide" but a few short months ago would have had at least double the acceptance.... not less.

Tricky isn't when polls don't support one's prejudices and one is reduced to weak platitudes.Conventional wisdom is that support for the government has plummeted but this poll doesn't show that.Never mind I'm sure there will be polls aplenty over time to support every position.

Unlike this one, then.

:rolleyes:

Huh? Thought I had said more than was needed!

You initiated the discussion on this thread without any one addressing you, for which there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's just that your saying that you try to respond to posts addressed to you is inconsistent with your involvement on this thread as well as your posting history. You initiate and then respond.

Edited by Buchholz

You initiated the discussion on this thread without any one addressing you, for which there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's just that your saying that you try to respond to posts addressed to you is inconsistent with your involvement on this thread as well as your posting history. You initiate and then respond.

Classic.If you didn't so predictably and pointlessly insist on the last word people wouldn't speculate on your identity so much.

Classic.If you didn't so predictably and pointlessly insist on the last word people wouldn't speculate on your identity so much.

Ummm...I think YOU'RE more of a "last word" kind of guy.

Edited by SABloke

When I spoke to the taxi drivers, the people is complaining the Bangkok mayor instead Thai PM.

Someone else on the forum posted a report that was the exact opposite in talking with taxi drivers, who blamed Yingluck.

i talked to my hairdresser and she was very dissatisfied with Yingluk and wished she had nt voted for her I talked to my gardener she said it was dems fault etc etc whistling.gif

<snip>

I am terrible with remember time frames but weren't things pretty calm and going well back in Dec. 2010. The riots were in the past and the election date had been set. Comparing an approval poll back then to now without reminding people it is a RADICALLY unfair comparison is wrong.

<snip>

The riots may have been in the past, but they certainly weren't forgotten. In December last year, the "red shirt bomber" had just blown himself up, the Democrats had just been acquitted on their disbanding charges, and rallies were being held every couple of weeks at Ratchaprasong. Also, it wasn't until about March that Abhisit started talking about a mid-year election.

Classic.

It's because you continually leave your postings with conflicting open ends, such as saying you respond to others, or flip-flopping like earlier... and then attempt to belittle others when they respond to your inconsistencies.

Edited by Buchholz

<snip>

I am terrible with remember time frames but weren't things pretty calm and going well back in Dec. 2010. The riots were in the past and the election date had been set. Comparing an approval poll back then to now without reminding people it is a RADICALLY unfair comparison is wrong.

<snip>

The riots may have been in the past, but they certainly weren't forgotten. In December last year, the "red shirt bomber" had just blown himself up, the Democrats had just been acquitted on their disbanding charges, and rallies were being held every couple of weeks at Ratchaprasong. Also, it wasn't until about March that Abhisit started talking about a mid-year election.

Get over it ... the bottom line is what was going on at the end of 2010 (Dec. 25th and 26th when the poll was taken) is NOTHING compared to what IS going on now and the last few months. Yet they government now and the PM have statistically scored the same. Although, I wished Abhisit would have been the favorite in the election, this clearly would appear to be good news for the country and I would expect her approval polls will go up considerably once this crisis is over.

But I guess it is easy for some to see clouds in every silver lining.

<snip>

<snip>

PS. Actually Abhisit had publicly speculated in 2010 that elections would be held in the first part of 2011 and had actually offered to hold them before the end of 2010 earlier in the year. Of course we know now that neither of these things actually happened. Again, I am an Abhisit supporter but I don't need to slant or mislead to believe this to be the case nor do I need to act as if he has no faults or is not a politician like the rest of them.

Classic.

It's because you continually leave your postings with conflicting open ends, such as saying you respond to others, or flip-flopping like earlier... and then attempt to belittle others when they respond to your inconsistencies.

Jayboy dear chap, you really must stop teasing our teutonic baseball fan!

