Only In Thailand

monty1412

What a sad and pathetic story.

Visit a country where you cannot speak any of the language, then get upset and angry that a young uneducated waiter gets your order mixed up. Refuse to wait. Refuse to pay. Then lie to a large group of potential customers in order to cost them more business.

Agree 100%.

On a different and possibly off-topic note, I've noticed that most of the negativity on this forum comes from people whose IQ lies in that tedious range that starts at about 100 and ends at about 115. These are people who finished high school and, perhaps, attended a low-ranking university. These people are not strictly speaking stupid, but neither are they particularly bright.

Put another way, they believe they are intelligent but are not intelligent enough to see that actually they are not particularly intelligent at all.

Here are some examples:

1. An unintelligent person.

So I goes down to this restaurant at the end of my Soi. It ain't a bad place, and the Thai guy who works there is a decent bloke. I admit he's a Man U supporter, but that's okay coz I always take the piss out of him by saying that Fergie's a wan-ker.

Anyway, I orders a bit of fried rice and chicken. And a few minutes later he comes back with pork. So I tells him that I don't want pork and that I asked for chicken. He kind of looked a bit surprised at first, but then he understood. And after that, he comes back again with my chicken fried rice.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we both had a good laugh about it and there weren't no bad feelings.

2. An intelligent person

I ordered chicken fried rice the other day from a local restaurant. But the waitress got my order wrong and came back with pork fried rice. I politely pointed out that I'd asked for chicken and not pork, so she took the plate back and then returned a few minutes later with what I'd originally asked for.

3. A fool

Imagine my profound discontent when, upon ordering what is locally known as khao phad gahi, I was served approximately 5 minutes later with something that most definitely was not chicken. In fact, it was pork.

I duly summoned the waiter. "Boy", I exclaimed, "how exactly does one equate pork with chicken".

Did he answer me? Did he attempt any sort of intelligent discourse? On the contrary. He simply offered me that blank and somewhat moronic stare which frankly speaking sums up just about the entire population of this god forsaken country.

Unwilling to accept further mediocrity, I stood up and proceeded to make my exit. Profanities were hurled at me; accusations regarding my parentage followed forthwith.

I detest these peasants. They are simply inferior.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are no guarantees or limits of absurdity to how Thai waiters process f-rang communication.

The other day I ordered pak boong fai daeng in Thai and was presented with chicken with cashew nuts!

I ordered "potato salad" and got french fries with a dollop of mayo on top. sick.gif

2. An intelligent person

I ordered chicken fried rice the other day from a local restaurant. But the waitress got my order wrong and came back with pork fried rice. I politely pointed out that I'd asked for chicken and not pork, so she took the plate back and then returned a few minutes later with what I'd originally asked for.

Agreed. But it doesn't always go that smoothly and that's a simple example. A lot of time if you complain about a dish they don't cook a new one, they "fix" it in a slipshod, dodgy way instead. And yes, this happens more commonly in Thailand than in the west.

2. An intelligent person

Agreed. But it doesn't always go that smoothly and that's a simple example. A lot of time if you complain about a dish they don't cook a new one, they "fix" it in a slipshod, dodgy way instead. And yes, this happens more commonly in Thailand than in the west.

True, but if you limit your budget to 30-40 Baht for low-end joints then you can't complain too much.

I've had several "hybrid" khao phad dishes (or "slipshod, dodgy" dishes, as you you call them) and they've always been okay.

The key is tolerance and a smile.

No, the dodgy fixes are common in decent restaurants here as well.

I agree about tolerance, here or in any country. If a business wrongs me to a certain point, they simply lose my future business. I can afford to be picky.

Edited by Jingthing

where does Steve Jobs fit on this list? I don't believe he graduated from university...

Visit a country where you cannot speak any of the language, then get upset and angry that a young uneducated waiter gets your order mixed up. Refuse to wait. Refuse to pay. Then lie to a large group of potential customers in order to cost them more business.

Agree 100%.

On a different and possibly off-topic note, I've noticed that most of the negativity on this forum comes from people whose IQ lies in that tedious range that starts at about 100 and ends at about 115. These are people who finished high school and, perhaps, attended a low-ranking university. These people are not strictly speaking stupid, but neither are they particularly bright.

Put another way, they believe they are intelligent but are not intelligent enough to see that actually they are not particularly intelligent at all.

Here are some examples:

1. An unintelligent person.

So I goes down to this restaurant at the end of my Soi. It ain't a bad place, and the Thai guy who works there is a decent bloke. I admit he's a Man U supporter, but that's okay coz I always take the piss out of him by saying that Fergie's a wan-ker.

Anyway, I orders a bit of fried rice and chicken. And a few minutes later he comes back with pork. So I tells him that I don't want pork and that I asked for chicken. He kind of looked a bit surprised at first, but then he understood. And after that, he comes back again with my chicken fried rice.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we both had a good laugh about it and there weren't no bad feelings.

