Goodbye

aussiechick

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After 8 years of scratching a living in Thailand, I left the country in 1983 at the age of 37.

All my many friends and acquaintances told me I would never last a year back in the UK and they felt sure I would soon be back.

Well the rest is history, as I went on to make and lose several fortunes and although I made many trips back here during the following 17 years, including buying a holiday home, I didn't return permanently until I took early retirement in 2000.

These days there are far more young farangs making a living here than during my younger days and an even greater number of farangs who are trying to exist here on limited and/or 'dubious' incomes. Back in 1983 I took the view that although Thailand was a great place to live, it was all too hard without the benefit of a good income, and although I had a steady job with a work permit, I was never going to get wealthy enough to really enjoy all that Thailand had to offer, so I decided it was time to get out and make some real money.

A few lucky, or maybe very clever farangs, succeed in doing well here, but most fail miserably.

So, although I have no idea of your age, I do understand and support your decision to leave and try to make something of your life.

Good luck, and let's hope you make it back one day, with your little pot of gold in tow.....

PS. You may not realise it now, but surviving in Thailand for 18 years will hold you in good stead in the outside world - it is a life experience that cannot be easily replicated in the west.

After 8 years of scratching a living in Thailand, I left the country in 1983 at the age of 37.

All my many friends and acquaintances told me I would never last a year back in the UK and they felt sure I would soon be back.

Well the rest is history, as I went on to make and lose several fortunes and although I made many trips back here during the following 17 years, including buying a holiday home, I didn't return permanently until I took early retirement in 2000.

These days there are far more young farangs making a living here than during my younger days and an even greater number of farangs who are trying to exist here on limited and/or 'dubious' incomes. Back in 1983 I took the view that although Thailand was a great place to live, it was all too hard without the benefit of a good income, and although I had a steady job with a work permit, I was never going to get wealthy enough to really enjoy all that Thailand had to offer, so I decided it was time to get out and make some real money.

A few lucky, or maybe very clever farangs, succeed in doing well here, but most fail miserably.

So, although I have no idea of your age, I do understand and support your decision to leave and try to make something of your life.

Good luck, and let's hope you make it back one day, with your little pot of gold in tow.....

PS. You may not realise it now, but surviving in Thailand for 18 years will hold you in good stead in the outside world - it is a life experience that cannot be easily replicated in the west.

Excellent post. Aussiechick will be missed for sure.

Unfortunately i see allot of this happening to ex pats who have been here for a long time and have run out of money.

The plus side is they can be more close to family now.

Have a mate leaving back to GB after 13 years of teaching. The reason? sick of living on the bread line. Fair enough

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would fill you in:

I am Australian - or at least I thought I was until i tried to apply for different things here

1. Medicare - entitled from the day I arrived back, but have to prove that not only am I a citizen but also a resident? Will give me a card when I can do that, in the meantime I can go to the doctor / hospital, pay my bill and keep the receipt as they will repay me as soon as I have the card

2. Centrelink (Unemployment office for you guys that really haven't been back for a long time) - entitled and OK made my 100 points

. Then have to call Job assistance who take further details and then they make a telephone appointment for the consultant to call you with more question who then tells you what job agencies you can use (don't ask). BTW I have to wait a week for the phonecall, earliest date.

2. Proof of Age card (18+) - from Dept of Transport - and that is exactly what it is!!! Nope not enough ID - not sure if I look that young (lol)

Don't even talk about Bank accounts!

Also had to show Id to get SIM card with credit on it - and paying cash - go figure.

Anyway apart from that all is fine - Beer is cold XXXX Summer $4.00 at the local pub (Baht 120) the sun is shining and I will do alright no matter what they throw at me.

I am Australian - or at least I thought I was until i tried to apply for different things here

Where in Australia are you living?

I just did a tour from Melbourne - Falls Creek - Thredbo - Canberra - Sydney - Gold Coast - Brisbane - Sunshine Coast

Cost me a fortune. I can't believe how much it costs to live there now. The last time I lived there permanently was 2003 and difference was staggering.

Where in Australia are you living?

I just did a tour from Melbourne - Falls Creek - Thredbo - Canberra - Sydney - Gold Coast - Brisbane - Sunshine Coast

Cost me a fortune. I can't believe how much it costs to live there now. The last time I lived there permanently was 2003 and difference was staggering.

Tropo

I am in Brisbane at the moment. My Mum and sisters still live here so in that way I am fortunate!! Yes, I have a heart attack when I go out - a milkshake for crying out loud is $6.00 (Baht 180)', want extra ice cream add another $3 per scoop, and as for fish and chips try $15 and that is basic!!! Anyone that says Goose's is expensive needs a good talking to :P

I am actually looking for work "in the middle of nowhere" so I get accommodation and food included. I am here to make some money not spend it!

