Thailand Ranks 80th In 2011 Corruption Perception Index

webfact

Thailand ranks 80th in 2011 Corruption Perception Index

image_20111201102827F7AA8558-D92A-0082-61C46F601A2FE5A4.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 1 -- Thailand ranks 80th among 183 countries worldwide listed in the 2011 Corruption Perception Index (CPI) released today by Transparency International, two steps lower from last year’s ranking, according to Transparency Thailand Secretary-General Juree Vichit-Vadakan.

Thailand placed 78th among 178 countries last year.

According to the latest Transparency International Corruption Perception Index (CPI) released on Thursday, Thailand received 3.4 points on a scale of 0-10, and ranked 80th among 183 countries on the list. Ten points means a country has a low corruption level, while zero equates to a high level of corruption.

Apart from its global position, Thailand was ranked 10th among 26 Asian countries, with Singapore getting the highest transparency score at 9.2 out of a possible 10.

Dr Juree said that this year Thailand shared the same rank as Columbia, El Salvador, Greece, Morocco and Peru.

Most countries on the list scored less than 50 per cent, Dr Juree said, noting that only 49 countries received more than 5 points.

New Zealand achieved 9.5 points and ranked first as the least corrupt globally, followed by Denmark and Finland at 9.4 points, while Somalia and North Korea jointly rated the most corrupt in the world with a 1.0 point score.

CPI is a composite index, a combination of polls, drawing on corruption-related data from experts and business surveys carried out by a variety of reputable independent institutions.

Dr Juree said that the CPI index as a tool encourages governments and the public worldwide to realise the severe impact of corruption, both domestic and international, in order to jointly tackle the problem.

She said the awareness of corruption in Thailand is growing, and that many sectors have taken part in battling the problem.

She also praised Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) for launching its “Growing Good” programme. This initiative aims to empower Thai youths in kindergarten to grade three by teaching them social values and ethics to fight corruption more lastingly over the longer term. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-12-01

Every comment above receives :clap2: today. Entrusting teachers that slack off in the classroom all day in order to extort baht from parents to teach students after school is the old fox guarding the hen house adage all over again.

Edited by unanimosity

I have always wondered why everyone thinks Thailand is so corrupt.

Now I now why. I work in Papua New Guinea who ranked 154, with Zimbabwe, and Laos. Thais are a law abiding lot by comparison.

Good to hear from some one who is capable of thinking.

Most of the expats that respond in the negative are short on that commodity. They can not imagine Thailand having any thing good .

Thailand has come up a little ways on the list but I do not believe that the problem has lessened just that some other countries have improved in their fight against corruption.:jap:

Inching their way, gained 2 more points this year.

By mathematics Thailand will be the most corrupt circus on July 1st, 2063 - well, by then I will no longer be around hence I just carry on greasing the palms of the sons and daughters of Siam then .......

What was the price for staying below 100? :rolleyes:

A lot less than if you want to be in the top 10........:blink:

If any one had asked me which South American country was the most corrupt I might have said Columbia but to find out that Thailand has the same score is disturbing.

Edited by lonewolf99

CPI

Thailand's ranking shows decrease in corruption levels

Corruption in Thailand appears to have decreased a little this year, with the nation ranking 80th among 183 countries on the 2011 Corruption Perception Index (CPI). Last year, Thailand was placed the 78th among 178 countries.

The ranking was released on Thursday by Transparency International, said Transparency Thailand Secretary General Juree Vichit-Vadakan.

The country received 3.4 points on a scale of 0-10, and ranked 80th among 183 countries on the list. Ten points means a country has a low corruption level, while zero equates to a high level of corruption.

Apart from its global position, Thailand was ranked 10th among 26 Asian countries, with Singapore getting the highest transparency score at 9.2 out of a possible 10.

Juree said that this year Thailand shared the same rank as Columbia, El Salvador, Greece, Morocco and Peru.

Most countries on the list scored less than 50 per cent, Juree said. Only 49 countries received more than five points.