<snip>

<snip>

Get over it ... the bottom line is what was going on at the end of 2010 (Dec. 25th and 26th when the poll was taken) is NOTHING compared to what IS going on now and the last few months. Yet they government now and the PM have statistically scored the same. Although, I wished Abhisit would have been the favorite in the election, this clearly would appear to be good news for the country and I would expect her approval polls will go up considerably once this crisis is over.

But I guess it is easy for some to see clouds in every silver lining.

PS. Actually Abhisit had publicly speculated in 2010 that elections would be held in the first part of 2011 and had actually offered to hold them before the end of 2010 earlier in the year. Of course we know now that neither of these things actually happened. Again, I am an Abhisit supporter but I don't need to slant or mislead to believe this to be the case nor do I need to act as if he has no faults or is not a politician like the rest of them.

Sorry I missed where it said that the previous poll was taken on 25th and 26th December. Where was that stated?

You suggested two reasons why Abhisit's popularity would have been high. Yes, the riots were over, but the red shirts were still protesting and lots of people were still upset with the way he had handled things. It's irrelevant that elections had been offered earlier in the year, because the offer was also withdrawn. Abhisit had always said he would have early elections, but in December, there was still no date set, and there was still no idea as to whether "early" meant that it would be March 2011 or September 2011.

Also, Thailand had just been through "the worst floods in 50 years" in the previous month.

So maybe you need to think of some other reasons why Abhisit's popularity would have been high at that stage.

Sorry I missed where it said that the previous poll was taken on 25th and 26th December. Where was that stated?

You suggested two reasons why Abhisit's popularity would have been high. Yes, the riots were over, but the red shirts were still protesting and lots of people were still upset with the way he had handled things. It's irrelevant that elections had been offered earlier in the year, because the offer was also withdrawn. Abhisit had always said he would have early elections, but in December, there was still no date set, and there was still no idea as to whether "early" meant that it would be March 2011 or September 2011.

Also, Thailand had just been through "the worst floods in 50 years" in the previous month.

So maybe you need to think of some other reasons why Abhisit's popularity would have been high at that stage.

The poll was taken the 25th and 26th according to the Bangkok Post who published the results.

I never suggested Abhisit's numbers were high .. never even remotely came close to saying any such thing. I did indicate it would be absurd to believe Yinglucks numbers wouldn't have been effected negatively given this HUGE crisis. Clearly no person with any level of intelligence would say otherwise unless they are just delusional or incredibly & dishonestly biased because of their hatred or love of one party.

By the way if you consider Abhisit as having a high rating on Christmas (literally) of last year then you also believe Yingluck's numbers to be high given there was less an a 2/10th of a percent difference between her current overall approval rating during this incredible crisis and 3-months into her term over the Abhisit poll taken at Christmas less than a year ago.

"When comparing her scores with former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's scores in December 2010, Yingluck scored a little lower by an average of 0.19 percent.
"

Given even a well done scientific poll, this would fall well within the margin of error and indicate a tie statistically. I don't like Yingluck but this is good news for Thailand that given the pain and suffering Thailand is enduring and all the political finger pointing and criticism she is getting from the opposition for what amounts to an uncontrollable natural disaster and/or past governments bad flood planning. If these numbers are to be believed then it is a clear indication the country is finally starting to begin being less divided.

Edited by Nisa

When I spoke to the taxi drivers, the people is complaining the Bangkok mayor instead Thai PM.

Taxi drivers are an important base of the red shirt movement. Think -- groupthink.

And the negative comments from the same old group is more groupthink.

I don't think that the poll carries much weight, even if it shows a surpisingly strong base of support for the government. It's so strong, that I it goes against human nature.

Note the key line; With regards to Yingluck's management in dealing with the floods, 55.8 percent of the respondents believe in Yingluck's flood rehabilitation measures whereas 44.2 percent do not.

The PTP garnered 48% of the national vote in the election. PTP received less than this in the BMA. As such it seems to me that the government's support is holding firm if not growing.

