Are You Scared, Worried, Or Feel Like It'S Pointless To Live In Thailand?

ajarnyai

The only real pointless thoughts if you do live in Thailand are that the whole country will be corruption free, (from the head of the snake to the last tip of the tail), political heads, to the street vender, and that the rich will let the poorer people (Reds) from getting out from underneath this 3rd world stigma, most of Thailand is living with. If you can live within the bounds of reality with these, then you for sure are in the right country.:jap:

Probably true. It is hard to envision a Thailand with no corruption. Of course, the Thais will be the first to tell you about corruption here. It was probably the #1 theme during the past election. I thought the poster who said the middle class rules was way, way off. A tiny minority rules, in each country, not just Thailand, and they use the mainstream mass media and education system to control minds. The poster who said we have a different definition of PC was right. I think I was mostly thinking about censorship/mind control, which Thailand has mastered. The poster who thinks we have too few people on the planet needs to join the National Population Cancer Club whose motto is "growth, growth, growth." In terms of quality of life for the masses alone, we are clearly overpopulated. In terms of our economic activities, we are clearly overpopulated. In terms of our impact on nature, we are clearly overpopulated. I think it is much easier to deny and/or ignore problems than to recognize them and take action to correct them. I am excited that the 99% is recognizing that a major problem exists. What will happen next will be interesting. We have already seen what happens next in the Middle East. I wonder if the movement will ever spread to Thailand. We actually could be living during a very exciting time of change that will lead to something positive. If so, it will surely not be pointless to live in Thailand if you can deal with the cultural differences. But going from point A to point B might mean passing through a very turbulent period that will not be pleasant no matter where you live. Developed countries are in a better position to adopt positive changes rapidly. Perhaps the most positive change will be a total rejection of fossil fuel energy use. Couple that with a strong desire and commitment to reduce the size of the human population to, say, its 1950 level, and things would start looking positive again. Nature might step in and reduce the size of our population. Nature seems to do that with other species when they have exceeded sustainable levels. Good luck!

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The population is expected to peak by 2050, the population of China in particular will fall dramatically by then, by around 300 million people in that country alone. Continued urbanization, combined with sex selection technology and contraception will help tremendously too. These factors along with enhanced wealth and education in Asian countries will see these countries start to adopt the Western mentality to procreation. It wasn't that long since families of ten were common in the UK, now a family of three is regarded as being big. The same pattern will follow in Asia.

There are four countries that of concern at the moment, Nigeria, Indonesia, India and Pakistan. These countries are projected to gain population rapidly, these countries are needing a lot of help to sort this population growth quickly. The main problem in these four countries in particular is they have a vast " peasant " populace. The United nations should move quickly to try to undo possible calamities in these countries, by developing educational programmes in these areas.

On your other point, I would hazard a guess that there are far more illegal immigrants in Thailand than in the UK. The vast majority of immigration into the UK is from the European Union countries, and that's a fair deal, as we have exported hundreds of thousands of people into the Costa Del Sol alone. In fact, as far as I can see we've exported about 35,000 Brits into Thailand. ( well, that's the official figure ). Does anyone believe there are only 35,000 Brits resident in Thailand? Could it be that there are, god forbid, illegal British immigrants in Thailand? Oh the shame, the hypocrisy !!! :o

ps Why do Brits in Thailand go on about subjects like this in the UK? you've left......stop looking over your shoulder and get on with your life.

The population is expected to peak by 2050, the population of China in particular will fall dramatically by then, by around 300 million people in that country alone. Continued urbanization, combined with sex selection technology and contraception will help tremendously too. These factors along with enhanced wealth and education in Asian countries will see these countries start to adopt the Western mentality to procreation. It wasn't that long since families of ten were common in the UK, now a family of three is regarded as being big. The same pattern will follow in Asia.

There are four countries that of concern at the moment, Nigeria, Indonesia, India and Pakistan. These countries are projected to gain population rapidly, these countries are needing a lot of help to sort this population growth quickly. The main problem in these four countries in particular is they have a vast " peasant " populace. The United nations should move quickly to try to undo possible calamities in these countries, by developing educational programmes in these areas.

