Word To The Wise!

Mapguy

Recently, I visited Rimping near the river. I always check the marketing prices as the clerk scans the goods. This is not easy, of course, since they can do so very quickly, but I have become quite good at it. It just takes practice.

Anyway, when it comes to totaling things up, that's when I am really careful. I NEVER pay the exact amount. I always, use a big bill, so I can carefully calculate the change I receive in return. (I have had some complaints in the past from people behind me that I am delaying their departure. And drippy ice cream on the rubber moving belt does make a mess, after all!), so I try to be considerate of others. I check the register and count my change, of course! Who doesn't ?!

Well, this time I received 100 baht too much!

Just wanted to be sure you know! So, you can try it out, it is the cashier on the far left lane. She is about 40 years of age, as far as I can tell. It is hard to tell sometimes; they are so cute for a long time! But she does wear glasses with brown frames! That's why I think she was easy to remember. She had a "certain look."

Anyway, I got a nice cookie with my 100 baht at Butter Is Better!!!

WISH YOU GOOD LUCK!

Edited by Mapguy

Not a whole hundred baht, surely?

It must have made your day.

So, OP, you have "become quite good at it" huh? Ripping off under-paid Thai staff who then DO have to make up for their errors (you, of course, never made one?) while you enjoyed your measly, ill-gotten 100 baht.

I always used to respect your posts.

Used to!

If the till balance does not tally at the end of the shift, then the cashier has to make up the difference.

Similar happened to me at Tesco Lotus a few months ago. A young lady cashier gave me 50 baht too much change. I noticed and returned the 50 baht to the little girl on the till and then with a smile gave her a polite warning to be more careful in the future.

As for our mapguy, not the sort of person I would choose as a pal. Sly and cunning like a shitehouse rat.

That 100 baht of ill-gotten gain will not bring him luck. What goes around, comes around.

Well that's not very honest is it? If a cashier gives me to much I ALWAYS hand it back. Keeping it when you know it is too much is theft. And besides the poor girl gets it docked - a 100 baht is big money to some of these ladies - and it's FA to you. So I suggest you go back to Rimping and find this woman and give it back. Not nice to admit you are a thief on this forum, is it?

This has happened to me before. When I pointed the error in change to the clerk they looked at me as if I was a complete idiot....

A first they can't comprehend that they have made a mistake....

When then finally accept that there is a mistake, they look for where they have short changed me.

But they can't see the short change... they are flummoxed.

Then it dawns on them that their mistake is not to short change me, but they have 'over changed me'.

There is a moment of 'rabbit in the headlights' hesitation as it dawns on them that I am honest.

Then they look at me as if I'm an idiot for wasting their time, making them loose face for pointing out a mistake that benefited me !....

It appears as though some would rather I just walk off with the extra money than point out a mistake to them.

Others of course are grateful.

It is also noted that the 'short changing' is more common than 'over changing'....

As for our mapguy, not the sort of person I would choose as a pal. Sly and cunning like a shitehouse rat.

I'm trying to imagine your embarrassment at this point but find it difficult to do so.

100 bath .thats 3.78 australian .that is one of the things i dislike living in thailand there are so many tight arse westerners when i used to travel by train or bus .and listening to backpackers braging how they got a hut on the beach for 150 bath a night .and paid 89 bath for the long tail boat to the island .thank goodness you dont get too many backpackers on flights in thailand .and out friend who ripped off the cashier .have anice day . james hat yai :rolleyes:

The thing about this posting is that the humor, such as it is, depends on the imagined reader paying obsessive attention to other threads. The quotation marks around "certain look" could be there just to call attention to the phrase itself. It would have made far more sense to have posted this entry in the thread it referred to. If someone hadn't carefully read that other thread, how would they know that this was a joke? So I don't think that anyone needs to feel ashamed for possibly having a life outside of thaivisa.com.