Is It Possible To Exchange Coin Currency For Thai Baht?

Just got here. Cashed in all my chips, so to speak, to join my soul mate here. While we are awaiting payday, I really need to exchange some coins from US, Hong Kong, Singapore, and Switzerland. Rejected at airport and two other places. Is there anywhere that will exchange my coins. Really would help with getting some groceries and such. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Where are you?

If Bkk try that Chinese exchange on the right into Suk. Soi 7. You'll get piddle poor exchange rate though.

Otherwise a bank, but doubt it.

Coins don't figure in the currency exchange market, unless you're prepared to take a big hit from somewhere shady.

Without being rude, you were a bit short-sighted to get into this position in the first place.

Maybe you try to meet somebody going back to one of those destinations shortly who may give you a few baht for the coins, but be generous.

Edited by Beechboy

Where are you?

If Bkk try that Chinese exchange on the right into Suk. Soi 7. You'll get piddle poor exchange rate though.

Coins don't figure in the currency exchange market, unless you're prepared to take a big hit from somewhere shady.

Without being rude, you were a bit short-sighted to get into this position in the first place.

Maybe you try to meet somebody going back to one of those destinations shortly who may give you a few baht for the coins, but be generous.

Banks will not take them. At the end of the day, for the receiver of these coins to get value for them, they have to ship them back to the country of origination. Bulk costs for little value.

Where are you?

Banks will not take them. At the end of the day, for the receiver of these coins to get value for them, they have to ship them back to the country of origination. Bulk costs for little value.

I more or less said this.

I feel the only hope is with my last suggestion, he would have to be lucky.

I have heard that street beggars often get foreign coinage thrown into their mugs, if true there must be an outlet somewhere.

Where are you?

Take em back to the country they came for and hope for the best or give them to a charity, Banks are not interested, bit of a bummer, but take a step back and think about it and you can understand why.

Thanks to the less myopic and quick-to-judge of you that sounded off. Some mock what they do not understand.

To be fair bluesman, you've just got here, you've cashed in all your chips and your implying a degree of desperation in having to cash in coins in order to buy groceries.... perhaps understandable that you are getting some commentary back.

On lighter note

By any chance your not working with BMA or FROC are you .. in some senior position.... they need people with your planning skills.

Good luck with the coins.....

Really would help with getting some groceries and such

GOODNESS GRACIOUS! do these kind of people like really exist or is he just pulling our leg? :o

I believe it is the equivalent of looking in trash cans for scraps of food - or cutting off your legs from the knees and crawling down Sukhumvit in Bangkok with a plastic coffee cup with 5 Baht in it.

Yes, believe it or not, was fully aware when asking, that a huge amount of internet-brave people would be quick to insult here. Even foresaw the bit of comic relief at my expense. You are welcome, clowns. People are narrow minded the world over. I will not stoop to explain the erroneous assumptions made by people that would never be brave enough to address me with such disrespect in person.

Yes, believe it or not, was fully aware when asking, that a huge amount of internet-brave people would be quick to insult here. Even foresaw the bit of comic relief at my expense. You are welcome, clowns. People are narrow minded the world over. I will not stoop to explain the erroneous assumptions made by people that would never be brave enough to address me with such disrespect in person.

We've got a bunch of sanctimonious dickwads up in here. Just ignore them. I have changed coins for money in the currency exchange all over SE Asia. These idiots don't know what's up.

And don't tell me this place isn't full of ill mannered cretin sexpats. These are the kind with black socks and tennis shoes, fat bellies and stretched out tattoos that say 'mum'. I'm sure a lot of them have tried to pay for a HJ with coins and now they are taking out their frustrations on you.

• Like 1

We've got a bunch of sanctimonious dickwads up in here. Just ignore them. I have changed coins for money in the currency exchange all over SE Asia. These idiots don't know what's up.

And don't tell me this place isn't full of ill mannered cretin sexpats. These are the kind with black socks and tennis shoes, fat bellies and stretched out tattoos that say 'mum'. I'm sure a lot of them have tried to pay for a HJ with coins and now they are taking out their frustrations on you.

