Report: Getting A Free Overseas Atm Card In Uk

Background

I'm living in Thailand, banked with Nationwide, was hit with the fees like a lot of people. Returned to UK a month ago, coming back to Thailand in a week or so. Having followed the forum for years, I knew where to go to try and get free bank cards.

My credit is good, about 60k+ with nationwide, had barclaycard 20years plus, never a late payment etc.

The experience ...

Norwich and Peterborough

I live in Northampton and the branch has closed, and so I phoned head office and explained what I wanted to do, have a savings account, put a years money in, then drip feed it into a debit card with free atm use. If I can do that, I'll move all my savings into a longer term bond. She said that's fine, the instant access will be 1% gross though, and the nearest branch is Oundle. So, an appointment was made.

It was two hours there and back, and about eight pounds. Oundle is nothing, I mean, one street. I arrived early, got a free cuppa, and spoke to a young woman. The explanation was different, she said the card needs five cash transactions on it a month or it's five pounds. OK, no problem. But also, the 1% gross instant access, that's if you make less then two withdrawals in a year, other wise it's 0.01%.

OK, I'd come all that way, so I went for it. I got through electronic verification OK, which means she didn't even look at my ID. Then I had to answer a few questions etc. She put that through, but it blocked and was referred to head office. She said not to worry, just give her a check for a grand and she'll get back to me. So, I wrote the check, signed the papers and left.

A while later a cashcard and pin turned up (with a grand in), but this was only the instant access, no visa symbol on it.

Then a letter turned up saying there was a discrepancy on the information I had given. I phoned and found out that when I'd answered 'time at this address' the answer I'd given didn't tally with how long I'd been on the electoral register (didn't put myself on for the first year). So, the account was declined. The letter then implied tried to hard-sell me a credit report. So, for the next four days I emptied the account via atm and now I have a bank card as a souvenir. Plus, a refused account on my credit record (idiots).

Metrobank

Oh God, this couldn't have been more different. I went to the branch in Tottenham Court Road, ultra-convenient, three minutes from the tube stop, two minutes from my favourite bookshop. I had two forms of ID and a cheque book, hoping for the free debit card. I'd already phoned and was told there are no appointments, just go. I arrived, was welcomed and given tea and waited for about ten minutes. There were signs up saying the debit card was free for abroad. When a young man was ready to see me I pointed to the posters and said I want one like that.

He couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. I explained what I wanted, basically the same. Instant access with a years cash in it linked to a free debit card. No problem. It'll be 1% gross, unlimited withdrawals. We filled in all the forms and he explained what it all meant, very fair, and gave me a few warnings about how much the credit cost in total, very upfront. Then he left me alone at the keyboard to choose my web passwords. Then he said I can have a creditcard also. Free for one year, 12% thereafter. OK I said. He asked what limits I want, I asked for 500 overdraft and a grand on the credit card. He said no problem. Then he went and CAME BACK WITH THE CARDS there, in the store, with my name on. I chose my own pins in a special little machine and I was done.

That is it. I had walked in with ID and a checkbook, I walked out with a debit and credit card, ready to go with pins and passwords, 1500.00 sterling in credit and a folder with all the terms and conditions. FANTASTIC.

I'm still in the UK now, hoping to get back next week, so I can't verify the cards are definitely OK in Thailand, but I've been using both of them here, they work OK, have received direct debits (they're both mastercards), and so, it's looking pretty good so far.

Conclusion: ... er, I recommend Metrobank for the Brit expat. I'll come back perhaps to confirm the cards are indeed free overseas.

So i was thinking of joining the metrobank too because of the free ATM withdrawals, but i was wondering how much will we be charged by Thai banks for using the card?

Is it 150 baht and is there any ATM in Thailand that does not charge this if so?

Also what will would the exchange rate be, would it be similar to most high street banks or less since your getting the free ATM withdrawals?

Appreciate the time you took to give a detailed report, really useful to know.

notasmartassknowitallfarag = Aeon machines that I have used in the past dont charge the 150 baht fee, the best method in my experience is DONT use an ATM, take your passport and go inside the bank and ask them to do it manually, ask for a larger sum than the ATM gives, you save on fees and the number of times you need to use.

Edited by CharlieH

So i was thinking of joining the metrobank too because of the free ATM withdrawals, but i was wondering how much will we be charged by Thai banks for using the card?

Is it 150 baht and is there any ATM in Thailand that does not charge this if so?

Also what will would the exchange rate be, would it be similar to most high street banks or less since your getting the free ATM withdrawals?

AEON ATMs do not charge the 150 baht fee..

Appreciate the time you took to give a detailed report, really useful to know.

notasmartassknowitallfarag = Aeon machines that I have used in the past dont charge the 150 baht fee, the best method in my experience is DONT use an ATM, take your passport and go inside the bank and ask them to do it manually, ask for a larger sum than the ATM gives, you save on fees and the number of times you need to use.

Could you give an example of the fee(s) and exchange rate associated with going inside the bank and asking them to do it manually. I've heard there is a fee(s) and the exchange rate is lower?

Could you give an example of the fee(s) and exchange rate associated with going inside the bank and asking them to do it manually. I've heard there is a fee(s) and the exchange rate is lower?

@CharlieH

In a different thread I have put some detailed questions like those of Pib.

