Indian Restaurant Row Developing In Pattaya

Jingthing

Across from the Nova Platinum Hotel, there are now three NEW Indian restaurants.

Two not yet open, one open for a few months.

Add to this the other Indian restaurants on the same road going towards Pattaya, plus the Beverly Plaza buffet place and you've got a destination Indian food neighborhood.

Anyway the two that haven't opened yet are Indian Touch (south Indian) and another place Something RASOI.

Already open is APMA Indian.

Across from the Nova Platinum and a few blocks towards Jomtien, it's on a corner.

Based on one visit, I can say relative to the LOW prices this place deserves more business than they are getting. If you do visit, you will get a friendly welcome. But sadly, a rave this ain't.

Had the vegetable somosa. 60 baht.

Two good sized ones served with a watery underflavored mint chutney.

The somosas were homemade and rustic. To my taste, the pastry was overcooked a bit, and the mushy filling was undercooked a bit. The flavors were OK but not remarkable.

The jeera rice at 60 baht. Not bad. Good flavor. Very large portion. A little too fatty for my taste. 60 baht

The chicken saag at 140 baht.

Large bowl of curry. On the watery side. The chicken served on the bone (which I prefer) but the PORTION of chicken unusually small even for Pattaya Indian restaurants. The curry flavor (called spicy) was rustic and well spiced. I liked the flavor. The SPINACH flavor was muted. Saag dishes when cooked with fresh spinach can SCREAM fresh spinach flavor. I don't see how this dish could have been cooked with fresh spinach, and if it was, they managed to de-fresh it.

Also on the LOW priced menu, thalis at 140 to 160 baht and masala dosa with sambar at only 80 baht.

Tandoori meats and breads on offer; don't know if they have a tandoor oven.

Overall, relative to the price, you can get a satisfying meal of well spiced, less than stellar Indian food there. Like I said, I think they deserve more business for what they provide for the money, but best to keep your expectations on the limited side.

Edited by Jingthing

When I go for an Indian around there, normally, it's one of the places on soi 16, heading towards the Sikh temple. Usually an excellent experience, but each to their own.

On the high street rents are very expensive, but that's life.

When I go for an Indian around there, normally, it's one of the places on soi 16, heading towards the Sikh temple. Usually an excellent experience, but each to their own.

On the high street rents are very expensive, but that's life.

Yeah I used to go to a place there but got bored with it. With so many new places opening, it's too tempting to me to try them out to see if there's better out there. I also won't pay high prices for Indian food, unless it's really worth it like at some of the fancy hotel buffets in Bangkok. It was fun "discovering" Punjabi Tadka to the board even though it has been inconsistent and now raised their prices. I don't think Apma is going to compete with Punjabi Tadka though, but hope springs eternal, new places opening!

Only have Indian once or twice a year and Ali Babba fits the bill nicely. Maybe on the pricey side and don't know authentic Indian from in-authentic but the taste is good and parking is easy.

What I need is a good middle-eastern/Lebanese recommendation(s).

I think your best bet is Shamy Taste Lebanese restaurant Phratamnak Road corner of Soi 17, South Pattaya (same district as the Indian row). BTW, the place jombom mentioned is roughly in the same district. It's called Lebanese but its really much more like Pan-Arabic. No alcohol served and closed during Ramadan.

A related cuisine, I wonder why more non-Iranians don't take advantage of the MANY quite decent Iranian restaurants in town.

Ali Baba I don't get, I found it to be an extremely heavy ghee laden style the one and only time I tried it. BTW, if you don't mind to get spendy for Indian, I suggest you might consider trying ZAIKA across from Royal Garden. The menu looks great and we had some positive comments on the forum as well. I've not been yet due to the price level (similar to Ali Baba).

Edited by Jingthing

Driving along there earler today and the Nova Platinum Hotel seems to have changed its name?

And it now advertised an Indian restaurant inside.

I wasn't aware they had changed their name. I named that hotel merely as a landmark. It's hard to deny there is a blossoming of Indian eateries in that part of town.

http://www.oamhotels.com/novaplatinum/

Edited by Jingthing

Only have Indian once or twice a year and Ali Babba fits the bill nicely. Maybe on the pricey side and don't know authentic Indian from in-authentic but the taste is good and parking is easy.

I think your best bet is Shamy Taste Lebanese restaurant Phratamnak Road corner of Soi 17, South Pattaya (same district as the Indian row). BTW, the place jombom mentioned is roughly in the same district. It's called Lebanese but its really much more like Pan-Arabic. No alcohol served and closed during Ramadan.

