1.5 Million Letters, Parcels Undelivered: Thailand Flood

webfact

1.5 million letters, parcels undelivered

The Nation

30169993-01.jpg

About 1.5 million letters and packages could not be delivered after 38 of 1,200 post offices were submerged.

Thailand Post normally receives and delivers about 5 million parcels per day.

Piyawat Mahapauraya, senior executive vice president, said yesterday that the company continued to operate as usual.

However, in deeply flooded areas, postal carriers cannot make their rounds and many people are not at home. The parcels will be delivered when the flood subsides.

To serve private and state offices on Vibhavadi-Rangsit, Chaeng Wattana and other swamped Bangkok roads, large trucks are being used, Piyawat said. The company is providing transport for its employees to its head office on Chaeng Wattana and paying a daily allowance of Bt100 to those working during the flooding, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-11-16

"Thailand Post normally receives and delivers about 5 million parcels per day."

Should read...................Thailand Post normally receives and delivers about 5 million parcels per day out of which 2 million are opened and rifled .

Don't get me started. I have lived here for 3 years and have been sent countless birthday, christmas and other random gifts by friends and family. Still have not received a SINGLE one!!!

Get a PO box at your local post office, ive been here going on 8 years and never failed to get things which have been sent from my family.

parcel from UK sent 20th October to pattaya.. not arrived

parcel from singapore (ems) sent 25th October to pattaya. arrived 16th november.. tracking showed it sitting at banglamung for 3 days !

Parcel from UK sent 15th September to pattaya . not arrived

only the one thing arrived , and that needed a signature. nothing else has got thru, not even a few letters

2 parcels sent to me this week, one from hong kong and one from china.. i wonder if i will ever see them !

No Thai Post for me since a long time, instead I use Fedex or DHL (Much more expensive, but at least they are reliable)

And in Thailand when sending something to the family. we always use the Bus. (for example Nakornchai Air Parcel Service)

Edited by MJCM

Global Priority Mail PARCELS still only take 7 or 8 days from California to a Buriram Province small town post office box. Only one day at the Bangkok airport, one day to Korat, one day to our town. I can track the parcel on line while it is in the USA and then once again the parcel can be tracked via the Thailand Post web site. However I am glad these parcels were not mailed two weeks ago when the Don Mueang airport was flooded as that is the airport that up until very recently had been the postal air mail hub for parcels from America.

I received an Ikea Family membership card this week that was mailed from Bangkok.

Don't get me started. I have lived here for 3 years and have been sent countless birthday, christmas and other random gifts by friends and family. Still have not received a SINGLE one!!!

Where abouts do you live? I find your claim hard to believe (sorry).

hi guys, anyone know situation with post to khonkaen. I have to send the misses paperwork for visa application.

cheers.

For such important documents, I'd be inclined to use a sign-for service even at the best of times. Khon Khaen has not been so heavily hit, but still, between you and there, I don't know. Regardless, with such a backlog of undelivered mail, until that is cleared, use a courier.

these responses are a real worry - I am suppose to recieve a package I ordered from overseas - I really hope it arrives - its a present for my mrs.

Has anyone else received packages to Pataya normally?

With such a backlog of undelivered mail, you can expect a delay. If for a birthday or other special event, buy something else, and if the overseas parcel doesn't arrive in time, explain to her what happened. To worry will solve nothing. Tell her with a smile and hug, and be happy. You are lucky.

His claim is complete <deleted>, and I'm not sorry to say it.

I subscribe to a couple of UK magazines, and have only had one magazine go missing in several years. i regularly get small packages sent from the UK to Phetchabun, again only one gone missing in several years. Everything I've ever sent, to the UK and Canada has arrived at it's destination safely. Maybe this "lost" post is just a big city problem.

I subscribe to a couple of UK magazines, and have only had one magazine go missing in several years. i regularly get small packages sent from the UK to Phetchabun, again only one gone missing in several years. Everything I've ever sent, to the UK and Canada has arrived at it's destination safely. Maybe this "lost" post is just a big city problem.

"... Maybe this "lost" post is just a big city problem." .. and perhaps with just a dash of exaggeration.

I have had a 100% delivery rate. When the floods started, I witheld everything.

I've ordered countless things from Hong Kong and have ordered DVDs from Amazon.com and have never once had a problem. Thai Post ships pretty quickly and I have never had an item damaged or missing before. The only thing I hate is that if I order too much, the package will inevitably gets dutied and I'll have to pick it up from the post office and pay.

I really don't get people who are complaining about Thai post. And for people who don't know, they deliver on SUNDAYS also. I don't really don't know another country that delivers on Sundays.

I've ordered countless things from Hong Kong and have ordered DVDs from Amazon.com and have never once had a problem. Thai Post ships pretty quickly and I have never had an item damaged or missing before. The only thing I hate is that if I order too much, the package will inevitably gets dutied and I'll have to pick it up from the post office and pay.

I really don't get people who are complaining about Thai post. And for people who don't know, they deliver on SUNDAYS also. I don't really don't know another country that delivers on Sundays.

Regarding duty do you put the receivers name as a foreign name or a Thai name? I used to get charged all the time when things arrived in my name, since I changed everything to arrive with my Thai wife's name I have never been charged, even things the same as I have ordered in the past and been charged a duty on.

Edited by thaimiller

Always my name but now when I order stuff from Hong Kong, I tell them to declare the value at US$28.00. More often then not, I usually don't get taxed but sometimes I do. I read somewhere that as long as the value is below 1000 baht, you usually won't have to pay duties

these responses are a real worry - I am suppose to recieve a package I ordered from overseas - I really hope it arrives - its a present for my mrs.

Has anyone else received packages to Pataya normally?

Sorry. Register it next time.

... you had a gift sent through the Royal Thai Postal System? ... oh, jeez, what were you thinking? ... Thailand is one of the most corrupt countries in all of Asia.

His claim is complete <deleted>, and I'm not sorry to say it.

How can You tell it?

Are You some kind of Mr. Know-it-all?

I'm not sorry to ask You this.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Know-it-all

Edited by Lifetimelooser