Pla Nin Versus Pla Duk

Gary A

Ray, For starters you spend a lot of time in the pond,cleaning nets etc so with a 4 metre deep pond nets are virtually out of the equation,(unless you grow gills.

The blue fine mesh hapas are fine for fry or a few brood fish but useless for growing on fish, for that you need at least 1 inch mesh cages and these are expensive,

The fine blue mesh does not allow feed residue and poo to pass through so has to be removed and cleaned at least weekly.

You can buy a fairly robust 6 outlet 240v air pump at most good aquarium supply shops or for something more professional contact FarmAqua ,which is the fish farm machinery supplier section of Nam Sai Farms.

We use a large bus aircon blower driven by a 3 HP 240v motor ,it runs enough 5 inch stones to aerate 5 rai of ponds simultaniously, I run it through 2 inch PVC pipe with 1 1/2 inch branch lines.

We use 1 inch mesh cage for our sales fish but any longer than 2-3 days in there they start to look decidedly second rate and mortality gets high.

Nets are ok in rivers etc as there is natural water movement and water exchange but in a still pond this does not occur so the fish do there own exchange by swimming around ,they cant do this in the confines of a cage.

A 24 hour circulating pump would help but running costs would make it a no brainer.

Did the digger make nice long angle sides on the hole or just a square sided hole ?

The angles are good and he put walking pads about a meter wide and meter lower then the edge.Those areas will be grassed in. That will be the level where I will put pipes to drain is the water gets to deep with rain.

You know I'm only ,looking to sale 4 to 6 fish a day. So I might be better off to just use a fishing pole.

Now the big question where do put my deck to sip tea as become a fish Thiacon coffee1.gif

Bought a simple filteration system today that will supply oxygen in the above ground starter pond. Cement 2 meter by two meter and a meter high. I will wait till the get a bit of size to them before putting them in the big pond.

I try this and see how things go.

You know never really thought about getting as big a you, with the money the wife will get from the V.A. this will be a nice little supplement.

For my personal use I would like some fresh water prawns, but that is a completely different ball game.licklips.gif

Looks it up where they heck am I going to get brackish water

Edited by ray23

This filter and aireation system is so simple. Actually designed for ornamental ponds Gold Fish ect.

A Plastic box, with an inlet and outlet pipe and an overflow pipe. With a filter under the inlet. that catches all the goop. The water falls through the air taking some with it. When the filter is clogged you know as the water will come though the overflow where you can see it.

Recirculating the water keeps it with a small pump keeps it working.

I think I will give it a shot with my existing pond water and see if it can clean that.

You could actually do a big pond with a bigger system the same way. But, that one would be a tall order, considering volume.

Oh well I'm still having fun.

This filter and aireation system is so simple. Actually designed for ornamental ponds Gold Fish ect.

A Plastic box, with an inlet and outlet pipe and an overflow pipe. With a filter under the inlet. that catches all the goop. The water falls through the air taking some with it. When the filter is clogged you know as the water will come though the overflow where you can see it.

Recirculating the water keeps it with a small pump keeps it working.

I think I will give it a shot with my existing pond water and see if it can clean that.

You could actually do a big pond with a bigger system the same way. But, that one would be a tall order, considering volume.

Oh well I'm still having fun.

Sounds all good Ray

• 2 weeks later...

??????????????????????

If you have large cat fish can you add Cat Fish fingelings or will will they be eaten???

Locally we have been told that Thai's like them about 8 or 9 inches long.

We have 400 in the pond now with two feeding's a day and cosntant air being pumped into the pond

• 2 weeks later...

??????????????????????

If you have large cat fish can you add Cat Fish fingelings or will will they be eaten???

We have 400 in the pond now with two feeding's a day and cosntant air being pumped into the pond

Second question

At what point can you start to feed the bigger pellet food?

??????????????????????

Second question

At what point can you start to feed the bigger pellet food?

Hello ray

Its easyer to talk in howmuch fishes in one kg.

The thaise like 5 fishes in one kg.

And some thaise like smaller fishes for make pala tom tam.

The best pellets the medium size ,wy the medium size have more proteine,than the big pellets.

And for the catfishes you dont need airpumps,its air breding fish.

Only the water qaulity its ok thats al.

i did some experiens.

And the floding net iedea its a good thing,i have some pladuck big size en some small size and they eat like crazy in there

??????????????????????

The the big pladuck wil not smaal fingerlings ,i did one time overstocking ,and the buyer told me that this catfish no canabalisme have,only the big rusia.

I guess the descrition of th pellets would be meduim size. I tried some this morning they past on it. Put the small ones in and they began eating like usual. They are about four inches long right now. I will give it anothre try next week.

Knowing they won't eat the small ones is good. Then I can replace them as I go long.

On sales we may just ser upa BBQ and sale them cooked, no middle man. Shopuod be able to have a better profit as long a I can keep product. Cooked along the road side we are seeing prices as mush a 80 baht per fish. So that may just ne the way to go. Nothing etched in stone yet.

I have ground watre in the pla nin pond. In the next week or so I will pump in some mature pond water adn see if I get my green. That is when I really sen the fort time. But, the wife didnot do what Dom said. Wiser in her mind to do what the guy selling to her said. I will watch that one. I know Dom and I know the careful research he does.

So good probablitiy we will start the Plan Nin in about three weeks.

Thanks

Guys

Newbie Question. Can Catfish, Tilapia and Barra be raised in the same pond?

Barra will gobble down anything they get their lips around ,including other barra.

Suspected as much. I've looked over the farm site mentioned here, Nam Sai and the prices all talk in huge units of fry or fingerling.

I'm only looking to stock a pond of about half a rai, do the sell in small amounts?

Last question, do green ponds stink?

I guess the descrition of th pellets would be meduim size. I tried some this morning they past on it. Put the small ones in and they began eating like usual. They are about four inches long right now. I will give it anothre try next week.

Knowing they won't eat the small ones is good. Then I can replace them as I go long.

On sales we may just ser upa BBQ and sale them cooked, no middle man. Shopuod be able to have a better profit as long a I can keep product. Cooked along the road side we are seeing prices as mush a 80 baht per fish. So that may just ne the way to go. Nothing etched in stone yet.

I have ground watre in the pla nin pond. In the next week or so I will pump in some mature pond water adn see if I get my green. That is when I really sen the fort time. But, the wife didnot do what Dom said. Wiser in her mind to do what the guy selling to her said. I will watch that one. I know Dom and I know the careful research he does.

So good probablitiy we will start the Plan Nin in about three weeks.

Thanks

Guys

Chek first if your groud water its not to salt for the planin.

And about green water <zooplakton < fil the pond to 30 cm and wait fore one week

Barra will gobble down anything they get their lips around ,including other barra.

Suspected as much. I've looked over the farm site mentioned here, Nam Sai and the prices all talk in huge units of fry or fingerling.

I'm only looking to stock a pond of about half a rai, do the sell in small amounts?

Its stink a litle bit ,but like alge.

Its stink a litle bit ,but like alge.

Do they make a mosquito problem or do the fish eat the larvae?

I believe that catfish if large enough tend to eat small tilapia. wife just told me yesterday a case, that a catfish he found in the lake with a tilapia's tale in its mouth, saffocated. not that i care the tilapia, that is our fun fishing lake, so, i rather have some larger catfish doing the tilapia birth control than millions of baby tilapia.