Cant Open Bank Account

Bangkok Bank do it. It on their Web site. But I say Kasikorn Bank is my choice much better customerservices especially for expats.

Bangkok Bank located on Second Road, North Pattaya, also requires a Work Permit. I haven't tried the other ones, but I think this is the biggest one in the Pattaya Area, so they must know what's on their own website :whistling:

Edited by MJCM

K-A-S-I-K-O-R-N

20 minutes for opening an account on a 30 day visa exempt stamp, including the bank book and visa debit card.

My kasikorn experience:

Number girl at entrance: yes?

Me: i want to open a savings account.

Girl: have work permit?

Me: No.

Girl: CANNOT!!

Me: GIVE ME NUMBER!

20 minutes later account was opened. Don't give up too early when talking to some service-resistant lower staff.

I only have a 30 day visa waiver stamp.....but have a lot of them.....and managed to open 2 personal accounts and one joint account.

If they are seemingly rejecting you, all you have to do is say "I double checked on the internet and on your website and it says I don't need a visa". They will then double check with their supervisor or call somewhere else to confirm and you will be able to open one, trust me.

But getting your cards to work online and to get internet banking is a different matter.

Bangkok Bank do it. It on their Web site. But I say Kasikorn Bank is my choice much better customerservices especially for expats.

Bangkok Bank located on Second Road, North Pattaya, also requires a Work Permit. I haven't tried the other ones, but I think this is the biggest one in the Pattaya Area, so they must know what's on their own website :whistling:

It's on the BB website in ENGLISH, but is it on the BB website in THAI?

After all we all know foreigners don't need a WP to open an account, it's the Thai staff of the banks that don't know.

I opened a Bank Account with Bangkok Bank yesterday.

They just photocopied my passport and had me sign it.

Didn't ask for any other documentation.

I opened a Bank Account with Bangkok Bank yesterday.

They just photocopied my passport and had me sign it.

Didn't ask for any other documentation.

at the same branch as MJCM?

That's the branch where they asked me for a work permit also.

Maybe they've been retrained in the meantime?

Different branch, but that's always been the game, some branches don't want accounts from foreigners.

Why fixate on one branch, when there are so many to choose from?

Different branch, but that's always been the game, some branches don't want accounts from foreigners.

Upcountry perhaps but Pattaya has a pretty sizeable foreign population but if the biggest branch in the city doesn't know the rules what chance the others?

Upcountry perhaps but Pattaya has a pretty sizeable foreign population but if the biggest branch in the city doesn't know the rules what chance the others?

I don't think it's a question of not knowing the rules.

Some Thai bank managers just don't seem to want foreigners as customers.

The staff can't read our script, can't be bothered to try and speak English, or are just plain racist.

Or maybe they don't like tattooed oiks in singlets, shorts and sandals accompanied by obvious prostitutes looking untidy in their bank.

Who can really tell?

The staff can't read our script, can't be bothered to try and speak English, or are just plain racist.

Or maybe they don't like tattooed oiks in singlets, shorts and sandals accompanied by obvious prostitutes looking untidy in their bank.

Who can really tell?

I can agree to a certain point with the points you are making, but when I tried to open the account at that Branch, I was wearing long trousers and a long sleeved shirt, and I was also carrying our "other Bank" Bank Books (to show them how much money we would be transferring into their bank (well over a couple of Million Baht).

He had a long look, but that even did not change his decision, He just said: "Sorry you can't open, you need work permit, orders from Bangkok".

He even said sorry, and then we left, we haven't been back since (and no intention to go back either).

I also agree with PP , "If the biggest branch in the city doesn't know the rules what chance the others."

The two BBL Employees that freq. browse TV and answer questions (Daveroc, and the other Foreign employee (forgot his name :jap: )) have their work cut out for them, to train Branch Staff and to assist Foreigners on how to deal with unwilling / ignorant Bank Employees.

But TV users are very fortunate that these 2 guys are here to help in dealing with BBL, as I haven't seen any other Bank offering their services on this Medium.

I personally have given up and just stay with my Shitty Bank :violin:

Who can really tell?

But the BB main branch in Pattaya already has a lot of farang customers, and probably a lot of them without work permits, so why wouldn't they want more?

I can't believe how many people enjoy banging their head against a wall.

My understanding is that the WP is actually required by law, and that some banks/branches/employees are willing to be flexible.

However my main point is that what the actual truth is about that fact is irrelevant - this is Thailand, where logic and consistency don't apply, full stop.

And it's not worth the time and energy having any kind of discussion about it with any bank staffer.

When one says no, move on to the next one, and you will find one - no problem.

If you really have to have an account with a certain bank, then try different branches.

