Are You A Winner Or A Loser

PattaniMan

However, I refuse to draw abstract conclusions about PattaniMan because the truth is that he/she might very well be quite accomplished in life. Accomplished antagonists do exist.

On Thai Visa, they all seem to claim that they have beautiful, educated wives with white skin, big successful businesses and have tons of money (especially on threads where they are complaining about how expensive Thai food in roadside stands is becoming). :whistling:

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

However, I refuse to draw abstract conclusions about PattaniMan because the truth is that he/she might very well be quite accomplished in life. Accomplished antagonists do exist.

On Thai Visa, they all seem to claim that they have beautiful, educated wives with white skin, big successful businesses and have tons of money (especially on threads where they are complaining about how expensive Thai food in roadside stands is becoming). :whistling:

lol -- hey, image is everything. My grandmother always said "ThailandMan, you gotta fake it 'till you make it"!

the happiest person i know is a thai man who lives in the absolute most ghetto part of klong toy.

you can barely stretch out in his little one room shack built from garbage.

he was a former olympian, and 2 time gold medalist boxer in the asian games, also a very successful muay thai fighter.

now he had same problems and is living where he is.

however the fact that he and his wife are the happiest people i have seen, i think that makes them the most successful people i know.

i hope i obtain what they have.

The trouble usually comes into ghetto 'paradise' when someone in this situation gets seriously ill. Those 70,000 Baht full body PET scans at the National Cyclotron and PET Centre that detect cancer anywhere in your body aren't part of the 30 Baht nor social security med. plan despite it being a government institution. In fact there are plenty of 'elite' treatment regimens within gov't hospitals that seem to only to have 'poor' relatives of generals of the various armed forces as their patients in addition of course to paying clientele. There are very few things other than luck, good genes, and healthy living that will beat or at least significantly delay cancer... and one of those things is stacks and stacks of grey notes.

:)

The treatments for cancer are often worse than the disease and still ineffective. Better off dying and saving the money for your family. The only winners are the hospitals and doctors.

Either way it requires good luck.

As mentioned, if caught early you can buy yourself a LOT more time, and in fact can avoid it altogether (like cancerous warts or single spot skin growths, removal of potentially cancerous cysts for women, even catching liver cancer when it's a simple single lesion in one lobe, for example). If you can't afford it, it's quite 'normal' to find out you have stage 3 or more cancer so it's quite normal for much of the population to think it's an automatic death sentence.

how often do you get yourself checked for cancer?

Every year. As you probably know, you aren't necessarily looking for cancer but your exam results (blood, urine, ultrasound, x-rays... which I actually limit to once every few years, etc.) may point to further in depth tests if required. Also handy as literal evidence of not having an existing condition years down the road should there be any questions by the insurance folks.

That said, I've known more than a few folks who have had cancer sneak up on them anyway, tests not withstanding. Still, I'd say the odds are much better for those who are able to keep tabs on the various values, stats, and numbers their body produces.

I'd say you're the depressed one here - running around trying to be a winner and looking for losers to measure yourself against.

That's a mighty depressing existence.

You need to get a grip on reality and see that it has nothing to do with winning or losing. It's choosing your parents well that counts most in life.

Just count your lucky stars you didn't choose to be born in Ethiopia or Bangladesh.

You can choose your parents?!?

Yes, of course! Before you entered this physical existence (you were a free floating, thinking, energy blob) you looked upon this planet, amongst many others, and chose your "ride". Your "ride" being the meat-based-body that you picked out to reside in for the duration of functionality of that body. You might have looked at the "parents" of that "ride" if you chose to, or you might only have looked at the quality/construction of the ride itself. Point of game entry NOT being conception of meat-based-ride OR even necessarily at ejection/birth but up to a few years after ejection so as to determine quality of ride. Or, totally just hit the "random" button for a surprise of where in the game you might show up. But, it is common, although doesn't happen every single time, that "families" and groups of friends show up in the game over and over, in different rides, in the same geographical area. Same dorf, city, prefecture, tambon etc. Hope this clears things up for you.

I'd say you're the depressed one here - running around trying to be a winner and looking for losers to measure yourself against.

You need to get a grip on reality and see that it has nothing to do with winning or losing. It's choosing your parents well that counts most in life.

Just count your lucky stars you didn't choose to be born in Ethiopia or Bangladesh.

