Visa On Arrival

I feel so stupid asking this question but here goes.

In 14 days I leave for BKK for a planned trip of approximately 35 days. I'm a US Citizen. My intent was to obtain the Visa on Arrival. It's been several years since I've stayed this long but thought Visa on Arrival was 60 days. I'm now seeing it listed as 30 days on both the US State Dept and Thai Embassy web sites. It appears I have a kink in my plan.

60 Day Tourist Visa is $40 but am concerned about turn around time.

In-country extension appears to be 1900B plus a squandered morning in lines. This plan makes me nervous about being rejected for a Visa on arrival at the airport while holding a return ticket at 35 days. Can this extension be done in Pattaya?

Finally I suppose I could, and may, simply leave and re-enter. I was considering Myanmar once I'm in Thailand.

I'd appreciate some experienced advice.

your 30 day stamp can be extended by 7 days at an immigration office

if you're staying in Pattaya and if you decide to nip across a border and return (same day or later)

I think the nearest would be the border with Cambodia in Aranyaprathet/Poipet

when you return to Thailand over land (or by sea) you will get a stamp for 14 days

FYI, technically, it's a "Visa Exempt" chop you get in your passport, not a "Visa On Arrival."

Problem could be, tho, that your airline might just not let you board the aircraft without an ongoing ticket out of Thailand within the 30 day period. This almost happened to me last year with United at PDX, until I convinced the check-in gal that a Re-Entry Permit worked.

Where do you live? Some Honorary Thai consulates have quick visa turn around times.

Mac

You have time to obtain a visa. As said airline may not allow travel without or a ticket out within 30 days and the 7 days would cost more than the visa. Expect you could obtain with a quick drive to the windy city or by Express Mail from any of the many Consulates you will find in a Google search in plenty of time (or even use a visa service).

As you have a return ticket within 35 days of your arrival, you will (should) not have any problems with the airlines leaving for Thailand.

When you arrive in Thailand, you will receive a 30 day visa exempt stay at the airport. At the end of that 30 day period, head on down to immigration, Jomtien soi 5, as you're staying in Pattaya.

There you will (should) get an additional 7 days extension of stay, well covering your 35 days intended stay in Thailand.

So no need to worry.

As you have a return ticket within 35 days of your arrival, you will (should) not have any problems with the airlines leaving for Thailand.

Don't worry about boarding at your departure airport or upon arrival at SVB.

I've flown into Bangkok perhaps 20 or 30 times over the last few years and have not been queried at the departure airport and certainly never at the immigration desk at the airport.

Its not advisable, but you could always pay the fine upon exit for the 5 day overstay. I think its 1000 THB per day. I've done this once for 2 days, it was pretty painless, you get a smallish stamp in the passport, but this has never been an issue on subsequent visits.

Simon

The fine is 500 baht per day for overstay, a maximum of 20000 baht.

If I were you I would listen to what Lopburi 3 said, "You have time to obtain a visa. As said airline may not allow travel without or a ticket out within 30 days and the 7 days would cost more than the visa. Expect you could obtain with a quick drive to the windy city or by Express Mail from any of the many Consulates you will find in a Google search in plenty of time (or even use a visa service)." No matter what people have told you on this post about how not to worry that they have done it in the past and it's not a problem, you can search other previous posts where the airline did not let them board the aircraft and their vacation was screwed! You don't want to take the chance and get to the airport and not be allowed to get on the airplane. If you do not want to use the postal service direct, there are services on the internet that can and will handle everything for you via Fed Ex. Don't take the chance, get the tourist visa.

I've flown into Bangkok perhaps 20 or 30 times over the last few years and have not been queried at the departure airport and certainly never at the immigration desk at the airport.

Its not advisable, but you could always pay the fine upon exit for the 5 day overstay. I think its 1000 THB per day. I've done this once for 2 days, it was pretty painless, you get a smallish stamp in the passport, but this has never been an issue on subsequent visits.

Simon

Whether you want to get the visa or not depends on whether or not you think your airline won't seize on an opportunity to sell you a ticket you neither want nor need.

I'm not usually a meticulous, careful planner but eight years of international travel has changed that. When you let details like this slip they rise up to burn you when you least expect it, or when it's the most inconvenient and expensive. Traveling is already a super stressful experience today, why give yourself something else to worry about?

The fine is 500 baht per day for overstay, a maximum of 20000 baht.