Only two posts thus far Printaxa and so much pent up rage.... were expecting big things from you in the future indeed. Such an auspicious opening.. like the MUM bit.. shows creativity in thought

Ohhhh please save me.... I think even if you were able to find the desired purveyor of baht for coinage from various realms it might be difficult to do the deal as it would mean surrendering the cookie jaor of coins that is so aptly serving as your soapbox at present.

Ohhhh please save me.... I think even if you were able to find the desired purveyor of baht for coinage from various realms it might be difficult to do the deal as it would mean surrendering the cookie jaor of coins that is so aptly serving as your soapbox at present.

What is a cookie jaor?

What is a cookie jaor?

You only get that answer after a few more posts.. patience young one.. all will be revealed.

please enlighten us what level of respect a foreign "warrior" in Thailand can demand who is trying to exchange coins which

Really would help with getting some groceries and such...

there's nothing wrong exchanging coins! it's the context and introduction

Just got here. Cashed in all my chips...

which invites comments.

I've never had luck exchanging coins in any of the currencies listed by the OP. Sorry, wish I could be more helpful.

This doesn't help the OP but I have been able to exchange the 2 Euro coin at 2 different money exchanges at the Night Bazaar in Chiang Mai while exchanging Euro bills, and I received the posted exchange rate for these coins. That was 3 years ago, so I don't know if these money exchanges will still accept the 2 Euro coin or not. FWIW.

Edited by Microwave

PAWNSHOPS are all over in BKK, so if you expecting money to be sent from abroad arriving soon and you got a camera, a mobile phone or some jewellery / wrist watch, just cash it in for a few days and buy it out later, when you got your money...

Seriously, how much coins you are having in order to cheange them even for a poor rate and can "survive" from them for a few days???

Good Luck!

We've got a bunch of sanctimonious dickwads up in here. Just ignore them. I have changed coins for money in the currency exchange all over SE Asia. These idiots don't know what's up.And don't tell me this place isn't full of ill mannered cretin sexpats. These are the kind with black socks and tennis shoes, fat bellies and stretched out tattoos that say 'mum'. I'm sure a lot of them have tried to pay for a HJ with coins and now they are taking out their frustrations on you.

printaxa I initally hesitated to comment although mentally agreeing with Naam - but seeing how you came forward with both barrels blazing the question that begs to be asked is WHERE? did you change your coins?? - If you remember that is what the OP actually asked. Now if you can't provide the forum with details to back up your outlandish statement I respectfully suggest you crawl back into your cocoon and stop "Trolling".

Coincidentally I have lived in PNG, Phillipines, Vietnam and of course Thailand and I am yet to find these "coin" changers you speak of please enlighten us with your knowledge I will be the first to acknowledge your vast experience. :jap:

We've got a bunch of sanctimonious dickwads up in here. Just ignore them. I have changed coins for money in the currency exchange all over SE Asia. These idiots don't know what's up.And don't tell me this place isn't full of ill mannered cretin sexpats. These are the kind with black socks and tennis shoes, fat bellies and stretched out tattoos that say 'mum'. I'm sure a lot of them have tried to pay for a HJ with coins and now they are taking out their frustrations on you.

printaxa I initally hesitated to comment although mentally agreeing with Naam - but seeing how you came forward with both barrels blazing the question that begs to be asked is WHERE? did you change your coins?? - If you remember that is what the OP actually asked. Now if you can't provide the forum with details to back up your outlandish statement I respectfully suggest you crawl back into your cocoon and stop "Trolling".

Coincidentally I have lived in PNG, Phillipines, Vietnam and of course Thailand and I am yet to find these "coin" changers you speak of please enlighten us with your knowledge I will be the first to acknowledge your vast experience. :jap:

In Bangkok I have used various places on Soi Charan Sanit Wong. One of the smaller outfits. They bought several hundred dollars worth of my loose US dimes and quarters. Why is this so hard to believe?