Yes, of course! Before you entered this physical existence (you were a free floating, thinking, energy blob) you looked upon this planet, amongst many others, and chose your "ride". Your "ride" being the meat-based-body that you picked out to reside in for the duration of functionality of that body. You might have looked at the "parents" of that "ride" if you chose to, or you might only have looked at the quality/construction of the ride itself. Point of game entry NOT being conception of meat-based-ride OR even necessarily at ejection/birth but up to a few years after ejection so as to determine quality of ride. Or, totally just hit the "random" button for a surprise of where in the game you might show up. But, it is common, although doesn't happen every single time, that "families" and groups of friends show up in the game over and over, in different rides, in the same geographical area. Same dorf, city, prefecture, tambon etc. Hope this clears things up for you.

LOL

There's certainly a lot of literature about that. However, I prefer the theory that we choose the life that we can learn from, as it explains why much of my life was so completely sh***y!

Think about it- if we just got to choose any old life, we'd be born to mega rich families and live wonderful lives of luxury. As it is, most people lives lives of abject horror.

The only thing to mark success is reproduction, that is the reason for all living creatures.

Those who create more children are a greater success than those who create none.

Those who create healthy children are more successful than those who create unhealthy children.

This is the definition of success for any species.

Money and fame doesn't matter unless it leads to greater reproduction.

Many men strive for wealth and power as it allows them to mate with the women regarded as likely to produce the "best" children, whatever that may be at the present point in man's evolution.

However, as they are driven by genetics and not intellect, I consider them to be losers.

Mankind left the cave thousands of years ago, but few have evolved beyond being cavemen.

Many men strive for wealth and power as it allows them to mate with the women regarded as likely to produce the "best" children, whatever that may be at the present point in man's evolution.

However, as they are driven by genetics and not intellect, I consider them to be losers.

Mankind left the cave thousands of years ago, but few have evolved beyond being cavemen.

Garbage.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Greed is right.

Greed works.

Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

The point here is that greed for money and power (which you consider to be genetic traits) are often inseparable from a greed for knowledge (which you consider to be an intellectual trait). Genetics and intellect often go hand in hand.

There's certainly a lot of literature about that. However, I prefer the theory that we choose the life that we can learn from, as it explains why much of my life was so completely sh***y!

Think about it- if we just got to choose any old life, we'd be born to mega rich families and live wonderful lives of luxury. As it is, most people lives lives of abject horror.

When we are in the energy state, we are in a whole different viewpoint AND remember ALL previous rides. So that would cause a whole different choice than what would be made from the tiny viewpoint of being inside the ride. Also, being in a rich ride doesn't guarantee a smooth ride. Money can cause more problems than it cures, sometimes. Note to self, choose rich ride next time, see what I can learn.:whistling:

Garbage.

Greed, in all of its forms -- greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge -- has marked the upward surge of mankind.

(You're not going to win by turning your own thread into a flame-fest. Suggest not using words like "garbage" to sum up other posts)

The only upward surge of mankind has been population. Of course this is personal opinion, as is yours, but I'd happily go back to the 60's and give up on your "upward surge".

So far I been "Winning" here in Thailand, but I have only been here for 3 years. Business is great apart from the last 2 months due to closing for the floods.

Thai wifey and I came from Australia on holidays here for a few years and decided to open a Web Design and development business 3 years ago. We have also now into Kiosk stands, Car wraps and we have grown from 3 employees in the first year to 14 in the 3rd year. Dealing with Thai employees was difficult at first, but I think I have figured them out, give them free food once a week, free beer on Fridays, treat them like family and they "mostly" stay loyal. Treat them like shit and they treat you like shit too.

First stages of growing is very risky, if you don't plan it right it can fail very easily. I am still not out of the risky stage yet so will not know if I am a winner or loser just yet. But I have a wifey that is driven and strives for success, which helps and probably would of failed already if I was with someone who was lazy.

So far I been "Winning" here in Thailand, but I have only been here for 3 years. Business is great apart from the last 2 months due to closing for the floods.

Thai wifey and I came from Australia on holidays here for a few years and decided to open a Web Design and development business 3 years ago. We have also now into Kiosk stands, Car wraps and we have grown from 3 employees in the first year to 14 in the 3rd year. Dealing with Thai employees was difficult at first, but I think I have figured them out, give them free food once a week, free beer on Fridays, treat them like family and they "mostly" stay loyal. Treat them like shit and they treat you like shit too.

First stages of growing is very risky, if you don't plan it right it can fail very easily. I am still not out of the risky stage yet so will not know if I am a winner or loser just yet. But I have a wifey that is driven and strives for success, which helps and probably would of failed already if I was with someone who was lazy.

Contact me privately. I'll tell you a success story that will inspire you.

