Tax On Imported Hardware

monkfish

Want to buy a new graphic card but the lowest price I can find for a Quadro 4000 in Thailand is 42,800 baht which equates to $1,363!!

If I buy on Amazon I can get it at $729 not including shipping but don't think that will be much.

Question is how much import Tax will have to pay? is it worth it?

If anyone has any experience or advice importing computer hardware I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

I've purchased and mailed a lot of individual item computer stuff from the U.S. to Thailand... though never individual items quite as expensive as the one you mention.

I'm assuming the graphics card you mention is both relatively small and light in weight...a normal type PCI card.

Basically, anything you send via FedEx, UPS or DHL is almost certain to be dutied and taxed by the Thai govt on arrival,along with various add on fees by those carriers... Likely to add up to 25 to 35% or more of the original item in addition to the actual shipping charge... based on the lesser priced things I've bought. I avidly avoid sending anything through those carriers.

Usually there's less expense involved going thru U.S.PS Global Priority or Express Mail, and especially if you can have the item sent via one of their flat rate boxes or envelopes, which typically allow up to 4 lbs of contents. Still likely to be taxed, but probably not as much as the other carriers above.

The one way I've had where I've never paid any tax has been items mailed from the U.S. by parcel post and then delivered here by the Thailand Post, who also handle the USPS express and global priority packages. The parcel post route isn't insured and isn't trackable. But every time I've sent a package in that manner, it's arrived at my door and never with any taxes assessed.

The only questions would be, do you want to take a chance on a non insured shipment of that expensive of an item. If the answer is no, I'd use USPS global priority, hopefully a flat rate envelope or box, as the fallback choice. That's also not trackable, but it can be insured. And if you go with the non-flat rate sizes for USPS global and express, those are both trackable and insured.

Lastly, refurbished items in my experience tend to get lesser tax than new items.. if your item happened to be refurbished. And make sure to mark the shipment as "gift" to you... if you have any control over that.

Unfortunately, in my experience, it's a bit of a crap shoot... You're never quite sure what's going to result, especially if you haven't sent anything of that same weight, value and shipping method before.

I also use a shipping company in the U.S. that receives items for me and then forwards them onward via parcel post, for a small fee plus the postage. So my orders are always domestic shipments to my forwarding address...and then sent onward by parcel post...usually takes a couple of weeks to arrive. Usually totals to about $25 (about $10 handling fee plus $15 or so postage) for a 2 plus pound box.

Looks like Amazon will ship your item internationally, for a priority shipping rate of $30 flat plus $6 per pound, so add on another $12 or $18. But it's not clear to me from looking what carrier they'd use for that method.

If it's one of the FedEx types, for a $700 plus item, I wouldn't be surprised to see the additional shipping, tax and duty levied here along with the carrier's add ons eat up a lot/most of your savings... But that's just a guess.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

I agree 100% with Tallguy, avoid the courier companies like the plague.

Everything I've had sent by regular mail or EMS (UK Parcelforce International use them) have got through with no duty or tax, FedEx etc = ExTra cost :(

I've purchased and mailed a lot of individual item computer stuff from the U.S. to Thailand... though never individual items quite as expensive as the one you mention.

I'm assuming the graphics card you mention is both relatively small and light in weight...a normal type PCI card.

Basically, anything you send via FedEx, UPS or DHL is almost certain to be dutied and taxed by the Thai govt on arrival,along with various add on fees by those carriers... Likely to add up to 25 to 35% or more of the original item in addition to the actual shipping charge... based on the lesser priced things I've bought. I avidly avoid sending anything through those carriers.

Usually there's less expense involved going thru U.S.PS Global Priority or Express Mail, and especially if you can have the item sent via one of their flat rate boxes or envelopes, which typically allow up to 4 lbs of contents. Still likely to be taxed, but probably not as much as the other carriers above.