On your other point, I would hazard a guess that there are far more illegal immigrants in Thailand than in the UK. The vast majority of immigration into the UK is from the European Union countries, and that's a fair deal, as we have exported hundreds of thousands of people into the Costa Del Sol alone. In fact, as far as I can see we've exported about 35,000 Brits into Thailand. ( well, that's the official figure ). Does anyone believe there are only 35,000 Brits resident in Thailand? Could it be that there are, god forbid, illegal British immigrants in Thailand? Oh the shame, the hypocrisy !!! :o

ps Why do Brits in Thailand go on about subjects like this in the UK? you've left......stop looking over your shoulder and get on with your life.

Interesting, you seem to be presenting info. in a way that says "what problem?" First, population is not expected (meaning certain to happen) to peak by 2050. That is a projection that might happen IF. And that is a big if. There are low, medium and high projections based on complicated variables. Second, even if it does peak at, say, 9 billion, so what? We are already grossly overpopulated and passed that point long ago. Third, a family with three kids is not a family that will lead to zero population growth. Fourth, there is a long list of countries with TFRs that are very high, not just the few you cited. And growing numbers of developed countries with low TFRs are trying to get women to have even more children. Fifth, the point I was making about mass migrations is only a possibility if "the shit hits the fan" in the wake of climate change and if Thailand's neighbors see Thailand as a haven. The main point that people should know is that we have already passed sustainable levels in terms of the size of our population. This is very self-evident if the concept of sustainable includes quality of life factors. Sure, in theory, we could keep stacking humans into tiny cubicles and feed them bread and water each day and no doubt support even more people. But why should that be a goal? As I said, nature will likely take its revenge at some point, making this discussion a moot point.

Interesting, you seem to be presenting info. in a way that says "what problem?" First, population is not expected (meaning certain to happen) to peak by 2050. That is a projection that might happen IF. And that is a big if. There are low, medium and high projections based on complicated variables. Second, even if it does peak at, say, 9 billion, so what? We are already grossly overpopulated and passed that point long ago. Third, a family with three kids is not a family that will lead to zero population growth. Fourth, there is a long list of countries with TFRs that are very high, not just the few you cited. And growing numbers of developed countries with low TFRs are trying to get women to have even more children. Fifth, the point I was making about mass migrations is only a possibility if "the shit hits the fan" in the wake of climate change and if Thailand's neighbors see Thailand as a haven. The main point that people should know is that we have already passed sustainable levels in terms of the size of our population. This is very self-evident if the concept of sustainable includes quality of life factors. Sure, in theory, we could keep stacking humans into tiny cubicles and feed them bread and water each day and no doubt support even more people. But why should that be a goal? As I said, nature will likely take its revenge at some point, making this discussion a moot point.

You speak the truth.

Unfortunately ( back to the fact that the western world is too PC ) no western politician would have the guts to make aid to countries with excessive population growth contigent on them reducing poulation growth. As for nature taking it's revenge- no likely about it. Look at Somalia, which has a high death rate due to drought. However, due to their attacks on those seeking to help last time, few are willing to help this time.

I can't see Thailand suffering much though, Vast areas are scarcly populated, and the land is so fertile. Plus I don't see large families, even in the remote villages, which is where one would expect to see big families.

Alarmist <deleted>!

What country is overpopulated?

Not Thailand, Mayamar or Laos. Mostly empty.

Not even the UK, though the government restricts housing into relatively small areas.

Not the USA, again mostly empty.

Canada, I've driven all day in Canada and only seen a couple of cars coming the other way, scarily empty.

People mostly choose to squeeze together in cities, I don't know why they do that, but that isn't called overpopulation.

You should get out of your condo more and take a look at all the unused space in the world.

Edited by ludditeman

You speak the truth.

Unfortunately ( back to the fact that the western world is too PC ) no western politician would have the guts to make aid to countries with excessive population growth contigent on them reducing poulation growth. As for nature taking it's revenge- no likely about it. Look at Somalia, which has a high death rate due to drought. However, due to their attacks on those seeking to help last time, few are willing to help this time.

I can't see Thailand suffering much though, Vast areas are scarcly populated, and the land is so fertile. Plus I don't see large families, even in the remote villages, which is where one would expect to see big families.

