Crazy Ficking Pick-up Drivers

Neeranam

I wasn't trying to make the safety point with that observation, rather that expensive, so called "quality" vehicles also have their weak points.

The BMW is a car which looks like an offroader ( likewise the Volvo XC90) but in reality does not have the strength or capabilities of the pure off road machines, and is more of a status symbol, and then of course there is the crazy end of the market - the Porsche Cayenne!!!!

No matter though, I still can't see the point in paying 8x as much for a fashion statement!!!

On the motorbike issue - well enough said - they are mad. Saw one a few weeks back, motorcycle taxi, with passenger, squeeze through an ever decreasing gap between a soft drinks delivery lorry and a wall on Suk Soi13 as the lorry was trying to negotiate a 90 deg bend. Its bad enough that they ride like loonies when they are alone on the bike, but with passengers too??? :o

Okay, in that case we are in total agreement. I am not a fan of SUVs anyway, and see no point to those like the BMW, Honda CRV etc. The ones that are about as much use off road as a Ford 7610 (Tractor) is on the road. Prosche Cayenne, is an excellent example of this. And actually I can't see the point in spending any extra money on a SUV of any kind, unless you need it because you are a park ranger or something... and then you're going to be getting a real off-roader like a Toyota Land Cruiser or something.

I have witnessed 4 serious motorbike accidents in my life, all in Thailand. Considering that I've only lived in Thailand for 1/8th of my life, that's telling. I've also witnessed the aftermath of many more, three of which involved large pools of blood, and presumably loss of life.

The least serious, and therefore funniest was when a guy stepped off a bus I was on and landed on top of a motorbike. The rider though that it was a good idea to pass out a bus on the inside while it was parked at a bus stop!!

Just last week I was driving in the rain and the roads were clear ahead of me. A motorbike was approaching me on the other side of the road and as we got close enough for me to be able to see his smiling face he decided to turn right across the road and down a soi to my left. But he turned too suddenly and lost control of the bike which tried to throw him into the air and then came to a complete stop in my lane. I was forced to emergency break to avoid killing him. Luckily the road was clear behind me too, which makes me wonder why he couldn't have waited for 4 seconds until my car went by!

Actually the more I think about this the more I am reminded of numerous similar instances of stupidity. But then I still live in Bangkok and drive on Bangkok roads, so I can't claim to be super smart either.

A Thai driver or motor cyclist waiting 4 seconds? That's a lifetime to them.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Monday afteernoon, my wife and I were informed that our Sportrider had been involved in an accident at Kantaralak, 20 km's from Khoa Pra Vi Harn. An American couple had borrowed the car, had crashed it and were in hospital. When we got there we were informed that the occupants of the other car had been killed, and were shown to where they had towed the cars. Our Sportrider had the wheels knocked off, the engine pushed right into the car with nothing left off the front near side. The Toyota Tiger that hit it, started at the front windscreen, the rest was gone,wiped away. Our people were virtually unhurt,the Sportrider's interior keeping it's shape in the impact, although it rippled the roof right to the back. Both cars were total right-offs. What had happened was as in Neerams case a car had overtaken without looking, right by a junction where maybe 6 or 7 people were waiting to cross over, some on motor cycles some on foot. Instead of ploughing into the innocent people, my driver tried to make it between the two cars. He nearly made it. He cliped the first car and trhe other two impacted nearside to nearside. The Police praised him for taking such action, but the inevitable court case must follow. Yesterday my wife and the driver returned to Kantaralak to attend the funeral of the deceased,and clear a few things up with the Police( wonderful help we got from them,although I personally have found that to be the case wherever I have been in Thailand) While my wife was in the Police station, the investigating officer received a call from a local MP asking him if the story could be changed to incriminate the American. The officer called the big boss in, told him the story while the MP was still on the phone (with my wife there) then turned to her and told her they wanted to change the story. My wife said, the Police told the guy 'We don't care who you are, the story stays'. A later revelation, also indicated that the driver of the pick-up had been drinking, was not taxed, insured and had only bought the car last week, so probably did not have a licence. We have lost our beloved Sportrider, and a little boy has lost both his beloved parents. Another thing happened to the American while at the funeral; They wanted to give him the little boy to take back to America and bring up, and when he told the villagers he was single, half the girls in the village wanted to marry him. Funny old World.

Another thing that annoys the he11 out of me as well (and getting back on-topic) is the way pick-up and SUV manufacturers consistently fail to provide indicators on their cars sold in Thailand..........

If you looks closely you'll see that they actually do have indicators.. in fact the bulbs are even in there.... I think they have simply neglected to wire them up in an attempt to reduce costs.

A Thai friend told me never to indicate because then the other drivers would know what I intended to do and would try and block me! And he was deadly serious. He doesn't drive a pick-up either, so this might be drifting off-topic again.

A Thai friend told me never to indicate because then the other drivers would know what I intended to do and would try and block me!

This is true, as far as Bangkok is concerned. So I normally don't turn the indicator on until imemdiately before I change the lane. Many would just squeeze themselves in to any open spot to block you from changing the lane if they see your indicator is flashing. Last week one such a pickup almost collided with my car and honked at me. He wasn't anywhere close nor speeding when I turned the wheel. Indicator doesn't serve its purpose in Thailand.

But which make/model pickup is it that comes without indicators??? :o

In traffic schools in the States they teach you the "two second following distance" rule when driving. Perhaps now they've increased it to three seconds. The trouble is in Bangkok if you leave a safe following distance, another driver will cut in front of you. This used to drive me crazy when I first started driving here because it forced me to drive bumper to bumper like them. I still try to keep a safe following distance but it's nearly impossible to keep as safe a distance as it is in the States.

What had happened was as in Neerams case a car had overtaken without looking, right by a junction where maybe 6 or 7 people were waiting to cross over, some on motor cycles some on foot. Instead of ploughing into the innocent people, my driver tried to make it between the two cars.
Sorry to hear about your car, lampard.

What is it with these <deleted>, overtaking without looking and expecting everyone else to get out the way?

If the driver had lived, he should have been sent away for a long time.

The guy that crashed into me should have been given a HUGE fine, jail time for wreckless driving. If these maniacs aren't punished they will carry on doing it!

While my wife was in the Police station, the investigating officer received a call from a local MP asking him if the story could be changed to incriminate the American.

Lucky for you that the policeman was not in the the MP's pocket, it happens so often.

Another thing happened to the American while at the funeral; They wanted to give him the little boy to take back to America and bring up, and when he told the villagers he was single, half the girls in the village wanted to marry him. Funny old World.

Sure is a funny old world. What did your friends say to the little boy?

You know the guy that crashed into me never once said "sorry".

Admitting fault is not a Thai strength.

He did say a few times, "why didn't you go off the road"(so as your car would have been smashed and I wouldn't have had to stop!)

He did say a few times, "why didn't you go off the road"(so as your car would have been smashed and I wouldn't have had to stop!)

But a nerve to say that, huh. :D:D:o

Un-<deleted>-believable.

My girfriend didn't realise a language could contain so many profanities before I started driving here :D

"What is a crunsts?"

hey mate you are lucky to be alive, pickup versus car - car and driver usually don't suvive.

As for pickup truck drivers, they are mental and seem to have something to prove to all other road users including me and my bike (Honda CBR 1100xx Blackbird) they pull in front of me - race up behind me, close gaps so I can't get past, etc etc

3.0ltr pickup thinks it's the fastest thing on the road and wants to prove it to everyone, the odd occasion I find a nice clear piece of road during these encounters, pull up along side look over then drop a few coggs and nail it at about 100kph, front wheel in the air 3 secs later pickup a dot in my mirror, I then slow down and they just pull over and don't even try to overtake.......must feel very small. he he

hey mate you are lucky to be alive, pickup versus car - car and driver usually don't suvive.

As for pickup truck drivers, they are mental and seem to have something to prove to all other road users including me and my bike (Honda CBR 1100xx Blackbird) they pull in front of me - race up behind me, close gaps so I can't get past, etc etc

3.0ltr pickup thinks it's the fastest thing on the road and wants to prove it to everyone, the odd occasion I find a nice clear piece of road during these encounters, pull up along side look over then drop a few coggs and nail it at about 100kph, front wheel in the air 3 secs later pickup a dot in my mirror, I then slow down and they just pull over and don't even try to overtake.......must feel very small. he he

I used to have a 900cc Honda, I loved pulling up beside the boy racers with their go faster stripes, staying beside them for a little while when the lights turned green, then give them a wave and a smile and disappear into the blue yonder. :o

QUOTE(gharknes @ 2005-11-25 18:40:28)

I used to have a 900cc Honda, I loved pulling up beside the boy racers with their go faster stripes, staying beside them for a little while when the lights turned green, then give them a wave and a smile and disappear into the blue yonder. biggrin.gif

I used to do that with my sporty mazda. :o

I hope the insurance actually gives the car back looking as good as it did.

They should pay compensation for any weakness due to the crash, but won't.

[ the lights turned green, then give them a wave and a smile and disappear into the blue yonder.  :o

Come off it mate; the way Thais accelerate away at traffic lights, you could disappear into the wild blue yonder on a push bike. It's like the Thai, when asked if he liked his new BMW, he replied ' Fantastic. 0-60 in 28 minutes 13 seconds' :D

These ficking pick-up driver really get to me, but my question in this thread is what would you do if there was a pick-up truck running straight for you?
These ficking pick-up driver really get to me, but my question in this thread is what would you do if there was a pick-up truck running straight for you?

Would you swerve off the road if you had time to think and do it, possibly causing more damage?

Also my sporty mazda was well crumpled and the pick-up was not damaged too badly. I thing that my crumple zone saved myself and the ###### in the other vehicle from serious injury. I was thinking what would happen to two pick-ups had a similar crash? Anyone any experiece or thoughts? Are pick-ups actually safer or not. Is it a case of I'm bigger than the others so I will be ok, fick them? :o

Sorry to hear about the prang...and especially the apparent conniving twixt driver and police.

All accidents are different, but one thing is demonstrably sure and that is you are more likely to sustain and cause injury in a pick-up. Don't be lulled into a false sense of security in Fortunas, G-Wagons and the like, they are all still pickups with a different body. Your crumple zone probably saved you from a lot more harm, all be it at a cost to the car, but that's the point, if there is no give in the vehicle it happens to the occupant or the "victim".

Edited by wilko

I was with my wife, mother-in-law and brother-in-law heading down Ramintra Rd. when we saw a guy driving an 18 wheeler Lotus truck. He swerved that thing in and out of traffic is if it were a Mini Cooper. Unbelievable! I also love how some idiots pass on the shoulder at night on the highway just hoping there isn't a parked car with no lights on. I wonder how much they paid for their driving licenses.

Pickups often rate poorly in crash tests. For example, the Ford F-150 (due to be introduced here in Thailand soon) rates rather poorly while the full sized van from the same manufacturer rates well.

Do you know anything more about the F150 being sold here, or have a link to any website ?

Interesting :o

INTJ.

Do you know anything more about the F150 being sold here, or have a link to any website ?

Interesting

The Ford F-150 is supposed to be introduced into Thailand within the next three years from what I've heard. The price will be WAY out of proportion to what you would pay in the States; it should be over 1 million baht for sure. You could do a google search and find the Ford Motor Co. website for Thailand but I'm not sure if you'll find much English info.

Interesting

The Ford F-150 is supposed to be introduced into Thailand within the next three years from what I've heard. The price will be WAY out of proportion to what you would pay in the States; it should be over 1 million baht for sure. You could do a google search and find the Ford Motor Co. website for Thailand but I'm not sure if you'll find much English info.

Thanks. I remember a couple of years ago looking at a "mini motor show" at some shopping center, when the Chevrolet Colorado was first introduced in Thailand. The sales girl gave me a brochure, and while flicking through I noticed the spec for a V8 model. I asked the girl if this was available in Thailand, and after a few phone calls I was told it was, the price 1.7 million baht. Also the Ford Explorer 4.0 V8 is sold here at around 4.6 mil ! I would imagine the F150 will be an import and subject to all duties (not locally produced which might have made it a tempting option.)

Regards,

INTJ.

Ford is introdusing a new pickup next year, and I don't think it's 150, just the local equivalent of Triton or Vigo.

I'm a bit tired of this "pickups rate poorly in crash tests" - there's nothing to back this claim up - there are no statistics for locally made trucks vs. locally assembled cars sold at comparable prices.

People's personal experience tells differently - pickup suffers a lot less damage in crashes with cars. I once posted it somewhere here - I saw a totally smashed Fortuner with half the engine compartment totally gone, yet there was no damage inside whatsoever, no protruding pedals, nothing. Whatever that Fortuner hit, I know which car I'd prefer to be in in that crash, and it's not some City or Vios for sure.

The poor rating for the Ford F-150 comes from the US government's crash tests on different vehicles. There are PLENTY of stats to back that up over there. Being that locally made pickups are not as well built in most cases as the ones made in the West one can only conclude how well they'd hold up. Don't forget that cars here are often not built well either and the only reason pickups may hold up better is because they're heavier. Against a heavy, well-built car it may not hold up like you would wish it would.

The poor rating for the Ford F-150 comes from the US government's crash tests on different vehicles. There are PLENTY of stats to back that up over there. Being that locally made pickups are not as well built in most cases as the ones made in the West one can only conclude how well they'd hold up. Don't forget that cars here are often not built well either and the only reason pickups may hold up better is because they're heavier. Against a heavy, well-built car it may not hold up like you would wish it would.

Thailand exports a lot of cars and pick ups, surely the manufacturers wouldn't risk exporting dodgy vehicles? Other countries no doubt have far higher safety standards than thailand, so would they risk it to save a few quid?

Thailand exports a lot of cars and pick ups, surely the manufacturers wouldn't risk exporting dodgy vehicles? Other countries no doubt have far higher safety standards than thailand, so would they risk it to save a few quid?

You have a point there. I'm not sure which countries these vehicles are exported to but these countries are probably not as strict with safety standards as where we come from.

One of the reasons pickups and SUV have statistically poor accident safety records in the US is that, because of their high CG and the likelihood they are in the hands of drivers who have little to no experience driving large trucks, they tend to be involved in rollover accidents. The main problem in a rollover is that these vehicles were not built with sturdy enough roof pillars to hold up under the weight of the upside-down truck, therefore the drivers were subject to traumatic head injuries.

I've got no doubt that in a head-on collision between a 4-door diesel pickup (built in Thailand or wherever) and an average size passenger car - barring a rollover - the pickup truck is where I'd rather be.

Good point...in the hands of crazy drivers, it doesn't really matter what vehicle you're talking about. SUV's and pickups have a greater chance of rolling over in an accident than most cars, but if they're driven safely (on the road that is) the chances for a rollover are pretty minimal. I know people who have driven SUV's and pickups for years and never had a problem. The main complaints are about fuel economy...the SUV's can be real gas guzzlers.

One of the reasons pickups and SUV have statistically poor accident safety records in the US is that, because of their high CG and the likelihood they are in the hands of drivers who have little to no experience driving large trucks, they tend to be involved in rollover accidents.  The main problem in a rollover is that these vehicles were not built with sturdy enough roof pillars to hold up under the weight of the upside-down truck, therefore the drivers were subject to traumatic head injuries.

I've got no doubt that in a head-on collision between a 4-door diesel pickup (built in Thailand or wherever) and an average size passenger car - barring a rollover - the pickup truck is where I'd rather be.

Another reason that SUVs and pickups get into so many accidents is also a feature of their high center of gravity. They take longer to stop! For some reason people feel safer in a pickup, perhaps because they think it's stronger, and then there is the fact that they have big powerful 2.5 and 3 liter engines. It's all very well until something happens in front of you and you need to react. Driving a pickup is like driving a car that is drunk. It's reactions are slower, and it doesn't have the dynamics of a passenger car when you try to avoid an accident.

If you need a pickup to carry stuff around in the back of then it makes sense. Otherwise, it's just a big cheap, but not safe vehicle. Safety is not only about YOU being able to walk away from a smash up. Having a car capable of avoiding the accidents altogether is better.

Back home I did a driving course in accident avoidance. Was taught how to be alert to possible dangers up ahead and plan my driving so that I don't get into trouble. I appreciate that Thailand's roads will provide dangers that it's simply not possible to avoid, but most accidents are still in our control to avoid if we drive sensibly.