The one way I've had where I've never paid any tax has been items mailed from the U.S. by parcel post and then delivered here by the Thailand Post, who also handle the USPS express and global priority packages. The parcel post route isn't insured and isn't trackable. But every time I've sent a package in that manner, it's arrived at my door and never with any taxes assessed.

The only questions would be, do you want to take a chance on a non insured shipment of that expensive of an item. If the answer is no, I'd use USPS global priority, hopefully a flat rate envelope or box, as the fallback choice. That's also not trackable, but it can be insured. And if you go with the non-flat rate sizes for USPS global and express, those are both trackable and insured.

Lastly, refurbished items in my experience tend to get lesser tax than new items.. if your item happened to be refurbished. And make sure to mark the shipment as "gift" to you... if you have any control over that.

Unfortunately, in my experience, it's a bit of a crap shoot... You're never quite sure what's going to result, especially if you haven't sent anything of that same weight, value and shipping method before.

I also use a shipping company in the U.S. that receives items for me and then forwards them onward via parcel post, for a small fee plus the postage. So my orders are always domestic shipments to my forwarding address...and then sent onward by parcel post...usually takes a couple of weeks to arrive. Usually totals to about $25 (about $10 handling fee plus $15 or so postage) for a 2 plus pound box.

Looks like Amazon will ship your item internationally, for a priority shipping rate of $30 flat plus $6 per pound, so add on another $12 or $18. But it's not clear to me from looking what carrier they'd use for that method.

If it's one of the FedEx types, for a $700 plus item, I wouldn't be surprised to see the additional shipping, tax and duty levied here along with the carrier's add ons eat up a lot/most of your savings... But that's just a guess.

Wow thank's for all that useful information!

I suspected about 20-30% duty but over then I'm not sure it's would be worth it!

But even with 30% on top it still only works out at about $943 instead of the quoted $1363 in Thailand.

Yes with a $700 item I will need insurance but wonder if it's possible to send via normal post with insurance?? or is this only possible with Fed ex or DHL and such?

The item is very light and I think less than a 1kg, do you know what additional taxes could be expected by the shipping company?

Surely at Amazon would give a flat rate? But If it's only $10 bucks that's not an issue.

Amazon also have second hand cards up for sale at about $500 so just wondering if that would be worth a bash if I can get the seller to label it as used?

Again thanks for the info's very useful I never imported stuff before but due to the large price difference I am now considering it.

Cheers

I agree 100% with Tallguy, avoid the courier companies like the plague.

Everything I've had sent by regular mail or EMS (UK Parcelforce International use them) have got through with no duty or tax, FedEx etc = ExTra cost :(

Thanks I guess the bottom line means I will pay 30% tax but still means it comes in cheaper than paying in Thailand.

Just wondering if there is an alternative to paying crazy import tax. Geeze 30% sucks

Do IT companies have to pay these taxes because I notice they sell a lot of other items at standard US prices?

But anyway could explain why the price is higher here than other countries.

Sounds like it's time for a Hong Kong run. That's the only way I'd do this... if I'm going to spend $600 for the privilege of something sitting on a plane it's going to be me and I'm going to shop with a vengeance while I'm over there to get the biggest bang for my buck.

256 cores... dayum.

Thinking about a vacation soon anyway and Hong Kong would be on the list! Do you think it would come a lot cheaper?

Actually I would like the Quadro 6000 but wow :rolleyes:

A shipping forward company is your best bet. I highly recommend this one. It's a bit of a hassle to get going, but once your account is established it's a great service. Their "consolidate" feature is great, you shop through Amazon or wherever, 5-6 packages arrive at the forwarder, then they'll remove those items from their boxes and pack them all in one bigger box. With each shipment YOU are required to fill out an online customs/duty form identifying the item and declaring it's value.

I agree, avoid the major carriers. To better serve the carriers and their customers they have a special customs/duty line that expedites. They're also well trained and know if you're sending it Fedex/UPS/DHL.. then it's probably not a cheap item. With the shipping forwarder you can select which carrier you want. Choose USPS International Priority and it will arrive 3-5 days later at your local post office after having went through the 'common' tax/duty lines.

