Are You Scared, Worried, Or Feel Like It'S Pointless To Live In Thailand?

ajarnyai

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really as you can always post your 90 day report to them.

Every time I have been to Immigration nobody has made me feel uncomfortable or unwanted.

Perhaps it is that I wear rose tinted glasses or perhaps it may be because I am polite and pleasant and I mostly have a good attitude and outlook on life.

But that's just me I suppose but I have no need to justify to anybody about my life in Thailand.

I chose it and I will be here until I die and I only whinge a little bit.

Quite right I with you on this " billd " and about extension to stay, I don't really understand how others here find it difficult, good way of keeping scumbags out if you ask me.

To the OP you sound young so I don't think your post applies to a retired person but anyhow :-

Scared ? Only avoiding some of the Mopeds and scooter riders sometimes.

Worried ? As scared, but only if it's their fault but I'm still to blame.

Feel like it's pointless ? Yes !! I don't argue with 5' nothing Thai Mrs.:D

Edited by Kwasaki

Not really as you can always post your 90 day report to them.

Every time I have been to Immigration nobody has made me feel uncomfortable or unwanted.

Perhaps it is that I wear rose tinted glasses or perhaps it may be because I am polite and pleasant and I mostly have a good attitude and outlook on life.

But that's just me I suppose but I have no need to justify to anybody about my life in Thailand.

I chose it and I will be here until I die and I only whinge a little bit.

Quite right I with you on this " billd " and about extension to stay, I don't really understand how others here find it difficult, good way of keeping scumbags out if you ask me.

To the OP you sound young so I don't think your post applies to a retired person but anyhow :-

Scared ? Only avoiding some of the Mopeds and scooter riders sometimes.

Worried ? As scared, but only if it's their fault but I'm still to blame.

Feel like it's pointless ? Yes !! I don't argue with 5' nothing Thai Mrs.:D

If the 90 day policy is in place to keep the " scumbags " out then it's a failure huh?? :crazy:

Also I think you misunderstand the 90 day " Stranger on Deck " policy.

In reality it is a 90 day ATM maintenance check, to ensure that the ATM is still full, operational and dispensing money. Once the ATM breaks down or runs out of money, it is invited to depart the country.

So Majic is correct.

By the way, I cannot stand this scumbag talk......who are you to judge? The vast majority of farang I meet in this country are hard working men, who have either done their shift and retired, or graft for 9 months of the year and take an extended break in the country.

If you think that having enough money in hand to qualify for a residence permit excludes people from being potential scumbags your wrong wrong wrong !!!

I'll take that as a "yes" then?

I'm reminded of the joke about the Bosnian footballer whose family who go through torrid times at home, I'll not bore you with the full story, I'm sure you've all heard it before, but the punch line is

"Well, I blame you, son, for bringing us to Glasgow."

SC

I hope that there are no "scotch" (they just hate being called that) contributors as they might just be irked by the likes of you and me :jap:!!!

I think I'm going to get my apology in first.

"I'm extremely sorry if I've offended you (just kidding!! and I've got my fingers crossed) Ha Ha Ha!!!! By the way I've just discovered how difficult it is to type with your funfets cridder!!!!B).

I ( being Scottish ) don't mind being called " Scotch " by Englishmen, as it just goes to show how ignorant and uneducated some Englishmen can be.

Please note I said " some ".

I'll take that as a "yes" then?

I'm reminded of the joke about the Bosnian footballer whose family who go through torrid times at home, I'll not bore you with the full story, I'm sure you've all heard it before, but the punch line is

"Well, I blame you, son, for bringing us to Glasgow."

SC

I hope that there are no "scotch" (they just hate being called that) contributors as they might just be irked by the likes of you and me :jap:!!!

I think I'm going to get my apology in first.

"I'm extremely sorry if I've offended you (just kidding!! and I've got my fingers crossed) Ha Ha Ha!!!! By the way I've just discovered how difficult it is to type with your funfets cridder!!!!B).

I ( being Scottish ) don't mind being called " Scotch " by Englishmen, as it just goes to show how ignorant and uneducated some Englishmen can be.

Please note I said " some ".

If you think that using 'Scotch' instead of 'Scottish' plumbs the depths of ignorance amongst the English you are sadly and sorely lacking in imagination.

To be honest, I use the word myself, from time to time, for example in the turn of phrase 'rajscotchget'

SC

Where did I mention plumbing the depths???.........next time you try to have a go at me try bringing the rest of your wit with you as you've left half of it at home.

Back on topic though, the OP is obviously unsettled by the current state of affairs in Thailand. I would say that the short term prospects are average at best, it won't stop me and the rest of the Brits coming this winter though. Isn't it strange that the UK , the country that is supposed to be on it's knees, is now looked at as the salvation of the Thai tourist trade this year?

