Chafoa West Traffic Lights

KImoLolo

I drive that run very often and think things are less safe. Traffic is slowed at the lights but the people seem to speed up faster to get to the old unsafe rate! The light at the barriers are no help as I saw a tour van pass me on the right (south bound) at a light and end up on the meridian (new with plants) I wonder when the tour vans will stop lowering their carriage to account for the new road system. Oh BTW, I was one of the dreaded cement trucks strattle the flower bed for 50 mts.

Good luck out their!

Those lights are installed clearly as an afterthought, as is the new median strip. Both don't fit their and make the traffic unsafe IMO.

Same goes IMO for the median strip on the hill on the road to Kata.

No planning, and it shows.

Those lights are installed clearly as an afterthought, as is the new median strip. Both don't fit their and make the traffic unsafe IMO.

These new lights and median strip has made driving safer for most, unfortunately you still get the idiots who drive like lunatics and ignore red lights!! any new added traffic measures can only help, if you are in a hurry and have no patience then all the new additions will be annoying!!

These new lights and median strip has made driving safer for most, unfortunately you still get the idiots who drive like lunatics and ignore red lights!! any new added traffic measures can only help, if you are in a hurry and have no patience then all the new additions will be annoying!!

Nothing to do with annoying, I just don't think they have improved the safety.

Off topic on location but on regarding traffic I had the pleasure (sarcasm) of having to go through Patong last evening, 6:00ish and the traffic going into Patong from the north part of the island was a complete joke.

Imagine one parking lot and one lane for everyone going into a Stones concert.

From the intersection at The Novotel Patong all the way past Indochine, stopped.

For those of you in the north going to Patong, I really recommend coming Central way and using Patong Hill at that time in the evening.

Edited by grumpyoldman

I drive (well ride bike mostly as weather permits) this road a minimum of 4 times a day. I find the new light junctions and median strip to have reduced speed significantly, so increased safety. However as usual in TH a green light is not good to go, one still needs to be extremely alert and able to stop

I also find the median strip on the Chalong-Kata Hill road (Patak road) to have increased safety, as one no longer needs to expect vehicles on the wrong side, so can pay more attention to the ones going same direction

I drive (well ride bike mostly as weather permits) this road a minimum of 4 times a day. I find the new light junctions and median strip to have reduced speed significantly, so increased safety. However as usual in TH a green light is not good to go, one still needs to be extremely alert and able to stop

I also find the median strip on the Chalong-Kata Hill road (Patak road) to have increased safety, as one no longer needs to expect vehicles on the wrong side, so can pay more attention to the ones going same direction

I'd like to see something done on the Kata side of the Kata hill road as all those clowns going up the hill have their whole vehicle across the center line when they make the high speed right hand turn.

I'd like to see something done on the Kata side of the Kata hill road as all those clowns going up the hill have their whole vehicle across the center line when they make the high speed right hand turn.

I d be happy if they made median strip all the way from Baan Kata school to the shooting range. speed reduced and increased safety, and as its dual lanes all the way, stranded busses shouldnt cause major problems

Yes, I had expected that the median posts would also be installed on the downhill into Kata. I'm still waiting. Witnessed a number of collisions by those idiots cutting the corner. And not just slightly over the line, I've seen vehicles cutting way over both lanes straight into the face of oncoming traffic. Just insane.

The position of road planner in Thailand, especially Phuket, either doesn't exist or has been vacant for years. The section of hill you mentioned now has 2 yellow lines! It's like a cruel joke at the expense of Thai road users. My favorite is one of the new lighted arrows going SB just north of Wat Chalong on Chao Fa west is actually pointing the wrong way!

The position of road planner in Thailand, especially Phuket, either doesn't exist or has been vacant for years. The section of hill you mentioned now has 2 yellow lines! It's like a cruel joke at the expense of Thai road users. My favorite is one of the new lighted arrows going SB just north of Wat Chalong on Chao Fa west is actually pointing the wrong way!

Or how about the yellow line at the foot of the hill from Kata Noi to Rawai? Coming from Kata the yellow line goes up the hill towards Rawai/Nai Harn, even though the road goes straight on to Kata Noi. Very confusing, and in case of accidents putting everyone in the right (or wrong, depending on your perspective).