In over 100 shipments I've never once had the customs/value questioned. All of these went through the forwarder, then USPS International Priority. Other singular shipments going through Fedex/DHL/UPS are professionally handled and they know to charge you the full value. Btw.. if you can guess (and if you ship more than a few boxes and pay attention you can learn to guess with great accuracy) when to ship so the box arrives right before a holiday or weekend.. the chances are it will go through with no charge. They just pass it through. 9/10 of mine which have arrived on a Friday or day before a holiday have passed through with no charge. (I'm talking USPS International Priority which gets delivered to your local PO)

Off subject but why a workstation video card? Are you doing CAD/CAM or some high end professional graphics package? This type of card isn't the best choice for any sort of gaming, most image processing, or even video editing.

A shipping forward company is your best bet. I highly recommend this one. It's a bit of a hassle to get going, but once your account is established it's a great service. Their "consolidate" feature is great, you shop through Amazon or wherever, 5-6 packages arrive at the forwarder, then they'll remove those items from their boxes and pack them all in one bigger box. With each shipment YOU are required to fill out an online customs/duty form identifying the item and declaring it's value.

I agree, avoid the major carriers. To better serve the carriers and their customers they have a special customs/duty line that expedites. They're also well trained and know if you're sending it Fedex/UPS/DHL.. then it's probably not a cheap item. With the shipping forwarder you can select which carrier you want. Choose USPS International Priority and it will arrive 3-5 days later at your local post office after having went through the 'common' tax/duty lines.

In over 100 shipments I've never once had the customs/value questioned. All of these went through the forwarder, then USPS International Priority. Other singular shipments going through Fedex/DHL/UPS are professionally handled and they know to charge you the full value. Btw.. if you can guess (and if you ship more than a few boxes and pay attention you can learn to guess with great accuracy) when to ship so the box arrives right before a holiday or weekend.. the chances are it will go through with no charge. They just pass it through. 9/10 of mine which have arrived on a Friday or day before a holiday have passed through with no charge. (I'm talking USPS International Priority which gets delivered to your local PO)

Off subject but why a workstation video card? Are you doing CAD/CAM or some high end professional graphics package? This type of card isn't the best choice for any sort of gaming, most image processing, or even video editing.

Hi Thanks! from what I understand they take over the order from Amazon and send it to Fed Ex or UPS but I don't understand where the advantage is.

Do they devalue the product? so you pay less tax? or do Thai Tax authorities just overlook the shipment cos it's not from Amazon etc.?

To answer your other question Yes I play games but this is for graphics applications in which your basic Quadro 300 will out perform any HD6990 and 590 even in crossfire configuration.

Unfortunately both Ati and nVidia made sure of that after loosing a lots of profit some years ago. Basicly a hi end GC are a waste of money apart from anything else but playing games.

Edited by monkfish

Hi Thanks! from what I understand they take over the order from Amazon and send it to Fed Ex or UPS but I don't understand where the advantage is.

Do they devalue the product? so you pay less tax? or do Thai Tax authorities just overlook the shipment cos it's not from Amazon etc.?

To answer your other question Yes I play games but this is for graphics applications in which your basic Quadro 300 will out perform any HD6990 and 590 even in crossfire configuration.

Unfortunately both Ati and nVidia made sure of that after loosing a lots of profit some years ago. Basicly a hi end GC are a waste of money apart from anything else but playing games.

Not exactly. They receive your box/shipment from Amazon or wherever at a physical address. Once the box is received they notify you to let you know it's in their warehouse. You can then ship that single package, or wait for more boxes to come in and consolidate. There are several advantages:

1. Their shipping fees are hugely cheaper than you'll pay at a fedex store and most retailers. The same fedex service can cost 1/5th of what fedex would charge you when you walk in. Use their calculator and do a few examples to see.

