Watching People Snap In Thailand

WebBangkok

I am African and I am called "farang" all the time...;) ....so guess that throws your theroy out the door....

RESPONSE

Possibly to people who know you were raised in the west; however to people who look at you and never hear you talk you are not a "falang." You are "dam," or "khon dam."

END

Apologies: quotes buggered up.

I suppose that would depend on his colour. Most of the Africans I know would be farang. .

SC

EDIT: My apologies to those of you who are incensed by the irrelevance of this digression to the topic of the thread; I could not think of any way to tie it back on topic. I can only hope that you do not explode in a blood-vessel-bursting apoplexy of rage.

Edited by StreetCowboy

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am African and I am called "farang" all the time...;) ....so guess that throws your theroy out the door....

Possibly to people who know you were raised in the west; however to people who look at you and never hear you talk you are not a "falang." You are "dam," or "khon dam."

A lot of Thais do use 'falang' to mean foreigner in general. It's overwhelmingly used to mean Caucasian (and not necessarily western). So you're both right. Whatever, you'll both need to hop on one leg next door to get a photocopy of page #27 of your passport. Yes, the blank page.

:)

Edited by Heng

I snapped a few months back at a Truemove shop in Big C. The story is too long but after months of bad service from them, threw a paper at one of the staff and told them to f#@# themselves. Really feel ashamed of what I did and won't step foot back in that store ermm.gif Actually I don't really feel bad. They were really embarrassing my girlfriend and I over a mistake they made and wouldn't admit to. Talking loudly so everyone could hear and saying how we don't know anything and refusing to help. Well, actually I wish I threw the paper at the person, told them to f#@# themselves and then dropkicked them. Yeah, I feel better now rolleyes.gif

I snapped a few months back at a Truemove shop in Big C. The story is too long but after months of bad service from them, threw a paper at one of the staff and told them to f#@# themselves. Really feel ashamed of what I did and won't step foot back in that store ermm.gif Actually I don't really feel bad. They were really embarrassing my girlfriend and I over a mistake they made and wouldn't admit to. Talking loudly so everyone could hear and saying how we don't know anything and refusing to help. Well, actually I wish I threw the paper at the person, told them to f#@# themselves and then dropkicked them. Yeah, I feel better now rolleyes.gif

My sympathies, but such behavior by True seems abnormal for Thais. Perhaps they've dealt w/ too many idiot farangs? I dunno (and don't really want to know the details, they don't matter) but it appears you may have escalated the situation unreasonably by Thai standards.

I don't defend Thai standards but have just found it less frustrating to follow them since I live in Thailand.

Nor am I a Thai apologist or wannabe. Yet, truth is, in many cases, the Thais are actually (shock!) right about some rule or policy or fact that the farang disagrees with or doesn't understand. In other cases, the Thais have the right or power to perform some action--or not--that the farang doesn't like, such as a metered taxi driver in Pattaya refusing to turn on his meter.

What would the civilized Thai consumer usually do? There can be memorable exceptions of course, but displays of temper, ranting, yelling, throwing things are perceived as childish and as unwarranted bad manners that create bad will. It's just Asia 101. I guess most of us know that.

Being more polite than the Thai who's annoying you is often an effective tactic, commonly used by Thais themselves. Admittedly, it's sometimes difficult, even torturous, to do.

I lost my temper often enough when I first moved to Asia. Looking back, I see that was self-defeating, and I feel a bit embarrassed. Now I credit living in Asia with teaching me to handle trying situations here and abroad with much more (if hardly perfect) equanimity. And that, at least, has been all to the good.

My sympathies, but such behavior by True seems abnormal for Thais. Perhaps they've dealt w/ too many idiot farangs? I dunno (and don't really want to know the details, they don't matter) but it appears you may have escalated the situation unreasonably by Thai standards.

I don't defend Thai standards but have just found it less frustrating to follow them since I live in Thailand.

Nor am I a Thai apologist or wannabe. Yet, truth is, in many cases, the Thais are actually (shock!) right about some rule or policy or fact that the farang disagrees with or doesn't understand. In other cases, the Thais have the right or power to perform some action--or not--that the farang doesn't like, such as a metered taxi driver in Pattaya refusing to turn on his meter.

What would the civilized Thai consumer usually do? There can be memorable exceptions of course, but displays of temper, ranting, yelling, throwing things are perceived as childish and as unwarranted bad manners that create bad will. It's just Asia 101. I guess most of us know that.

