Obama Hails Thai PM's 'Inspirational' Election Win

webfact

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Thais think she's doing well - hardly her fault if the floods came. I think it's great that this country has it's first female PM - the yellows should accept the election result and shut up.

I don't think you're right about what most Thais think. I think they think she is melting and that explains the go for broke amnesty move now, as she is still in power.

Most Thais think she's doing well - hardly her fault if the floods came. I think it's great that this country has it's first female PM - the yellows should accept the election result and shut up.

I don't think you're right about what most Thais think. I think they think she is melting and that explains the go for broke amnesty move now, as she is still in power.

Margret Hamilton Syndrome

Winning till the cold water hits.

So now we know why she refuses to get out of the boat.

So what is Obama after from Thailand. Does he really think it was an Inspirational Victory?

America heed the warning signs. Me thinks that you have Presidential elections coming up soon?

jb1

Very simple. China has become a major influence in this region in a very short period of time. The US wants to get support from friends, including Thailand and Australia, to re-establish a power base in the area. Like it or not, China has missiles that can easily take out American bases in Korea, Japan and Guam with very little warning. By controlling the sea lanes in the Indian Ocean the US can keep a leash on China's maritime trading with Africa and Middle East.

And having many more basses regionally than China can take out means

they will blink, more often than act like a irrational WINNER,

and just got for it. They have some pretty nutty hawks in China's military,

psychologically lost in some 3,000 year old fantasies of being the

best and biggest again, and they ONLY respect being out strategized.

So real politik says make nice and stroke the local pubahs or puyais,

and make them look good, in their own minds, when they come hat in hand,

and get something useful in return for the whole geopolitcal game plan.

Edited by animatic

Brought to you by the same government that supported:

Idi Amin

P.W. Botha

Ngo Diem

Poppa and Baby Doc

Ferdinand Marcos

The Shah

Augusto Pinochet

Anastasio Somoza

and worst of all

Tony Blair

As if they were the only ones to deal with the status quo at any given time.

I look forward to Obama's second term campaigning.

Minimum salary $1,000 per day for everyone, $2,000 for graduates

Free laptops for anyone in school years

Anyone convicted of rape, murder, child molestation, drug crimes, corruption with less than 2 years left is free

Double the price on all farmed commodities

...... A true inspiration................

I imagine that those who get their news from TVF and the Nation are surprised to learn that much of Thailand and the rest of the world doesn't view her brother as the second Antichrist, much to their chagrin. I find it especially amusing to see him vilified because he is a convicted criminal, while the people who supported and engineered a coup to overthrow a twice elected government walk around free. Double standards, much?

They have ignorance for an excuse; what's yours?

he's got a point? we may not like it but it is democracy - I believe we can't just accept the premise of democracy when it suits

So now we know why she refuses to get out of the boat.

She i afraid to dirty her Burberrys?:rolleyes:

I look forward to Obama's second term campaigning.

Minimum salary $1,000 per day for everyone, $2,000 for graduates

Free laptops for anyone in school years

Anyone convicted of rape, murder, child molestation, drug crimes, corruption with less than 2 years left is free

Double the price on all farmed commodities

...... A true inspiration................

Classic irony and juxtapositioning!

I imagine that those who get their news from TVF and the Nation are surprised to learn that much of Thailand and the rest of the world doesn't view her brother as the second Antichrist, much to their chagrin. I find it especially amusing to see him vilified because he is a convicted criminal, while the people who supported and engineered a coup to overthrow a twice elected government walk around free. Double standards, much?

Agree 100%. My gawd, the anti-Thasinites really do need to find a new obsession.

Yingluk won the election. Move on.

One must realize the US is the principle foreign policy tool of the governing elite backed by multinationals to forge world dominance. And this is achieved through taking apart reigning institutions whether it be monarchies or whatever. Once this takes place the governing "democracy" is wide open to influence from abroad. Its pretty hard to do when a monarch or aristocrat is independent enough to tell you to get lost.