I can't promise to teach you how to be the best, but I'll happily give you a few tips.

So THAT is how you define winners from losers?

If that is so, I am a total loser.

But my definition of "winning" is different.

I came here with practically "nothing" but a job!

I wanted to work abroad and "make it" (not "make it big") in Thailand.

I succeeded.

In 4 years I am now having my 4th and hopefully final job...and I am happy in this job!

Though there were many difficulties - I am working in tourism and red shirts, yellow shirts, floods and bombs didn't actually help- I am still here and still kicking.

I met some very nice people (farang and thai) who I now call my friends.

I made some nice and some not so nice experiences, I learned a lot about how different people in a different culture can be.

I learned that I WILL BE Respected, even if I am different in thinking and attitude, by people who are genuinly interested in me as a person, if I behave like a human being and not like a snobbish @sshole.

I learned to see many things more relaxed- and still worked up about others.

I am still me!

I have made it!

And IF I decide it is time to go home, I will.

And If I decide that I will stay forever- I will!

That makes me a winner!

So THAT is how you define winners from losers?

If that is so, I am a total loser.

But my definition of "winning" is different.

I came here with practically "nothing" but a job!

I wanted to work abroad and "make it" (not "make it big") in Thailand.

I succeeded.

In 4 years I am now having my 4th and hopefully final job...and I am happy in this job!

Though there were many difficulties - I am working in tourism and red shirts, yellow shirts, floods and bombs didn't actually help- I am still here and still kicking.

I met some very nice people (farang and thai) who I now call my friends.

I made some nice and some not so nice experiences, I learned a lot about how different people in a different culture can be.

I learned that I WILL BE Respected, even if I am different in thinking and attitude, by people who are genuinly interested in me as a person, if I behave like a human being and not like a snobbish @sshole.

I learned to see many things more relaxed- and still worked up about others.

I am still me!

I have made it!

And IF I decide it is time to go home, I will.

And If I decide that I will stay forever- I will!

That makes me a winner!

Thats all you really need, as long as your happy then thats what makes you a "winner" here.

I see some people who have great jobs here but are so miserable they just pick at everything to be negative out of anything.

Garbage.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that greed -- for lack of a better word -- is good.

Greed is right.

Greed works.

Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.

The point here is that greed for money and power (which you consider to be genetic traits) are often inseparable from a greed for knowledge (which you consider to be an intellectual trait). Genetics and intellect often go hand in hand.

Back in the "old days", the best killer got the girls

When we became "civilised ( lol )" success in business and politics substituted for brute force.

Yes it's genetic.

I never mentioned desire to learn- what I meant by "intellect" is the ability to be happy without being a big fish. Being happy is not a good way to get the "best" girls, IMO. Perhaps there's a better word than intellect fo what I mean, but I can't think of it right now.

Every year. As you probably know, you aren't necessarily looking for cancer but your exam results (blood, urine, ultrasound, x-rays... which I actually limit to once every few years, etc.) may point to further in depth tests if required. Also handy as literal evidence of not having an existing condition years down the road should there be any questions by the insurance folks.

That said, I've known more than a few folks who have had cancer sneak up on them anyway, tests not withstanding. Still, I'd say the odds are much better for those who are able to keep tabs on the various values, stats, and numbers their body produces.

And the above is a "winner" in my view. Someone that cares enough to take care of himself so as to not become a burden on anyone, or cause undue suffering to others. Every male should be checked for prostate cancer annually. That little poke also allows detection of anal cancer. Do that 1X year and you are a winner because you are putting the odds in your favour as early detection means a greater chance of surviving. . Women and men should be doing their respective testicular and breast exams regularly. Do that and your family is a winner. If you are over 50 and haven't had your colonoscopy yet, then you are a loser. This exam detects the polyps that can be removed before they develop into something lethal. My point is that if you care enough about your health, then it means you also care about your friends, lovers, companion critters, regular gik and families and that makes you a winner.

So, the message today is o be a winner and go and get your <deleted> colonoscopies, pap smears, prostate exams. You'll be a winner if you get to the cancer now.

And the above is a "winner" in my view. Someone that cares enough to take care of himself so as to not become a burden on anyone, or cause undue suffering to others. Every male should be checked for prostate cancer annually. That little poke also allows detection of anal cancer. Do that 1X year and you are a winner because you are putting the odds in your favour as early detection means a greater chance of surviving. . Women and men should be doing their respective testicular and breast exams regularly. Do that and your family is a winner. If you are over 50 and haven't had your colonoscopy yet, then you are a loser. This exam detects the polyps that can be removed before they develop into something lethal. My point is that if you care enough about your health, then it means you also care about your friends, lovers, companion critters, regular gik and families and that makes you a winner.

