Scary If Coming True

What a load of old tosh!

Let me tell you a little story, give you my conclusions, which you have to agree are right and then buy some my lovelly books on how to get rich quick( with no guarantee- investments can go up or down, previous performance cannot be taken for granted etc etc.)

In summary of a long and tedious video:

The US Dollar is losing its importance as a global currency and is falling in value. America is ludicrously indebted, and is going to face a financial crisis.

The four solutions are:

(1) Move your accounts offshore

(2) Buy lots of gold and silver and put it offshore

(3) Follow some unspecified strategy to make lots of money. (I'm guessing it's option writing based upon what is said.)

(4) Buy some mysterious asset that's owned by some very wealthy people (land? property?)

Subscribe to his newsletter to find out what he's talking about.

Edited by AyG

The basis of his theory is correct: the US (and the UK, Europe and many other counties) have borrowed insane amounts of money and haven't a hope in hell of ever paying it all off. In fact, with one or two notable exceptions, they aren't even trying to pay it off or reduce the debt. They are just borrowing more and more and more. That will certainly all end in tears; it can NEVER work.

Sadly from that firm footing he then goes on talk about the German Mark (which ceased to exist 10 years ago) and how the US is the only country that doesn't have to worry about buying foreign goods because it can print USD to pay for them.

I gave up before I got to the gold part, though I could guess it was coming. It always does.

The magic beans are presumably part of his newsletter subscription.

I agree with all comments here and posted the link prior to seeing the finish. I would never invest with that firm or buy his crap. However the point of the post was to just think if the dollar was not the world currency. The facts which has happened what he said was true and could very well see that possibility. I am retired, investor, about to move to Thailand living off my dollar pensions. Needless to say I am not saying the sky is falling but the dollar sure has among other currency.

I agree with all comments here and posted the link prior to seeing the finish. I would never invest with that firm or buy his crap. However the point of the post was to just think if the dollar was not the world currency. The facts which has happened what he said was true and could very well see that possibility. I am retired, investor, about to move to Thailand living off my dollar pensions. Needless to say I am not saying the sky is falling but the dollar sure has among other currency.

The old adage is true, dont put all your eggs in one basket. About 18 months ago I moved some of my europeon investments to this part of the world, still have some in Europe but a lucky move for me. I also am retired and have been an investor but am now more caustious. There is only one stock I would currently look at in the UK Standard Life, last night 203p, they are paying about 13% dividends which makes it look attractive to me, maybe I will think about it. You are right to look at the dollar, I think I would look at alternatives as well. Not sure that Bush should get all the blame for the economic decline been going on a for a while now and what really keeps it going is the military spending, something they will find difficult to stop.

How on earth did we elect people to get us into this mess, a mess that is all over the western world, did they not see what was happening? If it was coming out of their own pockets they sure would!

ITS EASY TO SPEND OTHER PEOPLES MONEY.

Good luck with your investments.

Why blame just governments? Governments were mostly reflecting individual greed and individual's 'live now, pay later' philosophy. Would anyone have voted for political groups who had promised restraint or modest austerity 10 years ago? We got the politicians we asked for.

Anybody remember what happen to the American economy after the 1997 Asian Financial crisis?

Yeah, right the economy was good as investors was seeking safer investments, which they got in the US, at least until NASDAQ went belly up in April 2000.

Now, if the European Central Bank start printing money and the Chinese housing bubble burst, where should a savvy investor go? Buy a banana farm in Venezuela or blue chip stocks on Wall Street?

The Dollar is not dead yet.:jap:

The old adage is true, dont put all your eggs in one basket. About 18 months ago I moved some of my europeon investments to this part of the world, still have some in Europe but a lucky move for me. I also am retired and have been an investor but am now more caustious. There is only one stock I would currently look at in the UK Standard Life, last night 203p, they are paying about 13% dividends which makes it look attractive to me, maybe I will think about it. You are right to look at the dollar, I think I would look at alternatives as well. Not sure that Bush should get all the blame for the economic decline been going on a for a while now and what really keeps it going is the military spending, something they will find difficult to stop.

How on earth did we elect people to get us into this mess, a mess that is all over the western world, did they not see what was happening? If it was coming out of their own pockets they sure would!

i dont disagree about standard life as a reasonably good (and also pretty safe) investment but i think you need to check your yield calculation; the company paid an interim divi of 4.6p (net) for the half year to 6/11 and the market consensus is for them to pay a final divi of 9.05p for the year to 12/11 so a total of 13.65p for 2011 ,giving a yield of 6.7% at a 203p share price.

i dont disagree about standard life as a reasonably good (and also pretty safe) investment but i think you need to check your yield calculation; the company paid an interim divi of 4.6p (net) for the half year to 6/11 and the market consensus is for them to pay a final divi of 9.05p for the year to 12/11 so a total of 13.65p for 2011 ,giving a yield of 6.7% at a 203p share price.

