Any Alternative To True For Satelite Tv?

TigerWan

Last nite watching TV, at several intervals I actually had 6 pop up ads on the screen at one time, three from True and three from the program channel. Having a 19 inch TV left no room for the program. And the crap selection of movies, lack of Al Jazeerah news- even with "Platimum" package, incredibly loud commercials, etc etc etc etc., and for more money than back home.. I have just had it with this greedy conglomerate, any satelite alternatives to it ? Or cable? Is there any English language TV available in North Bang Tao Beach with just an antennae?

I went without TV in the States, made me a far more productive person, but now as a alien in an alien land, feel I need some English speaking background noise.

I cannot get any English radio stations where I'm at either. So, please.. Any suggestions as to alternatives to True Vision ?

Thanks TW

KPP Cable, not sure if they are in your area, has Al Jzeera, BBC, Fox News & Australia Network which should satisfy your English news needs. They also have a couple of English sports & entertainment channels. If there are any TV shows you really want to watch I suggest you download them & view at your leisure.

Is HBO HD movies not widely respected as one of the best dedicated movie channels in the world? I don't think you will find better with an alternative providor...

A general guide to the farang Phuket cable channels

GOAL TV, ASTRO SUPER SPORTS, ASTRO SUPER SPORTS 2, G GOLF, GOAL TV 1, OUTDOOR, UNIVERSAL, SCI FI, TRANS TV, BOOMERANG, TAN NETWORK, AL JAZHEERA, NHK WORLD, KBS, BBC WORLD NEWS, TV5 MONDE, AUSTRALIA NETWORK, ZEE TV, CHANNEL NEWS ASIA, RAI ITALIA, PTP, FRANCE 24, BLOOMBERG, CHANNEL V, MUSIC LIFESTYLE, FASHION TV, RTP, GRANADA

Back to the OP, switch to Astro the Mayalsian sat service, cheaper, better, cleaner and no Thai adverts. 14 HD chanels so far with more promised. I wouldn't go back to UBC if it was free.

True is much better for the premierleague

My wife doesn't watch a great deal of TV, and whilst her English skills are quite good, she still appreciates the Thai subtitles for movies, plus catching up on the national news occasionally.

Back to the OP, switch to Astro the Mayalsian sat service, cheaper, better, cleaner and no Thai adverts. 14 HD chanels so far with more promised. I wouldn't go back to UBC if it was free.

If Astro lacks metro sexual boys running after leather sack then that would be my choice. :)

How to get Astro in Phuket? What are installation and monthly fees?

Huh. That's quite hefty. Have to rethink True. I used to have True some 4 years ago and if I recall correctly there was not too many adds displayed at least on movie channels. The price was half of that. Maybe things have changed.

Anyway I would like to see the boys driving like crazy on a round track.

Huh. That's quite hefty. Have to rethink True. I used to have True some 4 years ago and if I recall correctly there was not too many adds displayed at least on movie channels. The price was half of that. Maybe things have changed.

Well you can do that almost anywhere in Phuket...smile.gif

You should talk with Mel.

You should talk with Mel.

No new Astro subscriptions at the moment, they're having some problems with the cards.

Well you can do that almost anywhere in Phuket...smile.gif

Almost everywhere. In this forgotten place there is no pubs nor places to watch F1. If going to further away, then the way back will be foggy as there not an real possibility to watch the race without any beers :)

Do we have anybody here living in North East Phuket?

If you use the internet connection and get VPN,

Then a TV box sending it to your TV.

Often you can download program for free or for a small fee get it directly or save it, for you to decide when you like to watch it, when you wanted.

Even on a tablet if that is better for you....

Find a computer friend to set it up for you, if you don`t feel you can do it...

Often you can download program for free or for a small fee get it directly or save it, for you to decide when you like to watch it, when you wanted.

VPN is only the conduit by which to receive, in this case, an internet media connection. Doesn't solve the problem of the actual source finding though, which can be expensive if talking about say 'Slingbox' routing (as an example) Sky TV from the UK. Additionally, though these systems do work, they're dependent on consistent internet reception quality.

For all of it's sins, True still offers the broadest range of programming and quality in Thailand (don't know where the original OP gets his on-screen ads from, because the only 'in programme' advertising that I've ever seen are actually from the US originating channels such as Fox etc). I never get them in any of the core movie channels such as 42,43,44,45 and 121). Incidentally, Formula 1 racing has been shown consistently on Channel 108 (ESPN).