Edited by theblether

Beware those clubs, some, er,... members are less than trustworthy, they tend to be focused on finding clients and aren't always stellar in morals . There's a reporter that is really bringing it all out , but can't link or mention the site on this forum.

I agree I would not return to my home country, it is beyond help, as I knew was coming and I got out while the getting was good- but Thailand is certainly a bait and switch, i.e. safety, ( genuine) welcoming of foreigners, ease to do business, etc..

There are times I truly, er.... I cannot stand the people, collectively, but I love my home and life on Phuket, so, honestly , where else is there?

It is ironic to read your concerns. I am in the process of retiring as a teacher in MInnesota and moving to Pattaya, Thailand. You may not be keeping track of what is going on in the USA, but I can assure you it is much worse than what is going on in Thailand. Millionaires and billionaires pay less percentage tax than teachers and many others and the Republicans think that is OK. Congress refuses to work together on any issue of importance. Many people have lost their jobs and houses. The biggest increase in pay I have ever had in my career was 3%, Education is not supported by states and the federal government. Most kids can no longer afford college and even if they could there cannot find jobs if they do graduate. When New Orleans was flooded the state and federal government totally screwed things up. I can't wait to get to Pattaya! All the guys in the Ex Pat club there that I have talked to love living in Pattaya!

Edited by TigerWan

You may not be keeping track of what is going on in the USA, but I can assure you it is much worse than what is going on in Thailand.

What a load of nonsense. Try asking the vast majority of Thais who are living on a few dollars a day which political system and living conditions are better. :rolleyes:

What about the double "and" in "She's Thai and and..." and the extra "e" in "judgement"?

We done as the first prize you have been awarded another week on your rotation...:D

OK. Let us examine this last attempt to put forward a cognitive sentence.:lol:

What about the double "and" in "She's Thai and and..." and the extra "e" in "judgement"?

We done as the first prize you have been awarded another week on your rotation...:D

Don't see any extra "e" in "Judgement" is this an American spelling thing.

Just maybe the guy learnt how to spell using correct Queens English not some Bastardised USA version.:whistling::cheesy:

What is Queens English? Is it somehow different from Brooklyn English or Manhattan English?

Or perhaps you're a Brit and meant The Queen's English.

PS. What are the smileys for?

Edited by PattaniMan

OK. Let us examine this last attempt to put forward a cognitive sentence.:lol:

I think it's Oil&Gas talk. Normally, when we have a bit of a Deepwater Horizon we'd like to defocus on, we get the microscope on to something else. Let's face it, you don't find a needle in a haystack with a microscope, you find it with your bare feet.

Straying back on topic, at the risk of repetition; apart from flooding, and riots, and airport occupations, and a bureaucracy that might appear unable to act constructively or proactively, and an apparent lack of rule of law, and alleged rip-offs, why would anyone not want to live here. I feel in somewhat of a minority, but we stay here for a bit of stability and the educational opportunities...

SC

Just maybe the guy learnt how to spell using correct Queens English not some Bastardised USA version.:whistling::cheesy:

What is Queens English? Is it somehow different from Brooklyn English or Manhattan English?

Yes the queen of England speaks an entirely different version of the English Language to those in Brooklyn or Manhattan. She is English and speaks "English" and spells according to the English language. Just as those of the Thai speak thai and not Brooklyn Thai. No I am not English but of Gaelic/Koori decent but I know the difference between English language and American.

8>< ----------SNIP NESTED QUOTES DELETED ---- ><8

Yes the queen of England speaks an entirely different version of the English Language to those in Brooklyn or Manhattan. She is English and speaks "English" and spells according to the English language. Just as those of the Thai speak thai and not Brooklyn Thai. No I am not English but of Gaelic/Koori decent but I know the difference between English language and American.

One of the reasons I am so comfortable in Thailand is that I can get away with speaking my native tongue

(ayetha''llberightjimmywhasgoanieunerstaundyethen,yeraj?)

more or less, even though the locals have but the merest smattering of the language, and struggle with grammar and vocabulary.

Like any great empire, the English language has had to accept a lot of devolution, and our colonial offspring may drop some vowels, (I'm trying to think of something witty to say about less 'Y's...) and have trunks in the cars instead of boots, but at the end of the day, its probably the easiest language to speak, because we can tolerate so much (you need only venture into England to see that!) which is why it is the lingua franca throughout the globe (lingua franca - that must drive the French berserk...). I reckon the edifying and civilising effect of cricket has a lot to do with it as well. I am sure we would all sleep safer in our beds if Thailand had a decent cricket team...

SC

One of the reasons I am so comfortable in Thailand is that I can get away with speaking my native tongue

more or less, even though the locals have but the merest smattering of the language, and struggle with grammar and vocabulary.