2. YOU fill out the item description/value. The forwarding company will put whatever YOU tell them the value is.. and it will be attached to the outside of the box as a customs label just as any other customs label. Thai authorities will read it just as they would a label from Amazon or anywhere else. The advantage is you fill it out. And no, I'm not recommending anyone misrepresent the value, that would just be wrong. But I am saying you can if you want and the Thai authorities won't question it if sent USPS International Priority and you remain reasonable. A $100 graphics card looks pretty much like a $900 graphics card. So if anything I'm just saying be as good to the Thai customs as they've been to you. I'm sure your tax dollars are going to admirable purposes and not graft or some custom officers new house or benz..

3. They're rebox, double box, consolidate, get rid of or ship invoices/receipts separately, take pictures before shipment, or just about anything you may want. You can even use your address as a mailing address and they'll collect your mail and forward it all together at whatever interval you decide.

About the video card. If your graphics package is listed as supported by a workstation card then it most often uses that card fully. If not, it just uses the card in a generic way and you might end up with a lot of wasted capability. Where Nvidia workstation cards shine is with it's cuda cores and these must be specifically supported. Game cards aren't all bad.. they provide a lot of general power video editors can use. Image editors can benefit from them as well, but with images you don't need much power so there's no benefit after you hit a basic card which supports Open GL and is supported by Adobe. Anyway, I'd make sure your specific software and the version you have, is supported, before ordering the card. Graphic cards are one of the most misunderstood pieces of hardware (expensive hardware) out there, and the manufacturers don't make it easy..

Sounds like it's time for a Hong Kong run. That's the only way I'd do this... if I'm going to spend $600 for the privilege of something sitting on a plane it's going to be me and I'm going to shop with a vengeance while I'm over there to get the biggest bang for my buck.

256 cores... dayum.

Thinking about a vacation soon anyway and Hong Kong would be on the list! Do you think it would come a lot cheaper?

Actually I would like the Quadro 6000 but wow :rolleyes:

Hong Kong doesn't have these kinds of duties. You basically get the item for the price you'd pay in the U.S. At least that's been my experience.

Now, without the HK address, you can't avail yourself of mail order, so you might have to do a bit of running around, minimized considerably if you do your homework in advance.

I have exactly the same demand and the same issues ! while I am still debating if I need a Quadro 600 or a Quadro 2000, I am a consultant / trainer rather then a CAD user, it is just something nice-to-have.

the Thailand piece is double plus than the US price and is controlled in all shops. the only offer is the 3 year warranty. but I seriously doubt the local knowledge and support on such technical piece.

if you aim for the PNY, that is not available in Hong Kong nor Singapore retails. they are selling Quadro by Leadtek. I am considering a mail order to my friend in Hong Kong if they plan any travel to Thailand. alternatively, TallGuyJohninBKK' / BangkokImages' suggestion is also a nice solution.

on the technical side, Quadro's performance is double / triple boosted by specific application drivers. consider the Quadro 2000 or higher only if your core application drivers are certified by nVidia. otherwise, you just get a very good specified graphic card, but not a Quadro.

I have exactly the same demand and the same issues ! while I am still debating if I need a Quadro 600 or a Quadro 2000, I am a consultant / trainer rather then a CAD user, it is just something nice-to-have.

the Thailand piece is double plus than the US price and is controlled in all shops. the only offer is the 3 year warranty. but I seriously doubt the local knowledge and support on such technical piece.

if you aim for the PNY, that is not available in Hong Kong nor Singapore retails. they are selling Quadro by Leadtek. I am considering a mail order to my friend in Hong Kong if they plan any travel to Thailand. alternatively, TallGuyJohninBKK' / BangkokImages' suggestion is also a nice solution.

on the technical side, Quadro's performance is double / triple boosted by specific application drivers. consider the Quadro 2000 or higher only if your core application drivers are certified by nVidia. otherwise, you just get a very good specified graphic card, but not a Quadro.

Guess that rules out the HK visit then as yes I would want an original PNY board.

Amazon looks like the best option at the moment and returning defective goods to them I believe is also fairly easy.

Just means paying 30% or what ever it is.

