Moving From A Teaching Job To A Different Kind Of Job...

Hello,

I have some questions:

My current situation:

I am a 29 year old Dutch person. I hold a bachelor degree of International Business and Languages from a Dutch university.

I already worked for over a year in Thailand (the Jomtien area), as part of my study International Business. I speak Thai resonably good. Still however, its tearing of since I not use it at the moment in any way.

Furthermore, during my stay I visited other S.E.A. countries such as Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam, but mostly just for a few days (because of the fact that I had a visa that allowed me to stay in Thailand just 90 days).

At the moment, I am working within a multinational company in the Neterlands as a sales coordinator for the United Kingdom, eastern Europe (Poland, Czech Republic) and South(east) Asia (India, Thailand, Malaysia).

My tasks are mainly accepting orders from our customers, booking these orders, keep them informed about the whole process, have the goods finished in time, arrange transport and making documents regarding the goods.

My company has offices in Bangkok, Singapore and Hong Kong. Still however, the possibility to be transfered to one of these offices is small, because of the fact that I not hold a position as account manager (our account managers are mainly people holding a masters degree and/or are nationals i.e. the technical manager from India is a person from India).

My goal:

Relocating back to South East Asia in May 2013 ( I have a contract till April 2013 with the company I work for now).

I am considering to start as a teacher and work my way up to a job in a company that has strong foreign ties or working for a company that wants to sell its products abroad. Furthermore, I am not looking to Thailand only, but am also considering other countries (such as Cambodia and in specific Phnom Phen, and Laos, best bet probably Vientiane). I have not thought about Vietnam yet.

Questions:

Are there some other Thai-Visa members that started working in teaching jobs, and are now opperative in a totally different fields of industry?

Would it be smart to relocate to Thailand (or another S.E.A. country) and look for a job, rather than staying in Europe and apply from here on the different vacancies by using the Internet?

When I just came back, I applied for several jobs in S.E.A. by using the internet, without any luck.

Would my degree be enough to start within a teaching position?

I got hold of a Dutch guy, who is now teaching in Cambodia, without even having a bachelors degree. Still however, I read that in Thailand it is better to hold a certain teaching certificate (TEFL or TESOL).

Regards,

B.D.

Since you have a degree, it is possible to teach in Thailand. You do not need a TEFL, but if you don't have experience, it will help a great deal.

It is not easy to move from the teaching world to the corporate world, but it is possible.

Perhaps other teachers will have more experience with this area.

Hi, I respect your wish to relocate to S.E.Asia and I am impressed that you can speak Thai after a year of studying here, but in answer to your question: Would it be smart to relocate to Thailand (or another S.E.A. country) and look for a job? My answer would be no, the smart thing would be to develop your career as a Sales Coordinator in the Netherlands and visit Thailand on holidays with a view to retire here. Your current company is best placed to advise you whether you could relocate abroad, but you've already worked out that they employ bilingual nationals - why would they pay an expat salary?

Your other question: Would my degree be enough to start within a teaching position? of course yes, work can be found, but sadly some Thai employers are racist in requiring 'native English speakers'. You could find work in a language center, government or bilingual school but unless teaching is your vocation, it would seem to be a waste of your degree! By that I mean it would be more of a rut than a spring-board into some sort of different job - but hey, life is what you make of it. Good luck.

Thanks for the help so far.

@ assiebebe:

When living in a certain place for a certain time, I am very open for picking up the local language.

Working abroad for the company I currently hold a position in, is not an option. I think those chances are second to none.

Staying in Holland, and especially my part of the country (the deepest south you can get), is bothering me already. I am fed up with the environment around me and there is not a lot that interests me here (appart from being close to my family). Furthermore, after my time of 13 months in Thailand and 6 months in Berlin, I developed into a person with an outgoing mentality and international focus. It is difficult to sit here and just seeing the time go by. Basicly, I not see myself building up my life here.