A related cuisine, I wonder why more non-Iranians don't take advantage of the MANY quite decent Iranian restaurants in town.

Ali Baba I don't get, I found it to be an extremely heavy ghee laden style the one and only time I tried it. BTW, if you don't mind to get spendy for Indian, I suggest you might consider trying ZAIKA across from Royal Garden. The menu looks great and we had some positive comments on the forum as well. I've not been yet due to the price level (similar to Ali Baba).

Will give Shamy a try. Any comments about the Iranian resto on 2nd Road opposite Central Beach?

As for Ali, its just the first Indian I was introduced to so its a habit and don't eat it much so don't really care.

so what is the fight about?

Nothing.

I too was hoping to read about a battle of the baltis, reading "Row" to mean " A boisterous disturbance or quarrel; a brawl", rather than "A series of objects placed next to each other".

'row' is Brit-speak, defined as above but not used elsewhere in the world

Will give Shamy a try. Any comments about the Iranian resto on 2nd Road opposite Central Beach?

As for Ali, its just the first Indian I was introduced to so its a habit and don't eat it much so don't really care.

You are speaking of Pardis.

The owner is very friendly but their prices are higher than the competition and I personally thought their food was not as good as the local competition. Also at the time I tried it, they didn't have sumac condiment, first time I've ever seen that at an Iranian restaurant. I also don't like the one across from Royal Garden. There are so many these days! Mostly they have strengths and weaknesses depending on the dish, but I can suggest Said on 2nd across from Tops Pattaya Klang, and the big place at the corner at the Beverly Plaza Hotel entrance (south Pattaya).

I should say if you are used to dining at fine Iranian restaurants in London or San Francisco, there is nothing in Pattaya that approaches them. But the food at most of them is quite serviceable and the price is right too.

Edited by Jingthing

so what is the fight about?

Nothing.

I too was hoping to read about a battle of the baltis, reading "Row" to mean " A boisterous disturbance or quarrel; a brawl", rather than "A series of objects placed next to each other".

'row' is Brit-speak, defined as above but not used elsewhere in the world

This is kind of funny. Yes I knew what a row is in the argument sense but I didn't get it in this context. I reckon the phrase "restaurant row" as in a concentration of restaurants on a street is perhaps an Americanism?

In New York City, there is a "curry row"; again a concentration of Indian restaurants not a fight. My relatives there told me its known as a place to take a date on cheap or was it to take a cheap date, I forget.

http://blog.brillianttrips.com/2010/09/new-york-citys-curry-restaurant-row/

JT, Any directions more specific than by the 'Nova Platinium hotel'.

Sorry but having a house I seldom pay attention to the names and locations of hotels.And I don't get down to Jomptien much..

Would like to give it a go as anywhere in town that is serving Southern Indian style food (Dosai etc) is worth trying.. I like the place opposite central (Madras Durbar) for Dosai but like everywhere else they have forgotton they are selling cheap Indian street food as it now has a gold plated price..

I love it when I have to go to Malaysia and Singas for work cos Jingly food is cheap as chips and Worldclass tasty there..

You are speaking of Pardis.

The owner is very friendly but their prices are higher than the competition and I personally thought their food was not as good as the local competition. Also at the time I tried it, they didn't have sumac condiment, first time I've ever seen that at an Iranian restaurant. I also don't like the one across from Royal Garden. There are so many these days! Mostly they have strengths and weaknesses depending on the dish, but I can suggest Said on 2nd across from Tops Pattaya Klang, and the big place at the corner at the Beverly Plaza Hotel entrance (south Pattaya).

I should say if you are used to dining at fine Iranian restaurants in London or San Francisco, there is nothing in Pattaya that approaches them. But the food at most of them is quite serviceable and the price is right too.

Thx for da feedback...I foresee some middle eastern meals in my near future.

Well, today I bought 2 large onions and 2 large red peppers. A bottle of Sharwoods Jalfrezi sauce was on standby. Also had 3 chicken breasts purchased yesterday.

Realising I was missing Basmati rice and Pappadoms, I went to visit the shop beside the Sikh Temple on soi 16 off second road.

Basmati 120 baht for 1 kg (other sorts available between 100 and 170 baht). Pappadoms 50 baht for 50.

Chopped most of it and boiled (simmered actually for 1 hour). Excellent home cuisine and very simple.

Forgot to buy Raita and Naan bread, but we survived for another day in paradise --- so who cares anyway. ?

Chicken Jalfrezi a la mode.

