Thai Wife

ANDY DEAN

Hi Can anybody help me.

In Febuary I am going to marry my Thai fiancee.At present she is away with her mother and some other female members of her family for 10 days to get some sort of blessing/instruction from the local monks.

Can anybody tell me what this is about as she says she cant take her phone with her and will be uncontactable??? :o

Hi Andy - I must admit I have not heard of this before. My wife and I got married in Bangkok at the amphur, but there was never any "hens holiday" or "instruction at the wat" or whatever before the wedding...

What on earth would a bunch of monks be teaching her...?

This is not to say there is anything suspicious, but I would probably try carefully to find out a little more. If all is above board, she will give you all the info about what, where, when, how much etc without any difficulty - and I am sure she will.

Maybe it is a regional thing. Where is she from?

As for being unable to take her phone and being uncontactable I do think I would find that a little odd - not impossible, but odd. Mobile phone coverage does vary, depending on what company she is with, so if you are at all sceptical, check with the phone operator and ask if they have coverage in the area she will be travelling to/around.

Regarding the marriage - don't forget that a religious wedding is not legally recognised unless you also register at the amphur. It doesn't cost much (I think it was 1000 baht or maybe 500 when I got married).

They then give you a nice colourful certificate in Thai - one for each of you - and of course it has both your names, the date etc - all the usual stuff on a wedding certificate.

At the top is the Garuda (I think it's the official emblem of the government or something).

Once you get it, pay for an official translation to your home language from an accredited translation agency, then keep your copy of the original Thai certificate and the translation together in a safe place.

Get photocopies of all (front and back if anything on the reverse). You will need this if and when your new wife needs a visa to visit your home country.

I even scanned mine into the computer as a safety backup version.

Good luck with the wedding mate - I wish you and your fiance all the best.

:o

Edited by Greer

This sounds very strange. I don't know one Thai who has a cell phone who cannot be contacted 24/7. It's almost like they are relentlessly available, unless they are hiding something. That's the only explaination I can think of.

I also have never heard of a ten day blessing ceremony...a ten day Samui vacation? Now that I have heard of!

There is another thread on this somewhere. Not sure where you will have to do a search. Turned out everything was honest and above board. Well what i can remeber from it anyway. I dont think it is that unusual. Use the serach button and try finding the thread on it. :o

This sounds very strange. I don't know one Thai who has a cell phone who cannot be contacted 24/7. It's almost like they are relentlessly available, unless they are hiding something. That's the only explaination I can think of.

I also have never heard of a ten day blessing ceremony...a ten day Samui vacation? Now that I have heard of!

Sorry Felix, but that is rubbish. Coverage of mobile systems in the outer reaches is patchy at best. My wifes village has no mobile reception at all on any network. Everytime we have been there we can never get reception,the only way to contact anyone in the village, was to call the local shop and wait for them to go and fetch the person you wanted to speak to. Well until we had a landline put in the house now everyone pays the mother in law to use her phone instead.

Edited by daleyboy

It's not unusual for Thai's to go on religious retreats where they meditate for days on end. My wife was saying that she really should go for on one for two or three days, as she has not done so for quite a few years.

A farang friend went on one of these retreats and came back quite worn out. Farang legs are not used to being folded up for hours on end! :o

She will probably be with Nuns, not Monks, but that's a typical translation error. Ten days sounds a bit long, but she's not supposed to take her phone, so that sounds right.

You should try to get the name and location of the Wat, but I wouldn't be really suspicious unless you have other reasons to be so.

Sorry Felix, but that is rubbish. Coverage of mobile systems in the outer reaches is patchy at best. My wifes village has no mobile reception at all on any network. Everytime we have been there we can never get reception,the only way to contact anyone in the village, was to call the local shop and wait for them to go and fetch the person you wanted to speak to. Well until we had a landline put in the house now everyone pays the mother in law to use her phone instead.

True, in that some areas have little or no network coverage. However, it's not clear what this guy means. Does he mean no coverage or not taking the phone? "Can't take her phone with her." Why? Sounds fishy to me.

Ten day monk blessing ceremony??? Never heard of that.

Sorry Felix, but that is rubbish

Don't worry Daleyboy. Felix is just trying to get at a story :o:D

As for availability of mobile coverage. When me and my Mrs go up to the village in Chaiya Phum, the reception on both of our mobiles, is either non existant or at best 1 or 2 bars. If it's raining.....absolute zilch.

For info, both me and the Mrs have Thai mobiles and i also have a UK roaming mobile.

As for availability of mobile coverage. When me and my Mrs go up to the village in Chaiya Phum, the reception on both of our mobiles, is either non existant or at best 1 or 2 bars. If it's raining.....absolute zilch.

For info, both me and the Mrs have Thai mobiles and i also have a UK roaming mobile.

While I'm constantly looking for stories, this isn't one of them. But you seem to misunderstand: This guy isn't talking about a "coverage" problem. Everybody is talking about network coverage. He said: "Can't bring the phone." "Can't," not I can't get coverage where I'm going.