All the quadro cards are certified by the applications I use so should be no problem.

TallGuy has the formula down.

As for taking the "risk" for an uninsured expensive item, both TallGuy and I have brought in a lot of stuff by uninsured post, and never lost anything. It is the fact that it is insignificant and uninsured that makes it uninteresting to the customs and tax folks -- and the thieves. I am so far ahead of the game using uninsured post for everything that if I lost a $700 item, I am still way ahead! WAY AHEAD! Sure it is a risk, but a tiny risk against large savings. Life has risks. If you can ship the item in a padded mailer, you'll save even more. A tiny box cost $40+ by priority mail, while a padded mailer costs only $13-15. It is best to have a friend or relative reship to you from the US so you can control things like customs delcarations, item valuation, etc. Never make a misreprestation on a customs declaration, but nothing wrong with vagaries. "Video Card" can become "Christmas Gift" or simply, "Card." "Kindle" can become "Book." Etc.

Thank's to all for the advice!

To go slightly off topic I also want to build a new PC but not having much luck finding a good supplier who knows too much about PC's!

can anyone recommend a shop who is able to set up an i7 2600k @ 4.6-5Ghz and won't just try and sell me outdated old gear.

To go slightly off topic I also want to build a new PC but not having much luck finding a good supplier who knows too much about PC's!

can anyone recommend a shop who is able to set up an i7 2600k @ 4.6-5Ghz and won't just try and sell me outdated old gear.

If you want mail order, here:

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/cpus-processors/intel/core%E2%84%A2-i7-2600-sandy-bridge-processor-8m-cache-3-40-ghz-bx80623i72600-p004981/

A couple of comments about all the good feedback above...

1. Since the OP wants to use Amazon, I was looking at their international shipping info. I've never shipped electronics directly from Amazon to Thailand, so I can't speak from personal experience. But their website has rates for international courier service, but I couldn't find which particular one they would use.

In any event, in my experience with past shipments to Thailand from other express vendors, I've paid the vendor direct for their express shipping price.... But then once the item arrives at my door in Thailand, the FedEx or DHL guy has his invoice sheet in hand for all the extras added on in Thailand -- duty, VAT, and usually a bunch of other misc. stuff from that particular carrier. The few times I did it, it was ridiculously expensive.

One time, after they added all that stuff it, it came up to about a 100% price add on for a box of store-bought clothes... Apparently, they don't like you importing clothes to Thailand. In my experience otherwise, electronics typically seem to get dutied and taxed alone at 20 to 25% (without any of the BS courier add-ons) even when you go thru USPS global priority or express mail...

2. Re using USPS (and I don't know if their international global and express services are available through Amazon), there are two situations with insurance. Basically, their lower-priced flat rate envelopes and small boxes typically are not insurable. But their regular Global Priority and Express Mail packages, where you pay by weight, are always trackable and insurable. And for a graphics card, the weight and resulting shipping charge via USPS is going to be relatively low. I think their Global Priority packages to Thailand start at about a minimum of $35 to $40, at least thru my shipper.

3. When I ship anything from Amazon or elsewhere, now, I always go thru my U.S. shipping company, Shipito.com. Free account to set up with them, although you do have to provide some USPS and ID documentation. After that, online control of everything, including seeing for each package all available shipping options and prices, and then choosing the one that best suits your particular box. The charge is just the shipping postage plus typically about a $10 handling fee per box they add on.

Almost all of the things I order, I order in individual boxes, single item orders, to keep the box and weight low/small, and then use parcel post mailing. Thus shipping and handling for say a 2 pound box is in the $20-$25 range with zero Thailand duty/tax at my end. If I start consolidating multiple items, there's usually a fee for that, and then the added size/weight pushes the consolidated box beyond the parcel post limits and into USPS Global Priority range, where the shipping prices start getting higher, and then also incurring duty/tax at the Thailand end (unlike parcel post).

