The O-A Visa Now Appears To Officially Be Long Stay, Not Retirement

I am all for calling a spade, a spade and

• tourist visa, not 60-day visa
  • multiple-entry non-O visa, not one-year visa
  • non-O/A visa, not retirement visa

When I was a wee lad and first started reading this forum, that third descriptor "non-O/A visa," and similar common shorthand like "non-O visa" used to confuse and mislead me.

To me: "non-O/A visa" meant a visa that is "not an O-A visa," and "non-O visa" meant a visa that is "not an O visa", when in fact the "non" is a shortcut for "non-immigrant." I used to scratch my head wondering what type of one-year "non-O/A visa" folks were obtaining that weren't Non-Immigrant O-A visas. I'm not trying to be pedantic, I'm serious. Think back to before you were a visa "expert." What did you think "non-O visa" meant?

Reads like a script for a Marx Brothers sketch. All it lacks is punctuation with a honk of Harpo's horn.

Don't forget the Sanity Clause - chorus in your best Groucho Marx voice "We all know there's no such thing as Sanity Clause" (yeah well it works well in the film!!!!!!)

Edited by sysardman

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year I went to Thailand, and met my now girlfriend, Wan, and was able after vigorous opposition by the NZ immigration service,

to bring her here to New Zealand for six months.

We go back in April 2012. I want to get a OA Visa, for a stay up to one year in Thailand .

On the Visa application forms here in NZ it is just called a non immigrant Visa .

However many writers here say, just get a Visitor Visa and apply in Thailand for the long stay O-A Visa.

Apparently this avoids all this police verification , and medical certificate.

Well now, assuming I go over on Visitor Visa, and then apply for Long stay O-A Visa I have to show800,000 baht in Thai bank for long stay, or 400,000 baht if I marry Wan shortly.

Question : Is it better to indicate clearly to Thai authority by applying for O-A Visa from home country.

My other queston is, can an English speaker negotiate his way around Thai bank accounts. Are statements ever written in English.

Would I be dependent on my Thai girlfriend/ wife to operate this account. I ask this because she tends to spend money, and I now give her generous but sustainable allowance.

Transferring money from here, NZ to Thailand is wicked, foreign currency dealers charge about 4%.

I think I would load my credit card with equivalent 800,000 baht and then put that into Thai bank account, when I get there.

Edited by peterquixote

As you mention O-A you must be over age 50 so many choices.

1. One year non immigrant O-A from home country with proof of income/bank account there in single or multi entry versions for one year stay on entry. Requires medical and police check.

2. Non immigrant O visa on basis of marriage in single or multi entry for 90 day stay(s). No requirement other than your marriage.

3. Visitor visa could be used but why? You must have a non immigrant entry to extend inside Thailand anyhow. Much better to use single entry non immigrant O.

4. Extend in Thailand for Retirement - 800k in bank account 2 months first time or 65k monthly income or combo. Passport/financials are the only paperwork. Same process each year.

5. Extend in Thailand for Thai Wife - 400k in bank account 2 months or 40k monthly income. Her and your paperwork and home visit and under review period each year.

Almost all bank accounts use passbook saving rather than statements and the entries will be in English. English is also used online and on phone so not an issue. I would suggest you set up ability to SWIFT transfer money rather than use credit card (this may require paperwork signed at your bank before you travel so you can do from here).

Actually most of us old farts have never had or will have an O-A visa. We came on a non immigrant O visa and extend our stay for retirement. That is not O-A. The O-A is a special pre-approved visa/one year extension of stay combination obtained in home country and has only been available for a few years.

"Home country" might be a bit misleading if it's interpreted as country of citizenship. I'm American, but got my O-A/Retirement Visa (their terminology) in Dubai and was offered the opportunity to apply for one also in Islamabad while getting a 60 day tourist visa at the Thai Embassy there . Apparently the clerk thought I looked like I needed more than a two month holiday. At those times I was resident in the UAE and in Pakistan, but definitely not a citizen of either.

Oh dear, Peterquixote really should start a new thread so we could all help him.

