Yingluck Told To Oust Banharn's Party For Failures To Fight Floods

Lite Beer

Yingluck Told to Oust Banharn's Party For Failures to Fight Floods

93f838c4ee033500dfe5455296b79619.jpg

Chuvit Kamonvisit has advised Yingluck Shinawatra make a post-flooding reshuffle of her cabinet by ejecting the Chat Thai Pattana Party out of the Puea Thai-led coalition government.

Speaking in Voice TV's Hot Topic program on Friday, the Rak Thailand Party leader held the coalition partner, de facto headed by former premier Banharn Silpa-acha, accountable for the devastating flood crisis.

Chuvit suggested the woman leader reshuffle out the Chat Thai Pattana Party, because, he said, the cabinet member attached to Banharn's party and in charge of administering water resources, had allegedly failed to avert the calamitous flooding in the central region and beyond.

He was referring to Agriculture Minister Teera Wongsamut, who has taken charge of the same cabinet portfolio since the time of a previous Abhisit government and has been widely known as one of Banharn's proteges.

''Floodwaters have hit every province along the way from the lower north down to the central region, save for one certain province and everybody knows exactly what province that is,'' said an outspoken Chuvit, apparently referring to Supanburi - Banharn's home constituency.

According to Chuvit, a former deputy leader of Banharn's party, the Chat Thai Pattana Party's agriculture minister, who is responsible for the Irrigation Department, had kept excessive waters brimming at major dams only to wait for farmers in the rice-growing areas, especially those in Supanburi, to reap up their crops.

Following the harvests a few months ago, Teera allegedly had had authorities release large volumes of water only to flood up and wreak havoc to the low terrains, claim more than 500 lives, force millions of people to leave their homes and render hundreds of thousands of others jobless.

The agriculture minister concluded at parliament on Friday the flood crisis was his own fault, albeit without intent. ''Stop saying who was right or who was wrong. If there was anyone to blame, it was me myself....But I'm no Kong Ming who could have forecast the weather so precisely,'' he said sarcastically, referring to China's legendary combat strategist.

Produced by VoiceTV

by Surasak Tumcharoen

http://news.voicetv.co.th/in-english/23177.html

Not even to mention that

those who's harvest got reaped will find much better prices since

so many OTHER harvests were lost and so reduced stock always means higher prices.

Uncle Chewy on the attack!

Go for it Kuhn Chuvit!

Chuwit always has a slightly nuanced and different line in opposition. To date he has been instrumental in forcing out a police chief, and now he doesnt aim at the main party but at the weakest and most vulnerable link in the coalition. He could have a record of one police chief and one coalition partner (or maybe just minister) in the next few weeks. That is quite an achievement for a small opposition party and shows a difference form the other opposition parties who tend to get caught in the big war without ahcieving anything stuff. Chuwit looks to be aiming at what is achievable and building for the future.

You also have to wonder what kind of gossip is doing the rounds in poltical circles too when hearing things like this. And finally although PTP and Dem supporters war over who was more responsible in the floods, the one thing they all agree on is Banharn's role was negative. Wily old politician is our Cuwit

Khun Chuvit, again, is spot on. Not only does this 'party' manage Agriculture but also Sports & Tourism who have done diddly squat other than to protect and beautify their empire in Suphanburi.

Where's the spending on luring tourism to Thailand? Cambodia saw a 100% jump in arrivals year on year; watch CNN, BBC World, Al Jazeera...where's Thailand? Where're the budgets being spent? Khun Chuvit - please ask Minister Chumpon to explain where the multi-million baht budgets have been spent and what returns that expenditure has generated for those in tourism.

Go for it Khun Chuvit!!

Again you can oust whoever you like. The fundamental problem is you still have to find ways to stop 17billion cubic meter monster that opts to visit the Chao Phraya for 7 days or less at least once in 50 years. At least once in 2,500 years this monster will bring its partner of equal size. That makes both of them to be as big as 34billion cubic meter, moving to down stream of Chao Phraya in 7 days.