Being more polite than the Thai who's annoying you is often an effective tactic, commonly used by Thais themselves. Admittedly, it's sometimes difficult, even torturous, to do.

I lost my temper often enough when I first moved to Asia. Looking back, I see that was self-defeating, and I feel a bit embarrassed. Now I credit living in Asia with teaching me to handle trying situations here and abroad with much more (if hardly perfect) equanimity. And that, at least, has been all to the good.

I don't know how many idiots in general they deal with each day, but I've come to find out that the people working at Truemove don't have a clue as to what they're doing when it comes to promotions and helping with phone problems. To me it was a matter of if I complained, would this person be dealt with appropriately? No way, so I had to take matters into my own hands. So I cursed at them and tried to give them a paper cut by throwing a paper at them. I was unsuccessful but I tried! Yeah looking back on it it was childish but hey, I have a breaking point too. Anyways, I went to a different True shop a few hours later and they admitted they were wrong and gave me a full refund and got me a new sim. That's all I want. I want you to admit you're wrong and give me what I deserve. If they don't admit it, that's fine, but don't try to make me look like an idiot. I don't care if we're in Thailand, Mexico, or the United States, just be fair and honest.

Bought an ipad from true the other day, when payment was due I handed the girl my credit card, she said I should go to an ATM and pay her in cash. I asked why, she said "mai saduak", "not convenient."

For whom, I asked, as it was quite inconvenient for me to go to an atm and carry a large amount of cash down the street. I insisted on using the card and they accepted it in the end.

I didn't "snap," but could not believe the words and attitude coming from someone trying to sell something for a thousand dollars :blink:

What's amusing are the instances of folks blowing up at waitstaff and sometimes yelling out to the cook in the back kitchen BEFORE their food is served. Have seen way to many disgusting things happen in the kitchen in restaurants to ever be abusive towards these folks. Now hardware stores are another issue entirely... I've gotten loud a few times in my younger days when I first got here and thought I owned the place. I'd even sometimes do a dual Thai and English soundtrack. I've cooled down since though, life's too good and it's not worth developing cancer cells over insignificant people and their quirks.

On the waitstaff issue, oh my yes.

The funniest blow up I saw was an apparently German (from the accent) tourist. Middle aged plus wife, and apparently first time to asia. The argument had apparently being going on for some time, as the mans voice was quite raised, yelling at the waiter.

The man was yelling, pointing at the menu, saying "I ordered this: the fried noodles beef/chicken/pork/prawns", and the waiter saying yes, yes, thats what you got. To which the tourist screamed, "I can see the beef, but where is the chicken, where are the prawns, where is the pork".....

Sadly, the waiter could not dredge up the word "or", and in the end took the plate of food back to the kitchen where it was subsequently readjusted to be fried noodles with beef.... and chicken........ and pork..... and prawns.....

To this day I still shudder wondering what kitchen leavings were scraped into that dish.

What's amusing are the instances of folks blowing up at waitstaff and sometimes yelling out to the cook in the back kitchen BEFORE their food is served. Have seen way to many disgusting things happen in the kitchen in restaurants to ever be abusive towards these folks. Now hardware stores are another issue entirely... I've gotten loud a few times in my younger days when I first got here and thought I owned the place. I'd even sometimes do a dual Thai and English soundtrack. I've cooled down since though, life's too good and it's not worth developing cancer cells over insignificant people and their quirks.

On the waitstaff issue, oh my yes.

The funniest blow up I saw was an apparently German (from the accent) tourist. Middle aged plus wife, and apparently first time to asia. The argument had apparently being going on for some time, as the mans voice was quite raised, yelling at the waiter.

The man was yelling, pointing at the menu, saying "I ordered this: the fried noodles beef/chicken/pork/prawns", and the waiter saying yes, yes, thats what you got. To which the tourist screamed, "I can see the beef, but where is the chicken, where are the prawns, where is the pork".....

Sadly, the waiter could not dredge up the word "or", and in the end took the plate of food back to the kitchen where it was subsequently readjusted to be fried noodles with beef.... and chicken........ and pork..... and prawns.....

To this day I still shudder wondering what kitchen leavings were scraped into that dish.