We could explain how "O-A" visas are granted overseas, how he could come into Thailand on 30 day visa exempt status and then apply for an 90 day "O" visa here and then do a 12 month retirement extension to that visa. We could outline the pros and cons of each strategy.

Also, Peterquixote maybe should visit the banking forum for advice about the best way to transfer funds from NZ to Thailand. I don't know the particulars, but somehow I think it's best not to involve a Thai GF in the process.

Every day here in Chiang Mai I see retired male westerners being led around by their (ahem) "nose" by Thai GFs as they conduct business with the internet provider, bank, Immigration, cable TV company, etc. All those service providers have someone on their staff who can speak English (at least they do here in CM). It may not be the most understandable English, but all these companies have OK English-language websites. If you do a bit of internet research before you visit their offices, you can always get what you saw on the internet and usually much more. Study a bit of Thai and you'll be able to order your own food in the street stalls, too!

Every day here in Chiang Mai I see retired male westerners being led around by their (ahem) "nose" by Thai GFs as they conduct business with the internet provider, bank, Immigration, cable TV company, etc.

Every day! At all those different offices ? That has to be exhausting. Maybe you should take up golf. :rolleyes:

OK, with reference to the immediately preceding posts:

From senior member

"For everyone'sinformation here is the official MFAweb page about the Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long Stay). Shouldanswer most people's questions. "

Yes but On the MFA website there is no mention of a Non Immigrant O Visa, it outlines other Visas, and specificallythe "O-A" ( Long stay) Visa, but no mention I could find of

Non Immigrant O Visa ( for person married to Thai ) .

and Super member at time 21.41

"We could explain how"O-A" visas are granted overseas, how he could come into Thailand on 30 day visa exempt status and then apply for an 90 day "O" visa here

and then do a 12 month retirement extension to that visa. We could outline the pros and cons of each strategy".

Well, earlier this year I was told categorically in Thailand, and on this site, that original Visa was not possible from within Thailand from Visa exempt status.( 30 days )

I had to go to Laos to get Visitor Visa .

The Police here in New Zealand are uninterested in the public service of certification of non criminal record, so that eliminates "O-A" (long stay) Visa from here.

So to achieve long stay status, I believe I need to get firstly a Visitor Tourist Visa or preferably Non Immigrant "O" Visa, if I am married in time, here in New Zealand.

On another thread I read that you can have funds and income from the home country bank, notarised by Embassy and this will suffice for

long stay extension.

From the MFA site on "O-A" (long stay) Visa .. "In the case of submitting a bank statement, a letter of guarantee from the bank ( original ) is required."

Does this mean letter saying yes this bloke has this amount in bank [ over 800,000 baht at this date ] before he left home country for Thailand.

This could be months before the application for long stay.

Is not the home country Embassy notarised letter more useful as it can be up to date of the application for long stay.

Thanks Lopburi3 "

2. Non immigrant O visa on basis of marriage in single or multi entry for 90 day stay(s). No requirement other than your marriage.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">3. Visitor visa could be used but why? You must have a non immigrant entry to extend inside Thailand anyhow. Much better to use single entry non immigrant O.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">4. Extend in Thailand for Retirement - 800k in bank account 2 months first time or 65k monthly income or combo. Passport/financials are the only paperwork. Same process each year.<br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">5. Extend in Thailand for Thai Wife - 400k in bank account 2 months or 40k monthly income. Her and your paperwork and home visit and under review period each year."

Lopburi, does Thai wife have to have bank account as in 5. above <br style="color: rgb(28, 40, 55); line-height: 20px; background-color: rgb(250, 251, 252); ">

Edited by peterquixote

Not sure of your question but for extension for Thai Wife the requirement is that you have bank account of 400k in Thailand for two months prior to application or proof of 40k per month income.

As said all extensions must start with a non immigrant visa entry - and non immigrant O is the normal starting point - and most Consulates will issue a single entry for those over age 50 to allow extension within Thailand. The 30 day visa exempt can be used for in-country conversion but is not a good idea because airline will often have heartburn and may prevent your boarding without onward tickets.