You'll always get people advising you to stay at home then move here when you retire but at your age that is at least another 25-30yrs of living somewhere you don't enjoy living. I moved here aged 32 and wish I'd done it sooner! Sure, I may not be as financially secure in 30yrs as I would have been if I'd stayed in the UK but with the cost of living as it is/was I won't be much worse off and the quality of life over the next 30yrs far outweighs that.

If I'd stayed in England I would have been doing something I got no job satisfaction from and living somewhere I didn't enjoy living but instead I have enormous job satisfaction and a much better quality of life. The 13 weeks paid holiday is very nice too!

Edited by skybluestu

@ skybluestu

Hello Sky, this is also exactly how I feel over here (especially after staying in Thailand already for over a year). What job are you having now?

Actually, it is not the job. I believe jobs like this suit me the best. I mean, I have contact with customers and account managers in India, Thailand and Malaysia/Indonesia already. I think it is more my environment (and with that also the colleagues in my job in the office I am now, who are more narrow minded like me and have already a family life).

For me, money is not that important. I rather enjoy staying somewhere with less money and having a pleasant time, than being somewhere in a bigger budget and having no fun in life.

Hi B.D.

I'm in the same boat but a different country. I'm in Melbourne Australia and am looking to move to Thailand next year and have the same dilema, do i look for a job here, or do i arrive and look for a job there? English teaching is also a possiblitiy but I don't have a degree and will be just relying on the TEFL course taken in Thailand itself. i find staying in my country and watching the time go by to be something that i'm likely to regret even more as each day passes. Your lucky at least your quite savvy with the language.

Sean

Thanks for the help so far.

@ assiebebe:

When living in a certain place for a certain time, I am very open for picking up the local language.

Working abroad for the company I currently hold a position in, is not an option. I think those chances are second to none.

Staying in Holland, and especially my part of the country (the deepest south you can get), is bothering me already. I am fed up with the environment around me and there is not a lot that interests me here (appart from being close to my family). Furthermore, after my time of 13 months in Thailand and 6 months in Berlin, I developed into a person with an outgoing mentality and international focus. It is difficult to sit here and just seeing the time go by. Basicly, I not see myself building up my life here.

You'll always get people advising you to stay at home then move here when you retire but at your age that is at least another 25-30yrs of living somewhere you don't enjoy living. I moved here aged 32 and wish I'd done it sooner! Sure, I may not be as financially secure in 30yrs as I would have been if I'd stayed in the UK but with the cost of living as it is/was I won't be much worse off and the quality of life over the next 30yrs far outweighs that.

If I'd stayed in England I would have been doing something I got no job satisfaction from and living somewhere I didn't enjoy living but instead I have enormous job satisfaction and a much better quality of life. The 13 weeks paid holiday is very nice too!

I'm coming up to 30 now and know that if i spend another year in a full time job in a place where leisure time is spent sitting at the pub all day. What's your story? What happened when you moved, was work easy to find? What suggestions can you offer? I have a background in account managment, sales, real estate and dancing, but have no idea how to 'market' myself to a company within Thailand.

I would love to hear from you.

Sean

At age 28 i realized i wanted to move to and work in Thailand , i decided to wait in my home country and keep applying for expat jobs in Thailand. It took me 10 years of applying for expat posts, i had 8 interviews for various companies in that time and finally got offered a job in Bangkok , with full expat package, 3 years ago aged 38. Been living here ever since and i'm loving it.

@ skybluestu

Hello Sky, this is also exactly how I feel over here (especially after staying in Thailand already for over a year). What job are you having now?

Actually, it is not the job. I believe jobs like this suit me the best. I mean, I have contact with customers and account managers in India, Thailand and Malaysia/Indonesia already. I think it is more my environment (and with that also the colleagues in my job in the office I am now, who are more narrow minded like me and have already a family life).

For me, money is not that important. I rather enjoy staying somewhere with less money and having a pleasant time, than being somewhere in a bigger budget and having no fun in life.

I'm teaching which is what I came here to do. I'd visited Thailand about six times prior to moving here permanently while backpacking around Asia/Australia in my early 20's then finally decided to 'settle down' when I was about 28. But after almost four years of impersonating a hamster in a wheel I decided to give teaching a go, I'd been training some new starters where I worked and enjoyed the classroom environment but hated my job and it was a toss of a coin which helped me decide between Thailand and Brazil.