My intention is to verify, that there isn't another disadvantage going to the cashier inside the bank. My card issuing bank would book a fee higher than the 150 THB per withdrawal (=contract).

I hope you are not irritated by my request. Your answer would be useful for all of us.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with N&P. I have been delighted with them thus far, i opened my account with them over the telephone, set up internet use and just make sure that i comply with the 5 transactions a month rule which is quite easy to do in 10 minutes on the net if need be.

There is no interest payable with the account but i feed it from an account that does pay a reasonable rate.

From what others have said Metro bank seems to be as good if not better (no transaction quotas) so as long as you can get to an Aeon atm while in Thailand, you should enjoy free cash withdrawals

Well I'm glad some people found that useful.

To answer the questions. Before leaving Thailand I was drawing over the counter at Ayuthya bank (the yellow one). There was no charge and the rate was the interbank one, i.e. there was no 150 baht charge from Thailand but Nationwide charged me about a fiver each time.

The cards Metrobank issued were valid for one year, which is fine as I would be returning about then, but they're very, VERY helpful... and making the cards in-store, so you could perhaps ask for a longer validity.

I did ask what exchange-rate I would get when drawing money, and the guy told me it would be 'the mastercard base-rate'. I've no idea if that's the interbank rate or whatever, but I'll experiment when I get back (IF I get back, flipping airport;'s on strike next week now), and let you know. I'll probably bring cash and live on the for a while though.

I can't believe no one else has got and reported on Metrobank. I mean, how many of us are there? How many times has it been mentioned here?

But you need to be UK resident to get either of the N&P or Metrobank accounts right?

Right.

But 'UK resident' can be very broad (as the UK 1971 immigration act is very vague with the definition). I, for example, am a domiciled UK resident, though I've not stayed in somewhere in the UK that isn't a hotel or similar since about 1993. My postal address is my niece's place; I've never ever been there (it's in some village), and as far as I know, I'm not breaking any laws.

"Then a letter turned up saying there was a discrepancy on the information I had given. I phoned and found out that when I'd answered 'time at this address' the answer I'd given didn't tally with how long I'd been on the electoral register (didn't put myself on for the first year). So, the account was declined."

It takes a special sort of moron to decline a savings account which cannot have a debit balance for this reason. However, N&P are not the only such morons around; Halifax are equally daft as I found out last year.

Other banks are much more sensible.

But you need to be UK resident to get either of the N&P or Metrobank accounts right?

Right.

But 'UK resident' can be very broad (as the UK 1971 immigration act is very vague with the definition). I, for example, am a domiciled UK resident, though I've not stayed in somewhere in the UK that isn't a hotel or similar since about 1993. My postal address is my niece's place; I've never ever been there (it's in some village), and as far as I know, I'm not breaking any laws.

But I don't want to be considered 'UK resident' or even a domiciled non UK resident and I haven't been on an electoral register since 1984.

I got stumped by Nationwide last autumn but had to put up with it til I went back to the UK.

Straight down to METROBANK IN Southampton Row, accross the road from Holborn Tube. Opened up and on the spot, card the whole shooting match in about 15 minutes, what a difference.

I HAVE BEEN USING THE CARD IN THAILAND EVER SINCE.

I go inside the Bank here to do the transaction to avoid the 150 bts.

Theres is a maximum you can withdraw in the day -----up to £300 which is roughly 14000bts.

Also I did tell METROBANK to make a note the account I would be in Thailand for about 9 months here is my thai tl number and as I had online banking they have my e mail.

No regrets they are good a lot better than Nationwide.

Your experience seems the same as mine.

O)ne more bit of information, any of their branches can issue you with a replacement card, in that branch straight away.

You need to provide a UK address, which they will check whilst you are there, they ask for 2 forms of ID, like passport and driving licence and a utility bill.

Well I'm glad some people found that useful.

To answer the questions. Before leaving Thailand I was drawing over the counter at Ayuthya bank (the yellow one). There was no charge and the rate was the interbank one, i.e. there was no 150 baht charge from Thailand but Nationwide charged me about a fiver each time.

The cards Metrobank issued were valid for one year, which is fine as I would be returning about then, but they're very, VERY helpful... and making the cards in-store, so you could perhaps ask for a longer validity.

I did ask what exchange-rate I would get when drawing money, and the guy told me it would be 'the mastercard base-rate'. I've no idea if that's the interbank rate or whatever, but I'll experiment when I get back (IF I get back, flipping airport;'s on strike next week now), and let you know. I'll probably bring cash and live on the for a while though.

I can't believe no one else has got and reported on Metrobank. I mean, how many of us are there? How many times has it been mentioned here?

I have found the rate to be just a little short of the rate on the screen I saw in the branch, however, I am not sure when the rate is applied, it seems to be a few days between when I withdraw the money and it comes out of the account, so not sure at which end it happens. But happy overall that I am not beeing screwed anymore.

@CharlieH

In a different thread I have put some detailed questions like those of Pib.

My intention is to verify, that there isn't another disadvantage going to the cashier inside the bank. My card issuing bank would book a fee higher than the 150 THB per withdrawal (=contract).

I hope you are not irritated by my request. Your answer would be useful for all of us.

The exchange rate is the same and there are no hidden charges for using a cashier in the branch, you just avoid the 150 bts charge at the ATM, dont get scammed, dont lose you card in the ATM. It may take a bit longer and you need to take your passport with you, but it is safer all round.