Thailand To Issue Passport For Ex-PM Thaksin Soon: FM

webfact

Hey, Montenegro (the current passport supplier) only ranks #66 on the corruption scale (vs. Thailand #80). So yes, getting a passport from there must have been a - uhmmm - difficult task.

Nicaragua is ranked # 127.

thaksinpassport3.jpg

Good Lord, just checked again... Nicaragua is tied with Uganda at the ranking of # 127

Uganda: Internal Affairs Pressed to Explain Thaksin Passport

Kampala -- Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Dr. Stephen Kagoda, could not explain how the former Prime Minister of Thailand, Thaksin Shinawatra, received a diplomatic passport in the name of Takki Shinegra.

http://allafrica.com...1007070939.html

So it follows, that by their standards he is the perfect, upright citizen.

Nicaragua and Montenegro both destinations for the high echelons of the "Jet-Set."

With these sorts of prestigious passports, it's no wonder he had to tell his cousin, Foreign Minister Surapong, to intervene to get him a Japanese visa.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It did allow him to proclaim that he had eliminated all drugs all over Thailand.

drugfree.jpg

Thaksin declares the country 'drug free area'

"The government is pleased to announce that the country is now a drug-free area and will proclaim victory in its war on drugs," said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

The Nation - April 13, 2003

http://www.nationmul...area-77076.html

They should have got him a bigger flag to trumpet his falsehood to all the world!!!

One thing's for sure, there were 2,500 less people in Thailand after his flawed, ill thought out and tragic policy and with just oh!!! so many famiies who lost loved ones - all for the perceived belief that people would love him for it!!! Well justified, clearly!!!:realangry:.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

Kampala -- Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, Dr. Stephen Kagoda, could not explain how the former Prime Minister of Thailand, Thaksin Shinawatra, received a diplomatic passport in the name of Takki Shinegra.

Takki Shinegra = Takkishin Negro (double use of the letter 'n' and maybe 'Negro' is spelt/pronounced 'Negra' in their (Uganda) language)

... or maybe I was just reading to much into it?

it doesn't matter if you have been convicted or not your government should have no authority to cancel your passport, even if you are convicted , if you are convicted they should prevent you from leaving the country, an if you still can run away then they should use Interpol or something , but they should not touch you citizenship at all and i say this not cuz i support Thaksin i say it just cuz is my view and in particular case of K. Thaksin there is a lot of political motivated s... involved :)

A passport is not a right, its a privilage and a passport is a goverments property not an indivduals, so a specific goverment can do what they please with someones passport.

Further getting your passport revokes does not infer you have lost your citizenship, these are two completely different topics.

Maybe here in Thailand is like you say, but in my country , a passport is not a privilege, its a right of every single citizen, and is not property of the government is property of the holder and revoking your passport obviously is a form of hurting or limiting your citizenship, cuz is the same that if you are a citizen and the government deprive you from your ID

My passport says inside it that it is property of my government, and after it is no longer valid, I need to surrender it back to them.

The passport is not my property as such.

Holding a passport is my right as a citizen of my country... but I do not have ownership of the passport.

+1.....second page of my passport read as "This passport is the property of the XXXX Government and may be withdrawn at any time....."

Hey, Montenegro (the current passport supplier) only ranks #66 on the corruption scale (vs. Thailand #80). So yes, getting a passport from there must have been a - uhmmm - difficult task.

Nicaragua is ranked # 127.

thaksinpassport3.jpg

Good Lord, just checked again... Nicaragua is tied with Uganda at the ranking of # 127

With apologies, the figures on rank I was looking at for the above were for 2010. Just noticed that the figures for 2011 have been released.

Nicaragua is ranked even lower this year at # 134

Uganda is ranked even lower this year at # 143

http://cpi.transparency.org/cpi2011/results/#CountryResults

Prestigious countries he calls home are getting more and more corrupt.

Looks like plan A failed; get back in December. So plan B time; get passport back, which is a lesser hurdle to jump.

I am sure there is some Thai law lingering somewhere that says convicted felons cannot be issued passports. Just the matter of someone who really hates Taksin finding it and applying it.

Lets wait for the counter reply... Those mysterious figures in the background that make things happen.

Someone commented that anyone can be bought in Thailand. I disagree; there are certain persons who can never be bought.

The Thai people elected the current government, knowing they would pardon Thaksin.

The people who fitted him up lost.

If they were to round up all the people who oppose the wishes of the majority of Thais, and the elected government.

Things might get easier for everyone.

Isn't it illegal to hold Thai and foreign passports? He will have to decide which country he really calls home.

Getting a new Thai passport is a move in that direction ... i.e., for him to come back to Thailand as a free man.

They should have done this long ago, no country should deprive their citizens from their nationality , ID or passport cuz governments easily could use this as a political weapon , that's why i don't understand how so many countries call themselves democracies and still they have this kind of laws. :jap:

It's common practice in most countries that convicted criminals ... esp. fugitives ... do not have the same rights as law abiding citizens. Least we forget ... Thaksin is a convicted criminal, is a fugitive from justice, and also has other criminal charges to answer to.

Isn't it illegal to hold Thai and foreign passports? He will have to decide which country he really calls home.

Getting a new Thai passport is a move in that direction ... i.e., for him to come back to Thailand as a free man.

Gettibg a passport won't make him a free man. Only serving his sentence then being released from prison would make him a free man. Or, serve part of his sentence, show remorse, then apply for and be granted a pardon. If, on release, he is charged and convicted on another offence he would lose his freedom again.

