Pattaya City Reorganizes Umbrellas Along Pattaya Beach

pauljones

The entire beach now seems to be rented out to business. Sunbathers are jammed together in the 5% that is left for tourists.

The governments policy to leave 50% open space but it seems it's someone elses policy to exploit the beach for personal profits.

Who is collecting the rents from the 50% of beach that is supposed to be for the tourists?

" The beach has been divided 50% for the public and 50% for the business owners to rent from City Hall..."

http://pattaya-times...g-pattaya-beach

"The Pattaya City team led by Pattaya Deputy Mayor Ronnakit Ekkasing recently reorganized the umbrellas along the Pattaya beach to make sure there is at least 50% recreational area in accordance to the rule set out by the Chonburi government."

"......the government's policy of leaving as much space as possible for locals and tourists to use the area to play sport or conduct any other enjoyable activities."

Edited by pauljones

Sounds like another extortion model emerging! So now if the beach umbrella were to get sun bleached during the period I've rented it can I expect to be bullied into paying 10s of thousands of Baht in compensation for the damage!

Is it any wonder I avoid Pattaya like the plague!! :bah:

The beach is very untidy and is a disgrace it is also over run with rats.

It is amazing how the City Hall can allow it to be in such a bad state when it is meant to be the main drawcard to Pattaya if they could just concentrate on cleaning it up and getting rid of all the whisky drinking jet ski scammers ,families living on the sidewalk , drug dealers pimps and Ladyboys it would be much better.

It is amazing how the City Hall can allow it to be in such a bad state when it is meant to be the main drawcard to Pattaya if they could just concentrate on cleaning it up and getting rid of all the whisky drinking jet ski scammers ,families living on the sidewalk , drug dealers pimps and Ladyboys it would be much better.

I was told by a "very reliable" real estate salesman that Pattaya-Jomtien is now an "upscale" destination, so the things you pointed out are obviously not real :) He also gave me a very thick pair of rose-colored glasses, so the place looks upscale to me. I was clearly confused earlier. Now I know there are no problems at all :) :) :) On a different note, and let me remove my rose-colored glasses for a moment, I have never been anywhere that is as corrupt as this place has become, and only a few farangs seem to care. It has its good points (or most of us would not be here), but the bad points are screaming for attention.

Edited by Awohalitsiktoli

Sounds like another extortion model emerging! So now if the beach umbrella were to get sun bleached during the period I've rented it can I expect to be bullied into paying 10s of thousands of Baht in compensation for the damage!

Get out of The Pattaya forum then!!!!

Sounds to me as though they're trying to fix things. But like most, I am also suspicious. Anything that has a potential for graft and corruption will continue to be covered up.

What about those vendors who are in breach of the regulations now. Obviously someone in the council is getting a back hander. If the council is serious, why not weed out and expose the correct councilors who receive these illegal rents.

I actually like going to the beach, rent a deckchair, get a coconut and read my book. However I go up near soi 4. Much quieter and cleaner.

50% less deck chairs would be great. But I won't be holding my breath waiting.

Yes, I have the weekend off work, so I go to relax on the beach under one of the ripped, stained umbrellas. It is a novelty for the new Pattaya vacationer to sit and be "entertained" by an endless stream of vendors (Missssssssster, you want necklace...sunglasses....coconut oil....swimming shorts....wooden elephant... silk(?) bedspread.... cap/hat....donut...tatoo....fried shrimp....icecream....???????????????? - The begging goes on. ) For me, I find the seating along Beach Road like sitting in a theater- but no popcorn. The worse part is how the city has NO trash bens along every block; thus, people just leave their plastic dishes and cups anywhere. --Can't blame them, one has to walk a kilometer in order to find a garbage bin. The city only cares about collecting money, not making repairs or enforcing rules. I doubt the city officials even walk around Pattaya to know about the garbage allong the walkways, lack of trash cans/bins, dangerous sidewaks, or speeding traffic. They do know about their bank accounts.

It's the boys and girls that are the main drawcard of Pattaya not the beach, who you trying to kid?

