Am I In A Position To Negotiate With So Many Bkk People Looking For A House As Well?

Femme

I am in the process of finding a house and after days of driving around I finally found a house I really like. I haven't seen the house from the inside yet, but will this weekend. But when I saw it I could visualise myself living there.

It was freshly painted, with a small but nice garden. I really want to live there, it's perfect for me.

I spoke to the owner, who spoke English fluently (darn... harder to negotiate) and he's asking 7,500 baht per month

for this 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house -unfurnished-, located in Chang Phueak area (around Lanna Hospital)

It's almost 3 k baht more than I had in mind for an unfurnished house and I have to buy literally everything.

I reread the topics about how- to-negotiate (offer paying 3 months in advance, a 2 year contract, auto pay by bank etc) But I wonder if all these tips will work with so many people from Bangkok looking for a house as well.

Without this flood situation I would have been confident to offer 5k baht, but now I am not sure. The owner is of course also aware of his convenient position.

What is your thought on this?

Agree with WTK, the influx of BKK'ians is driving short term rental prices up (Quite a bit too!), but shouldn't have any real effect on the long term rentals.

Maybe try asking the owner his/her price on a monthly rental. If they shy away, it means that they are only looking for long-termers, and you should haggle away. If they actually consider the monthly rental option, then let a BKK'ian live there for a month, then make a long term contract with the owner next month.

then let a BKK'ian live there for a month, then make a long term contract with the owner next month.

Huh? thats crazy. Dont complicate things with red herrings , if you love the place then make a FAIR offer , nothing silly like 50% off. A deal is only struck when its a win win for both parties

Then move in and enjoy your happy life in your new home

good luck

Edited by Hooters

On our Moo bahn there are 225 empty houses out of just over 600. A lot of them are up for renting and I haven't seen queue's of Bangkokians anywhere around here. I think all this talk of that lot coming up here and buying up/renting everything available in the North is a load of twaddle. Sure some have come and are staying with relatives short term, we have some here, but they just want to get back home and clean their flooded houses out and get back to work as fast as possible.

When the floods first hit Bangkok last week, 20 people from Bangkok came up to Chiang Mai and bought houses in the moobahn I am moving to. Each house cost between 3 and 5 million baht each. I think that qualifies as Bangkok people looking for a house. I don't think they are looking for older houses, they want the new modern houses that are being built all over Chiang Mai.

When the floods first hit Bangkok last week, 20 people from Bangkok came up to Chiang Mai and bought houses in the moobahn I am moving to. Each house cost between 3 and 5 million baht each. I think that qualifies as Bangkok people looking for a house. I don't think they are looking for older houses, they want the new modern houses that are being built all over Chiang Mai.

wow .. which mooban ?

I just put my house up for sale a few days ago and...about 140 hits already (!!)...and NOBODY called me up yet...:o...so I'm not sure,that we are in the RE "boom" ...but lets hope,that they are not planning to move here yet...enjoy Loi Kratong !! :jap:

Nonsense.

On our Moo bahn there are 225 empty houses out of just over 600. A lot of them are up for renting and I haven't seen queue's of Bangkokians anywhere around here. I think all this talk of that lot coming up here and buying up/renting everything available in the North is a load of twaddle. Sure some have come and are staying with relatives short term, we have some here, but they just want to get back home and clean their flooded houses out and get back to work as fast as possible.

+1

Nonsense.

I agree with elektrified. Richard10365 still on the sell I see.

A Thai would probably get it cheaper, but if it's 'perfect' for you...

Had a partially furnished place (year old) in L&H for 7k a few years ago, though that was a steal and farang priced was 12k.

7.5k for an older (?), unfurnished place near the city is probably a bit much. If you really like it, I wouldn't take the p*ss and offer too small amount, but use the unfurnished (does it have air-con?) as a bargaining tool. Perhaps try 5.5k, but don't seem overly keen. Leave your number and give it a few days if he doesn't take. Also, go at the hottest time of day and see how it is inside. I'd also mooch around at night to check for inevitable dogs barking next door/nearby karaoke bar etc. You could wear a balaclava and hide in the bushes. :ph34r:

When the floods first hit Bangkok last week, 20 people from Bangkok came up to Chiang Mai and bought houses in the moobahn I am moving to. Each house cost between 3 and 5 million baht each. I think that qualifies as Bangkok peopleu looking for a house. I don't think they are looking for older houses, they want the new modern houses that are being built all over Chiang Mai.

ttu

wow .. which mooban ?ttj

I think it's the mubaan near MeeChok Plaza where they made the made the horror ghost movie where everyone got murdered ;)

Had a partially furnished place (year old) in L&H for 7k a few years ago, though that was a steal and farang priced was 12k.