The Thai government will soon re-issue a passport for fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra as a New Year's gift, the foreign Minister said Friday.

Still lots of Thai who dream of a 'dry' New Year only. Keep on dreaming, a passport for k. Thaksin is more important. I wonder if within a day or two we read k. Thaksin stated not to have asked and not to want this new passport (and certainly not a normal one) <_<

When my wife's passport was stolen while overseas, she was told she wopuld have to return to Thailand to pick up a new one as they could not be issued by the local embassy.

Let Khun Taksin return to Thailand and fill in an application like any other Thai citizen.

In my wife's case they issued a travel document only valid for a single trip to Thailand. That would overcome any other manufactured difficulties of not being able too use one of his other passports to return home

Edited by thaimite

The Thai people elected the current government, knowing they would pardon Thaksin.

The people who fitted him up lost.

If they were to round up all the people who oppose the wishes of the majority of Thais, and the elected government.

Things might get easier for everyone.

Thailand would then be a dictatorship using your methods

it would certainly be easier, as any descent would earn you a beating, arrest and maybe an execution in the jungle

pretty much like the red scourge are doing now......

The other newspaper reports that Thaksin’s legal adviser Noppadon Pattama has been heard of. Can't quote, but the usual stuff on 'symbolic only', 'doesn't really matter', and some more bla, bla and blablabla. Oh, and of course the mandatory "Thaksin doesn't know about this" <_<

The other newspaper reports that Thaksin’s legal adviser Noppadon Pattama has been heard of. Can't quote, but the usual stuff on 'symbolic only', 'doesn't really matter', and some more bla, bla and blablabla.

Oh, and of course the mandatory "Thaksin doesn't know about this" <_<

Followed by another breaking news article there with the obligatory denial by PM Yingluck of having anything to do with the return of the passport for her brother.

It all follows the same checklist used during the failed pardon request. None of the central characters know anything about contentious acts done on their behalf.

:bah:

The other newspaper reports that Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama has been heard of. Can't quote, but the usual stuff on 'symbolic only', 'doesn't really matter', and some more bla, bla and blablabla.

Followed by another breaking news article there with the obligatory denial by PM Yingluck of having anything to do with the return of the passport for her brother.

It all follows the same checklist used during the failed pardon request. None of the central characters know anything about contentious acts done on their behalf.

Just don't blame Little Yingluck... she has been too ill recently to mastermind anything like this. In fact, she didn't know anything about this- fact is she doesn't know anything about anything.

They should have done this long ago, no country should deprive their citizens from their nationality , ID or passport cuz governments easily could use this as a political weapon , that's why i don't understand how so many countries call themselves democracies and still they have this kind of laws. :jap:

No... it must be very undemocratic to cancel the passports of convicted felons.

it doesn't matter if you have been convicted or not your government should have no authority to cancel your passport, even if you are convicted , if you are convicted they should prevent you from leaving the country, an if you still can run away then they should use Interpol or something , but they should not touch you citizenship at all and i say this not cuz i support Thaksin i say it just cuz is my view and in particular case of K. Thaksin there is a lot of political motivated s... involved :)

I believe Passports of Countries have an International Format,which means the Citizen is the Custodian of the Passport,whilst the Government of the said Country is the Owner,which means they can claim their property back,at any time.

Unless someone else knows differently?

From the UK Border Agency:-

British nationality is defined in law. Whether a person has a claim to British nationality can be determined by applying the definitions and requirements of the British Nationality Act 1981 and related legislation to the facts of their date and place of birth and descent.

The most acceptable evidence of British citizenship is a British passport.

Yes but to obtain a British passport in the first place, a person has to prove that he can satisfy one of "the definitions and requirements of British Nationality..................."

Bit of a circular argument

of which one of them??? the passport that use the most in the last page only says that it is valid for 6 years and etc, nothing about revoke it.

I doubt any passport has the word revoke on it, but it should have the words property of.

And it usually isn't you.

He won't tell us his Nationality, because it would be simple for us to check it out.

Edited by MAJIC

When Thaksin's passport was revoked, there was no order from the courts or the police to seize it," Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul told reporters.

Could it be FM Surapong and his buddies are twisting the law for one particular favored person with very deep pockets? .......Naw, couldn't happen in Thailand. :giggle:

Seriously though, if the FM and the other clowns want to pretend they're abiding by the law - what about all the medals and citations that Mr. Thaksin was required by law to return? Did he return any of those - nearly 20 official and royal citations?

How many *governments* issue passports to criminal fugitives?

seems like, to be or not to be a criminal depends on what government is on charge
"When Thaksin's passport was cancelled, there was no order from the courts or the police to seize it," Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul told reporters.

as a consequence of the statement above, we would see soon a warrant for the official that seized mr.T passport ? (probably Abhisit cousin acting illegally by nepotism... never heard yet a criticism upon that fact) lol

The other newspaper reports that Thaksin’s legal adviser Noppadon Pattama has been heard of. Can't quote, but the usual stuff on 'symbolic only', 'doesn't really matter', and some more bla, bla and blablabla.

The other newspaper tends to be a wee bit quicker with newsflashes, posted today 04:38PM it says. Unquotable, but not really surprising 'PM: no role in Thaksin passport'.

Our PM has a clear history of not knowing what her cabinet members are up to. Those fine people were selected on knowledge, capabilities and potential. An interpretation of that I leave to others ;)

Edited by rubl