Seems that the Ministry of Justice in New Zealand doesn't have any problem with issuing a criminal record check. They even mention what to do if required for visa purposes. Here is the quote from their website:

Get a copy of your criminal record

If you are an individual and you want a copy of your own criminal record, you need to:

1. Complete the Request by individual for a copy of any criminal convictions (Priv/F1) form. You will need to print and sign it.
  2. Attach a copy of your drivers’ licence OR passport. Do not send original identification. If you do not have a drivers licence or passport, you will need to ask someone to confirm your identity, using Section 2 of the form.
  3. If your application is for a visa to travel overseas or apply for citizenship in another country, please attach a coversheet stating you will require the result to be on original letterhead with ink signature.
    Note: This is NOT required for Australia.
  4. Send us your completed form and copy of identification. You can either:

What happens next?

We will post you a copy of your criminal record within 20 working days of the date we receive your completed form and identification.

(Please note that this does not include postage time.)

Document Actions

thanks Wayned,

I must have rung the wrong cop about no criminal record , it could be just criminal stupidity but also sorry my cut and pastes above are not working well.

I have formed the opinion that one should apply for the highest quality Visa before leaving home, so I will apply for non criminal record,

as per your advice, then get medical check for Non Immigrant "O-A" ( long stay) Visa.

The alternative is Non Immigrant "O" ( marriage) Visa.

I live in Christchurch NZ which has had earthquakes, and the marriage registrar operates now out of a industrial shed at Christchurch airport.

Very romantic, do not come here.

I just today bought Thai girl a diamond ring, I can post my bank balance and see what you think.

Also again thanks Lopburi3, it is true what you say about airlines

" The 30 day visa exempt can be used for in-country conversion but is not a good idea because airline will often have heartburn and may prevent your boarding without onward tickets".

I boarded by Quantas airlines to Bangkok earlier this year, tickets for NZ to Thailand go and return 60 days apart, without Visa, Quantas went into panic, tried to tell me about criminal stupidity,

did computer print out of new tickets. Apparently there is some liability for the airlines depositing people in Bangkok to make sure the rules can be followed.

I get criticised on this site for rambling, but the matters are complex, and asking a Thai authority person is not always very good.

Two days before the floods hit Bangkok I had my dear Wan on a flight to NZ.

She told me, i don't know why you worry and rush so much, the Prime Minister says no floods in Bangkok at all.

Thank you Wayned for correction on my comments. I must haverung the wrong cop about no criminal. record. I will reconsiderthe Non Immigrant "O-A" ( longstay) option. I am very glad that the NZ Police will be able to tell me that Iam not criminally stupid, as suggested elsewhere by Nancy fancy that ..

About the Non Immigrant "O" Visa ( based onmarriage) ..well I live in Christchurch, we had earthquakes that changed things and now and the localmarriage Registrar operates out of a shed over at the airport. Very Romantic.

Also thank you again Lopburi3, it is true as you say aboutairlines " The 30 day visa exempt can be used for in-countryconversion but is not a good idea because airline will often have heartburn andmay prevent your boarding without onward tickets. " Iarrived at Christchurch airport earlier this year with a ticket for60 days, non Visa entry, and they went into panic. Apparently there is some liablityon airlines to make sure travellers to Bangkok are not criminally stupid, andfollow Thai Visa regulations.

Now some people accuse me of rambling here, but matters arecomplex and I have learned not to ask Thai authority anything. I have to get to Thailand, look after girlfriend , andfamily; and then get married and apply for permanent residency for her here in New Zealand. The NZ Immigration office in Bangkok service is run and operated by Thaipeople. They approached the case as though she were a vagrant and itwas unbelievable nonsense from them justgetting her here for a visitor Visa.

Peterquixote -- it is possible to go from 30-day visa exempt status to an "O" visa within Thailand. I know numerous people who have done this. Not every Immigration office does it, but you can go to Bangkok to get it done.

As pointed out, the problem may be in trying to board a plane to Thailand without an out-bound ticket. The problem will be with the airline, not Thai officials. Quantas seems to be especially concerned about this issue -- - many American airlines don't seem to care. The solution is to buy a cheap ticket out of Thailand -- like to a neighboring country -- on an airline like Air Asia.