You can go on all day like this. How about the newish lights at the Vichit Rd/Sai Yuan Rd? After 7pm northbound traffic which is generally moving at about Mach eleventy see's a flashing red light, (which of course is the same as a stop sign) but vehicles rarely even slow down. Try stopping at it as is the law and you will probably get rear-ended by a minibus or fortuner. Vehicles going southbound on Vichit wishing to turn right onto Sai Yuan face a flashing yellow which actually gives them the right of way, but of course if they go they get creamed by oncoming cars blowing through the flashing red. It was reprogrammed properly for a while, but now it's back to the same nonsense.

Or how about the yellow line at the foot of the hill from Kata Noi to Rawai? Coming from Kata the yellow line goes up the hill towards Rawai/Nai Harn, even though the road goes straight on to Kata Noi. Very confusing, and in case of accidents putting everyone in the right (or wrong, depending on your perspective).

Not at all. The road from Kata and up the hill towards Rawai/Nai Harn is a main road, and for those who didnt know by reading maps or road signs, it is in addition visualised by the yellow line. Road to Kata Noi is a small local dead end road, and as such all on this road need to give way for all vehicles on main road

Not at all. The road from Kata and up the hill towards Rawai/Nai Harn is a main road, and for those who didnt know by reading maps or road signs, it is in addition visualised by the yellow line. Road to Kata Noi is a small local dead end road, and as such all on this road need to give way for all vehicles on main road

Exactly. So what happens, traffic coming from Rawai/Nai Harn gives way to traffic coming from Kata Noi, unless if somebody decides to take his right and take his right of way. Theory is very different from reality here.

Exactly. So what happens, traffic coming from Rawai/Nai Harn gives way to traffic coming from Kata Noi, unless if somebody decides to take his right and take his right of way. Theory is very different from reality here.

you are saying road continues straight to Kata Noi, which it does not, neither according to maps, roadsigns or road paint. It continues up the hill, in theory and in reality, and it has a T junction to Kata Noi. Vehicles on Kata Noi road gives way to all others, or are at fault.

Coming down or going up the hill you do not need to yield for any others

In theory and in reality ;)

you are saying road continues straight to Kata Noi, which it does not, neither according to maps, roadsigns or road paint. It continues up the hill, in theory and in reality, and it has a T junction to Kata Noi. Vehicles on Kata Noi road gives way to all others, or are at fault.

No, not in reality.

If you look at that intersection, you will see ALL!! motorbikes and cars coming from Kata going to Kata Noi and coming from Kata Noi going to Kata taking right of way. None of them give way. So in case of an accident they may be at fault, but that could be avoided by making the traffic situation clear.

Yes, I had expected that the median posts would also be installed on the downhill into Kata. I'm still waiting. Witnessed a number of collisions by those idiots cutting the corner. And not just slightly over the line, I've seen vehicles cutting way over both lanes straight into the face of oncoming traffic. Just insane.

Totally agree. Minibuses are of course the worst culprits. Posts would really slow the traffic down hre which is no bad thing.

On the subject of dangerous junctions, I am surprised at the free-for-all that still exists at the crossroads entering Patong fron Karon. The lights are ther but never used and no one seems to know who has right of way. I still consider the old system of Karon Hills to Patong Beach being the priority route but many don't.

Finally, I got honked for stopping at a red light yesterday by a tour bus. It was in the horrendous traffic near the weekend market on Chaofa West and had I gone throughthe red light all I would have done is blocked the traffic turning right out of the market road, whatever it's called. But of course tour buses don't care about that!

No, not in reality.

If you look at that intersection, you will see ALL!! motorbikes and cars coming from Kata going to Kata Noi and coming from Kata Noi going to Kata taking right of way. None of them give way. So in case of an accident they may be at fault, but that could be avoided by making the traffic situation clear.

I was at Kata Noi today, and coming from Kata Noi there is even a full STOP line. Its as clear as it gets without a red light.

anyone in doubt in this junction, really should read up on Thai traffic rules, and would have major problems passing a DL test.

