Motocycle Taxis And Helmets

chubby

last visit i brought a motorcycle helmet to use to take my 5 minute daily rides down the soi to my apt

BUT, i never wore it, because it was just TOO bulky to carry around, after the ride.

the ones the taxis may have never fit and are useless anyway

i was thinking of buying a bicycle helmet, which might be better than nothing, vented and lighter to carry after the ride.

any other ideas?

maybe i could get the guys at the top of the soi to hold my helmet till i might return to ride back for a price .............

Why not leave it with the bike? Buy a cheap bicycle combination lock and secure the helmet to the bike when parked. Unless you're given to parking in some well-dodgy areas, it'll probably be safe enough without the lock .

If you don't usually carry more than one passenger, get a top-box - 800THB in Tescos.

Edited by phaethon

fwiw i considered a bicycle helmet, perhaps better than nothing, or one of the motorcycle skull cap type helmets

bike helmet is apparently rated to only 15mph, which i think is the speed moving between cars, but not when they open up, when the soi has no cars in them

bike helmet would also be light enough to place in a backpack, when i then take the sky train somewhere, i don't just go one place, then back so that won't work at all

i think there is no solution, which is too bad as i prefer motorcycle taxis, tuktuk are no as common to find and rife with hassle factor

Eh voila!

Folding helmet

And sooooooo Xmassy!

I did actually momentarily wonder if it is now technically possible to make an effective inflatable helmet from kevlar reinforced material...

fwiw i considered a bicycle helmet, perhaps better than nothing, or one of the motorcycle skull cap type helmets

bike helmet is apparently rated to only 15mph, which i think is the speed moving between cars, but not when they open up, when the soi has no cars in them

bike helmet would also be light enough to place in a backpack, when i then take the sky train somewhere, i don't just go one place, then back so that won't work at all

i think there is no solution, which is too bad as i prefer motorcycle taxis, tuktuk are no as common to find and rife with hassle factor

Maybe you can get something like the Pango Folding Bicycle helmet (short Video). I have never tested something like this, but it should be much more comfortable to walk around compared to an ordenary bicycle helmet. Even if the helmet would be rated to 15mph it is sure better than no helmet. In bicycle races they are doing much faster speeds and always wear helmets. Good luck.

thx for that folding helmet doesn't appear to be on sale anywhere, and i'm starting to wonder if even wearing a helmet is so much better

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=4688

there seems to be no data showing that helmet use prevents head injuries

Maybe you can get something like the Pango Folding Bicycle helmet (short Video). I have never tested something like this, but it should be much more comfortable to walk around compared to an ordenary bicycle helmet. Even if the helmet would be rated to 15mph it is sure better than no helmet. In bicycle races they are doing much faster speeds and always wear helmets. Good luck.

thx for that folding helmet doesn't appear to be on sale anywhere, and i'm starting to wonder if even wearing a helmet is so much better

http://www.ctc.org.u...aspx?tabid=4688

there seems to be no data showing that helmet use prevents head injuries

OK, best for you is a fullface motrocycle helmet, full leather gear, back protector and motocross boots. This should be adequate to use mocy-taxis even in BKK :-)

This is why i avoid using mocy-taxis. Its much to dangerous.

• 2 weeks later...