True certainly isn't perfect, but for the broad (and Thai) content, consistency (i.e. no mid programme channel changes as frequently happens in cable), and quality of reception (particularly with the HD channels available), it's the best of what's not a very good deal.

If you have a source of good quality downloaded TV and films to watch as a back up, it's as good as it gets. The best media is available for free.

VPN is only the conduit by which to receive, in this case, an internet media connection. Doesn't solve the problem of the actual source finding though, which can be expensive if talking about say 'Slingbox' routing (as an example) Sky TV from the UK. Additionally, though these systems do work, they're dependent on consistent internet reception quality.

For all of it's sins, True still offers the broadest range of programming and quality in Thailand (don't know where the original OP gets his on-screen ads from, because the only 'in programme' advertising that I've ever seen are actually from the US originating channels such as Fox etc). I never get them in any of the core movie channels such as 42,43,44,45 and 121). Incidentally, Formula 1 racing has been shown consistently on Channel 108 (ESPN).

True certainly isn't perfect, but for the broad (and Thai) content, consistency (i.e. no mid programme channel changes as frequently happens in cable), and quality of reception (particularly with the HD channels available), it's the best of what's not a very good deal.

If you have a source of good quality downloaded TV and films to watch as a back up, it's as good as it gets. The best media is available for free.

More details:

In U.S. RELEASED LAST YEAR: Apple TV 2 was one of the final products Steve Jobs launched..

SIMPLE: The remote control for Apple TV 2 is not exactly crowded, but does the job.

CONNECTIONS: Power, HDMI, micro-USB, optical audio and Ethernet. The box also features built-in wireless network with N-standard.

GETTING THE AMERICAN ITUNES ACCOUNT: Get a U.S. iTunes account in order to rent movies and TV series from the United States. Remember to switch countries to the United States at the top of the first window where you must approve the terms of use. If you need a U.S. address to register, you can get this via Jetcarrier. .

The box costs around 4,500 bath, which can not be said to be too great investment - especially in terms of what you can get out of it.

How you get it from the store gives box instant access to a lot of fun. But if you are willing to go a step further, you can open up an entertainment center that far outperforms everything else on the market.

Small and simple

First of all we take for ourselves what it is you get out of the box. ATV2 is, as with most other Apple products, a very simple gadget to deal with right from the start. The "little black" is not much bigger than a hockey puck, and is ready for use immediately after you have put into power, plugged it into the TV with an HDMI cable and entering your iTunes account information.

With the small, silver remote with only three buttons give you quick access to iTunes' movie store, where it now is a thousand films of various quality.

Having connected the box up to your iTunes account, you also get immediate access to the content - movies, music and photos - you may already have connected to your iTunes library on another machine on the same network, if this stands. Also music and pictures you have on icloud will after the last update appear on the TV screen. Content that is not supported by iTunes, you however do not streamed directly without any further - but this will come back to.

Another handy feature is AirPlay. With this you can stream stuff from your iPhone or iPod directly to the TV. This makes it as easy to show pictures or videos from your mobile phone in the living room, or send music from your phone - also from services Wimp and Spotify - the living room speakers.

Do you have an iPad 2 or an iPhone 4S, you'll also be able to reflect everything that is on the screen of the device up on the TV screen, such as opening up for you to play mobile games on the TV, something more and more games have their own functions.

Movies and series from the U.S.

That ATV2 only now been launched in Norway, does not mean that the first is now Europeans have begun to buy it. With a price of only $ 99 in the United States has long been a favorite souvenir from overseas trips, simply because it is also very easy to rent movies and television shows from the U.S. iTunes.

The reason why you want this is that selection is a lot bigger - at a cheaper price. In the U.S. iTunes also have a wide variety television shows.

Thus, for example, you see the episodes from series like "Dexter," "The Walking Dead" or fresh "Pan Am", the day after they aired on television in the United States. It takes a long time before we see similar deals in Thailand.

It is not difficult to "move" to the U.S. on ATV2. All you need is to create a U.S. iTunes account. Then fill in the money in the account, which is most easily done by buying U.S. iTunes card because the service would usually take U.S. credit cards and PayPal accounts. These gift certificates can (in addition to the U.S. Apple stores) available at various websites - including eBay.