1. Major road right of way, roadnumber signs

2. Yellow stripe clearly indicating what is the main road

3. Full STOP line for minor road

on occasions one does not want to use ones right of way due to survival instinct

In reality ;)

I was at Kata Noi today, and coming from Kata Noi there is even a full STOP line. Its as clear as it gets without a red light.

anyone in doubt in this junction, really should read up on Thai traffic rules, and would have major problems passing a DL test.

on occasions one does not want to use ones right of way due to survival instinct

In reality ;)

You keep going on about the rules, but you also keep ignoring what is happening there on the road.

In reality ;)

You keep going on about the rules, but you also keep ignoring what is happening there on the road.

If you have the right of way and you yield, thats up to you, all the taxis and tuk tuks from Kata Noi love you :whistling: .

I go through this junction every day, and we obviously see it differently as you consider the "road to go straight to Kata Noi". It does not, and it never did, thus the yellow line up the hill you made your initial comment about.:rolleyes:

i drive up and down jao faa west 2 times a day to drop the kid off at school so i know that road well

i usually go straight though the red lights at big buddah, nong m garden and tot after i stop and check no traffic is coming (95% of the time)

i actually think this is safer than waiting for green because all the unnecessary lights create bubbles in the traffic, so there are moving zones of heavy traffic then clear road. by driving though the red lights, you get to drive in the traffic free zones which on a motorbike is much safer.

i usually go straight though the red lights at big buddah, nong m garden and tot after i stop and check no traffic is coming (95% of the time)

i actually think this is safer than waiting for green because all the unnecessary lights create bubbles in the traffic, so there are moving zones of heavy traffic then clear road. by driving though the red lights, you get to drive in the traffic free zones which on a motorbike is much safer.

You sound like an idiot.

i drive up and down jao faa west 2 times a day to drop the kid off at school so i know that road well

Am I reading this correct. You go through red lights (with kids in the car). I am speechless.

Am I reading this correct. You go through red lights (with kids in the car). I am speechless.

I do not like speed checks, fines, automated ticketing cameras for speed or any aunties watching us, but I wish every redlight had an automatic camera issuing ticket to any redlight runner, even those 3 seconds before it turns green. It would improve respect for redlights and thus safety significantly.

Probably the single most important driver change needed in Thailand to reduce road casualties. A green light should be possible to trust, but presently it is in no way

as for bike riding safety, redlights are heaven. Most take off 3 seconds before turning green, I wait for green, then I am ahead of everyone and alone on the road until next light. With my 4 year old kid on the bike

Most take off 3 seconds before turning green,

Amazing more people are not killed doing this, both locals and tourists. It's probably the same people who speed through yellow and red lights. :blink:

dayly accidents in central junction just because of this

have several times watched the 3 second before green runners go through junction before the end of redlight runners are done :whistling:

Most take off 3 seconds before turning green,

Amazing more people are not killed doing this, both locals and tourists. It's probably the same people who speed through yellow and red lights. :blink:

dayly accidents in central junction just because of this

have several times watched the 3 second before green runners go through junction before the end of redlight runners are done :whistling:

Mother Nature's way of thinning out the heard.:o

KBB is correct, but, if you don't stop when coming down the hill from Nai Harn when you get to the T-junction, you will more than likely end up as road-kill.

Thanks, that is the difference between the theory KBB is so stuck on and reality, where you'd better stop coming down the hill.

Chao Fa West has many impediments & death traps. The fact that some years ago it was hastily converted into a 4 lane road without any median strips, parts of the inner lane were too narrow & again many parts of the inner lane get used for a car park. Promphan, the garden shops, Supercheap near PTT are just some of the potential hazards apart from causing traffic to slow. The new power poles, which seem to be taking a couple of years to complete are mostly right on the side of the road therefore if the road were to be widened to an acceptable width, with shoulders, then all those poles will have to be moved. So much for froward planning.

I would venture to suggest that a good portion of the adjoining land could be disputed & we all know how long those take to resolve, one need only look at the tank debacle on Wichit Rd.

I will say once again there are far too few secondary roads connecting the main arteries which can offer alternatives in case of delays caused by peak hour or accidents. Land issues could easily & likely be more cheaper to resolve by going over them. See how much the land is worth when living under an overpass.

Edited by Valentine