Obama is merely a mouthpiece for the elite. If one examines his election platform and the people around him vs his record and the hacks around him now one is quick to see this is one of the most disingenuous Presidents in the history of the US and that is not saying much.

Edited by losworld

he's got a point? we may not like it but it is democracy - I believe we can't just accept the premise of democracy when it suits

In most countries democracy can be suspended in a National Emergency, and reinstated later.

There are also impeachments and trials for Malfeasance In Office that are not blocked by nepotism, and crony capitalism moves by incumbents. Several legislators and cabinet members in democracies world wide get removed from office for screwing the pooch, their constituents, or some secretary or rent-boy, every year.

Edited by animatic

They have a lot in common; they were both born outside of America, neither of them had any qualifications for the job they took, and they are both in their first and last term as leader.

Not sure what qualifications you need but I can't think of many Thai PMs who do not fit these criteria.

Edited by Orac

It's basic diplomacy. For any president to talk down an elected leader of another country, that's insulting the entire country, not just the government.

Exactly so. The background however is that Thaksin has not forgiven the US from tapping his calls to the red thugs during last year's events and warning him off. This will account for the rejection of support from the US aircraft carrier during the floods. Bad blood. And Thaksin carries his grudges.

Also with praising the PM the US is indicating that she is someone they can deal with. No need for Thaksin to return. But he has other intentions.

Knew that this posted article would bring out all crap posts from ...well..from people. Too bad they all can't be gainfully employed in some useful endeavor that would make a difference.

Well here's your chance to post some pearls of your wisdom... or would you rather just pop-up again in 2014 with another similar insight? :rolleyes:

Bingo

So, how much money are the Thaksins and their "associates" funneling into the Obama reelection campaign?

Perhaps this is all linked to the Global movement and pests like Robber Amsterdam. There is some serious stuff going on up there somewhere! On the other hand, perhaps Obama closed his eyes during the election. Remember that the American Government backed Osama Bin Laden at one point so I guess they really do understand world politics!

It's basic diplomacy. For any president to talk down an elected leader of another country, that's insulting the entire country, not just the government.

Exactly so. The background however is that Thaksin has not forgiven the US from tapping his calls to the red thugs during last year's events and warning him off. This will account for the rejection of support from the US aircraft carrier during the floods. Bad blood. And Thaksin carries his grudges.

Also with praising the PM the US is indicating that she is someone they can deal with. No need for Thaksin to return. But he has other intentions.

Thaksin has not forgiven the US from tapping his calls to the red thugs during last year's events and warning him off

That's an incredibly interesting statement. Now all you've got to do is present a shred of credible evidence to back this up and no doubt your post will be taken more seriously than it currently can be.

The background however is that Thaksin has not forgiven the US from tapping his calls to the red thugs during last year's events and warning him off. This will account for the rejection of support from the US aircraft carrier during the floods. Bad blood.

As mentioned earlier I had expected some silliness from the usual suspects following Obama's supportive words for Yingluck in Bali.

I had not however expected anything quite so barking mad as the above post.

Thaksin has not forgiven the US from tapping his calls to the red thugs during last year's events and warning him off

That's an incredibly interesting statement. Now all you've got to do is present a shred of credible evidence to back this up and no doubt your post will be taken more seriously than it currently can be.

'Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban said before the UDD's protests began in mid-March that he had received intelligence from the US warning of possible sabotage at the protests. The information, he said, was gleaned from tapped telephone conversations between the Dubai-based Thaksin and his Thailand-situated allies. The US Embassy has neither confirmed nor denied Suthep's claims.'

Is it really? Where is the educated and informed public, free and critical press, independent judiciary and police, strict electoral rules scrutiny, and politicians seeking to advance their country instead of line their pockets? One man, one vote is a simplistic version of democracy, and actually one of its greatest weaknesses, yet some see it as the be-all and end-all.

Thailand is an emerging democracy, and it's got a bloody long way to go yet.