I never complain when the wrong thai dish is sent out. I have discovered some excellent new foods this way :D

waiters have to pay for the making the mistake or so Im told. seems a bit unfair, this goes for beer as well

I've snapped or at least said something, when waiting in the que at the local post office, and you are the next person to be served, (waiting several minutes) and a Thai barges in line in front of you to get service. I pushed him aside, and pointed to the take a number stand and wait his turn. Oh and one other time was when in my car waiting for diesel, I was next to be served again, when the car in front of me moved out of the way, a Thai woman rode in on her scooter, and started to fill up, I got out of the car, and pushed her motorcy out of the way and told her (yelled) to wait her turn, she just had a blank look on her face, like I am only a farang, what was the matter.:angry:

I won't go into driving in Thailand, that is a lost cause LOL ;)

Edited by PingManDan

I used to snap in 7 when some rude (male usual) prick walks in and starts barking orders at the gal when she is dealing with me.

Nowadays if I am lucky enough to get 'mr impatient' right behind me I make a point of taking as long as possible to finish, dropping coins, asking for additional things, returning things and so on.

Getting off the bts I tend to have a go at the buffalos (farang and thai) who are worried the train will magically runaway if they step off to let people out. The big purse gals are my favorite, followed closely by bb chatters and book readers.

What's amusing are the instances of folks blowing up at waitstaff and sometimes yelling out to the cook in the back kitchen BEFORE their food is served. Have seen way to many disgusting things happen in the kitchen in restaurants to ever be abusive towards these folks.

When we were at uni my friend got a part time job at Pizza Hut in Norwich, England. All I can say is if there was the slightest chance you ate there circa 1986 I certainly hope if you complained you were polite about it. :D

Working in hospitality in Bangkok on occasion I had the chance to witness a few breakdowns. Once in the restaurant two westerners were being offered the menus and as the waiter presented the wine menu this boorish oaf (fat, sweaty bald bastard wearing, of all things, a cravat) boomed out "DID I ASK FOR THE WINE MENU BOY? DID I? DID ? DID I?" until the whole restaurant was looking at him.

Another time at the front desk a bloke was checking in with his Thai wife and, on being asked to present a credit card as a guarantee, went off at the deep end. I went over to assist as he could be heard across the entire lobby. He shouted " I've stayed in every 5 star hotel in the world and nobody has ever asked for my credit card!" As I commenced to politely explain our policy he grabbed his bags from the bellboy and stormed out with his wife trailing along behind.

I have to admire front line staff in hotels. The <deleted> they have to put up with sometimes for a pretty basic salary.

Was that the one on Tombland?

I wouldn't leave my credit card as a 'guarantee' here either. But I wouldn't throw a fit over it. I'd simply make a sharp exit.

What's amusing are the instances of folks blowing up at waitstaff and sometimes yelling out to the cook in the back kitchen BEFORE their food is served. Have seen way to many disgusting things happen in the kitchen in restaurants to ever be abusive towards these folks.

When we were at uni my friend got a part time job at Pizza Hut in Norwich, England. All I can say is if there was the slightest chance you ate there circa 1986 I certainly hope if you complained you were polite about it. :D

Working in hospitality in Bangkok on occasion I had the chance to witness a few breakdowns. Once in the restaurant two westerners were being offered the menus and as the waiter presented the wine menu this boorish oaf (fat, sweaty bald bastard wearing, of all things, a cravat) boomed out "DID I ASK FOR THE WINE MENU BOY? DID I? DID ? DID I?" until the whole restaurant was looking at him.

Another time at the front desk a bloke was checking in with his Thai wife and, on being asked to present a credit card as a guarantee, went off at the deep end. I went over to assist as he could be heard across the entire lobby. He shouted " I've stayed in every 5 star hotel in the world and nobody has ever asked for my credit card!" As I commenced to politely explain our policy he grabbed his bags from the bellboy and stormed out with his wife trailing along behind.

I have to admire front line staff in hotels. The <deleted> they have to put up with sometimes for a pretty basic salary.

I wouldn't leave my credit card as a 'guarantee' here either. But I wouldn't throw a fit over it. I'd simply make a sharp exit.

You dont "leave" your CC....its swiped and an amount is blocked against the number of night your staying, pretty much standard all over the world, dont stay in hotels much do you ?

Edited by Soutpeel

I always come close to snapping when at the supermarket the Indian lady at the checkout looks completely confused when the check out chick asks for the money, only then does she start rummaging in her bag for her purse followed by more rummaging looking for the exact 3 bht at the bottom of her bag and then asks her husband who starts going through his pockets....good grief :rolleyes:

You dont "leave" your CC....its swiped and an amount is blocked against the number of night your staying, pretty much standard all over the world, dont stay in hotels much do you ?

PH opposite the Bell Pub mate.

And SP is entirely correct in his explanation. Although some of the guests coming up with an indignant "Don't you trust me?" etc got to be chore on occasion.

Edited by mca