If I were you I would listen to what Lopburi 3 said, "You have time to obtain a visa. As said airline may not allow travel without or a ticket out within 30 days and the 7 days would cost more than the visa. Expect you could obtain with a quick drive to the windy city or by Express Mail from any of the many Consulates you will find in a Google search in plenty of time (or even use a visa service)." No matter what people have told you on this post about how not to worry that they have done it in the past and it's not a problem, you can search other previous posts where the airline did not let them board the aircraft and their vacation was screwed! You don't want to take the chance and get to the airport and not be allowed to get on the airplane. If you do not want to use the postal service direct, there are services on the internet that can and will handle everything for you via Fed Ex. Don't take the chance, get the tourist visa.

Simon

As I previously stated, there shouldn't be any problems doing what the OP has planned. I put 'should' within parentheses are there are never any guaranties. Of course having a tourist visa would negate any possible issues with the airline. However I understand having your passport in limbo somewhere between your home and a consulate is quite nerve-racking, with your departure date approaching. As a piece of mind calling up the airline and inquire about their policy would be suggested, but as the OP has a return ticket within 35 days of departure, I don't see any airline denying him to board a flight.

Call the Portland Consulate ask her what she needs and you can have your passport back in a couple of days. with a nice shiney tourist visa for 60 days. No standing in line wasteing a morning nor wasteing a day making a visa run to some crap town for a 14 days visa.

I have a retirement extension of stay and my airline EVA asked me about it this time when I flew back. So even though someone else hasn't been bothered doesn't mean you want be.

There is no 7 day extension of stay - that is an under review period for an extension application that is refused. It allows longer stay but it can not be used to justify longer than 30 day visa exempt entry without onward travel documents by airline.

There is no 7 day extension of stay - that is an under review period for an extension application that is refused. It allows longer stay but it can not be used to justify longer than 30 day visa exempt entry without onward travel documents by airline.

Agree! Stating it as a 7 day extension of stay was to misrepresent it. However with the OP having a confirmed flight out 5 days later. I’ve never heard of, or been in the situation that the immigration officer would deny you an additional 7 (or in this case 5) days of stay.

The problem would be airline - they can and occasionally do prevent travel if you do not seem to meet there computer requirements so best to not have an issue there (security checks are enough hassle these days) (and I have had such issues more than once even with proper paperwork).

You have time to obtain a visa. As said airline may not allow travel without or a ticket out within 30 days and the 7 days would cost more than the visa. Expect you could obtain with a quick drive to the windy city or by Express Mail from any of the many Consulates you will find in a Google search in plenty of time (or even use a visa service).

Everyone, thank you very much for your sage advice.

It appears in the US a visa request may be processed in a number of locations. Chicago, New York and DC appear to be the closest. My thought is to FedEx the visa app on Monday with fingers crossed for a quick turn around unless anyone has horror stories about Chicago's processing times.

I really do appreciate the assistance.

I would select from this list and call them - they make there money selling visas so are often more responsive/faster than the official government staffed consulates you mentioned. You can use any consulate in the country and express mail will be about the same anywhere.

http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/clate/whitepp/2010/hon_consul.pdf

I would select from this list and call them - they make there money selling visas so are often more responsive/faster than the official government staffed consulates you mentioned. You can use any consulate in the country and express mail will be about the same anywhere.

http://www.thaiconsulatechicago.org/clate/whitepp/2010/hon_consul.pdf

Same cost to me?

We had a very bad experience in turn-around at the Chicago consulate, but it was a bit over three years ago. I'd suggest you call first and see if they seem "customer-oriented". They were difficult to deal with over the phone three years ago and that should have been our first clue that we'd have problems.

We were told 10 day turnaround. After two weeks we called and then learned that was 10 business days. We finally received our passports with visas three weeks after we'd expressed them to Chicago -- literally two days before our big move to Thailand. Hubby and I submitted identical paperwork -- he got a 12 month O-A visa but I just got a 90 day O visa. Too late to make any changes, we just came over here and I had to sort it all out once I arrived in Chiang Mai. We hadn't planned to transfer major funds over here so soon after arrival. Our home hadn't sold yet in the U.S. and we had other funds tied up, thinking we wouldn't need to deposit that 800,000 baht for at least 9 months. It was a major inconvenience. Also, now our visa extensions expire at different times of the year, which can make it hard to plan longer trips out of Thailand.

When I asked CM Immigration why the Chicago office did this, they said "you have to go to Chicago and ask them!"

http://www.thaiconsu.../hon_consul.pdf

Same cost to me?

