Pardon For Thaksin: Thai Govt Takes Dangerous Path

webfact

I personally like Mr. Thaksin, it was under his leadership Thailand looked to be going forward with a lot of farangs ploughing money into Thailand, i know for a fact the tourism industry went through a 'Boom' time whilst he was in power and i was never short of work here (i work within the travel and tourism industry) but now for the past 3/4 years i have struggled to find any work, and tourism no matter which figures you read, is definitely down and i mean way down !

So Thaksin was slightly corrupt....erm excuse me, but which government is not? Someone on TV.com quoted 'he stole the Thai's money' isn't that what all governments do?

I for one look forward to his return to his beloved country, it wasn't so long ago he returned to an absolute heroes welcome with the media and the people cheering him as he walked out of the airport? it was live on most tv channels here as well.

Good luck Thailand & Long Live his majesty the King of THailand

people do seem to like the guy...i do wonder sometimes why the international community seem to look more positively on thaksin rather than negatively.

just going by nternational news coverage and articles and interviews, that's how it looks to me.

is there anything to that? who knows eh?

Thaksin and his allies are pretty much globalist free marketeers with a few exceptions (the kind foreign business dudes understand) while the other side go more to protectionism and more nationalism (the Abhisit Cambodia policy didnt help them internationally or within Thailand it seems). Thaksin has also shown his party wins elections and he and his allies seem to have built up contacts. I would also think foreign governments look to a longer term future in their analysis of strategic business relations with Thailand. All in all I dont know if they like him more, but he is a better bet and an easier one to work with and he is a lot easier to understand. The international community also know all Thai governments are corrupt so that is not an issue of one over another.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People liked Bernie also, until it was shown that they lost their shirts via his activities. The same with most of the good con artists throughout history, they are likeable/personable or they would not have gotten to the position where they screw others. Many of the Thaksin supporters look at his graft/corruption as not having negatively affected them, as it was no money out of their pocket. There are others who split the ill gotten proceeds with him, thus their support.

I am reminded of past leaders who set there countries course toward bankruptcy, they were very popular as the economy appeared robust and times 'appeared good'. Those that remained as leaders until the financial system collapsed, lost their popularity, while those who left the position of authority for whatever reason, prior to large scale problems are remembered quite favorably. Of course the blame was largely directed at the latter successors.

"The pro-Thaksin camp has argued there is no law banning the pardon from being extended to those who have been convicted but have eluded punishment."

Quote:

I'm at a loss for words.....blink.gif

Khumnan Poh is going to be happy to hear that. Although he may have received more than 3 years for his murder conviction, but of course they can just change the law again as circumstances require.

Yingluck doesn't give a shit about being a political figure. she was only put in to do one thing... pardon Thaksin.

But she wasn't at the cabinet meeting that discussed this. Seems if she had been the howls of rage would have been the same for her spending all her time working towards a pardon???

doing it behind closed doors,all the wrong reason for letting in a crimnal.the only one who will suffer is the thai person who can see he did wrong to his country.the others seem to vote if told who to vote and get some baht for they money.what is the chance thaksin will replace yingluck soon

Can you point me in the direction of any goverment that conducts its cabinet meetings in public???

I note Abhisit seems to have forgotten that his regime removed the time served requirement from traditional practice in their changes last year when corruption cases were also excluded for the first time.

An additional contradictory press report which also adds Thaksin's fugitive status to the criteria...

Thai Pardon Talk Revolves Around Thaksin

For Mr. Thaksin to be included in an amnesty, though, would be a significant break from the past. Normally fugitives are not included in royal pardons, and Mr. Thaksin has been living in Dubai in recent years to escape imprisonment.

In addition, persons convicted of graft would also have to fall under the terms of the amnesty for Mr. Thaksin to benefit; that wasn't the case in the most recent series of pardons.

Continues:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203699404577041982755604686.html

Wall Street Journal - Nov. 16, 2011

I personally like Mr. Thaksin, it was under his leadership Thailand looked to be going forward with a lot of farangs ploughing money into Thailand, i know for a fact the tourism industry went through a 'Boom' time whilst he was in power and i was never short of work here (i work within the travel and tourism industry) but now for the past 3/4 years i have struggled to find any work, and tourism no matter which figures you read, is definitely down and i mean way down !

So Thaksin was slightly corrupt....erm excuse me, but which government is not? Someone on TV.com quoted 'he stole the Thai's money' isn't that what all governments do?

I for one look forward to his return to his beloved country, it wasn't so long ago he returned to an absolute heroes welcome with the media and the people cheering him as he walked out of the airport? it was live on most tv channels here as well.