JT: I use to frequent that Indian row of restaurants in NYC a lot. Each restaurant had a "tout" outside, offering some kind of deal. Man, they are aggressive. As usual, stick to the special, and the price is great. Deviate just a bit, and the price goes way up. But great food and great fun for a night out...cheap date for sure!

JT: I use to frequent that Indian row of restaurants in NYC a lot. Each restaurant had a "tout" outside, offering some kind of deal. Man, they are aggressive. As usual, stick to the special, and the price is great. Deviate just a bit, and the price goes way up. But great food and great fun for a night out...cheap date for sure!

Yeah I ate there once obviously at one of the places but this was year's back and was told the food and prices are very similar at all the places. Cheap prices, OK food, but better than typical Pattaya cheap Indian food for sure. They seemed to be in a contest for the most over the top garish Indian decorations. Gotta love that.

Wife and I had a great Indian meal at a new (new owner and manager and chief) Indian restaurant next to Cherry's on 3rd road across from the old Xzyte disco.

Come join us and a group of friend for dinner on Tuesday (11/29) at 6pm and you will enjoy a great Indian meal and even get a 20% discount compliments of the "Frugal Freddy" group from the Pattaya City Expat Club.

Elegant setting, good parking right on 3rd road, reasonable prices for excellent Indian food and a 20% discount, hard to beat, see you all on Tuesday.

Driving along there earler today and the Nova Platinum Hotel seems to have changed its name?

And it now advertised an Indian restaurant inside.

I wasn't aware they had changed their name. I named that hotel merely as a landmark. It's hard to deny there is a blossoming of Indian eateries in that part of town.

http://www.oamhotels.com/novaplatinum/

I might have it confused with the new Sun City next door, I was watching traffic while driving by.

Edit: looking forward to dosas and idlies.

Edited by PattayaParent

Wife and I had a great Indian meal at a new (new owner and manager and chief) Indian restaurant next to Cherry's on 3rd road across from the old Xzyte disco.

Come join us and a group of friend for dinner on Tuesday (11/29) at 6pm and you will enjoy a great Indian meal and even get a 20% discount compliments of the "Frugal Freddy" group from the Pattaya City Expat Club.

Elegant setting, good parking right on 3rd road, reasonable prices for excellent Indian food and a 20% discount, hard to beat, see you all on Tuesday.

Bob runs the Frugal Freddy group here in Thailand. If interested, PM him to get on his email list. They get together 1-2 times a week.

Sounds great. I'm pretty sure we will be there!

Craig

How do you order/pay when eating with the Freddy group at a Indian place...I mean, its like Chinese, usually you order a bunch if dishes to share and split the bill.?

In New York City, there is a "curry row"; again a concentration of Indian restaurants not a fight. My relatives there told me its known as a place to take a date on cheap or was it to take a cheap date, I forget.

http://blog.brillian...restaurant-row/

Yes thats up on Lexington avenue around 30 th. My favorite restaurant ( name ) there is : CURRY in a HURRY

Edited by morrobay

Yes thats up on Lexington avenue around 30 th. My favorite restaurant ( name ) there is : CURRY in a HURRY

Hmmm...actually, it's down on 6th in the East Village. Up, down...guess it depends on where you are coming from ! :)

I miss the restaurants in NYC terribly.

Hmmm...actually, it's down on 6th in the East Village. Up, down...guess it depends on where you are coming from ! :)

I miss the restaurants in NYC terribly.

Ok right - I did not even look at that link.

But there is for sure an India district on Lexington av centered around 30 th .

I miss NYC too because im always in a New York state of mind.

Royal Garden Plaza, top floor, Food Wave I think it is called. The Indian Section has a Tandori Oven and make fresh Nans with every order. I have only eaten there at lunch times. I find it very good and fairly priced. Another section sells beers. My wife goes to another section and has Thai or Chinese, just order and it is delivered to your table. It is on our must visit places for lunch when we go to Pattaya!

Bob runs the Frugal Freddy group here in Thailand. If interested, PM him to get on his email list. They get together 1-2 times a week.

Sounds great. I'm pretty sure we will be there!

Craig

Be sure to introduce yourself if you do come. We had 25 people last night at Pattaya Beer Garden so often I don't get to say hello to everyone.

How do you order/pay when eating with the Freddy group at a Indian place...I mean, its like Chinese, usually you order a bunch if dishes to share and split the bill.?

It is Dutch with separate bills but often we share "tastes" of what we have with others at our table. OK to come alone, you will meet and make new friends who like to dine out "frugally".