7.5k for an older (?), unfurnished place near the city is probably a bit much. If you really like it, I wouldn't take the p*ss and offer too small amount, but use the unfurnished (does it have air-con?) as a bargaining tool. Perhaps try 5.5k, but don't seem overly keen. Leave your number and give it a few days if he doesn't take. Also, go at the hottest time of day and see how it is inside. I'd also mooch around at night to check for inevitable dogs barking next door/nearby karaoke bar etc. You could wear a balaclava and hide in the bushes. :ph34r:

Hehe... biggrin.gif

I agree Jackr, it looks new from the outside, but the pictures show it's an old house. No AC, no fan, no-thing, as empty as it can be.

The size and location is perfect, but the house is so-so. I offer 5k because of the location, the house itself is worth less. But I'm ready to make some compromises.

To others:

So, house owners and real estate agencies exaggerate (lying?) that they are 'sooo busy' with BKK-people...? blink.gif

Mmmm -frown-. Good to know though.

Nonsense.

It's a load of whoopsie.

Nonsense.

It's a load of whoopsie.

The sales girl probably pitching him to buy more houses in the mooban or take the more expensive unit.

Keep in the back of your mind that there are hundreds of houses for rent in CM, so there's probably other houses, maybe even furnished,to your liking.

wow .. which mooban ?

Urbana...where the super highway and the ring road cross.

wow .. which mooban ?

Urbana...where the super highway and the ring road cross.

Urbana has had a hard time selling their units and they've discounted their pricing several times, we looked at them a few months ago along with a sales lady that we knew from our Palm Springs days many years ago and she confided that sales were not that great. As I recall they don't have that many units remaining in either Phase II or Phase III, Phase II being substantially lower priced than its predecessors, for them to have sold twenty units in a weekend is unimaginable I'm afraid.

My wife is a real estate agent and her phone has been ringing non stop this last week with people calling from BKK. One women came yesterday and put a down payment down the same day. She has shown quite a few people around and a lot of them talk about getting away from the floods. Also people looking for a place to rent.She took two couples around this week that are talking to the bank about loans both from BKK. How many will buy I dont know,but the floods are making people think about moving up here.

My wife is a real estate agent and her phone has been ringing non stop this last week with people calling from BKK. One women came yesterday and put a down payment down the same day. She has shown quite a few people around and a lot of them talk about getting away from the floods. Also people looking for a place to rent.She took two couples around this week that are talking to the bank about loans both from BKK. How many will buy I dont know,but the floods are making people think about moving up here.

And I believe that entirely. What I question however is Urbana having sold twenty units in a weekend.

I don't know about a mass influx of other bangkoknians, but as for me I need to get away from the ever increasing pollution level, traffic, and having to deal with constant flooding more or less year after year.

Of course I can always shell out the expense of redesigning / lifting our house up to keep us safe and dry, but you then still have to deal with how to get your food supplies when everywhere else is flooded.

A friend of mine who just bought a house in Rungsit -klong3 area recently, had thought she was quite safe from the flood......but noooooooo. She will have to pray hard next year and the next....'cause she doesn't have a luxury of be able to move out after just spent 6M. Chaingmai, and Bangsaen are the top 2 places I have heard many of my friends are talking about.

Yes count me in, as another bangkoknian who will be looking for a house up there soon, luckily I can work from home. Don't know if I will buy or build...or even the city is interesting enough to move up there permanently. I like Chiangmai due to having cooler weather, many night markets, friendly atmosphere, still well preserved local culture..etcs However I know that being there as a tourist is much different than as a long stayer. I will be there the whole month of Feb checking it out....so will see

"So, house owners and real estate agencies exaggerate (lying?) that they are 'sooo busy' with BKK-people...?"

That wouldn't happen, would it? An estate agent BS'ing about demand to get the price up? No, I don't believe it.

My comment is tongue in cheek

Of course not, would never happen. I would be interested to know where all the extra jobs in CM are going to come from with the mass exodus from Bangkok.Throw in how people are going to sell their properties in Bangkok that have been flooded. All adds up to a massive beat up

The true picture I suspect lies somewhere between twenty houses in a weekend and none, there will be a lot of people who will move from Bangkok, people with money, those wanting second homes, those like the poster previously who can work from home and are tired of the big city, etc etc. I also think there will be businesses that will move North and the likes of those currently based in the Lamphun business parks will increase. All told it looks like a win win scenario for CM but I don't think it will comprise an instant mass exedous from Bangkok as some allude to and let's not forget, there's a shed load of unsold property in CM and it will take time for that inventory to get used up before demand outstrips supply..