If you really have to open at a particular branch (e.g. convenient hours) then just go back and try a different staffer next time.

Any other approach is just needless aggravation and a waste of time and energy.

:D

I've had a joint bank Bangkok Bank account for nearly 20 years with my Thai girlfriend.

When I tried to open my retirement bank account my local Bangkok Bank branch tried that "need a letter from the embessy" story to open a bank account.

I had a non O multi-entry visa at the time, good for one year.

So instead of argueing with them, I went acroos Bangkok to the branch where we opened that joint account 20 years ago with my Thai girlfriend in tow.

She explained to them in Thai why I needed a bank account in my name....and 10 minutes later it was done and I had an ATM card.

It all comes under the "living in Thailand" blanket.

I've had a joint bank Bangkok Bank account for nearly 20 years with my Thai girlfriend.

When I tried to open my retirement bank account my local Bangkok Bank branch tried that "need a letter from the embessy" story to open a bank account.

I had a non O multi-entry visa at the time, good for one year.

So instead of argueing with them, I went acroos Bangkok to the branch where we opened that joint account 20 years ago with my Thai girlfriend in tow.

She explained to them in Thai why I needed a bank account in my name....and 10 minutes later it was done and I had an ATM card.

It all comes under the "living in Thailand" blanket.

BKK has two application forms for foreigners to open accounts (application for foreign resident, application for tourist).

Both have the requirements to open an account printed on them.

I found asking for the application forms solves most problems.

Tourist opening account needs passport and letter from another BKK account holder.

Foreign resident opening account needs suitable Visa in passport.

Edited by ludditeman

I think all the branches are different irrespective of what the rules actually are, or what they publish on their websites.

I opened an account (resident, interest bearing) with Bangkok Bank in Chiang Saen. My wife pre-empted the whole thing having spoken to the manager before we both went in there.

I was on a tourist visa and was also asked for my marriage certificate. I only deposited ฿500 plus the card fees. Internet banking was also applied for, but needed the assistance of Daveroc from this forum to actually get it to work!

to the OP...

Just keep trying.

They opened one for me recently just because I wanted to rent a safety deposit box and

then they could auotmatically deduct the rent for it next year from the account !!:ermm:

Edited by khaan

I happened to be in the Don Mueang immigration building today to get my 30 day extension on my tourist visa, and I remembered reading this thread a few days ago. So I popped down to the Kasikorn Bank (or kasikornbank as they seem to like to spell it) in the lower level to see what kind of a hornet's nest I could stir up. The nice lady said there would be no problem opening any sort of account and I was out of there in about ten minutes with my ATM card and passbook*. So I heartily second the nomination of Kasikorn for the winner of easiest bank to roll over and want its belly scratched no matter what visa you're holding.

*For the benefit of those who are not still living in the year 1975, the passbook is a paper register that gets stampted/updated whenever you perform some banking transaction in person. I thought it was awfully quaint, like it was in the USA 40 years ago before the age of computers. I'm not sure how it gets updated if I wire money in or make a deposit into an ATM.

Edited by attrayant

I'm not sure how it gets updated if I wire money in or make a deposit into an ATM.

Kbank (and others) have special machines alongside their branch ATMs for passbook updates. Just stick the passbook in and the missing transactions are printed in.

BKK has two application forms for foreigners to open accounts (application for foreign resident, application for tourist).

Both have the requirements to open an account printed on them.

I found asking for the application forms solves most problems.

Tourist opening account needs passport and letter from another BKK account holder.

Foreign resident opening account needs suitable Visa in passport.

Actually, BKK Bank has a webpage that explains their requirements for farang to open new accounts. And for tourists and various others, there are several different ways they can quality in terms of the documents required....not just a letter of recommendation from a variety of folks.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok%20Bank/Personal%20Banking/Foreign%20Customers/Pages/Opening%20an%20account%20new.aspx#11

Quoted in part....

Even if you are only visiting Thailand for a relatively short period of time, you can open a savings account and get a debit card to use for shopping and ATM withdrawals. All you will need to provide is your passport and one other official identification document – for example, your driver’s license or a reference letter from your embassy, your home bank or a person acceptable to the bank. (More details below.)

You will also need to provide evidence of your address in Thailand as well as your regular address in your home country.

Meanwhile, had a friend from New Zealand visiting lately who wanted to open another Thai bank account, beyond the K Bank account he already had.

Went to several different branches of SCB with his KBank passbook, APEC card and various other things in hand.... But none of the SCB branches he visited would open a new account unless he had a work permit -- even though the bank's HQ has confirmed to me in the past that they don't require only work permits.

So he ended up going to a branch of BKK Bank and they were happy to open a new account for him quickly and without any fuss in line with their stated policy above.... though they wouldn't set up online banking.