Very odd result as it goes against the angry farang sentiments expressed in TVF. :lol:

I can't think why the public is disatisfied with her performance. She's done an outstanding job. It was amazing how she managed to pull all the governmental stake-holders together and have them work out a common strategy for dealing with the flood as it slowly advanced week by week. Her decisive action when dykes were threatened or pumps were needed was an inspiration to all. As was the way she ensured that supplies were gathered and distributed to those most in need. Who can forget the way she leapt into a speed boat to personally lead her beloved “relief caravans” that distributed literally dozens of water bottles to the needy masses and thirsty press corps. And I was particularly impressed with the way the price of water and basic food staples was stabilized to ensure that flood victims weren’t price gouged in their hour of need.

Millions breathlessly monitored the hourly updates from her office and marveled at the accurate, rational assessments of the situation. And we were all relieved she was able to clamp down on ministers and department heads when they began issuing their own contradictory, panic stricken reports. Finally her calm, poise and obvious strength under pressure was solid as a rock – it let us know that someone was in charge of the situation and thus gave confidence to millions of worried people.

From the moment her government decided override the so called ‘experts’ and not release controlled amounts of dam water mid-way through the unusually heavy monsoons, to the final waves of liquid effluent glacially rolling through the provinces on its way to the capital some two months later, this was a textbook example of how to manage a disaster. The nation was indeed fortunate to have elected such a competent and experienced Prime Minister

Taxi drivers are an important base of the red shirt movement. Think -- groupthink.

I don't think that the poll carries much weight, even if it shows a surpisingly strong base of support for the government. It's so strong, that I it goes against human nature.

Note the key line; With regards to Yingluck's management in dealing with the floods, 55.8 percent of the respondents believe in Yingluck's flood rehabilitation measures whereas 44.2 percent do not.

The PTP garnered 48% of the national vote in the election. PTP received less than this in the BMA. As such it seems to me that the government's support is holding firm if not growing.

Very odd result as it goes against the angry farang sentiments expressed in TVF. :lol:

Agree but the sad part is we really have no idea how accurate this poll is. But if her base is not leaving her and possibly growing during all this then it is a good thing for Thailand. I think the women has no business running a country but I really prefer to see Thais accept the election results and work together for the betterment of the country unlike posters here who are incapable of getting beyond the election results.

She may not be qualified to run a country but few leaders are when first elected and they have many many advisers to listen to as well as having the people to answer to. Regardless of having a liberal or conservative leader, few things every really change dramatically because of what main line party has power ... its all just a big game as to whose votes the politicians think they can get by catering to the different groups needs.

Thaksin may have been a selfish criminal, who had thousands murdered and in it for his own self gain but even he didn't tank the country. It is all the same sh@t regardless of which party is at the wheel. The real problem we have had with Thailand over the last many years is the strong and very ugly division within the country and if that can go away then things are moving in the right direction and people will be able to think more logically next election and over issues since it is not simply about blind dedication to your party or hatred of the other.

Edited by Nisa

Agree but the sad part is we really have no idea how accurate this poll is. But if her base is not leaving her and possibly growing during all this then it is a good thing for Thailand. I think the women has no business running a country but I really prefer to see Thais accept the election results and work together for the betterment of the country unlike posters here who are incapable of getting beyond the election results.

She may not be qualified to run a country but few leaders are when first elected and they have many many advisers to listen to as well as having the people to answer to. Regardless of having a liberal or conservative leader, few things every really change dramatically because of what main line party has power ... its all just a big game as to whose votes the politicians think they can get by catering to the different groups needs.

Thaksin may have been a selfish criminal, who had thousands murdered and in it for his own self gain but even he didn't tank the country. It is all the same sh@t regardless of which party is at the wheel. The real problem we have had with Thailand over the last many years is the strong and very ugly division within the country and if that can go away then things are moving in the right direction and people will be able to think more logically next election and over issues since it is not simply about blind dedication to your party or hatred of the other.

"She may not be qualified to run a country but few leaders are when first elected"

Most people elected to run a country have had a few years under their belts dealing with politicians and government bureaucracy, not just a few days.