Theoretically, it is difficult to ensure you can beat all these monsters. Just chose the reasonable size between these two figures. The standard size that most of the cities in the world use is the one that has return frequency at least once in 200 years. I would say for Chao Phraya its intensity is about 20billion cubic meter in 7 days.

Where's the spending on luring tourism to Thailand? Cambodia saw a 100% jump in arrivals year on year; watch CNN, BBC World, Al Jazeera...

This appears to be completely false.

PHNOM PENH, Nov. 7 (Xinhua) -- Foreign tourist arrivals in Cambodia increased 15.6 percent in the first nine months of this year, compared to the same period last year, according to the statistics released by the Ministry of Tourism on Monday.

http://news.xinhuane...c_131233427.htm

Edited by edwardandtubs

Where's the spending on luring tourism to Thailand? Cambodia saw a 100% jump in arrivals year on year; watch CNN, BBC World, Al Jazeera...

This appears to be completely false.

PHNOM PENH, Nov. 7 (Xinhua) -- Foreign tourist arrivals in Cambodia increased 15.6 percent in the first nine months of this year, compared to the same period last year, according to the statistics released by the Ministry of Tourism on Monday.

http://news.xinhuane...c_131233427.htm

I stand corrected....I was referring to an IHT article on Tuesday where it stated 'tourist arrivals increased to more than 2.5m in 2010 from 1m in 2004.' :jap: The point is, Cambodia has been advertising on international channels but TAT hasn't. If it has, I haven't seen it.

Isnt voice TV run by Thaksin's kids?

Some of the Newinites will be hoping this happens, or even could it really happen, the big man himself comes Thundering home outeeling the little man on his way?

Yes, and while some of you Red Shirt fans have been saying that everyone should avoid any politics during the crisis, they are going the exactly opposite direction.

So when Thaksin and his network is working overtime to set up things for his return we can not sit back and not engage it.

First he helps get the police chief thrown out and they replacement him with Thaksin's brother in law, now he goes on Thaksin tv and lays the blame for the flooding away from PTP and on another. That's one way to be successful as the opposition

First he helps get the police chief thrown out and they replacement him with Thaksin's brother in law, now he goes on Thaksin tv and lays the blame for the flooding away from PTP and on another. That's one way to be successful as the opposition

Sort of like kicking out a kindergarden teacher for being 10 minutes late for work, and replacing him with Gary Glitter. It's not really progress at all.

Still, I have to admire his spirit.

Not even to mention that

so many OTHER harvests were lost and so reduced stock always means higher prices.

Go for it Kuhn Chuvit!

Chuwit always has a slightly nuanced and different line in opposition. To date he has been instrumental in forcing out a police chief, and now he doesnt aim at the main party but at the weakest and most vulnerable link in the coalition. He could have a record of one police chief and one coalition partner (or maybe just minister) in the next few weeks. That is quite an achievement for a small opposition party and shows a difference form the other opposition parties who tend to get caught in the big war without ahcieving anything stuff. Chuwit looks to be aiming at what is achievable and building for the future.

You also have to wonder what kind of gossip is doing the rounds in poltical circles too when hearing things like this. And finally although PTP and Dem supporters war over who was more responsible in the floods, the one thing they all agree on is Banharn's role was negative. Wily old politician is our Cuwit

Yes, he's proving much sharper than they've tried to paint him during the elections. He has fought the tough street battles for survival, and there was no small amount of 'politics' in that world. He's learned to knock the legs off the table so it falls on it's own, and grab some change as it goes over, rather than try and grab the kitty off the top and get shot in the trying. Also he seems to store up favors for future use.

Again you can oust whoever you like. The fundamental problem is you still have to find ways to stop 17billion cubic meter monster that opts to visit the Chao Phraya for 7 days or less at least once in 50 years. At least once in 2,500 years this monster will bring its partner of equal size. That makes both of them to be as big as 34billion cubic meter, moving to down stream of Chao Phraya in 7 days.