Yes, Western politicians are way too PC to do what is necessary to take an aggressive stance to reduce (not stabilize in 100 years) the size of the human population. If you go beyond PC, then you enter the realm of religion, and that is a major reason for the population problem and lack of serious efforts to reduce it worldwide. You are right, Somalia is a good example of "nature taking its revenge." What concerns me is climate change and how it will impact countries, especially in the developing world. Thailand seems, on paper, to be doing OK for now, but we just saw one glimpse of what climate change can do in the form of flooding. It is impossible to predict precisely what will happen, but it could be devastating to agricultural production. When one area becomes unlivable, people migrate to other areas that they think are better. The Sudan is a good example of this now. This will no doubt happen in Asia. Where, when, what and precisely why are questions I think nobody can answer at this time. I think the most that can be said is that we are going to witness extreme weather events that will change normal patterns of doing things and cause major disruptions to economic systems. But, as stated, this is likely a "slow train wreck" scenario. Like the frog in hot water, it will not be understood immediately except by scientists who have been predicting it for decades. Am I scared, worried or feel like it is pointless to live in Thailand. I like to focus on solutions, but when I focus on problems I do get a bit scared and worried. But "pointless to live in Thailand." Right now, no, but in ten years, maybe, but where is a better place to escape? I think that place might turn out to be, ironically, the developed world which will have far less of a people problem and will be technologically able to adapt to changing conditions. I just see a lot of challenges ahead for developing countries like Thailand, and I do not see leaders focusing on solutions.

.... it will not be understood immediately except by scientists who have been predicting it for decades.

I can remember back a few years in the 1970s scientists were predicting an approaching ice age.

For for a couple of decades they predicted 'cold', then for a couple of decades they predicted 'hot', now they seem to be predicting 'change'.

How many different, incorrect and conflicting predictions do 'scientists' have to make before you stop being 'scared' by them?

Edited by ludditeman

Alarmist <deleted>!

Not even the UK, though the government restricts housing into relatively small areas.

Canada, I've driven all day in Canada and only seen a couple of cars coming the other way, scarily empty.

People mostly choose to squeeze together in cities, I don't know why they do that, but that isn't called overpopulation.

You should get out of your condo more and take a look at all the unused space in the world.

I'm sure we all agree that the world could support many billions more, but it could not support them having the same lifestyle that we enjoy.

You might like to live in a land with no natural areas or undomesticated animals and eat processed seaweed, but I doubt many reading this form would want to.

Many complain about the visa rules, but I'm sure that we're happy it's not a free for all to illegals and those with alien ( to Thailand ) lifestyles, like in London, which isn't even recognisably English any more.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

You might like to live in a land with no natural areas or undomesticated animals and eat processed seaweed, but I doubt many reading this form would want to.

I thought we already lived in Thailand?

What undomesticated animals have you seen lately?

Processed seaweed is advertised as a premium snack food on Telly all the time.

Edited by ludditeman

Are you just being argumentative?

Thailand has jungles full of undomesticated animals.

Would you like to eat ONLY seaweed- I sure wouldn't?

You have a strange concept of the word "full"

Tell me what medium or large undomesticated mammals have you seen recently in the Thai jungles?

You have a strange concept of the word "full"

Tell me what medium or large undomesticated mammals have you seen recently in the Thai jungles?

I'm thinking Mr. Beachlover just stays on the beach and never actually goes out in the jungles.

But to be fair, if I didn't know better, I would have imagined the jungles full of wildlife.

Edited by ludditeman

:rolleyes:

Sorry, none of the above.

I made a choice to come here to retire and live with my Thai family.

Of course it's not perfect...nothing is.

But, for me, it's preferable to living in my "home country" where my family is not living.

To me, that makes sense.

:D

By the way...your feeling about losing the joy of living in Thailand after a ccouple of years is a common thing.

It usually happens to many, if not most, of the expats that live in Thailand on a long-term basis.

The bloom wears of the Rose you might say.

It's a common thing. Either you will grow out of it or leave because you can't tolerate it any longer.

Exactly which, depends on your psychology. Either you will adapt...or you will give up.

I've been through it before...and I'm still here.

:D

Well said!

Never leave Thailand as your last and only option.

After 10 years I have just had that feeling. Intend to stay after retirement.

