Thailand To Issue Passport For Ex-PM Thaksin Soon: FM

webfact

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They should have done this long ago, no country should deprive their citizens from their nationality , ID or passport cuz governments easily could use this as a political weapon , that's why i don't understand how so many countries call themselves democracies and still they have this kind of laws. :jap:

No... it must be very undemocratic to cancel the passports of convicted felons.

it doesn't matter if you have been convicted or not your government should have no authority to cancel your passport, even if you are convicted , if you are convicted they should prevent you from leaving the country, an if you still can run away then they should use Interpol or something , but they should not touch you citizenship at all and i say this not cuz i support Thaksin i say it just cuz is my view and in particular case of K. Thaksin there is a lot of political motivated s... involved :)

His citizenship... well, to clarify, his Thai citizenship, not his Montenegrin citizenship... has not been touched.

They should have done this long ago, no country should deprive their citizens from their nationality , ID or passport cuz governments easily could use this as a political weapon , that's why i don't understand how so many countries call themselves democracies and still they have this kind of laws. :jap:

It's not so bad as Thaksin still has not been deprived of his nationality nor citizenship nor passport with Montenegro.

here the problem is how many passports he has ,the problem is that he has been deprived from his ordinary Thai passport, here in Thailand lots of people has even three different passport, so obviously , that doesn't matter at all

There is no problem with this as there is no specfic Thai law which prohibits a Thai national from holding multiple nationalities

it doesn't matter if you have been convicted or not your government should have no authority to cancel your passport, even if you are convicted , if you are convicted they should prevent you from leaving the country, an if you still can run away then they should use Interpol or something , but they should not touch you citizenship at all and i say this not cuz i support Thaksin i say it just cuz is my view and in particular case of K. Thaksin there is a lot of political motivated s... involved :)

Revoking the passport is the best way to prevent someone from traveling. Doing so does not affect citizenship - khun Thaksin is still a Thai.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about, they can revoke his passport as many times as the which still he can travel and go anywhere he wants cuz he has another citizenship.whistling.gif

A passport is not a right, its a privilage and a passport is a goverments property not an indivduals, so a specific goverment can do what they please with someones passport.

Further getting your passport revokes does not infer you have lost your citizenship, these are two completely different topics.

Maybe here in Thailand is like you say, but in my country , a passport is not a privilege, its a right of every single citizen, and is not property of the government is property of the holder and revoking your passport obviously is a form of hurting or limiting your citizenship, cuz is the same that if you are a citizen and the government deprive you from your ID

You obviously don't know what you are talking about, they can revoke his passport as many times as the which still he can travel and go anywhere he wants cuz he has another citizenship.whistling.gif

Not talking about citizenships - we are talking about whether the Thai government was right to revoke his passport following his conviction. The Thai government can do nothing about other citizenships (which he acquired after the event anyway).

The point being that "yes" they were to evoke and "no" they are wrong to reissue whilst the conviction is outstanding.

Well I have to admit there is a certain honesty in this government. Thaksin spent billions of baht to get them elected, and now they are paying him back.....

Just to clarify - was that comment intended as a positive ?

No.... Guess irony does not come across very well on the internet..... :rolleyes:

Even more grist for the mill. Oh well.

The government has their priorities sorted.

They sure do and it is not the flood victims. Personally. I think the flood was caused by persons trying to get Taksin back and not paying ANY attention to the water that everyone know was coming. Color me paranoid

Revoking the passport is the best way to prevent someone from traveling. Doing so does not affect citizenship - khun Thaksin is still a Thai.

and a Montenegrin, after paying 500 million euros.

A passport is not a right, its a privilage and a passport is a goverments property not an indivduals, so a specific goverment can do what they please with someones passport.

Further getting your passport revokes does not infer you have lost your citizenship, these are two completely different topics.

Maybe here in Thailand is like you say, but in my country , a passport is not a privilege, its a right of every single citizen, and is not property of the government is property of the holder and revoking your passport obviously is a form of hurting or limiting your citizenship, cuz is the same that if you are a citizen and the government deprive you from your ID

My passport says inside it that it is property of my government, and after it is no longer valid, I need to surrender it back to them.