Like any great empire, the English language has had to accept a lot of devolution, and our colonial offspring may drop some vowels, (I'm trying to think of something witty to say about less 'Y's...) and have trunks in the cars instead of boots, but at the end of the day, its probably the easiest language to speak, because we can tolerate so much (you need only venture into England to see that!) which is why it is the lingua franca throughout the globe (lingua franca - that must drive the French berserk...). I reckon the edifying and civilising effect of cricket has a lot to do with it as well. I am sure we would all sleep safer in our beds if Thailand had a decent cricket team...

SC

The strength of English is that it can absorb and adapt to the times.............unlike Latin

You may not be keeping track of what is going on in the USA, but I can assure you it is much worse than what is going on in Thailand.

What a load of nonsense. Try asking the vast majority of Thais who are living on a few dollars a day which political system and living conditions are better. :rolleyes:

+1

Some of the posts I read about how bad the Western countries are are quite pathetic, people need to get a grip on themselves and stop making stupid " flat earth society " statements.

You obviously know the difference between Queens English and the Queen's English.

SC

The strength of English is that it can absorb and adapt to the times.............unlike Latin

I suppose that is Latin's greatest strength - as I learnt at school

Latin is a dead language

Dead as dead can be.

It killed the ancient Romans

and now it's killing me.

On the Astro listings it says

Heineken Cup

Glasgow (Scotland) v Bath (Great Britain)

Anyway, back to the current digression

Exactly. So Queen's English and Scots and American English, and I suppose Yardy Patois are all equally valid dialects of English.

Like the Chinese, our nation adopted the dialect of the ruling class as our 'official' dialect that is used in legal and government communication, but a few mis-endings, innovative spellings and grammatical eccentricities are not going to render us ambiguated, while we can be, though rarely are, nitpickingly precisely finessed.

Simple also can.

And a lot of Thais speak enough lingua franca that we can live here, whether we're talking pidgin English or talking cock

SC

Which was, in part, my unstated point: the place has become way too similar to what we wanted to get away from!

Thailand is nothing like the place I wanted to get away from (UK)

Crime appears almost non-existent, and prices, you've not been to the UK lately.

:) Crime appears almost non-existent. :) You are wearing a really good pair of rose-colored glasses.

+1

Some of the posts I read about how bad the Western countries are are quite pathetic, people need to get a grip on themselves and stop making stupid " flat earth society " statements.

Hear, hear! :thumbsup:

Which was, in part, my unstated point: the place has become way too similar to what we wanted to get away from!

Crime appears almost non-existent, and prices, you've not been to the UK lately.

:) Crime appears almost non-existent. :) You are wearing a really good pair of rose-colored glasses.

Probably welder's goggles

Nelson saw no crime, either, nor gambling dens - I'd put a fiver on that.

SC

It depends on every individual's situation.

If in your case you are relying on a job to financially sustain yourself in Thailand and that employment is for whatever reason under threat, then things are not looking rosy for you.

I certainly would not settle myself in Thailand, such as make any investments here, become involved with a girl and being totally reliant on a job with no back up as a safety net for if and when the situation changes.

If I was in that position, no, I would not consider having a long-term future in Thailand.

Thailand will never be a completely secure and stable country; situations can turn here either for better or for worse within a moment.

This is Thailand; you either love it or hate it and whether or not foreigners wish to stay must be at their own discretion according to circumstance.

I would love to know which country is "completely safe secure and stable" today ....huh.gif

If in your case you are relying on a job to financially sustain yourself in Thailand and that employment is for whatever reason under threat, then things are not looking rosy for you.

I certainly would not settle myself in Thailand, such as make any investments here, become involved with a girl and being totally reliant on a job with no back up as a safety net for if and when the situation changes.

If I was in that position, no, I would not consider having a long-term future in Thailand.

Thailand will never be a completely secure and stable country; situations can turn here either for better or for worse within a moment.

This is Thailand; you either love it or hate it and whether or not foreigners wish to stay must be at their own discretion according to circumstance.

I would love to know which country is "completely safe secure and stable" today ....huh.gif

Yeah, just think what will happen if you drop the soap in the shower in the Vatican!

Yeah, just think what will happen if you drop the soap in the shower in the Vatican!

Only if your a choir boy course...:whistling:

So let me get this straight. You are from America and you are concerned that the Thai government doesn't care about its citizens and education is not a priority in Thailand. Hmm. Interesting.

Maybe time for a trip home and a reality check.

Maybe in the meantime while you are still here you can google something along the lines of 'U.S. literacy rates' or try 'U.S. Government care of returning army veterans.'

That should keep ya busy for a while

Probably welder's goggles

Nelson saw no crime, either, nor gambling dens - I'd put a fiver on that.

SC

Spotted that too!!, I always wondered why Thai prisons are full to bursting.

Anyway as HM Queen is getting a fair bit of mention here, its been reported today in blighty that she will doing her bit for the Greek financial crisis.

HRH Duke of Edinburgh is to be billed for 64 years back rent.

ph34r.gif

(They were married 20 Nov 1947)

:D :D :D