2. An intelligent person

3. A fool

Imagine my profound discontent when, upon ordering what is locally known as khao phad gahi, I was served approximately 5 minutes later with something that most definitely was not chicken. In fact, it was pork.

I duly summoned the waiter. "Boy", I exclaimed, "how exactly does one equate pork with chicken".

Did he answer me? Did he attempt any sort of intelligent discourse? On the contrary. He simply offered me that blank and somewhat moronic stare which frankly speaking sums up just about the entire population of this god forsaken country.

Unwilling to accept further mediocrity, I stood up and proceeded to make my exit. Profanities were hurled at me; accusations regarding my parentage followed forthwith.

I detest these peasants. They are simply inferior.

there used to be a pedantic farang punter who was always going around teaching other farangs how to pronounce Thai correctly, but his own pronunication was so far off the mark, he was the butt of endless jokes.....finally one of the BGs taught everyone else how to tell him to p*ss off in Thai whenever he would launch his teaching routine, generating copious amounts of laughter

learn to say, "ga-faye yen cap"

Edited by tailspin

the only things I got from the story is that the OP is long-winded, confrontational, dishonest, and vengeful.....am I missing something here?

Many farang who come here are just that.

Unfortunately they haven't been fortunate enough to have had a Buddhist upbringing, like Thais. And are the inferior people due to it.

Edited by hehehoho

Some Westerners and their attitudes here are absolutely disgusting.

It is a pity that the staff didn't hear your blatant lies that were served to lose them business and money and have you charged with slander.

Are you completely stupid or do you have a basic comprehension problem.

I havent visited.. I live her

Who said anything about getting mad or upset.. I kept my cool at all times.

Refuse to wait.. I think 15 minutes to wait for a iced coffee is probably streching it abit and arguably showing a degree of patience

Refuse to pay... tell me when you have willingly paid for goods ordered but not received.

On reflection I probably shouldnt have poisoned the other folks perceptions of the restaurant and if you see may later post i think Ive figured out what went on but your little tirade has more emotion and anger in it than the whole event had.

Probably helpful to you if you use this board to let off steam.

Just read the OP next time and try not to jump to so many conclusions.

Monty.....

You didn't get what you ordered and you didn't pay. Fair enough.

Getting caught up in the moment and lying(!) to potential customers was not on. Unfortunately, you realized this after the damage to the business was done.

Fair call and yes probably in hindsight I should not have done that but you know at times you just get to point where you just think screw it, you'd be happy to f$ck me over.. I will do the same back and i guess this was one of those moments. anyway im pretty certain I havent bankrupted the place and as i posted later Im sure this is all because the waiter screwed the order up and then in thai fashion made out that I had changed my mind ..... perfectly clear after the fact of course. Rgds

the only things I got from the story is that the OP is long-winded, confrontational, dishonest, and vengeful.....am I missing something here?

Many farang who come here are just that.

Unfortunately they haven't been fortunate enough to have had a Buddhist upbringing, like Thais. And are the inferior people due to it.

I believe the source toward which you are giving credit is misdirected. I know quite a few Buddhist Chinese who are quite confrontational. whistling.gif

Tailspin you aren't missing anything, unfortunately it would appear your boat set sail long ago and you missed it so no you are not missing anything. The sun will come up for you in the morning I promise.

Try not to vex yourself in future with such posts or topics, suggest holidays in the sun, crochet and darning for farangs and other such benign topics that will keep you in your cotton wool world so nicely.

Sweet dreams petal...

Tailspin you aren't missing anything, unfortunately it would appear your boat set sail long ago and you missed it so no you are not missing anything. The sun will come up for you in the morning I promise.

Try not to vex yourself in future with such posts or topics, suggest holidays in the sun, crochet and darning for farangs and other such benign topics that will keep you in your cotton wool world so nicely.

Sweet dreams petal...

My apologies tailspin, it seems you have already done this before my note.

I refer to your recent post

Are there any shops or salons that do eyebrow threading in Pattaya?

Thank you.

Well done , good on you. I was so close with the darning and crochet comment without even seeing this post of yours.

What a classic....

I do apologize for the rest of the forum in not deluging you with responses about such a hot topic.. seems they don't share your passion. Console yourself with some poetry dear boy..

What a frickin classic...

perhaps we should add obsessive and compulsive to the list

Sweet dreams petal...

Thank you.

Well done , good on you. I was so close with the darning and crochet comment without even seeing this post of yours.

What a classic....

I do apologize for the rest of the forum in not deluging you with responses about such a hot topic.. seems they don't share your passion. Console yourself with some poetry dear boy..

perhaps we should add obsessive and compulsive to the list

yes why not, of course this coming from someone whose posts include such magic as "well you used 770 keystrokes versus my 116 so you clearly have an agenda or vested interest here" Is high praise indeed. Are there others forthcoming that you care to regale us all with...your comments on the boxing thread were a little self serving however have not printed them here as eyebrow threading interest and counting keystrokes is probably enough .

