I Just Bought A Bad Batch Of Chang Beer

3SoiDogNight

Before you post, I don’t care what your opinion is about what your favorite beer is or how much you hate Chang. I just want to get a simple answer.

In the 5 years I’ve been living in Thailand, Chang Classic has been my favorite Thai beer. Despite all the rumors I hear about it being inconsistent with alcohol content I haven’t found to be true.

Two days ago I bought 3 bottles of Chang from the Villa Market at Central Ratchayothin here in Bangkok.

This didn’t taste like Chang and it didn’t even taste like beer. It taste like formaldehyde mixed with flood water. :sick:

It was disgusting and it didn’t even get me buzzed. It just made me sick.

Does anyone here know if the brewing facilities for Chang have been compromised because of the floods?

They have altered stuff to prolong shelf life to l think 6 months. SO, seems what goes in does alter and deteriorate after time. If you have bought an out of date beer it could really taste different. I have bought my favourite Chang Draught by the box and had bad tasting one where l believe they were old stock. ;)

Does anyone here know if the brewing facilities for Chang have been compromised because of the floods?

Chang's big brewery is in Pathumthani, though I think their premises was not actually flooded.

Could be fakes - if you say that was bottled beer. :ermm:

Edited by Payboy

Chang's big brewery is in Pathumthani, though I think their premises was not actually flooded.

You have taken the words out of me already.

Two days ago I bought 3 bottles of Chang from the Villa Market at Central Ratchayothin here in Bangkok.

" Could be fakes whatever " Yep !! probably what they call opened and topped, very common, always get to know the place where you buy your beer.

Edited by Kwasaki

Chang's biggest brewery is at Klong Klung in Kampaeng Phet. Their older, but smaller, brewery is at Bang Bon, north of Ayudhaya. The latter one may have been flooded but both places probably had delivery problems during the flooding. They also took over the old Carlsberg place at Wang Noi but I am not sure they are producing Chang there.

Bottles sold were opened, and then recapped?

How long were they open?

That is a bit concerning to me because there becomes an issue with germs and bacteria.

I find this ironic considering that Villa and this shopping center tries to cater to the nouveau riche HiSo crowd.

Thanks for the information.

I should have been suspicious because the Villa Market near me doesn't usually stock Chang Classic 24 ounce bottles, at least not in the refrigerated section.

My area did get flooded and this store was closed for about 3 weeks. I'm amazed at how many businesses held out and remained open during the beginning of the floods. Then immediately re-opened when the flood waters hadn't completely subsided.

I'll just stick with Leo for the next few weeks and hopefully this bad batch runs out or gets poured out.

A year or so ago, I had a few bottles of nasty tasting Chang, and it is my regular drink. Even sent a couple of bottles back in a restaurant due to non-Chang taste.

I believe it was because a few cases had been left exposed to strong sun on the delivery truck.

They have altered stuff to prolong shelf life to l think 6 months. SO, seems what goes in does alter and deteriorate after time. If you have bought an out of date beer it could really taste different. I have bought my favourite Chang Draught by the box and had bad tasting one where l believe they were old stock. ;)

Too bad the cat house isn't around any more, 100 baht all the out of date chang you can drink :bah:

Too bad the cat house isn't around any more, 100 baht all the out of date chang you can drink :bah:

I guess that explains why the Cat House is no longer around.

Where do you think all the flood water is going?:whistling:

Leo...most likely!

My guess would have been Singha or Thai made Heineken but those two brands have always taste like s--t.

Sorry to hijack the thread, put it is sort of on topic.

I thought The Cathouse was a great little bar, hassle free, always a good atmospere, none of the stuck up my shit dont stink attitude staff so prevalent elsewhere.

Yeah sure the drink was cheap, but there was something not just me but many others loved about the place, I miss its passing, I havent been back to the NP since it closed.

Does anyone more informed than me know of anywhere similair?

Not flood related.

UTFSE and you will find similar posts from a couple of years ago about chlorine tasting Chang.

Probably a machinery breakdown during the bottle sterilisation process and the bottles don't get rinsed properly.

or the first bottles after the cleaned the machine....

Bought only 3 Bottles, but tasted BAD and Op continued to drink them until Sick ???

<deleted>.

Why bother posting over 3 lousy beers that barely cost over a hundred baht for all 3.

Throw them away and be careful next time wher the beer is bought and inspect the bottle/can/container for signs of tampering.

occassionally get beers, soda pops etc that taste odd or bad. Many times they are past date.

Forget about it.

op wrote:This didn’t taste like Chang and it didn’t even taste like beer. It taste like formaldehyde mixed with flood water. :sick:

It was disgusting and it didn’t even get me buzzed. It just made me sick.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking for a 'buzz' would imply you drank at least half the bottle. If it tasted so bad - WHY?:jap:

Bought only 3 Bottles, but tasted BAD and Op continued to drink them until Sick ???

<deleted>.

Why bother posting over 3 lousy beers that barely cost over a hundred baht for all 3.

Throw them away and be careful next time wher the beer is bought and inspect the bottle/can/container for signs of tampering.

occassionally get beers, soda pops etc that taste odd or bad. Many times they are past date.

Forget about it.

Where did I say I drank all 3?

I only drank 1 bottle, I opened and smelled and sipped the other 2 bottles and threw them all out.

Besides, I have every right to post about any topic related to Thailand that I want. If you don't like the topic, don't read it.

I wasn't at the bottling facility that brewed this beer and the Villa Market I bought the beers from I've shopped at since it first open and I haven't had any problems with any of their products in the past. I thought maybe someone else may have had a similar situation. As you can see, I'm very new to this site and figured I can get an answer from all of the 'experts' here in the forums.

Anyhow, those beers are long gone.

You have taken the words out of me already.

" Could be fakes whatever " Yep !! probably what they call opened and topped, very common, always get to know the place where you buy your beer.

How low can you go? faking a bottle of Chang beer! Is nothing sacred!

<deleted>.

Forget about it.

Where did I say I drank all 3?

I only drank 1 bottle, I opened and smelled and sipped the other 2 bottles and threw them all out.

Besides, I have every right to post about any topic related to Thailand that I want. If you don't like the topic, don't read it.

I wasn't at the bottling facility that brewed this beer and the Villa Market I bought the beers from I've shopped at since it first open and I haven't had any problems with any of their products in the past. I thought maybe someone else may have had a similar situation. As you can see, I'm very new to this site and figured I can get an answer from all of the 'experts' here in the forums.

Anyhow, those beers are long gone.

When I got a bad batch I took them back to Tescos and swapped them for Leo.

All they did was put them back on the shelf even though I told them they were bad.

• 9 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I just noticed that Chang Classic has now been reduced to 4.8% ABV.

They introduced Cold Brew version around a year ago that was 4.8%, while the classic remained as 5%.

Now it looks like Cold Brew has disappeared, and Chang Classic has sneakily been reduced to 4.8%.

Was it a case of Chang Classic beer being phased out, and now they are using the Cold Press 4.8% version as Chang Classic?

5 hours ago, JeffersLos said:

I just noticed that Chang Classic has now been reduced to 4.8% ABV.

They introduced Cold Brew version around a year ago that was 4.8%, while the classic remained as 5%.

Now it looks like Cold Brew has disappeared, and Chang Classic has sneakily been reduced to 4.8%.

Was it a case of Chang Classic beer being phased out, and now they are using the Cold Press 4.8% version as Chang Classic?

0.2% difference. Next to nothing.