However, if you have the time and inclination to jump thru the hoops to get an O-A visa before you leave your home country -- then do that! Perhaps the peace-of-mind will compensate for the hassle and expense of getting a police check, medical exam and whatever you have to do to prove financial worth.

Edited by NancyL

<BR>Peterquixote -- it is possible to go from 30-day visa exempt status to an "O" visa within Thailand. I know numerous people who have done this. Not every Immigration office does it, but you can go to Bangkok to get it done.<BR><BR>As pointed out, the problem may be in trying to board a plane to Thailand without an out-bound ticket. The problem will be with the airline, not Thai officials. Quantas seems to be especially concerned about this issue -- - many American airlines don't seem to care. The solution is to buy a cheap ticket out of Thailand -- like to a neighboring country -- on an airline like Air Asia. <BR><BR>However, if you have the time and inclination to jump thru the hoops to get an O-A visa before you leave your home country -- then do that! Perhaps the peace-of-mind will compensate for the hassle and expense of getting a police check, medical exam and whatever you have to do to prove financial worth.<BR>
<BR><BR>

Nancy you seem to think that it's better for peter to come to Thailand an obtain a Non-O and retirementextension here rather than obtain a Non O/A in New Zealand. Please read and comment on my long winded attachment advising him of the advantages of a Non-O/A visa.

Oa vs extension.doc

Edited by wayned

There are advantages and disadvantages either scheme -- getting an O-A in one's home country before arriving in Thailand or coming in on 30-day visa exempt status, then applying for an 90-day O visa in Thailand and extending for 12 months during the final 30 days of that O visa.

We tried to get O-A visas in the U.S. and found the process very cumbersome. We were told to deal with the Chicago consulate, which didn't reply to emails, had confusing info on their website, were difficult to understand on the phone and misrepresented how long it would take to process the visa.

Our doctor insisted on ordering tests to confirm all the medical conditions listed on the medical form. Our financial counselor had to go thru much red tape at his home office in order to get verification of how much we had in our various investment accounts. I think we had to have various forms notarized. The criminal check was fairly easy, but it took some internet research to figure out how to get one.

Hubby and I submitted identical paperwork. Our investment accounts had well in excess of 1,600,000 baht in joint accounts. We both requested O-A visas and paid for them. In the end, when the passports were returned 2 weeks later than promised, Hubby was awarded an O-A visa and I was granted an O visa. It was the day before our flight to Thailand. So, we came here and immediately had to open a bank account to transfer 800,000 baht here for me. When I asked at Chiang Mai immigration why I didn't get an O-A visa from the Chicago consulate, I was told I had to ask them.

We had to jump thru all these hoops during a very busy time, when we were winding down our business, selling or giving away our stuff, seeing friends we wouldn't see for a long time in the future, etc. It was a very stressful time.

In retrospect, we should have just hopped on the plane with our passports, come in on 30 day visa exempt and applied for an O visa here in Chiang Mai, where the Immigration officials are fairly helpful and it's easy to talk with them in person, rather than trying to deal via emails and phone calls.

It all gets curioser and curioser doesn't it, I wonder how many good people the country of Thialand loses because of its insane visitor laws.

The hoops to jump through for Visa's in Thailand seem to me mind boggling and absurd. And getting in touch with consulates and Embassy's in home country [ NancyL above ] can also be an amazing experience. They may not answer their phones, and they probably won't answer an email.

Now Wayneds letter above, is the way I am thinking.

His writing here:

doc.gif Oa vs extension.doc

The Non Immigration "O-A" (long stay ) Visa originating from one's own country seems the way to go.

The Non criminal procedure does look straight forward, [ and as informed, NZ authority will give you papers ] There are some interesting things here, like Thailand wants to look past our clean slate record into the totality of a person's life.

The Medical from is something that could only have come out of Thailand

Retirement Visa ... What Are The Medical Requirements- - Thailand Forum

As far as Non Immigration "O" Visa [ marriage credentials] Visa goes. I am imagine the Thailand Embassy here in NZ will accept a marriage certificate in the language of their residence, ie English.

Edited by peterquixote