When you have a U.S. iTunes account with credit, you can easily switch countries from Thailand to the United States in the settings on ATV2, and log in with your email address you used on the U.S. account. More is not to get full access to one of the world's most comprehensive digital video stores.

Good quality

Whether you rent movies from the Thailand or U.S. iTunes (it's easy to switch back and forth), the quality is impeccable. Many of the films, and all the new, are available in HD resolution (max 720p), and a test for both wired and wireless networks at home gave a very smooth playback.

Also online services like YouTube and Vimeo, radio stations, podcasts, and NHL and MLB broadcasts of special interests, floats like a dream - the videos here playing with crystal clear picture (as long as the source is good) without significant buffering.

This clearly shows that when the product is designed for one thing: to play the video, made the return very well. Previous experience with a standard PC connected to your TV has nearly given an equally smooth and user experience.

The only catch with movie rentals from the U.S., of course, is the lack of subtitles.

Netflix with no problems

For many, it will largely stay with access to U.S. iTunes to be satisfied. But there's a lot more goodies to pick from the Apple TV if you want to go a step further.

The film offers on the net come very much shorter in Thailand than it has in the United States. They include long had "films in response to Spotify," Netflix - a service that allows you to stream as much as you want from a rich archive of films and television shows for a low monthly price.

The solution to watch Netflix content in Thailand has previously been to use a so-called VPN account, which receives services to believe that you are in a different country than you really are in. As ATV2 not support VPN, it has long been difficult to take advantage of Netflix, like when you have a U.S. iTunes account is a standard program on the menubar.

But now it's easier than ever. Thanks to the relatively recent service Unblock Us just by replacing a series of numbers in the network settings on the box, and then have access to Netflix without any problems. A good guide to this can be found at Mac1. With this service, you have the rest of the supply of other U.S. Internet services - on all machines you may have in the home.

It has never been easier to watch movies from the service in Thailand, and never before seen better. It streams movies and TV shows in HD without problems, while on my HTPC and other devices have chopped in HD and not been entirely satisfactory in lower resolution.

To take advantage of Netflix, you must of course have a Netflix account. Again, you must have a U.S. address by hand, but in return you have the option to pay for the service with your Thai credit.

The total cost Netflix and Unblock Us around 1,600 Bath a month, which can not be said to be a lot of free access to all movies and TV series service has built. Until we get the opportunity to pay for such service in Thailand, I have no problems sending my money to the United States.

Local streaming of files

As previously written, you have basically not able to stream local files from a PC, Mac or NAS server ATV2, with the exception of those located in the iTunes library.

For those who had to sit on the other files - it's not going to ignore that a lot of downloading things in Thailand - it is still possible to view other video files on ATV2, such as high definition files of the MKV format (up to 720p ).

An easy way to do this if you have a Mac is to run the program Subler locally on your machine, as described in a guide from Mac1. This makes the incompatible MKV files to compatible M4V files in a snap, and allows you to also watch iTunes movies with text if you wish.

A more comprehensive action requires that you called jailbreak ATV2, a process that is not quite easy for the uninitiated - but also not worse than that you can easily do that by following this guide (ask any help from your permanent support-friend / family member / colleague / neighbor). To do this you need a micro USB cable, not included with the purchase.

It is possible once your ATV2 is jailbroken, is that you can install more advanced media center applications. Although I have gone for XBMC, an omnivorous and well-developed solution that gives you full access to all of your media files on local computers on your network.

Installing this is even more tortuous than jailbreaking and requires manual input via a SSH client.

When XBMC (or other solution) is installed, start it as any other menu choices on the main menu to ATV2, and easily jump out again afterwards.

Just remember that by jailbreak ATV2, you are in danger of breaking the warranty. Should you do something wrong, or regret for any reason, it is nevertheless not worse than to restore the device - when is it good as new.

A warp

Given that you often have to pay thousands of dollars for similar solutions to other TV-connected machines, there is a faint warp when relatively simple to get all this out of a ATV2 to 4,500 bath.

After receiving a completed Prepared ATV2 into the room, all previous solutions - and a long way cable television box - have been discarded in favor of television content is now available with a few simple keystrokes. Completely legal, it is also.

So far, all my digital antics been so difficult to use that I have been having them for myself. With ATV2 in the living room is now so easy to rent, buy and stream movies and TV series that I recently for the first time felt that my better half got comfortable with Netflix and started an episode of "Grey's Anatomy" - on their own.

^

Not sure what that post is all about........however, a few comments about Apple TV. Firstly, you can't currently buy it in Thailand (the reason being is that Thailand doesn't have an iTunes Store so they think it won't be of any interest). The current model (ATV2) acts only as a conduit to get (wirelessly) from your iTunes account in your computer, to your TV (this via a HDMI to HDMI connection and turning on 'Home Sharing'). The previous model actually had it's own hard drive, so you stored whatever you wanted to the ATV, and then watched it. You need to convert any of your stored media to mp4 and install it in iTunes to get any benefit. ('Handbrake' is a good conversion tool).

If it's set up properly, it's a good way of getting your current media onto your TV, but I seriously can't see where else it's going to enhance anyones viewing experience (unless we're back into the VPN contortion scenario again, through another country iTunes account).

I have a much easier and cheaper solution. Bit torrents. I use my older Apple laptop for my player connected to my TV and my network to grab files and my newer MacBook Pro connected to a 2 TB firewire 800 hard drive and the internet constantly downloading. When It starts to fill up I transfer the files to one of my 2 TB USB drives for archive. I have complete TV series, and any movie I can think of... Free, other than the hard drives... I did see a box, I think it was by Netgear that might be good. It has HDMI and analog outputs and it connects to your wifi. You can plug a USB drive into it also. I think it was about $100. So you can stream from your computer to it, use it to stream off the internet or just plug a 2 TB drive in and enjoy. By the way, Pan Am was canceled. I've already watched all of the episodes. I'm re watching NCIS from the beginning and am on the third year and have all of the seasons up to season 9 episodes that have aired. Plus classic TV series like Rawhide, Dick Van Dyke, My Three Sons, Gunsmoke, etc, etc. I've found streaming sports to be a bit iffy, with the internet here. I have 2 ISPs and I'm not sure if it's the source or my internet, but the stream seems pretty choppy at times. Plus the games are on at 1 AM and 4 AM, but sometimes I can even find them in a couple of days on bit torrents.

I dont agree.

I switched to Astro a month ago..... far better than True.

I no longer have to listen to 3 clueless muppets rabbiting on in Thai.

With Astro, at least you have professionals discussing the football in English.

Watching football in HD is also far better.

I dont agree.

I switched to Astro a month ago..... far better than True.

I no longer have to listen to 3 clueless muppets rabbiting on in Thai.

With Astro, at least you have professionals discussing the football in English.

Watching football in HD is also far better.

True Sports HD is all in english

Plus they show 90% of all the live games compared to about 30% on Astro

Its only the installation cost which is pricey (around 25k unless you have landline, then its much cheaper) The actual yearly cost is about 25k (thats pretty much every programme, including HD on some)

When I cancelled True, it was costing me about that per year

I have a much easier and cheaper solution. Bit torrents. I use my older Apple laptop for my player connected to my TV and my network to grab files and my newer MacBook Pro connected to a 2 TB firewire 800 hard drive and the internet constantly downloading. When It starts to fill up I transfer the files to one of my 2 TB USB drives for archive. I have complete TV series, and any movie I can think of... Free, other than the hard drives... I did see a box, I think it was by Netgear that might be good. It has HDMI and analog outputs and it connects to your wifi. You can plug a USB drive into it also. I think it was about $100. So you can stream from your computer to it, use it to stream off the internet or just plug a 2 TB drive in and enjoy. By the way, Pan Am was canceled. I've already watched all of the episodes. I'm re watching NCIS from the beginning and am on the third year and have all of the seasons up to season 9 episodes that have aired. Plus classic TV series like Rawhide, Dick Van Dyke, My Three Sons, Gunsmoke, etc, etc. I've found streaming sports to be a bit iffy, with the internet here. I have 2 ISPs and I'm not sure if it's the source or my internet, but the stream seems pretty choppy at times. Plus the games are on at 1 AM and 4 AM, but sometimes I can even find them in a couple of days on bit torrents.

Torrents of course are only for past events, not live. True Sports has virtually all of the English Premier League live, and on Saturdays, 3 matches in HD (1245, 1500, 1715). Apple TV is good for streaming from your computer to TV, wireless from your computer's iTunes Library to AP, then HDMI to TV. However, you do have to convert all of your files to mp4 format (for iTunes), but that's not really an issue using Handbrake, just time consuming.