Just want to get the quotes right! :D

Hi Can anybody help me.

In Febuary I am going to marry my Thai fiancee.At present she is away with her mother and some other female members of her family for 10 days to get some sort of blessing/instruction from the local monks.

Can anybody tell me what this is about as she says she cant take her phone with her and will be uncontactable??? :o

Option One:

post-12229-1132581123.gif

Option Two:

She's just on a "cleansing" retreat at the local temple. These things are quite common and NO, you can't use your cell phone when you're on one. It's a RETREAT, that's kinda the whole point.

There is another thread on this somewhere. Not sure where you will have to do a search. Turned out everything was honest and above board. Well what i can remeber from it anyway. I dont think  it is that unusual. Use the serach button and try finding the thread on it. :o

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36920 this one ?

There is another thread on this somewhere. Not sure where you will have to do a search. Turned out everything was honest and above board. Well what i can remeber from it anyway. I dont think  it is that unusual. Use the serach button and try finding the thread on it. :D

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36920 this one ?

Good work, that exactly the one i was thinking of :o

Hi Can anybody help me.

Can anybody tell me what this is about as she says she cant take her phone with her and will be uncontactable??? :D

Yes, there are many thai people likes to spend 7-10 days in the temple and learning Meditation and it is not allowed to use telephone in order to let the Buddist who has to learn the Buddha's lesson and need strongly concentration. That is good that your girl friend decided to do it. Dont worry, 10 days are not long :o my little sister joined 7 days in the Temple too last 2 weeks.

While I'm constantly looking for stories, this isn't one of them. But you seem to misunderstand: This guy isn't talking about a "coverage" problem. Everybody is talking about network coverage. He said: "Can't bring the phone." "Can't," not I can't get coverage where I'm going.

Just want to get the quotes right! :D

Felix, it was "tongue in cheek" buddy :D and i know the OP stated that she "couldn't" take her phone.

However you answered by saying "I don't know one Thai who has a cell phone who cannot be contacted 24/7. It's almost like they are relentlessly available, unless they are hiding " it is this quote that Daleyboy and myself where responding to. They are "Not" always available.

Just want to get the quotes right :D:D

For the average Thai girl that I know, a meditation retreat wouldn't be necessary.

Just going 10 days without the mobile would be a real test of get rid of the 5 hinderances - Desire( to know what the bf had for dinner)

- Sloth(not being bothered to walk 5 minutes to speak face to face)

- Aversion(calling to tell the bf that there is a "rot dtit" in Bangkok)

- Restlessness(not being able to sit still for 5 minutes without sticking the mobile to the ear)

- Skeptical Doubt(Wondering if her mobile is ringing too just coz she hears one on the soap on telly)

For the average Thai girl that I know, a meditation retreat wouldn't be necessary.

Just going 10 days without the mobile would be a real test of get rid of the 5 hinderances - Desire( to know what the bf had for dinner)

-  Aversion(calling to tell the bf that there is a "rot dtit" in Bangkok)

- Restlessness(not being able to sit still for 5 minutes without sticking the mobile to the ear)

- Skeptical Doubt(Wondering if her mobile is ringing too just coz she hears one on the soap on telly)

Hehe!!!!! Very observant! Just to offer some reassurance to the OP. This is sort of normal. When my wife of 5 years told me that she was going to be a nun for a week; I almost wetted myself laughing, knowing her! As suggested just ask her to explain all.....don't listen to the bitter cynics who tell you 24/7 phone coverage is normal. Out of the city my phone blinks out....so if hers does is this cause for concern. And....in the Wat...they are not supposed to use the phone....

Ignore the barfly cynics... although the above is so true!!!!!!

-  Aversion(calling to tell the bf that there is a "rot dtit" in Bangkok)

Hehe!!!!! Very observant! Just to offer some reassurance to the OP. This is sort of normal. When my wife of 5 years told me that she was going to be a nun for a week; I almost wetted myself laughing, knowing her! As suggested just ask her to explain all.....don't listen to the bitter cynics who tell you 24/7 phone coverage is normal. Out of the city my phone blinks out....so if hers does is this cause for concern. And....in the Wat...they are not supposed to use the phone....

Ignore the barfly cynics... although the above is so true!!!!!!

Fully agree. My wife frequently says how she's going to spend a month as a nun to clear her head, especially if she's just lost too much money on the lottery or playing cards :o It's her equivalent of going to confession where you get rid of past discretions and pray for no future temptations. I can easily see why someone about to get married would do this. Absolutely no mobiles allowed!

As a few people have said, this is quite a normal practice, they are embarking on a new life and therefore need to reconcile the past....to bring good karma to the new marriage. Certainly mobile phones are not allowed, For the time they are there they must forego the trappings of modern life and spend the time in contemplation, meditation and prayer.

She will come out a happier person, ready to embark on her new life. :o

Either that or she is taking the time to figure out how to get you to part with more cash.....(joking!!!!) :D