The passport is not my property as such.

Holding a passport is my right as a citizen of my country... but I do not have ownership of the passport.

in my country , a passport is not a privilege, its a right of every single citizen, and is not property of the government is property of the holder and revoking your passport obviously is a form of hurting or limiting your citizenship, cuz is the same that if you are a citizen and the government deprive you from your ID

What country would that be?

Not talking about citizenships - we are talking about whether the Thai government was right to revoke his passport following his conviction. The Thai government can do nothing about other citizenships (which he acquired after the event anyway).

The point being that "yes" they were to evoke and "no" they are wrong to reissue whilst the conviction is outstanding.

That's just your view on it

There is a storm coming....

I agree.

Time to batten down the hatches and shorten sail.

Thaksin's return could be the spark that ignites the tinder. Hopefully, the tinder is wet after the recent floods, but drying out now, and memories are short.

Sad for the masses who believe that he will be their saviour.

They will be the ones who suffer most, once again.

"We are checking some more details but it will be very soon. It will be a normal Thai passport. Let's make a normal passport legally first. It doesn't have to be a diplomat passport."

So he's already noting that after the first passport, Taki will get a Diplomatic passport.

It's a shame that the rural people have and will continuously be played by this guy. He throws some money seeds and they start riots. He throws some money around and gets his sister elected and VOILA! No time in jail, special secret meetings being held to amend the law for him and now, the best of all, giving a CONVICTED FELON a passport.

Samak used to say there was no point in trying to defend against Thaksin, as he had enough money to buy everyone and everything in Thailand. So far his words seem prescient.

"We are checking some more details but it will be very soon. It will be a normal Thai passport. Let's make a normal passport legally first. It doesn't have to be a diplomat passport."

So it starts with a normal passport and once things have calmed down we can upgrade it to diplomatic...

Government has every authority to cancel your passport since they are the ones who issue it. Why should you have a passport making it easy to leave the country if you are convicted to prison? What could you possibly need it for?

Isn't it illegal to hold Thai and foreign passports? He will have to decide which country he really calls home.

Understandable thought ... but duel citizenship is legal under Thai law.

Same as if you have a child here in Thailand.

If your home country allows duel citizenship it the child will hold two Passports.

But surely if he did return, would he not automatically be arrested, having fled the country previously and serve the outstanding jail term of 2 years then be tried further on the outstanding criminal cases against him?

I understand TITs ... but surely this could not be allowed?

Great King's Birthday present ... not!

So then he will have to return the diplomatic passport of Nicaragua, the Montenegron passport as well as the Ugandan citizenship? When a Non-Thai (like Thaksin) is issued a Thai passport then the Non-Thai has to revoke the other nationality/ies ........ or are there differences between non-Thais and non-Thais?

This could all be done quite easily ....

Just as you or I would have to do is get passport photos and apply at you embassy ... ... sign for it when he picks it up

:blink:

If he wants his passpost ... come and get it :ph34r::ermm:

YES..YES..YES...best post today.......but only if he collects at swampybhum...not a Thai embassy/consulate abroad...

Edited by KKK

I think you may find if you go and read the "notes" pages in your own passport you will find your countries passport is exactly the same...:whistling:

This is certainly the case with a British passport.

Further you are confusing having/loosing a passport and its impact on citizenship, getting your passport revoked has no bearing on your citizenship at all, a passport is a travel document thats all.

Edited by Soutpeel

I agree with you but how many of the hill tribe / ethnic groups in the border regions, who are born and bred on Thai soil and whsoe families have lived here for generations still find themselves with very little in terms of paper work proving they are Thai. This has been ongoing for years and still their children are refused education, basic health care etc.

Government has every authority to cancel your passport since they are the ones who issue it. Why should you have a passport making it easy to leave the country if you are convicted to prison? What could you possibly need it for?

Government has the authority that people give to them , my whole point is just that no government should have the authority to revoke passports ,citizenship etc, they issue a passport not as a give ,but as a service that you, as a citizen are entitle to receive, if you have been convicted by a impartial court, and they let you run away then they can issue a warrant for your arrest with the Interpol,right???