New Zealand achieved 9.5 points and ranked first as the least corrupt globally, followed by Denmark and Finland at 9.4 points, while Somalia and North Korea jointly rated the most corrupt in the world with a 1.0 point score.

CPI is a composite index, a combination of polls, drawing on corruption-related data from experts and business surveys carried out by a variety of reputable independent institutions.

Juree said that the CPI index as a tool encourages governments and the public worldwide to realise the severe impact of corruption, both domestic and international, in order to jointly tackle the problem.

She said that awareness of corruption in Thailand is growing, and that many sectors have taken part in battling the problem.

She also praised Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) for launching its "Growing Good" programme. This initiative aims to empower Thai youths in kindergarten to grade three by teaching them social values and ethics to fight corruption over the longer term.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-01

CPI

Corruption in Thailand appears to have decreased a little this year, with the nation ranking 80th among 183 countries on the 2011 Corruption Perception Index (CPI). Last year, Thailand was placed the 78th among 178 countries.

The ranking was released on Thursday by Transparency International, said Transparency Thailand Secretary General Juree Vichit-Vadakan.

The country received 3.4 points on a scale of 0-10, and ranked 80th among 183 countries on the list. Ten points means a country has a low corruption level, while zero equates to a high level of corruption.

Juree said that this year Thailand shared the same rank as Columbia, El Salvador, Greece, Morocco and Peru.

Most countries on the list scored less than 50 per cent, Juree said. Only 49 countries received more than five points.

Juree said that the CPI index as a tool encourages governments and the public worldwide to realise the severe impact of corruption, both domestic and international, in order to jointly tackle the problem.

She said that awareness of corruption in Thailand is growing, and that many sectors have taken part in battling the problem.

She also praised Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) for launching its "Growing Good" programme. This initiative aims to empower Thai youths in kindergarten to grade three by teaching them social values and ethics to fight corruption over the longer term.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-01

Another brilliant analysis by The Nation. Thailand this year ranked 80th and scored 3.4 on a scale of 0-10 with 10 being best. Last year it ranked 78th and scored 3.5. I'll admit that the change is probably not statistically significant, but if anything Thai corruption has increased, not decreased.

On the other hand, that analysis demands an understanding of decimals, which is probably to much to ask :unsure:

/ Priceless

Doesn't mean squat...its only perception not reality. Whether or not Thailand is really becoming less corrupt would depend on a lot of factors that no one will want to talk about...

The global graphic you can see at http://cpi.transparency.org/cpi2011/results/ gives an interesting perspective on how these numbers stack up in developing vs developed countries.

From the Transparency website: " Perceptions are used because corruption is to a great extent a hidden activity that is difficult to measure. Over time, perceptions have proved to be a reliable estimate of corruption."

You Have it all ahead of you Thailand , see if you can get to 9 out of 10 . NZ only has that high score , co's as we all know bro, they are all in Aussie land.:lol:

Actually, they send all the corrupt criminals to Australia, thus increasing the average score of both countries.

on this page

http://blog.transparency.org/2010/10/26/cpi2010_temperatures_up/

"Nagaraju" interestingly talk about Switzerland

Hi, I am from India. TI president Hugutte said in a statement “There should be no where to hide for the corrupt or their money”. Keeping this as base I request TI to put some nations like Switzerland, who are helping the corrupt to save their corrupt money, at the bottom of the these rankings. These nations helping directly, I don’t want to use the word “indirectly”. The banks from these nations, make very strange rules they will not ask for the sources of money, and not reveal the corrupt.

You Have it all ahead of you Thailand , see if you can get to 9 out of 10 . NZ only has that high score , co's as we all know bro, they are all in Aussie land.:lol:

Actually, they send all the corrupt criminals to Australia, thus increasing the average score of both countries.

Very strict entry rules No Record NO ENTRY no mucking about Unlike Thailand where it seems if you have a record in the making they want you to come home for the wedding,.

Sorry I finished to early you don't have to be a corrupt criminal to enter Australia we take all types did not want Australia to be branded as discriminating.

