Newly Qualified Tefl Teacher

phuturatica

Hi there, I live in Bangkok and I'm a newly qualified TEFL teacher with no experience in teaching. I'm not actually planning on looking for a job straight away however I was wondering what are the best tips for gaining confidence in teaching? Am I better off offering free lessons to my Thai boyfriend and other Thai friends or should I start off with some one-to-one tutoring for a rather cheap price and gain confidence that way? Or are there any sort of volunteering vacancies in the BKK area where I could do it unpaid? I'm quite confident with all the knowledge I have gained from doing my TEFL, however I definitely need to build up my confidence in the actual teaching part! Anyone got any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance!

If you are qualified, then I don't think you need to sell yourself short. Check at one of the language schools and pick up some part time work. They don't pay a lot to begin with.

As your grasp of teaching grows, so will your confidence. The big issue is to not get overwhelmed with too many hours, too many classes and too many students.

Best of luck.

If you are qualified, then I don't think you need to sell yourself short. Check at one of the language schools and pick up some part time work. They don't pay a lot to begin with.

As your grasp of teaching grows, so will your confidence. The big issue is to not get overwhelmed with too many hours, too many classes and too many students.

Best of luck.

Cheers for this advice, I guess you're right - I just need to not sell myself short!

Volunteer at a local school's English program! You can learn more, gain more confidence and even have a letter of recommendation! Good luck!

Also, they are not lowering the standards in government schools. They will take someone who has no teacher credential, but will take the certificated person first. The news out that Phuket lowered their standards was a "bad" headline as, in the article itself, it states that they need 100 certificated teachers, not TEFL certified!

Anyse

Just remember you don't have a work permit or valid visa to work in any shape or form or your own registered business/school to offer private lessons. Anything you do offer other than having fun with your friends will be illegal work.

As someone said go to a language school they are used to new teachers. It's a start and they will sort out your work permit/visa.

Some off-topic, inflammatory posts have been removed as well as a post with a quote in it. This site is for and about teaching in Thailand. Anti-teaching rants aren't tolerated.

Further such comments will result in a posting suspensions.

• 3 weeks later...

To the OP, as long as you remain discreet with regard to teaching privately, you have nothing to worry about. Confidence comes with practice. It's a pity you're in Bangkok otherwise I would have taken you under my wing at my language center.

Anyway, being female, we do have distinct advantages over our male counterparts purely because 'female' teachers are hard to find. I started out teaching with just a basic intense Tefl Cert and that's all. I have been successfully running my own language school for almost five years, I work 2 and a half days a week and I make four or five times what teflers earn in a year. So to all the nay sayers out there 'knickers' :D:lol:

I am probably one of a few that came here with next to nothing but will walk away from here with a considerable amount of savings!

Edited by jingjingna

I graduate in the middle of May and plan on going to Thailand in June on a tourist visa. I will have an education degree and want to work in a government school in BKK. Since they will have already started, will it be likely that I will get hired? If not in BKK i would be willing to relocate anywhere else as long as I get a visa to work there.

You may be able to find work, but it will not be as easy as if you were here earlier. Is there a reason you want to be at a gov't school?

It's not the best idea to limit your options if you are looking at a late starting date.

You may be able to find work, but it will not be as easy as if you were here earlier. Is there a reason you want to be at a gov't school?

It's not the best idea to limit your options if you are looking at a late starting date.

Government schools just seem like an easier way to secure work to me.