With everything in Thailand "set up"

Next year everything towards Europe. With 20 years still to go to retire I am glad I saw this now and not when I am already at retirement age (an option "just in case") I still love Thailand but what did you say it has "the bloom is fading" :unsure: :unsure:

Edited by maprao

After 10 years here My company is moving our family to the USA for a 3 year assignment. I'm Canadian so it should be a fairly easy adjustment. The wife and kids are excited to go too plus Louisiana has decent weather and spicy food.

Before I was offered the job assignment my wife and I were thinking of leaving Thailand. My income doesn't come from Thailand and we are not affected by Thai politics. What has been bothering us both is the change in Thai peoples values. It has been very apparent during this flood crisis. The greed and lack of compassion displayed by many Thais has been disheartening especially when compared to the attitudes of the Japanese.

Talking with Thai family and friends they agree that Thai society is getting darker(jai daam)every year. Is Thailand taking the same path the Philippines did, violent crime, kidnappings, requiring armed guards in restaurants? We have 4 children and honestly Thailand's development doesn't seem to be going in a positive direction. Maybe its just me worrying too much.

I am currently working out of Malaysia and must say that I like it. The people seem friendlier it is cleaner and they seem to take education seriously. I'm not living there so maybe I have the same rose colored glasses I had when I first moved to Thailand. I also spent some time in Singapore and it seems like a viable alternative for a family who wishes to stay in Asia though a lot more expensive. Anyways that's my two cents.

You work as a teacher, yet don't know how to use 'losing' in a sentence?

I've seen TEFL farangs here who can barely read or write, and who have accents so thick that even I have trouble interpreting what they are saying.

Mediocrity seems to be par for the course for farangs who actually work here for money, as opposed to those who just live off savings/pensions/investments/ill-gotten gains from elsewhere.

+1.

It's a shame Thailand doesn't let foreigner's into a few more craft-based occupation's that would do farang's justice instead of teaching kids...

Alarmist <deleted>!

Dream on luddite, you can live in denial but the reality is far different.

The farming and agricultural supply chain has been ramped up to cope with the growing numbers. A lot of western nation's are importing food like never before.

Also the UK in particular can only produce enough food for 50 million at BEST. The rest (15 million or so) has to be imported by boat and truck.

You get one thing throwing a spanner in the works and that'll be a lot of hungry belly's let me tell you.

As it is the world population of 7 billion is nearly double the capacity a planet like this can comfortably handle.

Oh and you try living in the unused space and let me know how you get on.

Most of the population growth happen's in the 3rd world in country's that have been supplied and fed by the west for decades now.

This in turn has led to a boom in baby-making = more mouth's to feed.

Thailand is fortunate to produce it's own food supply BUT most country's in the world don't have that forsight...

no time to read all posts

through all the ups and downs

over the decades

what are the worse things that happened?

and what had the worse impact on expats in thailand?

i too think about these things

but then i think about all the expats that have been there through all of it

and they are still in thailand enjoying it

The past 5 years have actually been a bit rough on Thailand: Military coup, parliament occupation, bombs in the center of Bangkok, prohibit the sale of alcohol from 2-5 pm, airport occupation, fighting in the south, riots, shooting and burnings in the center of Bangkok, our dear friend and warlord Bout arrested and now this lazy flood that is not moving anywhere.

Things could get better...:thumbsup:

except for the week one could not fly to/from Suvarnabhumi and the recent floods what exactly was rough for the average expat living in Thailand?

you find them in Pattaya's Walking Street and Beach Road (after 0200 hours).

The past 5 years have actually been a bit rough on Thailand: Military coup, parliament occupation, bombs in the center of Bangkok, prohibit the sale of alcohol from 2-5 pm, airport occupation, fighting in the south, riots, shooting and burnings in the center of Bangkok, our dear friend and warlord Bout arrested and now this lazy flood that is not moving anywhere.

except for the week one could not fly to/from Suvarnabhumi and the recent floods what exactly was rough for the average expat living in Thailand?