The only ones that don't seem to be able to get beyond the election results are the ones that keep bringing it up as excuse for not complaining about the current government.

"She may not be qualified to run a country but few leaders are when first elected"

Most people elected to run a country have had a few years under their belts dealing with politicians and government bureaucracy, not just a few days.

The only ones that don't seem to be able to get beyond the election results are the ones that keep bringing it up as excuse for not complaining about the current government.

saai.gifcoffee1.gifviolin.gif

Edit .. by the way we have numerous governors of states (some with larger economies than other countries) in the US who have elected countless people without previous political experience. This includes California with an economy 6 times larger than Thailand who twice elected actors (Reagan & Arnold) to head the state. We have even had Presidents who had never been elected to any other offices previously. In fact, it is often a big plus in political campaigns to be considered a non-politician and/or a business person. My guess is it is not all that different in many other places around the globe.

But feel free to continue your negative doom and gloom posts about this administration any change you get (fair or nor) because you cannot move past the Thai people chose their leaders in an elections and you don't approve.

Edited by Nisa

Someone else on the forum posted a report that was the exact opposite in talking with taxi drivers, who blamed Yingluck.

Mr.B! could you tell us:what your taxi drivers told you?

They told me to read posts carefully.

LOL

It would make sense that Taxi drivers would support Yingluck considering the vast majority of them supported her party in the elections and are die hard Thaksin fans. It doesn't make too much sense they would now be against here and supportive of the Governor now.

LOL

It would make sense that Taxi drivers would support Yingluck considering the vast majority of them supported her party in the elections and are die hard Thaksin fans. It doesn't make too much sense they would now be against here and supportive of the Governor now.

I agree that is a notable change of the typical previous opinion of the taxi drivers, which is why the other poster's experience was memorable.

It would seem that it was positive step that some are beginning to see the Shinawatra dynasty for what it is.

LOL

I agree that is a notable change of the typical previous opinion of the taxi drivers, which is why the other poster's experience was memorable.

It would seem that it was positive step that some are beginning to see the Shinawatra dynasty for what it is.

Are you now resorting to what taxi drivers purportedly told you as facts? Yes, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Are you now resorting to what taxi drivers purportedly told you as facts? Yes, it was bound to happen sooner or later.

Please refer to Post # 51's advice.

:)

Your comments are, however, appropriate to reply to Post # 7. Perhaps you should quote that post and make the same reply.

G'kid: Perhaps you'd like to be more truthful and indicate that 48% included massive vote buying and also mention that the pt 'marketing people' realized well that a very large % of the Thai electorate make their voting decisions based on one off, sometimes very simple, give aways and because of promises to keep pork prices down. At the same time putting no focus whatever on big picture / long-term policies and long-term development.

Edited by scorecard

G'kid: Perhaps you'd like to be more truthful and indicate that 48% included massive vote buying and also mention that the pt 'marketing people' realized well that a very large % of the Thai electorate make their voting decisions based on one off, sometimes very simple, give aways and because of promises to keep pork prices down. At the same time putting no focus whatever on big picture / long-term policies and long-term development.

Do you realize that your argument means that the PTP government would enjoy much greater support than was given in the election? What amount of the PTP vote came from your unsubstantiated allegation of vote buying, assuming it was there, and assuming the opposition parties didn't engage in vote buying. You can fabricate any number you want, 5%10%, 20%, 30%.

Go ahead, exaggerate to your heart's content. The higher your number, the more decisive the 55.8% of support for the government. Look at the poll. Go and read it. And now, no matter what you want to claim the number the pure votes may have been, the government gets 55.8%. This percentage is incredible as it is contrary to what I would expect. Even though the Nation and others have tried to put a negative spin on the results, they are not bad.

I can't wait to see how you and the brigade of doom explain the numbers away.

Guys...I have friends who told me that they were offered money to vote from at least 2 different parties, in some cases even 3 and more. So can we just admit, that EVERY party is practizing this and the "loosers" were just too cheap?!

Edited by DocN