You wont get that sort of return at the bank or many other places at the moment, so I would reckon 6.7% is pretty good, that was my point if any one has any spare cash(:unsure: )

You wont get that sort of return at the bank or many other places at the moment, so I would reckon 6.7% is pretty good, that was my point if any one has any spare cash(:unsure: )

i think you are right on that and you prompted me to just buy a few!

dividends are only paid if the corporation makes profit. there are bonds of British banks (Tier 1) which pay interest only if the bank makes profit. but interest in arrears is cumulative (example below) and paid in full once the financial institution makes profit again.

one example: HBOS - Bank of Scotland (Lloyds Banking Group), rating A2, denomination GBP, maturity undated, price 67, coupon 7.286% = yield 10.875% p.a. / ISIN code XS0125681345

conclusion: out there are many mothers who have daughters with big boobs :jap:

dividends are only paid if the corporation makes profit. there are bonds of British banks (Tier 1) which pay interest only if the bank makes profit. but interest in arrears is cumulative (example below) and paid in full once the financial institution makes profit again.

one example: HBOS - Bank of Scotland (Lloyds Banking Group), rating A2,

True enough, but if HBOS collapses (which it probably wont but who knows?) the first people to loose everything would be holders of those PIBs.

And indeed one need look no further than Bristol and West for confirmation.

one example: HBOS - Bank of Scotland (Lloyds Banking Group), rating A2, denomination GBP, maturity undated, price 67, coupon 7.286% = yield 10.875% p.a. / ISIN code XS0125681345

conclusion: out there are many mothers who have daughters with big boobs :jap:

i agree Naam and i also own the HBOS bond you mention plus some other LLOY hybrid capital, and i have added to some of them this week since LLOY announced (with the 3q results) that they would start to pay dividends again on the suspended hybrids from Jan 2012.

Edited by wordchild

one example: HBOS - Bank of Scotland (Lloyds Banking Group), rating A2,

True enough, but if HBOS collapses (which it probably wont but who knows?) the first people to loose everything would be holders of those PIBs.

Bristol and West was a mortgage bank. it did not collapse but stopped allocating mortgages after heavy losses during the 2008 crisis and sold in the meantime its mortgage business to a building society (forgot the name). its Tier 1 creditors, as well as others, were cheated by the Bank of Ireland (which took over B&W) with the help of the Irish Government which took over Bank of Ireland and changed legislation to make the cheating "legal" :bah:

i agree Naam and i also own the HBOS bond you mention plus some other LLOY hybrid capital, and i have added to some of them this week since LLOY announced (with the 3q results) that they would start to pay dividends again on the suspended hybrids from Jan 2012.

i don't own HBOS but to the best of my knowledge the T1 i mentioned is current with its interest payments.

that is not correct as the HBOS T1 has a "cumulative clause".

Worldchild, I think you have made a good call, mine a Leo!:D

Naam, the bonds of which you speak is not my area of expertise, so I wont get involved in something I know nothing about so I bow to your superior knowledge in this area.:jap: .

Too old to go there now!

i don't own HBOS but to the best of my knowledge the T1 i mentioned is current with its interest payments.

that one is but some of the other (former HBOS prefs) are not paying as part of the financial assistance deal between LLOY and the EU, they will now start to pay from Jan 31st

Edited by wordchild

Bristol and West was a mortgage bank. it did not collapse but stopped allocating mortgages after heavy losses during the 2008 crisis and sold in the meantime its mortgage business to a building society (forgot the name). its Tier 1 creditors, as well as others, were cheated by the Bank of Ireland (which took over B&W) with the help of the Irish Government which took over Bank of Ireland and changed legislation to make the cheating "legal" :bah:

I dont think it makes a lot of difference how they lost the money, but there's a shed-load of owners of B&W PIBS who are pretty annoyed, and apparently wont be getting much more than a few pence in the pound if that.

And when you look at how LloydsTSB (a fairly robust bank at the time) was made an offer they couldn't refuse by Gordon Brown to take on HBOS, which all but destroyed them, it makes me wonder about what could happen in the future, especially as the UK government has clearly announced that it wont be so quick to support collapsing banks from now on.

At least the 85K deposit protection is unlikely to be swept under the carpet by the government, as it would annoy a lot of voters.

I suspect the above is why the HBOS PIBS have a coupon worth 10.875% when one would be lucky to get an insured 4.8% elsewhere, or barely 2% in gilts. There's usually a reason.

I suspect the above is why the HBOS PIBS have a coupon worth 10.875% when one would be lucky to get an insured 4.8% elsewhere, or barely 2% in gilts. There's usually a reason.

that there is a reason goes without saying. only a fool would deny that. it all boils down to "low risk = low yield, high risk = high yield".

by the way, HBOS is not an isolated case. fact is that T1 bonds (USD, EUR, GBP) generally yield nowadays nearly or in excess of double digits.

I dont think it makes a lot of difference how they lost the money, but there's a shed-load of owners of B&W PIBS who are pretty annoyed, and apparently wont be getting much more than a few pence in the pound if that.

it makes a lot of difference when looking at the jurisdiction or the financial background of the country before entering high risk assets. and it makes a lot of difference whether a seasoned investor risks 10% of his capital at a high risk/reward ratio or an ignorant/misinformed greedy newbie pours all his live savings into a risky asset.

Edited by Naam

I think the problem that started the US dollar downfall was those easy loans which approved so many loans which people could not afford, the bankers knew it, the government knew it but all a house of a deck of cards which fell very quickly. The fed has made things worse by printing more money. Obama as followed the European lead in welfare socialist ideas which can not last. You are right, look for good dividends high cap stocks to play. However, cash is king and I do not trust the market anywhere for any kind of long term investment. Keeping a large amount in baht, yen, might be the safest bet now if the dollar is no longer the world's reserve. Good luck to you also and I have to admit with all the problems going on with the Euro, I am maybe not surprised why it has not crashed because that possible new world order is propping it up and getting rid of dollars. Peace.