JH

Oh my god, this issue is just like the "we will take measures to prevent flooding" gem that gets an airing annually. :D

But perhaps if we bleat on about this forever instead of actually doing something, nobody will notice the beach disappearing before our very eyes so that there is no beach to fight over in the near future, hence problem solved!!!

BTW, if you believe the beach in Pattaya is public place then might I suggest you go to Wongamat and plonk yourself at the stretch of beach in front of Northpoint. Wait 5 minutes before a security guard comes to you and points to a sign that says Private Beach and proceeds to shoo you away.

Get out of The Pattaya forum then!!!!

A well thought out and constructive comment! Excuse me for trolling this hallowed ground. :whistling:

BTW, if you believe the beach in Pattaya is public place then might I suggest you go to Wongamat and plonk yourself at the stretch of beach in front of Northpoint. Wait 5 minutes before a security guard comes to you and points to a sign that says Private Beach and proceeds to shoo you away.

Next time tell him to go get a real policeman who will inform him that all beaches in Thailand are owned by HRM (if you don't believe me, carefully look for the cement markers above the beach )

Head of Senate tourism panel slams poor city management of Pattaya Beach

The chairwoman of the Senate’s Tourism Committee slammed poor city management of Pattaya Beach and said worsening environmental and leisure conditions are impeding efforts to attract high-end tourists.

At a July 20 hearing at the Dusit Thani Hotel, Thanyarat Ajariyachai said bookings at five- and three-star hotels in Pattaya have declined due to Pattaya Beach’s ongoing erosion problem, aging facilities and scams by beach vendors. She said the beach lacked proper management and control and said that unless something was done, Pattaya would quickly revert to a destination only for sex tourists.

http://www.pattayamail.com/localnews/head-of-senate-tourism-panel-slams-poor-city-management-of-pattaya-beach-5209

This was a few months ago and again it seems that nothing has changed

Is it any wonder I avoid Pattaya like the plague!!

Surely you are aware you are at Pattaya forum?

Most posters and readers here consider Pattaya their home. I guess what I'd like to know is, why are you lowering yourself by posting here, to our home town forum, if you dispise our town.

On topic,

didn't city hall plan a major beach char 'revolution' at Jomtien 3 years ago? Every section on Jomtien beach was to have only handful of chairs, instead of wall of chairs. What happened to that radical plan?

Edited by valgehiir

Hint: take the 30 baht fare to Koh Larn. White beaches, blue seas, lovely food, clean and room enough for everybody.

We went there yesterday for the first time. Took the 30B ferry. Not a bad trip, but I think a speed boat would be better. They really pack those ferries.

Tawaen is where we went. Packed with umbrellas and chairs. There was a stretch that only had beat up umbrellas and broken chairs laid out. I'm guessing there were there to discourage people from not paying for a place to sit? Literally no place to just sit if you don't want to pay. But the chairs we got were only 20B, and right on the water. Fantastic day.

Is it any wonder I avoid Pattaya like the plague!!

Surely you are aware you are at Pattaya forum?

Most posters and readers here consider Pattaya their home. I guess what I'd like to know is, why are you lowering yourself by posting here, to our home town forum, if you dispise our town.

On topic,

didn't city hall plan a major beach char 'revolution' at Jomtien 3 years ago? Every section on Jomtien beach was to have only handful of chairs, instead of wall of chairs. What happened to that radical plan?

It's a good plan but there is a problem.... Thai police dont enforce the laws. They exploit the laws(and citizens) for personal profits.

Thai Police are not in the crime fighting business. They are in the crime business.

Who you gonna call?

Hint: take the 30 baht fare to Koh Larn. White beaches, blue seas, lovely food, clean and room enough for everybody.

It's a good place to hire a jetski without getting scammed... also less boat traffic.

I'd disagree about the lovely food and clean though... there's plenty of floating and washed up garbage. When my friend asked about an ashtray he was directed to use the sand. There were dogs shitting all over the place.

Edited by tropo