So, the message today is o be a winner and go and get your <deleted> colonoscopies, pap smears, prostate exams. You'll be a winner if you get to the cancer now.

Well, I'd just add that you need to be really sure about what the future holds if you do go for "the cure". Sometimes it's worse than just popping off while still "normal". Fancy being incontinent and impotent, plus getting permanently swollen legs from the radiation treatment, not to mention all the other potential complications? But hey, if living at any cost is more important than living well, just go for it.

PS, I'm not saying it always goes badly, just that one should be aware of the potential side effects before submitting to the knife or whatever. The internet is great for all sorts of medical information.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

[ So, the message today is o be a winner and go and get your <deleted> colonoscopies, pap smears, prostate exams. You'll be a winner if you get to the cancer now.

My message is different. Apart for the fact you're only going to catch a small percentage of cancers with the tests you name if a person is so concerned about cancer they're probably the type of stressed out individuals more likely to get cancer.

Well, I'd just add that you need to be really sure about what the future holds if you do go for "the cure". Sometimes it's worse than just popping off while still "normal". Fancy being incontinent and impotent, plus getting permanently swollen legs from the radiation treatment, not to mention all the other potential complications? But hey, if living at any cost is more important than living well, just go for it.

PS, I'm not saying it always goes badly, just that one should be aware of the potential side effects before submitting to the knife or whatever. The internet is great for all sorts of medical information.

The comparison in this situation is someone who undergoes early treatment (which can often just be simple outpatient surgery) to someone who undergoes late stage treatment (from chemo to the misc. exotic and painful treatments, whereas yes, that can be just as bad as someone who lets cancer run its course). If it does run its course though, at no 'early' point do you just 'pop off' unless you do it manually (with a firearm, syringe, gravity, etc.).

Edited by Heng

[ So, the message today is o be a winner and go and get your <deleted> colonoscopies, pap smears, prostate exams. You'll be a winner if you get to the cancer now.

My message is different. Apart for the fact you're only going to catch a small percentage of cancers with the tests you name if a person is so concerned about cancer they're probably the type of stressed out individuals more likely to get cancer.

The tests in a standard health check (just 4,000-6,000 Baht at Samitivej for example) for an adult aged 30-40 with a few extra tests tagged on would probably 'catch' or at least arouse suspicion in most doctors towards more than a small % of things that could be ailing you. Getting a regular health checkup is not a stressful thing at all. IMO it's on par with a typical run to the supermarket to stock up on groceries. Takes a few hours of your time out of an entire year. It's more economical/practical/logical than not getting checked up, that's for sure.

Anyway, the whole point of this tangent is that the 'poor living their blissful life in the ghetto' mosaic that pops up all the time does have this little 'health' issue as its natural (since we're all mortal) Achilles heel.

The tests in a standard health check (just 4,000-6,000 Baht at Samitivej for example) for an adult aged 30-40 with a few extra tests tagged on would probably 'catch' or at least arouse suspicion in most doctors towards more than a small % of things that could be ailing you. Getting a regular health checkup is not a stressful thing at all. IMO it's on par with a typical run to the supermarket to stock up on groceries. Takes a few hours of your time out of an entire year. It's more economical/practical/logical than not getting checked up, that's for sure.

Anyway, the whole point of this tangent is that the 'poor living their blissful life in the ghetto' mosaic that pops up all the time does have this little 'health' issue as its natural (since we're all mortal) Achilles heel.

Yet very few people "waste" their money on these tests. Why is that?

Yet very few people "waste" their money on these tests. Why is that?

Fear, both of the large and small varieties. Fear of little things like needles, sight of blood, for women: stirrups and submitting to an invasive procedure (men too eventually on the latter), etc. The same reason why most people don't get dental checkups and regular tartar scrapes and thus have horrible downward spiral type situations with their teeth. Also deeper issues like all the mortal reminders that hospitals provide live and in person. It's so much easier to get that 32 or 42 inch flat screen from Power Buy or Lotus (look how many 'poor' folks we see that have those in their living rooms but probably don't get health checks).

By the way, I'm sure most people know, but for those that don't, every December (edit: for Father's Day) a lot of private hospitals have 2 for 1 specials on health checks. I'm not big on 'sales' of any kind, as most of it is marketing, but these are true 2 for 1 buy one get one free deals. Ideal if you have a wife, SO, set of parents, or whoever who you care about.

Edited by Heng