Theoretically, it is difficult to ensure you can beat all these monsters. Just chose the reasonable size between these two figures. The standard size that most of the cities in the world use is the one that has return frequency at least once in 200 years. I would say for Chao Phraya its intensity is about 20billion cubic meter in 7 days.

But you can keel haul those that make those visits needlessly worse for the majority of people.

I'm not taking sides on this so don't get me wrong. On one hand there's the farmers who need water from the reservoirs for a second crop, and since Thailand is usually the number one exporter of rice, it's a big deal. Then if the irrigation department guesses wrong about the rainfall in September-October all hell breaks loose down stream from the dams that have to open to keep from failing. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes. We experienced just that scenario six years ago in Chiang Mai only to a much lesser degree to what's going on in BKK now. Either there needs to be a means to direct flood waters around urban areas as in Los Angeles and more recently Kuala Lumpur or the managers of the dams need to exercise more discretion and favor the urban areas over the rice farmers. I don't think there's a simple solution.

Excellent analysis.

However:

Hmm, a secret agenda or are his actions having unintended results?

At least once in 2,500 years this monster will bring its partner of equal size. That makes both of them to be as big as 34billion cubic meter, moving to down stream of Chao Phraya in 7 days.

I agree altogether. And in my recent work with US city planners they also refer to the roadside ditches as able to handle a "50 year storm" (meaning one that happens every fifty years or so). The climate change loonies on both sides of the fence often neglect to ask such planners what they think is going on. A city planner at one of the largest cities in Virginia told me in 1998 "we built the ditches for 50-year storms, but fifty year storms are now happening every seven years or so." Being a data geek, I asked to see the figures. They were based on over 200 years of records, which had remained consistent until the last two decades.

Everyone is arguing about what causes climate change. Fewer every year are arguing about its existence..

I come from a city in the US called Flood City, Johnstown, Pennsylvania. We dug our two confluent rivers way down, and had 65 foot flood walls. In 1979 a stalled thunderstorm overcame the barriers in eleven hours. Geologic records show that such a flood in my now much-smaller hometown should occur there every 3,000 years or so. The gap between the last instance and the one in 1979 was less than a thousand years (yes, I know correlation does not prove causation, but globally such freak weather is several orders of magnitude more common worldwide than twenty years ago)..

I must be the master of disaster. I have been in three major floods, including Thailand, four hurricanes, and one multiple tornado strike. If Mother Nature is trying to take me out, the wench keeps missing the mark.wink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gif (one wink per survival point)

At least once in 2,500 years this monster will bring its partner of equal size. That makes both of them to be as big as 34billion cubic meter, moving to down stream of Chao Phraya in 7 days.

I agree altogether. And in my recent work with US city planners they also refer to the roadside ditches as able to handle a "50 year storm" (meaning one that happens every fifty years or so). The climate change loonies on both sides of the fence often neglect to ask such planners what they think is going on. A city planner at one of the largest cities in Virginia told me in 1998 "we built the ditches for 50-year storms, but fifty year storms are now happening every seven years or so." Being a data geek, I asked to see the figures. They were based on over 200 years of records, which had remained consistent until the last two decades.

Everyone is arguing about what causes climate change. Fewer every year are arguing about its existence..

I come from a city in the US called Flood City, Johnstown, Pennsylvania. We dug our two confluent rivers way down, and had 65 foot flood walls. In 1979 a stalled thunderstorm overcame the barriers in eleven hours. Geologic records show that such a flood in my now much-smaller hometown should occur there every 3,000 years or so. The gap between the last instance and the one in 1979 was less than a thousand years (yes, I know correlation does not prove causation, but globally such freak weather is several orders of magnitude more common worldwide than twenty years ago)..

