Used Washing Machine?

bluekite

Time to get a washing machine. My missus says it must be a front loading one, which turns out to be more than double the price of the top loading variety. So far we've found a new one for B13,000 which is a bit steep IMO, so i'm wondering where we might find a used one in decent condition for a reasonable price? We're in Sathorn district and can pick it up in a tuk-tuk i guess. Is there another forum - or a section on this one - where these sorts of items come up for sale?

Cheers

Dom

In the past decade, I've had 3 front loading washing machines provided by landlords. I've replaced each of them with top loaders at my own expense because the front loading ones took too long and never got the soap out of the clothes. I love my brand new top loader here in my new Bangkok apartment- bought at my own expense.

Edited by impulse

In the past decade, I've had 3 front loading washing machines provided by landlords. I've replaced each of them with top loaders at my own expense because the front loading ones took too long and never got the soap out of the clothes. I love my brand new top loader here in my new Bangkok apartment- bought at my own expense.

Front loader are more expensive because, thanks to their orientation, they use less water, less detergent, less electricity, can spin faster (dry better) and are gentler on the clothes.

The advantages of top loader are only washing times and price.

Being used to top loader, you probably put too much detergent and that's why the machine didn't manage to get rid of all of it.

On the long term, a front loader is really better for your clothes, your expenses and the environment.

If your wife is Thai she would of done her washing in a plastic bucket by hand before you came along.Now that farang is here no expense spared. Tell her to buy a front loader for 13,000 b with her family money ! I bet she will change her tack quick smart. Top loader Ok darling ! small money only 4,900 b makro.

13,000 b for a home washing machine is absurd.

Post 5 has a very good understanding of the genuine advantages of a modern front loading clothes washing machine over a top load. I've bought (and been promptly paid back) for village relatives in Buriram two different front loading major brand clothes washing machines for UNDER 10,000 baht with delivery and installation included from both chain and independent appliance shops. Keep an eye on the Thai Rath Thai language newspaper, pick up the seasonal sales catalogs of the major appliance brands that are stacked in independent retailers and you will see machines at or under 10,000 baht. Now if you are in Bangkok and can speak Thai and get answers check out the "closeout" or "once a year demo sales" of the major brands, usually held in December (this year could be a wild card due to flooding troubles) and the major chains pick one or two retail locations to blow out returned, demo or discontinued models. The Thai Watsadu large retail store which is part of the Central Retail Group, same side of the highway but out past BITEC almost to the new Mega Mall with the new IKEA had a slew of front load major name brand clothes washing machines in the covered parking lot area when I visited that store in September. I've seen similar closeout sales of demos, returns, scratched major appliances at more than one Home Pro / The Power and a Power Buy in Bangkok. Caution: Be clear on the installation, VERY clear on the written manufacturers warranty as that sure can vary from retailer to retailer and from Brand to Brand. In the village we needed to have a genuine grounded socket installed prior to the appliance delivery. Drainage from the washing machine was a different non concern.

Front loader are more expensive because, thanks to their orientation, they use less water, less detergent, less electricity, can spin faster (dry better) and are gentler on the clothes.

Being used to top loader, you probably put too much detergent and that's why the machine didn't manage to get rid of all of it.

On the long term, a front loader is really better for your clothes, your expenses and the environment.

Ditto

Another major reason why front loaders are more expensive is that most of them have their own water heater built into the machine. They do a better job of washing clothing used by people who workout due to the hot water function.

Ditto