Yes, same cost to you.

A general csnulate is staffed by Thai government officials, who get a salary from the Thai government. Honorary consulates are not staffed by government officials, it are people who have some kind of connection with Thailand and do it besides another job. often you find them in law firms. They do not get a salary. Instead they get commission for each visa they issue to pay for their costs.

The other idea is to take a weekend trip to a neighbouring country, also nice and beautiful. If you do it by air, you'll get another 30 days upon re-entry, by road 14 days.

Check out the visa regulations, and whether the cost factor is important for you.

Yes, same cost to you.

A general csnulate is staffed by Thai government officials, who get a salary from the Thai government. Honorary consulates are not staffed by government officials, it are people who have some kind of connection with Thailand and do it besides another job. often you find them in law firms. They do not get a salary. Instead they get commission for each visa they issue to pay for their costs.

Great info. I actually found that list but didn't have a clue what an honorary consulate was.

I sent an email to all of the consulates in Lopburi's list. Dallas answered by email on a Sunday evening in five minutes and said they do a same day turnaround for visitor visas. I collected everything they needed today and will express it to them in the morning. I figure about $90 for everything ($40 visa, $10 photos, $40 express mail) but the peace of mind boarding is worth it. Also have an opportunity to change my outbound from Nov 25 Japan Air business to Nov 24 Cathay first class ticket. This will make it easier to do that.

I've gotten such great info here. I'm grateful.

Yes, same cost to you.

Great info. I actually found that list but didn't have a clue what an honorary consulate was.

I sent an email to all of the consulates in Lopburi's list. Dallas answered by email on a Sunday evening in five minutes and said they do a same day turnaround for visitor visas. I collected everything they needed today and will express it to them in the morning. I figure about $90 for everything ($40 visa, $10 photos, $40 express mail) but the peace of mind boarding is worth it. Also have an opportunity to change my outbound from Nov 25 Japan Air business to Nov 24 Cathay first class ticket. This will make it easier to do that.

Just out of curiosity: How much do these tickets (JL business and CX first class) cost?

Yes, same cost to you.

Just out of curiosity: How much do these tickets (JL business and CX first class) cost?

Honestly I'm not sure. I think the business was in the $8000-9000 range. I found the CX first class for $16,000 one way. I'm paying just taxes $111.00. I've become something of a frequent flyer whore the past year. I've been applying for credit cards with fat bonus within the airlines programs. Racked up about 1 million miles this year. Credit score has gone up. This is my payoff for a bit of diligent accounting over the past twelve months.

Everyone was very helpful regarding my Visa inquiry. I wanted to post a timeline for anyone finding themselves in this situation.

Sunday emailed Honorary Thai Consulates and received a response in 5 minutes from Dallas. Others responded next day. Many did not respond to email.

Monday AM USPS express mail visa application

Tuesday Application received in Dallas in AM

Thursday Passport and completed visa USPS expressed back in PM

Friday Passport delivered

Use of the Honorary consulates was key and completely new knowledge for me.

My timeline was tight but you could save money and add only a few days to this process with trackable USPS Priority mail.

Emailing the Honorary Thai Consulates may be a good barometer for which is most responsive at the time.

Once more, I appreciate everyone's help and encouragement.

Honestly I'm not sure. I think the business was in the $8000-9000 range. I found the CX first class for $16,000 one way. I'm paying just taxes $111.00. I've become something of a frequent flyer whore the past year. I've been applying for credit cards with fat bonus within the airlines programs. Racked up about 1 million miles this year. Credit score has gone up. This is my payoff for a bit of diligent accounting over the past twelve months.

Oh, you are using miles! Yes, if you have enough of them it makes sense to go for this extra comfort.

Everyone was very helpful regarding my Visa inquiry. I wanted to post a timeline for anyone finding themselves in this situation.

Sunday emailed Honorary Thai Consulates and received a response in 5 minutes from Dallas. Others responded next day. Many did not respond to email.

Monday AM USPS express mail visa application

Tuesday Application received in Dallas in AM

Thursday Passport and completed visa USPS expressed back in PM

Friday Passport delivered

Use of the Honorary consulates was key and completely new knowledge for me.

My timeline was tight but you could save money and add only a few days to this process with trackable USPS Priority mail.

Emailing the Honorary Thai Consulates may be a good barometer for which is most responsive at the time.

Once more, I appreciate everyone's help and encouragement.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciated.