O God No.. Chiang Mai Ranked As Top Place To Retire

WinnieTheKhwai

So anyway, what is the income requirement for a non-imm o based on retirement?

If qualifying solely on income, it is 65K baht per month.

But all of that does NOT need to be transferred into or spent in Thailand annually. How much you spend is your choice/need.

If qualifying based solely on bank account, the income requirement is ZERO baht.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm surprised so many people think this is not doable. The keys would be cheap housing (or own a place) plus no major health problems, no sex worker addiction, not supporting a family, no need to eat frequently at western restaurants, and cheap transport. Doable.

This alone must wipe over 90% out.

Before this was edited, the lines 'no sex worker addiction, not supporting a family' were highlighted.

Unfortunately the post doesn't make the intended sense after it was edited.

Edited by hehehoho

I'm surprised so many people think this is not doable. The keys would be cheap housing (or own a place) plus no major health problems, no sex worker addiction, not supporting a family, no need to eat frequently at western restaurants, and cheap transport. Doable.

This alone must wipe over 90% out.

Before this was edited, the lines 'no sex worker addiction, not supporting a family' were highlighted.

Unfortunately the post doesn't make the intended sense after it was edited.

I was able to figure it out even without the explanation. Maybe I'm psychic. ;) Strange by the way that you can't add emphasis to show what you're responding to, but you CAN strip out all the other context. One of those things. :rolleyes:

One can definately live on little money here in chiang mai. I think there is somekind of beauty in living a simple life, but on another hand, stingy people who always count their pennies can be anoying. People who 'make a sport' out of living cheaply are probably more obsessed with money than some richer folks who just spend and live for today. Of course, some people are really on a super tight budget and have no other choice. The advice that i like to give to 'stingy' backpackers (been there, done that) would be something like 'shorten your trip a little and stop always counting your pennies'..but im going off topic here.

Of course it's easily doable. Just look at the type of rented accommodation you'd get in UK for 100 pounds a month (4,800 Baht) compared to here. Here at least you'd get a fair room, toilet & shower and some amenities. In the UK you'd get a cardboard box on the street......if you were lucky!! Add to that all high other costs and its easy to see how its doable here, without too much hardship. Of course the visa and medical thing would take some expense.

This guy really does his research and provides accurate information on CM living costs.

http://www.youtube.c...r/retirecheapjc

Yes, indeed, the guy in this video is pretty much on the mark. Why do you think there are so many American retirees in their 50s and early 60s here? Hubby and I were paying around $17,000 per year for our health insurance, a group plan bought thru our trade association (we owned a small business). Over here we have health insurance for about 20% of that amount.

Yes, someone can live here fairly comfortably on an average monthly budget of $1100 per month, provided they have extra funds for health insurance and the bank account needed to support the retirement visa. But, the article implies that if someone's only source of income is $1100/month SSA and they don't have any assets that somehow CM will be paradise if they can only scrape up enough funds to get over here. That is so wrong!

Edited by NancyL

But, the article implies that if someone's only source of income is $1100/month SSA and they don't have any assets that somehow CM will be paradise if they can only scrape up enough funds to get over here. That is so wrong!

Not paradise, but how does it compare to living in the US or UK on $1100/month? Not a rhetorical question - I don't really know.

But I think medigap costs as much as a good health policy here. For those not on medicare, as you said the costs are ridiculous.

And besides the economics, it's just more fun here.