Tropo

I am in Brisbane at the moment. My Mum and sisters still live here so in that way I am fortunate!! Yes, I have a heart attack when I go out - a milkshake for crying out loud is $6.00 (Baht 180)', want extra ice cream add another $3 per scoop, and as for fish and chips try $15 and that is basic!!! Anyone that says Goose's is expensive needs a good talking to :P

My wife and I had some grilled fish with salad plus a dozen oysters in a fish and chip shop - $48!!!

Tropo

Goose's is expensive needs a good talking to :P

never met you AC always read your posts thx for sharing your experience with us here in LOS - all the best - hope you find what you are looking for

OT reply

and tropo as with many others here that make the mistake of comparison prices with other countries outside Thailand - ask a Thai if Gooses is expensive after all we are in Thailand, don't forget the average salary in the west is maybe 10x that of the average Thai - possibly more, just because fish (from the sea) and chips (from the ground) are sold by a falang (bought/caught in Thailand) should be priced any different than anything else in Thailand, a common misconception that many falangs make here and quite frankly are slowly ruining this wonderful place as prices edge higher and higher because falangs keep pushing the limits, that is why you are where you are now, I remember reading some past post of yours where you bragged about how much you spent here to live on - correct me if I'm wrong, anyway no matter.

sorry AC for the OT post respnonse but I guess not so off topic since the basis for this thread is Falang having to go home because funds ran out or pension is no longer enough.

Tropo

Goose's is expensive needs a good talking to :P

never met you AC always read your posts thx for sharing your experience with us here in LOS - all the best - hope you find what you are looking for

OT reply

and tropo as with many others here that make the mistake of comparison prices with other countries outside Thailand - ask a Thai if Gooses is expensive after all we are in Thailand, don't forget the average salary in the west is maybe 10x that of the average Thai - possibly more, just because fish (from the sea) and chips (from the ground) are sold by a falang (bought/caught in Thailand) should be priced any different than anything else in Thailand, a common misconception that many falangs make here and quite frankly are slowly ruining this wonderful place as prices edge higher and higher because falangs keep pushing the limits, that is why you are where you are now, I remember reading some past post of yours where you bragged about how much you spent here to live on - correct me if I'm wrong, anyway no matter.

sorry AC for the OT post respnonse but I guess not so off topic since the basis for this thread is Falang having to go home because funds ran out or pension is no longer enough.

I think you were confused. I've never eaten at Goose's. I stay away from fish and chips done in a deep fryer for health reasons. I was merely mentioning how much I paid for GRILLED fish and salad at my favourite fish and chip shop in Australia. I certainly wasn't doing a comparison with Gooses. Nearly half of my bill was natural oysters, which certainly wouldn't be cheap here either and I wouldn't eat raw oysters here anyway because I wouldn't trust them. I grew up near Bluff in NZ. If anyone knows about Bluff oysters, they'd understand why I wouldn't be looking for raw oysters in Pattaya.

In actual fact I was making a comparison between the cost of things in Australia in 2003 compared to 2011.

ask a Thai if Gooses is expensive after all we are in Thailand, don't forget the average salary in the west is maybe 10x that of the average Thai - possibly more, just because fish (from the sea) and chips (from the ground) are sold by a falang (bought/caught in Thailand) should be priced any different than anything else in Thailand

As Goose's fish tastes much better than almost any other F&C place in Thailand (IMO) and they use very good quality ingredients, a middle class Thai who has traveled abroad and likes British fish and chips might find the price quite reasonable. I am not wealthy and I certainly do.

The reason that (some) farangs can charge a higher price than a typical Thai noodle stand is because they are providing a product that (some) other people are willing to pay for. This nonsense that everything in Thailand has to be "cheap" to cater to skinflint, balloon chasing, down and out Westerners gets tiresome.

balloons.jpg?w=150&h=150

Edited by Ulysses G.

ask a Thai if Gooses is expensive after all we are in Thailand, don't forget the average salary in the west is maybe 10x that of the average Thai - possibly more, just because fish (from the sea) and chips (from the ground) are sold by a falang (bought/caught in Thailand) should be priced any different than anything else in Thailand

As Goose's fish tastes much better than almost any other F&C place in Thailand (IMO) and they use very good quality ingredients, a middle class Thai who has traveled abroad and likes British fish and chips might find the price quite reasonable. I am not wealthy and I certainly do.

The reason that (some) farangs can charge a higher price than a typical Thai noodle stand is because they are providing a product that (some) other people are willing to pay for. This nonsense that everything in Thailand has to be "cheap" to cater to skinflint, balloon chasing, down and out Westerners gets tiresome.

balloons.jpg?w=150&h=150

And my mention of Goose'swas because I feel the same.Love their fish and chips. I know in Australia the wages are higher but if you do a comparison check - which I have done with students you find out it is not much diffferent - example wages Aust: $2000 p.month - rent approx $200 per week (for a room)

Thai Wages Baht 15,000 per month rent Baht 3000 per month (for a room). Beer Aus $4 Thai Baht 60 ($2) etc.

Just keep your fingers crossed I get a job quickly!!!! Then I can get back on a holiday and annoy you all again :whistling:

Good Luck AussieChick, you'll be back.