I was working in the financial sector and was earning relatively good money (a lot more than I do now!) but had zero job satisfaction and wasn't enjoying living in England, even though I was in Brighton which is one of the most popular places to live, so decided to take a gamble. I quit my job (they did keep it open for me if I wanted to return) sold a property I'd bought with my ex-girlfriend and got a one-way flight out here with no definite plans. Four years later and I'm living in a newly built 3-bedroom house, have a new car and motorbike, am happily married with a 17mnth old daughter and really enjoy my work where I've been for almost four years now. Very different to when I was in the UK in a one-bedroom flat, travelling to work on a germ-ridden bus and was clock-watching at work as I couldn't wait to leave every day and then spent most of my free time in the pub which is what everyone does!

I could have probably moved to the Kl office (maybe still a possibility in the future if the Thai government continues making teachers jump through hoops) which would have at least have got me out of the UK but I am happy teaching and will continue to do so as long as I can so have no regrets.

Good to hear that there are some other members from here contemplating to make the move. And very positive to have some feedback from members who already made the move and share their stories.

Furthermore, I think moving out around May 2013 is quite reasonable. I can get rid of my stuff, give my pet good shelter and build up some working experience.

@ skybluestu

Where did you eventually start? I mean; at what place have you done your TEFL/TESOL and how was it like?

Can you also tell me what degree you are holding (bachelore/master) ?

Furthermore, I am not only contemplating Thailand, I am also thinking about Cambodia and/or Laos. I am getting in touch with some Dutch people living in those two countries. The main reason considering them, is that I think Vientiane and/or Phnom Phen look smaller to me than Bangkok. Bangkok is still a big city in my mind, and these two cities aren't. Still however, Bangkok will probably boast more opportunities for me. The only thing concerning me about Thailand, are the employment rules for foreigners. They are quite strict and seem very reluctant against people from abroad.

Edited by BeardedDragon

@ skybluestu

Where did you eventually start? I mean; at what place have you done your TEFL/TESOL and how was it like?

Furthermore, I am not only contemplating Thailand, I am also thinking about Cambodia and/or Laos. I am getting in touch with some Dutch people living in those two countries. The main reason considering them, is that I think Vientiane and/or Phnom Phen look smaller to me than Bangkok. Bangkok is still a big city in my mind, and these two cities aren't. Still however, Bangkok will probably boast more opportunities for me. The only thing concerning me about Thailand, are the employment rules for foreigners. They are quite strict and seem very reluctant against people from abroad.

I did my TEFL at SEE in Chiang Mai (excellent, highly recommended) which, together with my academic qualifications, has allowed me to be approved for a work permit for the last four years.

There are many smaller places than BKK in Thailand where you could teach and probably get a more authentic Thai experience too. Yes the rules here are quite strict and getting stricter and, despite constantly announcing they want Thai students to improve their English skills, they make it more and more difficult each year for foreigners to stay.

Many schools will ask for a native English speaker too which, despite your obvious English ability, might make it harder for you. Good luck!

Edited by skybluestu

@ skybluestu

I did my TEFL at SEE in Chiang Mai (excellent, highly recommended) which, together with my academic qualifications, has allowed me to be approved for a work permit for the last four years.

There are many smaller places than BKK in Thailand where you could teach and probably get a more authentic Thai experience too. Yes the rules here are quite strict and getting stricter and, despite constantly announcing they want Thai students to improve their English skills, they make it more and more difficult each year for foreigners to stay.

Many schools will ask for a native English speaker too which, despite your obvious English ability, might make it harder for you. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply again skybluestu...

I met some Dutch guys when staying in Thailand, that were working in schools/universitites throughout the country, so there should definitly be an opportunity. One of these guys even quited his study here and travelled to Thailand with not even an approriate degree at all. He landed a job in a university close to Bangkok. I think Dutch people are seen as multi-linguel.