Good luck Thailand **Comments removed**

people do seem to like the guy...i do wonder sometimes why the international community seem to look more positively on thaksin rather than negatively.

just going by nternational news coverage and articles and interviews, that's how it looks to me.

Thaksin and his allies are pretty much globalist free marketeers with a few exceptions (the kind foreign business dudes understand) while the other side go more to protectionism and more nationalism (the Abhisit Cambodia policy didnt help them internationally or within Thailand it seems). Thaksin has also shown his party wins elections and he and his allies seem to have built up contacts. I would also think foreign governments look to a longer term future in their analysis of strategic business relations with Thailand. All in all I dont know if they like him more, but he is a better bet and an easier one to work with and he is a lot easier to understand. The international community also know all Thai governments are corrupt so that is not an issue of one over another.

true and even with business interests aside, i also think that the coup actually did him somewhat of a backhanded favour in relation to how the international community view him.

Good luck Thailand**Comments removed**

Many people liked Hitler too, and Thaksin's evil goes far beyond being slightly corrupt. If you actually like him it is only because you don't know who and what he truly is. I urge you to reconsider your position.

im sorry but to liken Thaksin to Hitler...?? well i would seriously consider seeing a shrink after such a comment.

Hitler and his crew, killed thousands/millions of innocent men, women and children! Thaksin got the Thai industry and country moving again.....killing how many people????

Come on chap !

thaksin was responsible for his "war on drugs" and thousands died as a result of it.

I rather let all others murderers and rapist in Thailand walk free than to see this man return to Thailand.

After all those money he stole from us Thais.

OK, I understand, BUT... maybe you will enlighten us which former PM or other politican hasnt steel any money from Thaipeople?

What hast changed in the years with Khun Abhisit? are there free shools? Free health care for Thais? (visit an Emergency room at 2 o clock in the morning, where 1 24year old woman doc is playing with her telephone instead taking care for the 30 (Phuket) older and younger patients waiting for a doc )

We all know Khun Thaksin is not the best solution for Thailand but he is by far not the worst!

Your personal opinion, and it is not an informed one. I have met the man, and been wronged by him. All politicians are corrupt, but I have never met any other government official as malevolent as Thaksin, nor anyone who is so impossible to negotiate with. Words and people mean nothing to him. He will tell you whatever you want to hear, and then commit whatever scandalous, hideous atrocity benefits him the most completely disregarding anything he said and even denying he said it. His public persona is simply an extension of who he really is. Nobody can effectively work with him except those who venerate him and defer to him completely. He is a dictator by virtue of his character because he defers to nobody. I am not a psychiatrist, but I would not be surprised if someone told me he was a sociopath.

Yes, he is absolutely the worst solution for Thailand. Give him time and he will become Hitler. He is a demagogue and extremely dangerous. He must be resisted at all costs.

And I am not a news-editor, but what you wrote there is so incredibly accurate, it's not funny.

I know, from a good friend of mine, who has worked with Taksin, some year ago. What he tells me about this sociopath (you are,again,correct !)is almost verbatim what you wrote.

Thanks for keeping things on an even keel !

Cheers,

JGK

Regardless of what I or any other farang says or thinks the Taksin saga will ultimately be sorted out by the Thai people...as it should be. I for one just hope that it will be sorted out in a peaceful and non violent manner.

Totally agree....

"The pro-Thaksin camp has argued there is no law banning the pardon from being extended to those who have been convicted but have eluded punishment."

Quote:

I'm at a loss for words.....blink.gif

Khumnan Poh is going to be happy to hear that. Although he may have received more than 3 years for his murder conviction, but of course they can just change the law again as circumstances require.

and having his daughter-in-law as the Culture Minister in the PTP coalition would help tremendously in having a rewrite made like Thaksin for his specific criteria.

What is truly sad about this new "dangerous path" is that for the only time in recent memory there was actually hope of moving beyond the color divide. People in north of Bangkok were coming together, irrespective of political beliefs, to battle the big bag barrier and the threat to their homes. They were engaging one another and the government without looking at political affiliations, but instead concentrating on the issue of their houses being destroyed. Concentrating on the issues rather than the party is a very key point to a functional democracy.

Had the government not chosen this particular moment to inflame old wounds, there might have been some actual hope of a reconciliation of sorts. Abhisit was genuinely trying to work with Yingluck, and I saw some of my neighbors who really didn't like each other that much previously developing the shared bonds necessary to survive the political disagreements and find a new common enemy.

In less than 24 hours all of that has been destroyed. The government had a kind of reconciliation within its grasp, and chose to piss it all away for the benefit of Thaksin. It is truly a disgusting sight to behold. This "dangerous path" was also the worst path that could have been chosen. As horrific as the flooding has been, the government has just created a crisis that makes the floods pale in comparison.

Good luck Thailand & Long Live his majesty the King of THailand

true and even with business interests aside, i also think that the coup actually did him somewhat of a backhanded favour in relation to how the international community view him.

Do you seriously think the international community would regard him at all if not for his hiring of a handful of western PR firms whose job it is to keep his name in the news and shine upon him the most favorable light?

I rather let all others murderers and rapist in Thailand walk free than to see this man return to Thailand.

I would dare t o disagree, Since I am in thailand (12 years in january 2012); I do have witnessed only 3 (three) personns take care of the lumpen proletariat / grass root/ little people / poor peasant.

I believe 2 of them might not be named here, but I am sure you know who they are (a father and his daughter; both of them hightly revered by thai people and for good reasons); the third being Taksin.

Those who may fear Taksin return are more people such as me : expatriate working here for a salary worth 10 times the salary of our thais collegues; a so call thai elite who in fact are only greedy familly (as much greedy and as much corrupt as Taksin itself) and a part of the 'informal' economy; as Taksin have alway try to control it the way he tried to control the real economy.

Taksin is the man who tried to give some dignity back to the country, by closing all the brothels at 1 am (oooooooooooooooooop, I do beg your forgiveness, there are no brothels, neither there is prostitution in thailand); he is the guy who promoted (if not invented) OTOP; he is the guy who tried to promote familly tourist (instead of the usal acoholic / sex tourism as promoted and controlled by P******olice ou by A***************rmy.

So , ye he is a bastard, yes such an individual should never ever reach position of power; but he is not the Devil; the Devil would be more those who spit on the face of the little people; those who dared to let Issaan flooded for months, but did nto accept that Krungthep may be a littel bit wet (for example).

Last, that is a forum targeting foreigners, so the moaning of the thai so call educated elite who can stop to cry about the good old time are quite unbearable; Taksin did not stole more than other politicians did , maybe even less than other business men did. I would suggest you to learn history, check the national acounting for the last 30 years, and come back to us to subtentiate your affirmations (if not , aren't they close to be considered as libel, and so beware the legal actions!)

By the way, being an expatriate, I do not do politic, and do not care much who Thai people choose as their leader or their PM. Being French, there is enought problems in my own country with the political men/women (DSL/ Sarkosi/Le PEn familly......); I just try to tell what I do witnessed during my long stay in that country (mean I do not support nor do I am repusled by any Thai political personns, including the TaxSin).

My people did not vote in the present Government to let Taskin back to Thailand

They voted for the promise that the new government would make them rich

when I tried to talk to my parents (Issan) I was told to go away, and I knew nothing, even though I hold a masters degree in University

In the same village I lived in all my young life, (Issan) today, the people have more faith in the Thai Army

Where where all the red shirts when we needed help. not one to be seen

But the army (Thai men) where there up to their waists in dirty water helping the people

Taskin is desperate to get back to Thailand, as the educated youth will be the ones running Issan

and his lies are well know to the now silent majority

So go ahead and say bad words about the Thai Army, but be careful what you say in public, because times are changing

Edited by metisdead
Previously deleted post edited out.

Do you seriously think the international community would regard him at all if not for his hiring of a handful of western PR firms whose job it is to keep his name in the news and shine upon him the most favorable light?

could you clarify what you mean by "regard him at all"?

do you mean 'being aware of his existence'?

or that they've all been duped by an incredibly efficient "handful of western PR firms"?

What is truly sad about this new "dangerous path" is that for the only time in recent memory there was actually hope of moving beyond the color divide. People in north of Bangkok were coming together, irrespective of political beliefs, to battle the big bag barrier and the threat to their homes. They were engaging one another and the government without looking at political affiliations, but instead concentrating on the issue of their houses being destroyed. Concentrating on the issues rather than the party is a very key point to a functional democracy.

Had the government not chosen this particular moment to inflame old wounds, there might have been some actual hope of a reconciliation of sorts. Abhisit was genuinely trying to work with Yingluck, and I saw some of my neighbors who really didn't like each other that much previously developing the shared bonds necessary to survive the political disagreements and find a new common enemy.

In less than 24 hours all of that has been destroyed. The government had a kind of reconciliation within its grasp, and chose to piss it all away for the benefit of Thaksin. It is truly a disgusting sight to behold. This "dangerous path" was also the worst path that could have been chosen. As horrific as the flooding has been, the government has just created a crisis that makes the floods pale in comparison.

Agreed. This would've been an opportunity for people of all colors to unite and help rebuild the country and had the PTP been smart enough, they could've use this opportunity to work with the opposition and achieve something, even if that something is ultimately nothing more than lip service but at least it will lessen the backlash from the floods.

Instead, they chose the absolutely worst time to divide the nation :(

I note Abhisit seems to have forgotten that his regime removed the time served requirement from traditional practice in their changes last year when corruption cases were also excluded for the first time. Pure political game and nothing to do with fairness or law. The Abhisit-elite axis will do anything to keep Thaksin out of the country - they dont want him back as they know it could cause an uprising if they try to imprison him. The Thaksinistas will do everything they can to bring him back. The people elected the Thaksinistas at the last election giving them the impetus.

The odd thing is the more the elite attack Thaksin, the more they legitimise him in the eyes of the masses who are looking for something new. Total irony that.

You understand the words

Brain washed

Are all Shrewsbury fans as naive?:whistling:

Definitely not!! :yellowcard:

55555 don't get caught up in the fun that is Thaivisa.com ! Being a Town fan and watching them all my life, i tell you a sense of humour is needed ! Next up Rotherham and some rivalry with some Miller fans here in Chiang Mai.

Come on you Shrews !

Yingluck doesn't give a shit about being a political figure. she was only put in to do one thing... pardon Thaksin.

But she wasn't at the cabinet meeting that discussed this. Seems if she had been the howls of rage would have been the same for her spending all her time working towards a pardon???

But that's predicated on the notion that she really didn't know what was discussed at the Cabinet meeting, which is... more than a bit difficult to buy into.

It would be along the lines of believing she really had no means of transportation to go from Singburi to Bangkok to attend the Cabinet meeting, which is..... even more than a bit difficult to buy into.

Edited by Buchholz

The protests last year are going to look small compared to what is coming, and they will only be able to be stopped with mass violence perpetrated upon the protestors. It remains to be seen whether they will use the police to do it, or simply use red terrorists to keep the crowds at home.

or that they've all been duped by an incredibly efficient "handful of western PR firms"?

If not for the latter I believe the former would be true.

I agree completely. Thailand's politics and society are hopelessly mired in a hateful cat-and-mouse game of "Gotha", a game that goes on round and round. There are no innocent parties here.

I don't see how amnesty could be "dangerous" unless, of course, Thais continue on their usual path of violent repression of those with whom they disagree. This is one way that people know Thailand's so-called "democracy" is a farce.

:whistling:

To be quite honest about it, I don't really care if Thaksin returns or not.

As far as I am concerned all Thai politicians are crooks and theives anyhow...whether one or another one is the biggest thief or crook is immaterial.

As a farang...it really doesn't matter to me who is the head crook.

All I really want to know is if we can look forward to the excitement of a military coup, street riots, or such events in the next three months or so.

:whistling:

If not for the latter I believe the former would be true.

haha, fair enough

you don't think they would be aware of his existence if it wasn't for PR...

we can put this one to bed so.

My people did not vote in the present Government to let Taskin back to Thailand

They voted for the promise that the new government would make them rich

when I tried to talk to my parents (Issan) I was told to go away, and I knew nothing, even though I hold a masters degree in University

In the same village I lived in all my young life, (Issan) today, the people have more faith in the Thai Army

Where where all the red shirts when we needed help. not one to be seen

But the army (Thai men) where there up to their waists in dirty water helping the people

Taskin is desperate to get back to Thailand, as the educated youth will be the ones running Issan

So go ahead and say bad words about the Thai Army, but be careful what you say in public, because times are changing

ozzieman I also live in Issan (Udon Thani) and this is red country big time. You are correct in your statement. A lot of the reds here are wondering the same thing, where was all the help from our group? Hopefully many will see just to what extent they have been fooled into beliving the lies their leaders have told them.

But that's predicated on the notion that she really didn't know what was discussed at the Cabinet meeting, which is... more than a bit difficult to buy into.

It would be along the lines of believing she really had no means of transportation to go from Singburi to Bangkok to attend the Cabinet meeting, which is..... even more than a bit difficult to buy into.

I am not disputing that she could have been there if she really wanted to be though her schedule does seem to be a bit hectic at the moment!

My point is that, if she had been there, she would be accused of spending all her time concentrating on an amnesty by the same people who are also now saying that she is neglecting her responsibilities by not attending a meeting to discuss it though, strangely, it is not beyond some to argue both points at the same time.

Who are you, for God's sake???

Only a crook would show support for another crook!!

the last two comments, what a joke ! is this or is this not a forum where people share/comment other peoples views? so both of you wake up and smell the coffee.....Crooks 55555 you make me laugh.....Who are you....haven't had this much fun in years thanks guys

Yeah, Thaksin support is strongest among the old and weakest among the young. Few young people turned out to the 'protests' last year aside from the thugs and looters. The entrenched feudal power structure propagated by the red movement is dieing out among the young who don't rely on propaganda from some paid off village headman anymore. Thaksin needs to get in and get power, pardon, and plunder now while it is still possible.