I must be the master of disaster. I have been in three major floods, including Thailand, four hurricanes, and one multiple tornado strike. If Mother Nature is trying to take me out, the wench keeps missing the mark.wink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gifwink.gif (one wink per survival point)

Point taken & well understood.

I'm just wonder......just imagine they didn't dig up the rivers and didn't build up the 65 foot walls and you were right there when once in 3,000 years visitor paid it visit. Do you think the number of winks remains the same?:D

Poor Thailand. It has lost 500+ good citizens when once in 50 years visitor paid its visit. Statistically, I would say, over the next 3,000 years this visitor will take at least 30,000 lives of good Thais. But then, the statistic will never remain the same if the Thais opt to welcome the visitor the way that Flood City did.

There might have been some of these cubic meters of water drained into the ocean since you last checked, though.

There might have been some of these cubic meters of water drained into the ocean since you last checked, though.

Yes. That is why only around 8-9 billion cubic meter is still hanging around.

She can't even take responsability for her own and her parties actions. So, lame. So childish.

You are confused. The Agriculture Minister is from a different party and he toolk responsibility for the misjudgement at the dam(s). The PM will decide what to do once the crisis draws to an end. At this time, Thailand has a historic first where a minister has taken responsibility for a problem.

Not even to mention that

Go for it Kuhn Chuvit!

Unfortunately, a large portion of the harvest was lost as 35 warehouses were flooded. Sorry, but your conspiracy theory that those who harvested are in for windfall profits is just that a farang fabrication.

The rice industry will bounce back by next harvest in 2 months. Hardly a crisis.

I suggest you go and read what the Thai Rice Exporters Assoc. has to say;

.Strong output from the northern provinces is likely to offset the flood-damaged rice crop, easing fears that Thailand could face a supply shortfall later this year.According to Korbsook Iamsuri, the president of the Thai Rice Exporters Association, output of both fragrant Hom Mali paddy and white paddy rice harvested in the Northeast is expected to rise at least 20% from the previous season.The growth was attributed to proper water and high paddy prices set by the rice pledging programme that began earlier this month.The Northeast region, where 33 million rai have been used to plant the main rice crop, produced 11 million tonnes of paddy last year.Our preliminary reports show that rice productivity in the area will record a historic high," Mrs Korbsook said.This would overcome speculation that the country could suffer a rice shortage over the next two months due to many rice fields having been deluged.

http://www.thairiceexporters.or.th/Int%20news/News_2011/int_news_281011-1.html

People are too quick to paint things negatively. Yes, rice paddys were damaged, yes inventories were lost, but rice is one of those products that bounces back quickly after flooding.

You are confused. The Agriculture Minister is from a different party and he toolk responsibility for the misjudgement at the dam(s). The PM will decide what to do once the crisis draws to an end. At this time, Thailand has a historic first where a minister has taken responsibility for a problem.

Cabinet positions are solely at the discretion of the PM, she can kick anyone out without asking, just as her party is not obliged to keep Chart Thai in the coalition. CT has only the right to be MPs, nothing else.

Chavalit and his entire government resigned in 1997 for mishandling the baht.

Theera hasn't accepted any responsibility yet, he only admitted issuing orders that were reported in Thai press anyway. Only a few days ago his de-facto boss Banharn was confident Theera's seat was as safe as ever.

Unfortunately, a large portion of the harvest was lost as 35 warehouses were flooded. Sorry, but your conspiracy theory that those who harvested are in for windfall profits is just that a farang fabrication.

The rice industry will bounce back by next harvest in 2 months. Hardly a crisis.

... end removed

This makes me wonder how the 'rice pledging' scheme works. If a farmer pledged his crop and delivered, he should get the price. Whatever happened after delivery is not his problem :ermm:

The scheme kicked off only in October and in the first week it registered only 6 odd thousand farmers.

Assuming farmers already delivered and AFTER 35 warehouses flooded, who bears the financial burden, independent of a 'rice pledging' scheme :ermm: