Mae Sod Border Run

• 1 year later...

Has anyone done a Mae Sod visa run recently?

Passport

photos

copy of passport

$10 or 500฿ crisp and unmarked

Anything else in terms of documents?

I am on a triple entry tourist visa so I hope to nip in and out and get the next 60-day instalment.

There is a thread on the Central Thailand forum about visa runs to Mae Sot, with no mention of a closed border (ignore the so-called "humorous banter"). I have been planning on going tomorrow so will check with NS immigration that all is OK.

Very friendly and helpful Myanmar and Thai staff at the border, farangs seem to get priority treatment for some reason. Also it's nothing like as busy as Laos or Cambodia which makes things a lot easier.

• 1 year later...

Passport and 500bht. No copies required since years ago.

Made the crossing myself recently as did a friend just last week.

Still a nice quiet crossing for a farang but the mountain road is getting busier and can be a pain with the increase in slow moving lorries.

• 2 weeks later...

I crossed here the other day.

Only passport required and then $10 on the Burmese side.

Interestingly, they stamp you in and out immediately on the Burmese side so there is no need to be stamped out as you have been stamped out immediately.

Also the Thai side was pulling aside visa runners who had used visa exempt entries back-to-back for several months and grilling them in an interview room.

how much space in your passport does this crossing take ? Is it just 4 in and out smallish square stamps (about half a passport page if done neatly?) Might be able to squeeze in an extra visa run before having to renew my passport.

That is correct, 4 small stamps taking up about 40% of a passport page. No stickers.

• 2 weeks later...