Your profile says female in Pattaya.. good to see you have a strong interest in boxing ( based on the advice you handed out) and eyebrow threading. You go girl.

Sweet dreams petal...

Thank you.

What a classic....

Maybe something in the air/karma, etc. but just tonight had the worst Thai restaurant experience in my life. Ordered two dishes, curried squid with bamboo shoots, and seaweed soup. Was brought curried PORK with bamboo shoots and seaweed soup with RAW BLOODY RED pork balls. OMG. Normally, tolerant as I am I would have let the squid mistake pass but I didn't feel like two pork dishes. BTW, when I ordered the squid, I ordered it in Thai, then I also pointed at the word squid on the menu, and made sure the waitress voiced the words pla muek to confirm. Can't get much more anal than that. Then I bit into a pork ball. OMG2. This was an 80 baht dish place so not the Ritz. I was so freaked about the raw pork that I did lose my cool. I let them "fix" the dishes but my better second thought of what I should have done was to pay for the drink (nam soda served hot) and walk out.

BTW, capped off this memorable meal with an ironic 10 baht tip and a SEE YOU AGAIN!

Edited by Jingthing

This thread brings to mind two events I've experienced in Thailand. The first was in Bangkok, at a modest restaurant/bar in a side soi near Khao San Rd. I was with my Thai GF. I forget what it was we ordered but neither dish was correct or properly cooked. I wanted to complain but my GF dug me sharply in the ribs and glared at me "Cannot complain, make everyone lose face" she said. "Why not? We didn't get what we ordered. If no-one complains then how do they know they have a problem?" Futile. She wouldn't let me make a fuss so we just picked at the food, paid and left. "We never go back again" she said as we walked out as if that was sufficient punishment.

Another was in Trat. The waiter took our order and was gone nearly half an hour. When he came out of the kitchen with our food on a tray, he stopped and looked around, clearly having forgotten who had ordered it. We were trying to attract his attention as he went from table to table to try to find the foods' 'owner'. Eventually, by a process of elimination, he found our table. About 40 minutes later he went through the same routine with our main course! Not having any more time to waste waiting for desert, we gave him a reasonable tip (the food, when we eventually got it, was very good) and left. Looking back it seems humorous now but wasn't so at the time.

I have been told when i speak thai i have a thai accent from thais too. Work that one out.

A Thai telling someone what they want to hear. Amazing Thailand. :D

Negative posting again.

I have never spent time learning Thai but i pick it up from thai people and my kids so i say it how i hear.

Its not that hard really. Get a life

I have been told when i speak thai i have a thai accent from thais too. Work that one out.

Negative posting again.

I have never spent time learning Thai but i pick it up from thai people and my kids so i say it how i hear.

Actually, it is - and in my experience it is ususally the second-language autodidacts who are most arrogant and self-deluded about their linguistic ability. I remember in Korea an English teacher who refused to go to Korean lessons and learned the language all by himself. Koreans would smile and nod politely when he spoke to them in Korean but privately, to me, they would often ask "what did he say?"

With respect to Thai , people whose native language is non-tonal - like English - have a tough time.In contrast, I have seen many Chinese students here pick up Thai fairly quickly as Chinese is tonal too.

If you speak mostly with your family they are probably just used to your way of speaking.

Sorry, the truth hurts.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Negative posting again.

Actually, it is - and in my experience it is ususally the second-language autodidacts who are most arrogant and self-deluded about their linguistic ability. I remember in Korea an English teacher who refused to go to Korean lessons and learned the language all by himself. Koreans would smile and nod politely when he spoke to them in Korean but privately, to me, they would often ask "what did he say?"

With respect to Thai , people whose native language is non-tonal - like English - have a tough time.In contrast, I have seen many Chinese students here pick up Thai fairly quickly as Chinese is tonal too.

If you speak mostly with your family they are probably just used to your way of speaking.

Sorry, the truth hurts.

With my 20-years experience as a first and second language teacher (French, Japanese, English), your comments are (as the Brits say) SPOT ON! thumbsup.gif

Negative posting lads.... be kind, be Thai, tell everybody that they're perfect at everything. :rolleyes:

Wonder which regional Thai these people have mastered, the numerous Isaan dialects, Northern Thai, Southern Thai, Central Thai, a dialect such as the drawn-out Suphanburi tongue etc etc.

Edited by hehehoho

My wife and I have things happen like this everyday....... We often discuss what happened then she speaks to the Thai person making them aware. Most of the time the Thai person does realize what they are doing at the time.

Here is one of the many, many, many examples: Just last week we were eating at Scoozi Pizza. After we finished eating the server opened a menu put it in between my wife and I with the back side facing me barely 6 inches from my face. Then she turned her back to me and proceeded to ask my wife is she wanted any dessert. Needless to say I was a bit taken back by her actions. This action appeared to show me I am only a "Second Class Human Being." My wife spoke to the server and she apologized to me. The server said she did not realize what she was doing. She thought my wife being Thai would order for both of us according to Thai custom. I told her it was fine and I understand so she would not loose face.