Edited by mijan24

What was the price for staying below 100? :rolleyes:

No too many years ago when the list held 80 countries Thailand was near the bottom.

Add more banana Republics like Papua New Guinea, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Laos and Thailand lands up in the middle of the row.

Who paid for this? Good question. Who pays for maintaining Transparency International (TI) - and for that matter its sister Honesty International (HI) - with offices around the world, “leaders” driving MB cars, smoking Havanas? When you realistically analyze this you come to the conclusion it is political type claptrap.

Please name one thing that this TI analyzes or HI analyzes does that makes the slightest improvement in the lives of the people around the world.

Be realistic, what goes on in Thailand also goes on in other countries around the world, some more, some less, but none is squeaky clean anymore because that has gone by the wayside at the conclusion of WW I when the slide down became apparent and now a hundred years later it is thundering down the slope with no slowing it down, let alone stop it.

Very strict entry rules No Record NO ENTRY no mucking about Unlike Thailand where it seems if you have a record in the making they want you to come home for the wedding,.

Sorry I finished to early you don't have to be a corrupt criminal to enter Australia we take all types did not want Australia to be branded as discriminating.

Can't miss the opportunity to drag out one of the old ones;

Australian Airport Immigration Officer to British Tourist - "Do you have any criminal convictions?"

British Tourist - "Why, Is it still a requirement?"

Now I now why. I work in Papua New Guinea who ranked 154, with Zimbabwe, and Laos. Thais are a law abiding lot by comparison.

Let me give few examples;

1. The police is always there to extort money fromthe drivers but never there to enforce traffic laws

2. Officials always lie to make the point and alwaystell the story in a very positive ways.

3. All projects are substandard and only disinters likeflood make it obvious, and even then no one is responsible for the failures

4. You can pay money so the law enforcement peopleto look away and not enforce the low

5. Politicians have the inside for projects andthey always use the information for close friends and family to get rich

Etc. etc.

Let me give few examples;

1. The police is always there to extort money fromthe drivers but never there to enforce traffic laws

2. Officials always lie to make the point and alwaystell the story in a very positive ways.

3. All projects are substandard and only disinters likeflood make it obvious, and even then no one is responsible for the failures

4. You can pay money so the law enforcement peopleto look away and not enforce the low

5. Politicians have the inside for projects andthey always use the information for close friends and family to get rich

Etc. etc.

I'm not sure how much experience you've had with "developing" or "third world" countries. Apparently Thailand is now technically described as "newly industrialised".

Comparisons are odious as they say. What I'm saying is that versus its contemporaries Thailand isn't doing too badly.

I've always been a "glass half full" kind of guy though.

I know it isn't all that fashionable here on TV, but I like Thailand.

CPI

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-12-01

Another brilliant analysis by The Nation. Thailand this year ranked 80th and scored 3.4 on a scale of 0-10 with 10 being best. Last year it ranked 78th and scored 3.5. I'll admit that the change is probably not statistically significant, but if anything Thai corruption has increased, not decreased.

On the other hand, that analysis demands an understanding of decimals, which is probably to much to ask :unsure:

/ Priceless

Couldn't agree more, on first glance we've slipped from 78 to 80, but that's because another 5 countries were added to the list but I'm guessing they were 'off the radar' ones all of whom entered the list in the bottom third, it doesn't hide the fact that Thailand is well into the bottom half despite have the 25th largest economy in the world and being one of the developing world's more successful countries. Nowhere in this article does it indicate that the corruption index itself has improved.

Doesn't mean squat...its only perception not reality. Whether or not Thailand is really becoming less corrupt would depend on a lot of factors that no one will want to talk about...

I think you will find the exact opposite. These surveys are done using strict criteria and are about fact not perception. How many of the sideline commentators here are using anything other than anecdotal evidence, personal experience and the 'circle jerk' phenomena that ipasses for informed debate. Sure there is corruption here, no doubt about it but probably not as endemic as many believe.