I like Aussies, great drinkers, an Aussie girl I met punched me in the mouth after I had accidentally elbowed her in the face in a gogo bar in Pattaya. True story, it was the TQ bar on Beach road about 19 or 20 years ago, the dancing and jumping around to AC/DC got a bit wild ! laugh.gif

Wasn't you was it ? ohmy.gif

Good Luck AussieChick, you'll be back.

I like Aussies, great drinkers, an Aussie girl I met punched me in the mouth after I had accidentally elbowed her in the face in a gogo bar in Pattaya. True story, it was the TQ bar on Beach road about 19 or 20 years ago, the dancing and jumping around to AC/DC got a bit wild ! laugh.gif

Wasn't you was it ? ohmy.gif

No Banzai - sure wasn't me and I am a bit more tolerant than that (I hope). :) Missing my sansom and soda though!!!

Good Luck , BUT not goodbye , I hope you do get back & keep posts going , I follow them.

I am a visitor for a few months each year since '85 , but I wont make it this year due to contractual obligations.

WA & Q'land Mining Industries are screaming for workers . I am sure you already know that.

All the Best

B) B)

balloons.jpg?w=150&h=150

it is falangs that have ruined this city where it is almost too expensive to either run a business or live here (for most) and pay rediculous prices for everything, this is still a 3rd world country no matter what you might think, I am certaintly not a ballon chaser and would consider myself to be quite well off but I refuse to be ripped off ;)

your posting style reminds me of a few falangs I know here who thought they could make millions and lost their a$$ and went home with nothing but an empty bank account and the 3x ex wives waiting with a solicitor lol

Edited by Rimmer
Inflammatory comment

3rd world country no matter what you might think,

Sorry, but this is not a 3rd world country no matter what you might think. You should go and visit some 3rd world countries to appreciate the difference, in fact, if you need to find a really cheap place to live you should move to 3rd world country.

A lot of expats may have difficulty with the cost of living now because they arrived after the financial meltdown in 1997 - 98 when their currencies were strong next to the baht.

I am certaintly not a ballon chaser and would consider myself to be quite well off but I refuse to be ripped off

It sounds like you should be expecting a visit from Bob Marley's ghost pretty soon.

content_img.412.img.jpg

ha ha, sounds like your business is going down the toilet lol

the life you thought you left behind still awaits you - no place to hide lol

people like you really crack me up lmao - it's just so obvious

anyway back to AC thread which I guess is sort of related to peeps running out of money or pattaya becoming too expensive or a business mega fail, I guess they're all in the same pot

and tropo - that is why you are home now and pennyless, you thought LOS was a rich metropilis and squandered all your money lol, most of it went into falangs pockets btw not Thais

anyway you can debate this subject forever but one thing I know is that I'm here 8 years retired at 44 and you're not so one of us has it all wrong :jap:

and tropo - that is why you are home now and pennyless, you thought LOS was a rich metropilis and squandered all your money lol, most of it went into falangs pockets btw not Thais

anyway you can debate this subject forever but one thing I know is that I'm here 8 years retired at 44 and you're not so one of us has it all wrong :jap:

You certainly have a vivid imagination but what does all this off-topic prattle have to do with my assertion that Thailand is not a 3rd world country.

You got here 8 years ago when the baht was near its lowest point. No wonder you think it is so expensive here.

Edited by tropo

Sorry, but this is not a 3rd world country no matter what you might think.

When people talk about the poorest countries of the world, they often refer to them with the general term Third World, and they think everybody knows what they are talking about. But when you ask them if there is a Third World, what about a Second or a First World, you almost always get an evasive answer. Other people even try to use the terms as a ranking scheme for the state of development of countries, with the First world on top, followed by the Second world and so on, that's perfect - nonsense.

There is no official definition of the first, second, and the third world.

Read More:

http://www.nationson...d_countries.htm

http://dictionary.re...wse/third+world

http://www.thirdworl...dWorld_def.html

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Third_World

And you can always Google "3rd world country definition"

Sorry, but this is not a 3rd world country no matter what you might think.

When people talk about the poorest countries of the world, they often refer to them with the general term Third World, and they think everybody knows what they are talking about. But when you ask them if there is a Third World, what about a Second or a First World, you almost always get an evasive answer. Other people even try to use the terms as a ranking scheme for the state of development of countries, with the First world on top, followed by the Second world and so on, that's perfect - nonsense.

There is no official definition of the first, second, and the third world.

Read More:

http://www.nationson...d_countries.htm

http://dictionary.re...wse/third+world

http://www.thirdworl...dWorld_def.html

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Third_World

And you can always Google "3rd world country definition"

You are correct, It is an unofficial term, but Thailand doesn't fit into the general understanding of the term. It certainly is not a poor country by any stretch of the imagination with GDP 24th in the world.

Here's a good one for you. People living below the poverty line:

Thailand 9.6%

USA: 15.1%

Anyway, I was commenting on the high cost of living in Australia. It was Smedly who was going on about how expensive Thailand is.

Edited by tropo