Except for the flooding, airport closures, riots, military coups, parliament occupations, bombs, constant visa changes to get rid of many of us, rising ethnocentrism, rising crime, rising prices, increasing people pollution, etc., what exactly was rough for the average expat living in Thailand? :)

Except for the flooding, airport closures, riots, military coups, parliament occupations, bombs, constant visa changes to get rid of many of us, rising ethnocentrism, rising crime, rising prices, increasing people pollution, etc., what exactly was rough for the average expat living in Thailand? :)

Flooding, not bothered, I have sense not to live on floodable land

Airport closures, not bothered, don't fly much

Military coup + parliament occupation, not bothered, I can't vote, so why should I care which bunch of crooks run the place

Bombs, nobody I know was hurt.

Visa changes, only affects poor fringe foreigners (back to back tourist Visas, Visa on entry)

crime, ethnocentrism, pollution same as when I first came here

Rising prices, very small compared to my native country

With all the complaints about the place, you have, one wonders why you are still here.

Edited by ludditeman

Military coup + parliament occupation, not bothered, I can't vote, so why should I care which bunch of crooks run the place

Visa changes, only affects poor fringe foreigners (back to back tourist Visas, Visa on entry)

With all the complaints about the place, you have, one wonders why you are still here.

I was leaving today, but I am still here because I managed to find a huge pair of rose-colored glasses. They are amazing. Now I can totally ignore and/or minimize any problem and pretend everything is wonderful. :)

[except for the week one could not fly to/from Suvarnabhumi and the recent floods what exactly was rough for the average expat living in Thailand?

I was leaving today, but I am still here because I managed to find a huge pair of rose-colored glasses. They are amazing. Now I can totally ignore and/or minimize any problem and pretend everything is wonderful. :)

Some quotes removed to allow posting.

Excellent reply.

Surely it's ironical of posters to complain about people complaining!

I stay here because I like it more than my overly expensive and PC 'ome country, not because it's perfect.

I'm sure no one would imagine that venting on a forum is going to change anything in LOS, but it's a medical fact that venting is better for one's health than holding it in, and for myself, and I'm sure others, this is the only place we can vent- you think my Thai wife would understand any of this? As a variation on the "if you don't like it here, go home" theme, if you don't like what people write, move on to another thread- no one is forcing you to read it.

Funny how some topics come round again and again...

I can remember posting a couple of years ago how some Westerners get v disillusioned and move elsewhere after only a couple of years, others get past the disillusionment and decide its still better than elsewhere.

To be fair, its only those that have lived here for a short while that have 'rose-coloured' glasses.

You work as a teacher, yet don't know how to use 'losing' in a sentence?

Is 'loosing' even a word?

Bl**dy H*ll....The English police are on patrrol early this morning....:whistling:

I think an English teacher complaining about education priority in Thailand is fair game, don't you?

But not by someone who has to ask if "loosing" is a genuine word

8>< ----------SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ---- ><8

Yes the queen of England speaks an entirely different version of the English Language to those in Brooklyn or Manhattan. She is English and speaks "English" and spells according to the English language. Just as those of the Thai speak thai and not Brooklyn Thai. No I am not English but of Gaelic/Koori decent but I know the difference between English language and American.

One of the reasons I am so comfortable in Thailand is that I can get away with speaking my native tongue

(ayetha''llberightjimmywhasgoanieunerstaundyethen,yeraj?)

more or less, even though the locals have but the merest smattering of the language, and struggle with grammar and vocabulary.

Like any great empire, the English language has had to accept a lot of devolution, and our colonial offspring may drop some vowels, (I'm trying to think of something witty to say about less 'Y's...) and have trunks in the cars instead of boots, but at the end of the day, its probably the easiest language to speak, because we can tolerate so much (you need only venture into England to see that!) which is why it is the lingua franca throughout the globe (lingua franca - that must drive the French berserk...). I reckon the edifying and civilising effect of cricket has a lot to do with it as well. I am sure we would all sleep safer in our beds if Thailand had a decent cricket team...

SC

Ah! Street Cowboy I suspect that you are trying to mislead the august members of this forum; your quotation in your native tongue does not ring true - "yeraj" should in fact be "yaraj" and of course should include the expletive which I imagine you have excluded for PC purposes; it seems more the attempt of someone from outwith the boundaries of the Athens of the North to assimilate the local patois. East Lothian perhaps or even Fife?

Either way you have betrayed your quisling background with your extolling the questionable merits of cricket....

Anybody have an answer why the popular games in the penal colony of Australia are those from English Public Schools?