Although, akin to the OP's situation, I ordered a new mobile phone lately from Amazon with a couple hundred dollar value. And I chose not to send that by parcel post, and instead had it sent via my shipping company by Global Priority mail with insurance. It cost me about $20 extra (parcel vs. Global Priority), but in the case of a new phone that I'd just paid a couple hundred for, the peace of mind was worth it.

BTW, as mentioned above, another advantage of using a shipping/forwarding company is that you're the one filling out the customs forms and valuation info... not the vendor... which can provide some flexibility and advantage.

Lastly, if anyone knows this...please do post it here... If you want to use Amazon to direct ship a small eletronics items to Thailand, what shipper/s would they use? And do you have any ability to choose. If it was USPS with Global Priority or Express, I might consider it... But if they were going to use FedEx, DHL etc., I'd absolutely and definitely pass -- especially for anything with a high dollar value, where the customs add-ons are likely to be severe.

http://www.invadeit....i72600-p004981/

Ahh... there's the rub and conundrum for us.... I've never used InvadeIT...but by the accounts I've read and heard, they're a reputable and reliable mail order computer parts firm in Thailand.

But, their pricing for most items I've ever seen with them is typical Thai retail pricing, and markedly higher than what you'd typically pay online via Amazon or other online sources, particularly if you're good about deal-hunting for electronics...

So that's where the issue of shipping/customs costs come in. The questions I'm always asking myself and having to calculate are these:

1. is the item I want even available in Thailand, and if so, from a reputable brand that I can trust. Sometimes the answer is no.

Then 2. Even if it is, how's the almost always higher Thailand retail price going to compare with the usually much lower Amazon or similar U.S. retail price...with shipping and any customs add-on.

That's where minimizing the shipping and customs costs comes in. If you're going the Fed-Ex type route, in my experience, those higher total costs are almost always going to offset and more any savings at the retail end. But if you're going parcel post or a decent priced USPS shipment, you can often come out ahead.

Just to use a specific example with InvadeIT, I had one of my Linksys routers die lately, so I've been looking about a replacement..

One model I was looking at, the E2000, is being offered by InvadeIT for a bit under $100 U.S. Whereas I was finding the same model online in the U.S. lately for $40 and under... Add on shipping, and I'd probably still come out ahead ordering from the U.S.

BTW, plus, I have cash back credit card stuff with Amazon, usually a couple of percent rebate...and wouldn't get the same thing (as much %) buying here.

That's where minimizing the shipping and customs costs comes in. If you're going the Fed-Ex type route, in my experience, those higher total costs are almost always going to offset and more any savings at the retail end. But if you're going parcel post or a decent priced USPS shipment, you can often come out ahead.

Add on shipping, and I'd probably still come out ahead ordering from the U.S.

1. Even a midsize case (assuming someone puts together an entire computer) will put you 'oversize' for USPS forcing you into Fedex.. which through shipito really isn't that bad. The last completed box I sent out was $254 for shipping. This was a 42 pound box, a mid-tower case fully built.

2. It depends, my experience is if you're ordering a higher end system, especially with components recently released, then my clients normally save money at the bottom line over buying in Thailand. I source most of my parts through Newegg as they have 99% of what I want and they're better priced than Amazon on most things.

Anyone doing this on their own can certainly succeed.. but there are a lot of variables so there is much to consider. Take your time, be thorough, and try not to miss anything that can tip the balance one way or the other after the fact..

BTW, let me correct and amend some of my comments above about USPS Global Express and Priority Mail shipping re insurance and tracking:

https://www.usps.com/send/service-chart.htm?

In looking at the USPS website for international shipping, their somewhat more expensive Express Mail envelopes and packages, both flat rate and by weight, are trackable and include $100 of insurance in the price. You can pay extra to obtain a higher insurance limit, but I'm not sure what the maximum allowed for Thailand delivery is.

Re their somewhat lower priced Global Priority mail, it also is trackable and insurable for their weight-based boxes and medium and large flat rate boxes. But they appear to not have insurance or tracking for their flat rate envelopes and small flat rate boxes. Their insurance on this shipping method appears to be weight based in terms of how much they will provide, but you also can pay for extra. Usually, International Express is a bit faster than Priority, and a bit more expensive.

1. Even a midsize case (assuming someone puts together an entire computer) will put you 'oversize' for USPS forcing you into Fedex.. which through shipito really isn't that bad. The last completed box I sent out was $254 for shipping. This was a 42 pound box, a mid-tower case fully built.

BTW, my prior comments about parcel post vs FedEx were in the context of smaller boxes like the OP's desire for a graphics card or my example above of a wifi router.

But, funny you should mention about PCs.. With Black Friday and Cyber Monday and all...I was eyeing some desktop systems that were onsale...and ended up pricing the shipping for them via Shipito over this past weekend.

The systems I was looking were mini-towers (CPU only, no monitor) and at had total shipping weight of 30 or below...and yes, that's well out of parcel post range. The best pricing I could choose... Shipito now has a new shipper called TNT Express that I've never used before, along with the various others -- was maybe $150 for shipping alone, and then a bit extra for their handling...

So with their prices and then figuring duty/tax on arrival here.. I was figuring a total add-on of perhaps $200 beyond what my U.S. online retail purchase price would have been...

I didn't end up buying anything, because I'm not especially in need at present. But given the pricing differences between the U.S. and Thailand for such things, a $200 add-on probably would have been still a better deal. For a heavier/bigger system, though, that begins to evaporate.

Of course, it all depends on the weight and dimensions... Nicely, Shipito has an online shipping calculator that allows you to plug in those values (hopefully if the online retailer lists them) and then know your options and results for their services and pricing...

That calculator is here:

https://www.incconta...php?id_lang=eng

BTW BKKImages, how much was the total FedEx customs/duty/etc add-on at this end on your PC box... apart from the Shipito shipping/handling charge?

BTW BKKImages, how much was the total FedEx customs/duty/etc add-on at this end on your PC box... apart from the Shipito shipping/handling charge?

I really don't know, that's the choice my clients make. Some want to insure at full value and they pay tax/duty on the full value. Others claim a $600 system and pay as little as 1800 baht total.

I would never recommend someone claim a lower value than is true or try to cheat the Thai customs/duty. But I can tell you in 100+ shipments I've made personally, not one was challenged. I would not recommend being ambiguous either with the content description, it's a giant red flag. I do think being 'generic' or 'general' is a good idea though. For instance, "graphics card" is generic and general. "Printed Circuit Card" is ambiguous. Graphics cards run $25-$2500 but who would send a $25 card via Fedex? Maybe a $250 card they would. I would never assume the guys working in customs/duty are stupid or uneducated. They see mostly the same merchandise coming through day after day. They know every trick. Give them due caution and respect and all will be fine.

1800 baht is approx $60 U.S. I don't believe I've ever had a larger type computer thing come thru at 10% duty and tax... heck, the VAT is 7%.

In your example, 1800 baht or $60 U.S. is about 10% of a $600 system... In my experience, the duty and tax on such things usually is closer to 20 to 25%, and that's when going thru USPS... not FedEx or DHL.

1800 baht is approx $60 U.S. I don't believe I've ever had a larger type computer thing come thru at 10% duty and tax... heck, the VAT is 7%.

In your example, 1800 baht or $60 U.S. is about 10% of a $600 system... In my experience, the duty and tax on such things usually is closer to 20 to 25%, and that's when going thru USPS... not FedEx or DHL.

I think this one was also marked "warranty return." And the duty and taxes are set nationally, not by which shipper you choose. There is some leeway with this stuff, if you mark it "gift" then so much of the total could be found exempt(if its an acceptable gift item), warranty returns are often charged just tax but not import duty, and with every package the officer assigning the fees could subtract the allowable before tax/duty amount.. they tend to do this last one more with USPS than the premium shippers.

There are a lot of fairy tales and misinformation out there concerning this topic. All I'm saying is to use a good dose of common sense and don't assume the officers are stupid.. remember, corruption/cheating is a normal part of their everyday lives. There's an "acceptable" amount that won't ruffle their feathers if done properly. Not done properly you insult someone and that's not a good idea..

Yes, what you say is true...

I've never done a U.S. to Thailand "warranty return," but I've heard and I can imagine those might be handled differently...

But my general point is the same, the typical duty and tax to expect on electronics items shipped from the U.S. via USPS global or express to Thailand for a regular "gift" package, in my experience, is in the 20 to 25% range -- unless it's a parcel post shipment that typically will avoid all duty and tax.

I can't speak to the Fed-Ex or DHL approach. The duty and tax alone may be similar...but those services always seem to have a bunch of other added charges they tack on, which brings the overall percentage surcharge even higher.

Yes, what you say is true...

I've never done a U.S. to Thailand "warranty return," but I've heard and I can imagine those might be handled differently...

But my general point is the same, the typical duty and tax to expect on electronics items shipped from the U.S. via USPS global or express to Thailand for a regular "gift" package, in my experience, is in the 20 to 25% range -- unless it's a parcel post shipment that typically will avoid all duty and tax.

I can't speak to the Fed-Ex or DHL approach. The duty and tax alone may be similar...but those services always seem to have a bunch of other added charges they tack on, which brings the overall percentage surcharge even higher.

I've never had a package in the 20-25% range. The taxes and duty rates are available on the customs website though I think they defined the term "ambiguous." This Asean siteis more easy to understand and you can see how the customs officer can classify items differently depending on classification. I've not noticed any extra charges from premium shippers either. Computer part shipments I've shipped to myself via shipito average 10-15% total, but a Racechip for my Vigo was charged 30% once. This is what I mean not being ambiguous and rubbing someone the wrong way, they can use their discretion to choose if there is any exception for a gift, what category an item falls under, if "warranty return" gets passed through without the necessary paperwork, if excise tax is added, and probably a lot more.

I have experienced the weekend/holiday free pass you'll often get with any shipment going through the Thai post office, typically any USPS shipment.. these shipments are subject to the exact same rates as any other means of shipment.. but it appears if the package arrives on the cusp of a weekend or holiday, the package might be pushed through with no charges. My guess is the workers just want to get home and enjoy their time off but there might be more to it than this.

Thank's for the infos and based on a PM I got a quote from a company in Thailand below.

All in all the prices seem on par with International and US prices except for the Graphic card which would probably be the only component I will order from Amazon.

quote1.jpg

The only issues I have with the quote is the main-board, cooling and may be the case they recommend.

1.The main board at 11k seems a bit expensive and even costs more than the CPU

and after previously owning 2 hi end Asus boards I am not an Asus fan at all.

2. As for the cooling I asked for a "ZALMAN CNPS 10X Extreme" for 2100bt but they quote me a "Corsair H-80" for 3550bt and I believe the ZALMAN is actually better?

3. For the case the Thermal take does not have any good reviews http://www.tomshardw...k-i,2992-6.html and quite expensive!

the case I asked for was a Rosewill Thor V2 http://www.tomshardw...bws,3072-4.html and you have to admit it looks good too.

Please note I will be running this at 4.6-5Ghz so good quality and cooling is important.

What I do notice is the 7% VAT is not included in the quote! or is it? mmm that would also change the price by 7k

Edited by monkfish

http://www.invadeit....i72600-p004981/

Thanks will check out the prices but at first glance they don't seem much cheaper

Thank's for the infos and based on a PM I got a quote from a company in Thailand below.

All in all the prices seem on par with International and US prices except for the Graphic card which would probably be the only component I will order from Amazon.

Go to www.newegg.com and do the math.. $30 more on the CPU, $60 more on the MB, $45 more on the RAM.. by the time you get done it adds up. On a complete system often $500+, but with yours there is a big difference on the graphics card.

I chose Newegg because I've dealt with them a lot and always had my returns and the such handled well and their prices while not rock bottom, are still very good.